Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 10:04:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Closing: Last Call] Accepting BTC and LTC for surplus technology  (Read 9067 times)
nimda

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
September 22, 2012, 04:10:07 PM

Got any window motors? Jaguar controllers? Spike relays?

Building a robot? haha.
Why not?
Got any window motors? Jaguar controllers? Spike relays?

Motors of many sorts, including the steppers mentioned ^. No and no on the controller and the relays.
Can you post some pics and quotes?

Thanks.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
capn noe (OP)

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 22, 2012, 04:21:30 PM

Thanks.

Please please PLEASE search for 'motor' on the inventory page and link what you are interested in. Pics have already been taken, and a rule of thumb price attached.
nimda

Activity: 784

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
September 22, 2012, 05:16:45 PM

Thanks.

Please please PLEASE search for 'motor' on the inventory page and link what you are interested in. Pics have already been taken, and a rule of thumb price attached.
ok thanks
capn noe (OP)

View Profile
September 22, 2012, 05:39:27 PM

I think if you could get a mtgox 'buy with bitcoin' button on the web site you'd sell lots of stuff.

I want to revisit this sometime in the future, but I'm not going to do this.

For one, I'm terrified that someone will manipulate the value of BTC one night and I'll end up stuck with an order for 10k USD worth of printers on a skid to be shipped to Germany for like 10BTC or something, with the buyer claiming I'm a scammer for not wanting to go through with it.

I also don't value BTC at 'the most recent price from MtGOX'. I don't care if BTC are going for 30 USD each right now, if the average price over the last few weeks has been 10 then around 10 is what I'm going to value it at.

I cannot imagine opening myself up to potential ruin by allowing an automated BTC system into my business right now. The community has proven to be very scammer-laden and hacker-laden, I don't even find any reason to trust MtGox to not manipulate the market itself for their own whims. The thought of a glitch in MtGox systems allowing people to put PO's in for almost no BTC... and then have the printers in my shipping department kick out the PO's automatically (which our system does when someone pays for an item) means that by the time I catch it dozens of labor hours may have already been wasted.

So, for now, I am not considering doing anything other than what we are doing here. I'm receptive, but critical.
capn noe (OP)

View Profile
September 22, 2012, 07:08:01 PM

1BTC each for the NEMA 23 motors sounds very reasonable, couldn't find a datasheet for that exact model but the link below looks close, 200 steps/rev with good torque. Can you get me a price for shipping on 3 to Ireland?

http://cnc25.free.fr/documentation/moteurs%20pap/pap_nmb.pdf

I'm looking at about 50USD for a flat rate international box from USPS. That is.... steep, but if you are willing to pay it....

That's for a medium box. It is only another 10 for a large. If you see more things you want, it might just be worthwhile to cram it full....
Beaflag VonRathburg

Activity: 472
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 22, 2012, 08:55:13 PM

Do you purchase and or trade surplus? I have some items that I'm looking to sell in a bulk package. I'm also within a drivable distance if I made a day out of it.

capn noe (OP)

View Profile
September 23, 2012, 02:18:48 AM

Do you purchase and or trade surplus? I have some items that I'm looking to sell in a bulk package. I'm also within a drivable distance if I made a day out of it.

We do, but it has to be a really really good price or something a client is looking for. PM me what you have/are talking about and I'll see what we can do.
capn noe (OP)

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 11:35:35 PM

I just got 15 dual core Lenovo R61 laptops in. I'll have them refurbished and ready for sale by the end of the week. Is there any interest for one on here? If so, I'd let 3 of them go for BTC....
Beaflag VonRathburg

Activity: 472

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 01:37:00 AM

We do, but it has to be a really really good price or something a client is looking for. PM me what you have/are talking about and I'll see what we can do.

I shot you a couple PMs with most of the information. In the mean time you get a free bump.  Wink

davidj411

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 01:47:06 AM

Yes, what do you have for linear drives? I'm really interested.
firefop

Activity: 420

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 04:11:42 AM

I think if you could get a mtgox 'buy with bitcoin' button on the web site you'd sell lots of stuff.

I want to revisit this sometime in the future, but I'm not going to do this.

For one, I'm terrified that someone will manipulate the value of BTC one night and I'll end up stuck with an order for 10k USD worth of printers on a skid to be shipped to Germany for like 10BTC or something, with the buyer claiming I'm a scammer for not wanting to go through with it.

I also don't value BTC at 'the most recent price from MtGOX'. I don't care if BTC are going for 30 USD each right now, if the average price over the last few weeks has been 10 then around 10 is what I'm going to value it at.

I cannot imagine opening myself up to potential ruin by allowing an automated BTC system into my business right now. The community has proven to be very scammer-laden and hacker-laden, I don't even find any reason to trust MtGox to not manipulate the market itself for their own whims. The thought of a glitch in MtGox systems allowing people to put PO's in for almost no BTC... and then have the printers in my shipping department kick out the PO's automatically (which our system does when someone pays for an item) means that by the time I catch it dozens of labor hours may have already been wasted.

So, for now, I am not considering doing anything other than what we are doing here. I'm receptive, but critical.

Hm, as a business owner, would it make you feel better if there was a service doing conversion to fiat at time of purchase? If that's something you've be more interested in... I'm sure someone might be able to point you in the direction of such a service... if not I might just have to design one for you. =P

capn noe (OP)

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 10:29:03 AM
Last edit: September 25, 2012, 10:45:47 AM by capn noe

Hm, as a business owner, would it make you feel better if there was a service doing conversion to fiat at time of purchase? If that's something you've be more interested in... I'm sure someone might be able to point you in the direction of such a service... if not I might just have to design one for you. =P

In theory, sure, though at that point I might as well just stick to USD. My problem isn't with holding BTC it's making sure I decrease my risk to strange market manipulations in the middle of the night. If I had an automated BTC system I'd want it to value BTC at the weekly average, with a manual approval required to update every week. In theory that's what I'd like to use but only experience will teach me what I need.

Other than not trusting any of the exchanges, I also value BTC (for now) differently for shipping costs and product. For product I'm valuing BTC at around 10USD but for shipping I'm cutting this in half. For 30 dollars worth of product that costs 20 dollars worth of shipping I'd charge 7BTC.

I'm looking to collect BTC in the hopes that later I can find people who will take it for labor trades. Graphics design, web design, sales calling, voice acting, and other remote services are all likely BTC paid candidates. We also use Tradebank in order to gain labor and service trade with local businesses and we get more than a little trade from it. I'm trying to view it like that.

Anyone else on here use Tradebank?
capn noe (OP)

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 05:27:01 PM

I just got something in that I thought some of you might be interested in.

10 Antique IBM Type M keyboards:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02og1nUSI8A

These are the base keyboards for almost all steampunk keyboard mods (such as the datamancer keyboards), and are frankly awesome. They range from 1987 to 1994 models.

Anyone interested? I'm still in the process of cleaning out the insides, testing all keys, and taking images of each. I'll post them here when I'm done. Usually I just throw these on ebay when I find them but..... bitcoin!
danieldaniel

Activity: 854

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 07:02:13 PM

These are the base keyboards for almost all steampunk keyboard mods (such as the datamancer keyboards), and are frankly awesome. They range from 1987 to 1994 models.

Anyone interested? I'm still in the process of cleaning out the insides, testing all keys, and taking images of each. I'll post them here when I'm done. Usually I just throw these on ebay when I find them but..... bitcoin!
Do you own or work for this company?  Also, really cool.  I'm definitely going to come here when I need something.

firefop

Activity: 420

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 11:07:51 PM

In theory, sure, though at that point I might as well just stick to USD. My problem isn't with holding BTC it's making sure I decrease my risk to strange market manipulations in the middle of the night. If I had an automated BTC system I'd want it to value BTC at the weekly average, with a manual approval required to update every week. In theory that's what I'd like to use but only experience will teach me what I need.

Other than not trusting any of the exchanges, I also value BTC (for now) differently for shipping costs and product. For product I'm valuing BTC at around 10USD but for shipping I'm cutting this in half. For 30 dollars worth of product that costs 20 dollars worth of shipping I'd charge 7BTC.

I'm looking to collect BTC in the hopes that later I can find people who will take it for labor trades. Graphics design, web design, sales calling, voice acting, and other remote services are all likely BTC paid candidates. We also use Tradebank in order to gain labor and service trade with local businesses and we get more than a little trade from it. I'm trying to view it like that.

Anyone else on here use Tradebank?

I sort of understand - sort of, no  I guess I really don't understand. What makes you think you're going to be able to sell product when you're undervalueing btc by 12% ? Its like charing me extra to pay with btc. In this scenario I'd rather pay your retail price in fiat and hold onto my btc.

That being said - if your goal is to collect btc in the hopes of using it to pay for services later --- then you shouldn't care about market manipulations - because even if the price is manipulated by say +50% when someone buys from you... on a long enough time-line it will increase in value to the point where you can trade/sell it above the manipulated price.

My advice would be this - Set a limit on dollar amount of purchases in BTC. Make it small enough that you'd feel comfortable with the risk (read: shorter time to recovery value if there's market manipulation)... and automate the purchase process. That way sales can trickle in --- and you don't have to mess with each one =P

capn noe (OP)

View Profile
October 02, 2012, 09:48:37 AM

Yes, what do you have for linear drives? I'm really interested.

This isn't what you are looking for probably, but....

The linear rail system from inside most inkjet printers is removable from the printer as a complete assembly. This includes tensioning, stepper mount, rails (usually with cotter pin), belts, and the like. I have around 80 matching pairs pulled already. I'm about to start testing the motors to see if I can drive them with a RAMPS board. If I can, I feel VERY confident that a 3d printer can be built with a few pairs. I almost think you can get away with making inkjet cart adapters to put at the end of the X axis rails to attach to the Y axis rails.

I'll post some images of what I'm talking about later today when I get into the shop. I'm not as interested in selling those as I am getting them to other devs that might want to poke around with a few pairs.

I also run into linear rail bearings sometimes, though I haven't in a while. I'll take a look around and see if anything stands out. I also find EXCEPTIONAL linear rail systems inside some tape jukeboxes and large format plotters.

Personally, especially for building mills, I am a HUGE fan of the HBLB-34 design http://www.buildyouridea.com/cnc/hblb/phase8/phase8.html for a DIY solution. I built a few of these back when I owned an aluminum foundry and was EXTREMELY pleased with the results. I know that wasn't what you asked for but I had a sudden urge to nerd out about DIY rail bearing systems.

Do you own or work for this company?  Also, really cool.  I'm definitely going to come here when I need something.

I do sales for them, though in this BTC experiment I'm pretty much on my own. I do shipping and handling of sales I make, personally. This is part of the reason that my orders take a week or so to get out the door, I test everything I sell myself personally. This means I am a semi-professional power cable hunter 80% of the time.

I'm also really really suprised that nobody has asked about any of the electrical equipment. There are new in box electrical sub panels, industrial breakers, 20 amp special grade receptacles, etc etc; I just kinda expected to get hit with more requests than I have. Not upset about it, just surprised.

Firefop : still mulling over my reply, I understand what you are saying and I agree tentatively. My largest concern is that I just cannot use BTC to cover any of my overhead, ESPECIALLY shipping. I'll sell you almost anything off that page for around 50-70% listed price in USD, and in a way I AM charging a premium for taking BTC. This may not be fair but, again, I'm terrified of BTC. I'd accept face value BTC at current price if I could get purchasers to pay USD for shipping, gladly. Still.... considering. Because I don't plan on 'cashing out' my BTC I'm somewhat insulated from market manipulations... except for the cash overhead in shipping costs.

... even if the price is manipulated by say +50% when someone buys from you... on a long enough time-line it will increase in value to the point where you can trade/sell it above the manipulated price.

Undecided ...................maybe
Aahzman

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

Your *what* is itchy?

View Profile
October 02, 2012, 11:04:09 AM

If you have a modded Wii, and you want to rip original Wii game disks to ISOs for burning, this guy will be a good source of the short list of DVD drive models that can do it.
LG -8164b
* LG-8163b
* LG-8162b
* LG-8161b

A quick search revealed about 30 units from this list available. doesn't matter what the letters (HL, LG, GDR, GRD, whatever), you're looking for 816xb where x is a 1 2 3 or 4.

;-)

capn noe (OP)

View Profile
October 02, 2012, 11:11:18 AM
Last edit: October 02, 2012, 11:24:43 AM by capn noe

If you have a modded Wii, and you want to rip original Wii game disks to ISOs for burning, this guy will be a good source of the short list of DVD drive models that can do it.
LG -8164b
* LG-8163b
* LG-8162b
* LG-8161b

A quick search revealed about 30 units from this list available. doesn't matter what the letters (HL, LG, GDR, GRD, whatever), you're looking for 816xb where x is a 1 2 3 or 4.

;-)

Whoa. I checked for xbox360 compat drives but not wii.

1btc each!

\/ They really are quite lovely to work on, though they make a hell of a racket.  Grin

For anyone interested in steampunk keyboard mods with these, check out http://steampunkworkshop.com/keyboard.shtml
Aahzman

Your *what* is itchy?

View Profile
October 02, 2012, 11:19:25 AM

mmmm IBM "Indestructibles"....i still have a couple of those. I love that clackity-clack sound when I'm pounding away at a particularly anger-filled facebook rant.

Aahzman

Your *what* is itchy?

View Profile
October 02, 2012, 11:23:01 AM

LG -8164b
* LG-8163b
* LG-8162b
* LG-8161b

;-)

Whoa. I checked for xbox360 compat drives but not wii.

1btc each!

If i didn't already have an 8164b somewhere in my office, i'd maybe buy one...or not, actually, since I'm selling my entire wii bundle off (bought a condo, getting married...) but yeah, they ain't the fastest, but they are the only models of drives found by the Afterdawn community to consistently rip wii discs error-free.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: