Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 09:25:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Leaving eurozone - Greece & Bitcoin  (Read 1966 times)
NyeFe (OP)

Activity: 699
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 06:17:13 PM
Last edit: July 05, 2015, 06:36:27 PM by NyeFe

It looks like the first signs of the Greek referendum results are out, with 'NO' leading the way. This will surely and indirectly impact Bitcoin, at least in a positive light.

Source

"It would be interesting to find out it if there's enough btc ATMs available and accessible for the public over in Greece."

MicroDApp.com—Smart Contract developers. Lets build a decentralized future!
newIndia
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1049

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 06:24:00 PM

"It would be interesting to found it if there's enough btc ATMs available and accessible for the public over in Greece."

They dont have liquid cash at hand. I dont know how would they use a BTC ATM, even if it is available.

unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1009

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 06:25:44 PM

As far as we know, there's a BTM on Athens. Unfortunately it's a one way machine, and Greeks can't withdraw money to use it...

As for Bitcoin, I highly doubt that greek people are moving the price. It's probably just whales speculating on the referendum outcome (and "NO" seems to spike the whales quite a bit)
flix
Legendary

Activity: 1227
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 06:26:14 PM

Buying bitcoins with bank accounts closed is not an option. Maybe via localbitcoins.com in cash deals...

But the real option for Greeks here is earning bitcoins. Be it online or from tourists and exports.

The advantage for a hotel or bar owner of being paid in bitcoins vs credit card (which are linked to blocked bank account) is huge. Tourism remains Greece's top industry.

unamis76
Legendary

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 06:27:50 PM

Buying bitcoins with bank accounts closed is not an option. Maybe via localbitcoins.com in cash deals...

But the real option for Greeks here is earning bitcoins. Be it online or from tourists and exports.

Lots of tourists around there by this time of the year and in the next few weeks probably. Good time to deal in Bitcoin indeed.
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 06:29:43 PM

Already at $274, Litecoin also getting a push, are we going to see $1000/bitcoin again?

No doubt these are interesting times for bitcoin. Smiley

newIndia
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1049

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 06:33:39 PM

As for Bitcoin, I highly doubt that greek people are moving the price. It's probably just whales speculating on the referendum outcome (and "NO" seems to spike the whales quite a bit)

This is always the case... LoLz Wink

The advantage for a hotel or bar owner of being paid in bitcoins vs credit card (which are linked to blocked bank account) is huge. Tourism remains Greece's top industry.

So, are we going to see a boom in bitcoin tourism ? That's good. A real white collar use of bitcoin would be awesome Smiley

flix
Legendary

Activity: 1227
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 06:36:13 PM

So, are we going to see a boom in bitcoin tourism ? That's good. A real white collar use of bitcoin would be awesome

Well Expedia, Destinia, other travel agencies and some airlines have already been involved with Bitcoin for some months... Plane tickets and hotel reservations are a large chunk of reported Bitpay transactions...
OROBTC
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1852

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 06:53:26 PM

GREECE is an excellent reason for there to be more BTC ATMs.  Last I heard there was just one for all of Greece.

There is talk of a 30% haircut for bank accounts over $100,000 euros there in Greece...

We need more BTC ATMs everywhere.  And STAT!
NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 06:55:22 PM

GREECE is an excellent reason for there to be more BTC ATMs.  Last I heard there was just one for all of Greece.

There is talk of a 30% haircut for bank accounts over $100,000 euros there in Greece...

Tell me first how the greeks will buy btc from said ATMs... How will they be able to get hands on their money? I guess the shortterm impact will be minimal..
OROBTC
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1852

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 07:02:37 PM

NorrisK

Actually I am thinking BTC ATMs more about the USA.  It is more-or-less too late in Greece's case, as you point out.

The time to buy some BTC (at least for cash), is while there still is cash.  Don't wait around until The End.  Preparation is just smart.

GREECE also shows that it is smart to have CASH on hand.  It is thought that the average American only has some $50 in his wallet at a given time.  Don't be average.  Have more cash just in case.

Cash + BTC + Gold = Comforting Diversification
Netnox
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1008

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 07:06:23 PM

Already at $274, Litecoin also getting a push, are we going to see $1000/bitcoin again?

No doubt these are interesting times for bitcoin. Smiley

Without a doubt bitcoin would have been at least double the price what it is now if it weren't because of all the exchange failures, this makes me believe the fair brice of bitcoin is much higher.
albert73

Activity: 79
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 07:28:09 PM

It's worse than that, they are going to stop people taking cash out of their safety deposit boxes held in Greek banks. That's really crappy and a good reason to buy Bitcoins. It goes to show you can't trust the bank with your money in a crisis.

Wow, so much for Greeks who thought they were keeping their cash safe in bank vaults...  

"Greeks cannot withdraw cash left in safe deposit boxes at Greek banks as long as capital restrictions remain in place, a deputy finance minister told Greek television on Sunday."

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-07-05/eurogroup-shock-finance-ministers-would-not-know-what-discuss-after-greferendum-stun
gogxmagog
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1010

Ad maiora!

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 07:45:51 PM

agreed with the Greeks working for BTC, accepting it instead of credit. It's not going to make a huge difference this time around, too late this time, but this is the perfect opportunity for a true BTC ecosystem to occur. If everyone was using BTC for every purchase and being paid in BTC, that is actually the true point of the whole experiment. NOT buy/sell/moon. That economy is just specious.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 07:53:15 PM

Greeks won't buy in in large numbers. Cash will be far too valuable for day to day transactions to spend it on BTC. I think there is a Greek exchange and bank transfers within the country are fine. I'm not sure how long it would last if people rushed for it though.
redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 07:56:40 PM

if the No will win then in that case it does not mean that Greece will leave the Eu zone Wink. However I also think the referendum has affected (positively) the bitcoin price.
albert73

Activity: 79
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 07:56:57 PM
Last edit: July 05, 2015, 08:37:26 PM by albert73

agreed with the Greeks working for BTC, accepting it instead of credit. It's not going to make a huge difference this time around, too late this time, but this is the perfect opportunity for a true BTC ecosystem to occur. If everyone was using BTC for every purchase and being paid in BTC, that is actually the true point of the whole experiment. NOT buy/sell/moon. That economy is just specious.

Isn't there a website that gives you a virtual debit card number that you can use online like a real debit card, and top it up with Bitcoin? If there is the Greeks could use it to avoid the blockade against Greek online debit card purchases currently in force? it would let the Greeks use Bitcoin for purchases in a roundabout way.

Edit/

There are more virtual credit cards you can top up with Bitcoin than I thought. Top of the list is BitPlastic.

https://bitplastic.com/bitcoin-debit-card
jc12345
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1013

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 07:59:24 PM

Business in Greece must start to accept Bitcoin on a wide scale, including international airlines, hotels and restaurants. Fiat money will become scarce there soon. All they need as a bare minimum is a piece of paper with a QR code on it and people can pay with mobile wallets, although ATMs and Paypoint terminals will also be needed over time. There are various ways to convert BTC to fiat if they want to or they can just full out start accepting it without converting to fiat. Exporters to Greece can also start accepting BTC and then the businesses in Greece can use their BTC to pay for their imports. If businesses accept BTC the tourists can also pay with BTC. There is no haircut ever for BTC accounts.

I know this is probably utopian, but if there ever was a golden opportunity for BTC in a country this is it.
unamis76
Legendary

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 08:42:52 PM

This is always the case... LoLz Wink

We don't always have proof to say that it's ALWAYS the case, as we don't have proof to say otherwise... Smiley

Pretty serious news. Where did you read about those 30%?

if the No will win then in that case it does not mean that Greece will leave the Eu zone Wink. However I also think the referendum has affected (positively) the bitcoin price.

As far as I've read, it is a strong indicator that they will leave the eurozone. And the NO is winning so far. By quite a bit.

Business in Greece must start to accept Bitcoin on a wide scale, including international airlines, hotels and restaurants. Fiat money will become scarce there soon. All they need as a bare minimum is a piece of paper with a QR code on it and people can pay with mobile wallets, although ATMs and Paypoint terminals will also be needed over time. There are various ways to convert BTC to fiat if they want to or they can just full out start accepting it without converting to fiat. Exporters to Greece can also start accepting BTC and then the businesses in Greece can use their BTC to pay for their imports. If businesses accept BTC the tourists can also pay with BTC. There is no haircut ever for BTC accounts.

I know this is probably utopian, but if there ever was a golden opportunity for BTC in a country this is it.

Utopian indeed, but it would be amazing if it would become a reality... And this is a good time to start going there!
newcripto

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 05, 2015, 08:53:26 PM

I think we will see Greece's crisis effect soon and there will be huge investment in Bitcoin in near future.This is very short period to calculate the impact.In future people will prefer to keep their savings and earnings in Bitcoin instead of banks after facing so many troubles in recent crisis.Bitcoin has huge opportunity in Greece just need more awareness and time to be well known by common people.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: