Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 05:40:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Will occasional losses of bitcoin wallets limit available maximum bitcoins?  (Read 26887 times)
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
December 30, 2010, 05:06:19 AM

Bill Gates would no longer be in the top ten most rich people list.
that should be fine if it's a result of the owner's fault, under other circumstances, if he's a victim of a crime (theft, sabotage, etc), most people will probably think not having a lost-coin recovery mechanism is a flaw.

Such a mechanism would make bitcoin network unnecessary more complex.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
December 30, 2010, 05:11:28 AM

that should be fine if it's a result of the owner's fault, under other circumstances, if he's a victim of a crime (theft, sabotage, etc), most people will probably think not having a lost-coin recovery mechanism is a flaw.

Some will, certianly.  Those people can stick to paypal, or buy insurance.  Not that a sum as large as what Bill Gates could hold in bitcoin is insurable, but it might for others.  I expect that, eventually, bitcoin banks and similar institutions a la Mybitcoin will have to be insured against liability losses in order to attract and keep customers, but the fees that they charge will have to be low enough to compete with the cost of regular bitcoin transactions, as a well managed personal client with encrypted backups is as good a form of prevention of loss as can be insured against for most people with the good sense to accumulate any notable sum.

Sorry about the long sentence, btw.  That's just how long it needed to be.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
nanotube

Activity: 482
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2010, 05:17:52 AM

what's your coin recovery mechanism when someone breaks into your house and steals your stash of cash and valuables?

the 'stolen bitcoin' recovery mechanism is exactly the same.

Join #bitcoin-market on freenode for real-time market updates.
Join #bitcoin-otc - an over-the-counter trading market. http://bitcoin-otc.com
OTC web of trust: http://bitcoin-otc.com/trust.php
My trust rating: http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=nanotube
Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2010, 06:10:52 AM

what's your coin recovery mechanism when someone breaks into your house and steals your stash of cash and valuables?

Can you imagine going to the police today to report the theft of your wallet.dat  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
December 30, 2010, 07:13:45 AM

Can you imagine going to the police today to report the theft of your wallet.dat  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

I would imagine that the end results would be the same as when I reported my stolen bicycle as a child.  Too many adults still have a childlike faith in the abilities of the police.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
em3rgentOrdr

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2010, 07:39:28 AM

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

I would imagine that the end results would be the same as when I reported my stolen bicycle as a child.  Too many adults still have a childlike faith in the abilities of the police.

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."
The Madhatter

Activity: 490
Merit: 509

My avatar pic says it all

View Profile
December 30, 2010, 08:22:56 AM

Too many adults still have a childlike faith in the abilities of the police.

Ain't that the truth.

The police here couldn't find their ass with both hands. They'd likely just have glazed-over eyes if you tried to report a stolen wallet.dat file. Tongue

If you were really lucky they'd find something to charge you with. Perhaps a burnt out tail light on your car?
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
January 01, 2011, 08:06:57 PM

If you were really lucky they'd find something to charge you with. Perhaps a burnt out tail light on your car?

Damn, i really hate this as it is very common in my country.
You come to them asking for help, and you get your ass kicked instead.

FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2011, 08:55:13 PM

What? Don't they work for you? If you don't get service that you like stop paying, they aren't going to force you to keep paying, they aren't the criminals.

/sarcasm

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
pull

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 01, 2011, 09:32:21 PM

What? Don't they work for you? If you don't get service that you like stop paying, they aren't going to force you to keep paying, they aren't the criminals.

/sarcasm
Indeed. Hey freemoney, check your PM's... I've been trying to get ahold of you..
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

View Profile
January 05, 2011, 03:23:30 PM

What? Don't they work for you?

Not really. Not in this country...

If you don't get service that you like stop paying, they aren't going to force you to keep paying, they aren't the criminals.
/sarcasm

If you stop paying, you go to jail. Closed loop.

bitk

Activity: 25

View Profile
January 07, 2011, 02:02:11 AM

Backing up your wallet after every transaction is pure madness. Consider small marketplaces or "banks", that might receive several transactions per minute. If their server goes boom, the wallet and the backup might be both gone.

EDIT: Sorry for not finding this before, it's explained on http://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Securing_your_wallet

So, if I understand correctly, if you backup your wallet every 100 address creations or transactions, you're just fine, right? This actually sounds reasonable, I must say. Almost more secure than physical wallet actually.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12968

View Profile
January 07, 2011, 02:04:58 AM

Backing up your wallet after every transaction is pure madness. Consider small marketplaces or "banks", that might receive several transactions per minute. If their server goes boom, the wallet and the backup might be both gone.

You don't have to back up after every transaction. You only have to back up every 100 sends or address creations. And if you set keypool=10000, you only have to back up every 10000 sends/keys.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

View Profile
January 07, 2011, 02:40:01 AM

On Linux/UNIX there are network filesystems such as NFS and CODA, which can give you multiple backups on many servers at once. Everything everywhere cannot just go "boom" all in the same time.
Not saying about ZFS, SAN/RAID disk arrays, and lots of other technologies which give you multiple data redundancy. You can have as many backup servers as you want... possibilities are endless.

Anyway, this is not really a problem, because modern banks all use electronic currencies already, and if their computer systems failed, people would lose money the same way as they would lose bitcoins...

bitcool
Legendary

Activity: 1441
Merit: 1000

Live and enjoy experiments

View Profile
January 07, 2011, 04:21:35 AM
Last edit: January 12, 2011, 04:04:08 AM by bitcool

Anyway, this is not really a problem, because modern banks all use electronic currencies already, and if their computer systems failed, people would lose money the same way as they would lose bitcoins...
I haven't heard any incidents that depositors lost all their money because their bank's computer failed... and there's always a FDIC to fall back on.

The more I think about this, the more scenarios I can think of:
1. File or machine corruptions (once you make an transaction, the previously backup wallet file become useless, correct?)
2. Some % of new users will abandon their bitcoin wallets or bank accounts, along with whatever balance in them.
3. If there's an error in the address, payment is sent to a "no man's land", the BTCs are essentially lost forever.

My ballpark estimate is there will be 5%~10% bitcoins disappear from circulation every year and this will create significant deflation pressure, once the generation curve flattens.
bitcool
Legendary

Activity: 1441
Merit: 1000

Live and enjoy experiments

View Profile
January 07, 2011, 04:36:10 AM

had a back of the envelop calculation: if the loss rate is 10% per annual, it will take 21 years to reach the 1/10 mark, which can be compensated by moving the decimal point one digit to the right. Not too bad indeed.
da2ce7
Legendary

Activity: 1222
Merit: 1016

Live and Let Live

View Profile
January 07, 2011, 05:33:47 AM

There is nothing to worry about.  Just feel sorry for the suckers who loose their wallets.  Sad

contrary to common belief on this forum;  there is a damage done to the Bitcoin economy when on looses his or her Bitcoins to the either.

If somebody is capable earning Bitcoin, then they will be more likely to re-invest those Bitcoins effectively, thus growing the Bitcoin economy faster than the natural deflation cause by lost coins.

However, as coins get worth more, the number lost will lessen.

One off NP-Hard.
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

View Profile
January 07, 2011, 09:54:34 AM

had a back of the envelop calculation: if the loss rate is 10% per annual, it will take 21 years to reach the 1/10 mark, which can be compensated by moving the decimal point one digit to the right. Not too bad indeed.

I seriously doubt that 10% of gold/silver/platinum bullion is lost every year...

Once people understand that bitcoin is a hard money & a commodity, they will protect it with their lives, the same as they do with normal bullion. Therefore, i think that 10% may be probable for the first few years of bitcoin adoption, and when masses understand the power of bitcoin, the loses will fall to 3% or less.

----
EDIT:
Also, new, better clients will be created with built-in multiple automatic wallet backups & data redundancy (or it will be implemented in the default client). So the losing of a wallet will become less common.

E-conomictest

Activity: 5

View Profile
January 12, 2011, 02:56:05 AM

Well I never loosed my wallets but, if some of you say that "there is no recovery", then maybe in the time of the coins creation there is a limitation of available max. bitcoins since there's a loss. (of course quantitatively.)
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

View Profile
January 14, 2011, 04:11:08 AM

Personally i simply double-backup my whole partition every day (weird RAID configuration).

Also, i backup my wallet on a pendrive every longer period of time.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: