Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 06:17:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Vanitygen: How to easily generate vanity address - Mac OSX?  (Read 3544 times)
Nyau (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 02:59:39 PM

TSIA. I found some tutorials, but it's way harder than the Windows method and I want something easy.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
GoingAround

Activity: 476
Merit: 252

ImmVRse | Disrupting the VR industry

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 04:02:49 PM

If you dont want to use your Mac OS with a tutorial, run a linux OS from USB drive and generate them with vanity gen or just boot up a virtual machine on virtualbox with windows and then generate the addresses there.

▄▄█████▄▄
▄█████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████████▀
▀▀█████▀▀

████          ████  ███████████▄▄                                
▀███▄        ▄███▀  █████████████▄                               
██    ▄███▄     ▄███▄      ▄███▄     ▄███▄   ████        ████            ▀████    ▄██████████▄     ▄██████████
██    ██ ██     ██ ██      ██ ██     ██ ██    ████      ████             ▄████   ██▀        ▀██   ██▀        
██   ██   ██   ██   ██    ██   ██   ██   ██   ▀███▄    ▄███▀    █████████████▀   ▀██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄    ███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
██   ██   ██   ██   ██    ██   ██   ██   ██    ████    ████     ███████████▀▀      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄  ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
██  ██     ██ ██     ██  ██     ██ ██     ██    ████  ████      ████   ████      ██▄        ▄██   ██▄        
██  ██     ▀███▀     ██  ██     ▀███▀     ██    ▀███▄▄███▀      ████    ████      ▀██████████▀     ▀██████████
████████       ████     ████                                
██████        ████      ████                                

WHITEPAPER    ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
APPLY FOR CROWDSALE
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀    BITCOINTALK

Proud Sponsor of
Blockchain 360 at
London Tech Week
  ◢  FACEBOOK
◢  TWITTER
◢  TELEGRAM
◢  MEDIUM
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
July 05, 2015, 04:15:57 PM

Follow http://www.stanley-adams.co.uk/2013/12/custom-vanity-bitcoin-address/.

By the way, which part is hard for you?

upsidedown75
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1036

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 04:43:28 PM

i have got the same question. is there a java tool or something around what is platform in independent?
Nyau (OP)

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 04:53:42 PM

Everything. I'm not coder and I don't understand it, so it's really hard for me even with step-by-step tut. Let's say I'm asking for someones ready to use binary..

If you dont want to use your Mac OS with a tutorial, run a linux OS from USB drive and generate them with vanity gen or just boot up a virtual machine on virtualbox with windows and then generate the addresses there.

I'm installing Windows 10 through Paralells Desktop, hope it works on it.. Smiley
Rmcdermott927
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1140

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 06:46:21 PM

By the way, there is a vanity address generator website. DO NOT USE THEM.    I had over 3 BTC stolen because they apparently log the private keys.   It is a scam.  Make sure to use the software and generate your own.

Nyau (OP)

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 07:11:19 PM

By the way, there is a vanity address generator website. DO NOT USE THEM.    I had over 3 BTC stolen because they apparently log the private keys.   It is a scam.  Make sure to use the software and generate your own.

I know.. I tried to generate it, but I found some threads about people being scammed by them Smiley
Thanks for advice.
Possum577

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2015, 06:00:16 AM

Mac OSX vs any other operating system has nothing to do with it. Here's a site for you -> http://bitcoinvanitygen.com/

Good luck.

Nyau (OP)

View Profile
July 06, 2015, 11:50:20 AM

Mac OSX vs any other operating system has nothing to do with it. Here's a site for you -> http://bitcoinvanitygen.com/

Good luck.

I won't use this scam. I'm asking how to generate custom address using vanitygen.
Friki Verax

Activity: 11

View Profile
July 06, 2015, 02:05:13 PM

Everything. I'm not coder and I don't understand it, so it's really hard for me even with step-by-step tut. Let's say I'm asking for someones ready to use binary..

-snip-

Can't you copy-paste those commands in terminal and click enter/return? Hope errors are not there.

Which version of OS X are you using?
Nyau (OP)

View Profile
July 06, 2015, 02:29:14 PM

-snip-

Can't you copy-paste those commands in terminal and click enter/return? Hope errors are not there.

Half of the commands are not working, that's it..

I have 10.9
Friki Verax

Activity: 11

View Profile
July 06, 2015, 03:16:10 PM

-snip-

I have 10.9

Which all commands are not working? Didn't you follow those commands in the same order? Changing order may cause problem because of unmet dependencies. I maybe able to help you with this via TeamViewer or similar but more secure software. For this, you will have to trust me because you are giving access to your computer to an unknown person(me).
jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1023

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2015, 04:01:06 PM

I have compiled and built the vanitygen code on OS X, and I use it (see the vanity BTC address in my profile... that was generated on my MBP using oclvanitygen).

Depending on what hardware you've got, you can either use the CPU version (vanitygen) or the GPU version (oclvanitygen).  For example, I've got an nVidia GPU in my MBP, so I use oclvanitygen.  Of course, this requires that I've also got the nVidia CUDA toolkit so it can compile the GPU-specific kernel...

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
Nyau (OP)

View Profile
July 06, 2015, 04:18:19 PM
Last edit: July 06, 2015, 04:42:58 PM by Nyau

I have compiled and built the vanitygen code on OS X, and I use it (see the vanity BTC address in my profile... that was generated on my MBP using oclvanitygen).

Depending on what hardware you've got, you can either use the CPU version (vanitygen) or the GPU version (oclvanitygen).  For example, I've got an nVidia GPU in my MBP, so I use oclvanitygen.  Of course, this requires that I've also got the nVidia CUDA toolkit so it can compile the GPU-specific kernel...

Can you please send me your code or whatever I need to make vanity address?  Cheesy

-snip-

I have 10.9

Which all commands are not working? Didn't you follow those commands in the same order? Changing order may cause problem because of unmet dependencies. I maybe able to help you with this via TeamViewer or similar but more secure software. For this, you will have to trust me because you are giving access to your computer to an unknown person(me).

I will tell you once I get home, I don't know it from head..
jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2015, 06:33:54 PM

Pretty sure a binary I create on my laptop won't work for you.  Requirements around some libraries that aren't standard.  I could certainly tell you how to compile and build it yourself if you want...

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
Nyau (OP)

View Profile
July 06, 2015, 06:45:23 PM
Last edit: July 06, 2015, 07:07:16 PM by Nyau

Pretty sure a binary I create on my laptop won't work for you.  Requirements around some libraries that aren't standard.  I could certainly tell you how to compile and build it yourself if you want...

That should be good too, let's start Smiley

I'm really glad there's someone who's helping!  Wink
jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2015, 07:22:31 PM

Pretty sure a binary I create on my laptop won't work for you.  Requirements around some libraries that aren't standard.  I could certainly tell you how to compile and build it yourself if you want...

That should be good too, let's start Smiley
OK... the first thing you'll need to do is get the command line tools installed on your mac.  Open up a terminal window and type:
Code:
xcode-select --install
This should start the process of getting you the tools you'll need.

Now that the command line tools are installed, you'll need some other libraries and packages that are not provided.  I happen to like using homebrew for this.  I used to use macports, but ran into some issues with their QT5 stuff.  So, let's get homebrew.  From that same terminal window:

Code:
ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install)"

Now we use brew to install what we need:
Code:
brew install pcre

Once that's done, you'll need to obtain the vanitygen code from git.  In the same terminal window:
Code:
git clone https://github.com/samr7/vanitygen.git
Now, go into that directory:
Code:
cd vanitygen/
Build it:
Code:
make

You'll see a ton of warnings, but at the end of it, you'll have your very own vanitygen that you can use...

Nyau (OP)

View Profile
July 06, 2015, 07:50:02 PM

Now we use brew to install what we need:
Code:
brew install pcre

-bash: brew: command not found
jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2015, 08:04:24 PM

Did you install home-brew?

From the terminal window:
Code:
ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install)"

Nyau (OP)

View Profile
July 06, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Did you install home-brew?

From the terminal window:
Code:

Yes I did, even 3 times! Cheesy

I got this back:

Code:
==> This script will install:
/usr/local/bin/brew
/usr/local/Library/...
/usr/local/share/man/man1/brew.1
==> The following directories will be made group writable:
/usr/local/.
/usr/local/bin
/usr/local/share
/usr/local/share/man