Bitcoin Forum
September 19, 2024, 10:56:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How can I run my miner while playing games  (Read 7887 times)
baggos12 (OP)

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 06:23:16 PM

Is there a way to have the miner mining and in the same time to to do stuff in the computer and even play games. I tried -f 100 but it is not really effective with games..
carbonc

Activity: 126
Merit: 60

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 06:27:51 PM

You have to pay for the time you play.
And if the price is high for BTC, You might want to charge yourself a premium.
  Cheesy

ensign_lee

Activity: 886
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 07:51:26 PM

Play less demanding games? I mean, that's what graphics cards do, is display graphics. If you want them to do that instead of mining, well...

Otherwise, get a more powerful graphics card? My 5870 still does about 100 Mhash/sec while I'm playing SC2 on ultra

██▄                ██        ▄███████▄        ██                  ██      ▄█████████▄ 
 ████              ██      █                  █      ██                  ██      ██                ██
 ██  ▀█            ██    ▄█                  █▄    ██                  ██    ██                  ██
 ██    █▄          ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██    ▀█                     
 ██      █▄        ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██      ██                   
 ██        █▄      ██                                  ██                  ██       ▀████████▄   
 ██          █▄    ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                        ██ 
 ██            █▄  ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                          ██
 ██              █▄██    ██                  ██    ▀█                  █▀    ▄▄                  █▀
 ██                ███      █                  █        █                  █      ██                ██ 
 ██                  ▀█        ▀███████▀            ▀███████▀         ▀█████████▀   

Nousplatform Youtube     
Maxxx

Activity: 70
Merit: 11

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 07:56:58 PM

Is there a way to have the miner mining and in the same time to to do stuff in the computer and even play games. I tried -f 100 but it is not really effective with games..

Play Terraria and mine while you mine. No need to free up a GPU. What is your setup?

Time is money. This means that if you have spare time, you can use it to make money.

Modular, open, and stack-able miner case.
MiningBuddy

Activity: 927
Merit: 1000

฿itcoin ฿itcoin ฿itcoin

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 08:21:48 PM

I've recently stopped playing games (I have over 150 games on my steam list) because I realised for every second my miner isn't running, I am not earning BTC.  Cheesy Cheesy

OH BITCOIN, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!?

BombaUcigasa
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 08:24:17 PM

Try to change the CPU priority of the miner process to Low and maybe use smaller work size (-w) for the flags? I can play League of Legends and Entropia just fine with -f 40, but cstrike doesn't flow too well with a miner running.
baggos12 (OP)

Activity: 12

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 08:35:47 PM

Aren't there any flags that make the miner more polite? I have seen some "-a" and other flags here in the forums and I am unsure what they do. Does lowering the -w flag help? I dont want to play games myself.
BombaUcigasa
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 09:04:25 PM

other flags here in the forums and I am unsure what they do
Run the miner with -h or --help or a variation on this. It should list the flags and what they do.
Litt

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 09:40:23 AM

I would try using a higher -f flag. Try 160 and if that is still rough go higher I say. I do ok at 120 on my main desktop with a single 6950 while gaming. I couldn't do that on another machine with only a dual core i think and prob will need to lower the priority.
Nythain

Activity: 56

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 09:46:43 AM

Aye, -f <high number> in poclbm and AGGRESSION=<low number> in phoenix should both do the trick... not sure what games you're trying to play, and on what settings, but i wouldn't expect miracles. If you really want to still play the latest games while mining consider either a dedicated mining rig, or at least a second card for mining and your current card to manage display and gaming.
Turix

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
June 02, 2011, 01:43:35 PM

Aye, -f <high number> in poclbm and AGGRESSION=<low number> in phoenix should both do the trick... not sure what games you're trying to play, and on what settings, but i wouldn't expect miracles. If you really want to still play the latest games while mining consider either a dedicated mining rig, or at least a second card for mining and your current card to manage display and gaming.

This, I can quite happily play Dragon Age 2 on highest settings (Dx11) with High res textures on my 5870 while it is mining with AGGRESSION=4 and I still get around 125Mhash/s Smiley

Its just all about trial and error, I keep a set of batch files with various AGGRESSION and WORKSIZE settings so I can switch them depending on how intense the game I wish to play is.

YinCoin YangCoin ☯☯First Ever POS/POW Alternator! Multipool! ☯ ☯ http://yinyangpool.com/ 
Free Distribution! https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=623937
Bwincoin - 100% Free POS. BSqnSwv7xdD6UEh8bJz8Xp6YcndPQ2JFyF
Seraphim401

Activity: 215
Merit: 100

Live Long and Prosper

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 02:40:18 PM

I've recently stopped playing games (I have over 150 games on my steam list) because I realised for every second my miner isn't running, I am not earning BTC.  Cheesy Cheesy

Same thing here bro!

doomy

Activity: 28

View Profile
June 05, 2011, 05:06:29 AM

What would AGGRESSION=4 be on poclbm -f ?
IlbiStarz

Activity: 336
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 05, 2011, 05:12:21 AM

Same thing here bro!

LOL same for me!
My parents are almost glad that I've found bitcoin...so I don't play any games anymore XD
PcChip

Activity: 418

View Profile
June 05, 2011, 06:50:04 AM

My 3 year old plays Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood all day long while the GPU mines away.

For a 58xx series card, use Aggression=4
For a 48xx series card, use Aggression=3

You'll get a few less MH/s, but the games will run fine.

Legacy signature from 2011: 
All rates with Phoenix 1.50 / PhatK
5850 - 400 MH/s  |  5850 - 355 MH/s | 5830 - 310 MH/s  |  GTX570 - 115 MH/s | 5770 - 210 MH/s | 5770 - 200 MH/s
d.james

Activity: 280

Firstbits: 12pqwk

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 07:41:49 AM

what drivers do you guys use to play games while mining w/out crashing for ATI 5850 cards?

I'm on the latest driver and it crashes when I start a game like Starcraft2, or launch media player for video playback.

on my old Nvidia GTX card I can mine + play without much problems.

You can not roll a BitCoin, but you can rollback some. Cheesy
Roll me back: 1NxMkvbYn8o7kKCWPsnWR4FDvH7L9TJqGG
Lelouch

Activity: 15

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 11:35:34 AM

Sapphire 5850.

AGRESSION=4 FASTLOOP -phatk VECTORS WORKSIZE=128

Im using Phoenix miner. Can play everything but obviously Mhash/s decrease.
hugolp
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

Radix-The Decentralized Finance Protocol

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 11:48:39 AM

LOL same for me!
My parents are almost glad that I've found bitcoin...so I don't play any games anymore XD

Wait until the see the electricity bill... they might even ask you to go back to playing computer games.

▄████████▄
               ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
              ██▀
             ███
▄▄▄▄▄       ███
██████     ███
    ▀██▄  ▄██
     ▀██▄▄██▀
       ████▀
        ▀█▀
The Radix DeFi Protocol is
R A D I X

███████████████████████████████████

The Decentralized

Finance Protocol
Scalable
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██                   ██
██                   ██
████████████████     ██
██            ██     ██
██            ██     ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄      ██     ██
██▀▀▀▀██      ██     ██
██    ██      ██     
██    ██      ██
███████████████████████

███
Secure
      ▄▄▄▄▄
    █████████
   ██▀     ▀██
  ███       ███

▄▄███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██    ███████████

███
Community Driven
      ▄█   ▄▄
      ██ ██████▄▄
      ▀▀▄█▀   ▀▀██▄
     ▄▄ ██       ▀███▄▄██
    ██ ██▀          ▀▀██▀
    ██ ██▄            ██
   ██ ██████▄▄       ██▀
  ▄██       ▀██▄     ██
  ██▀         ▀███▄▄██▀
 ▄██             ▀▀▀▀
 ██▀
▄██
▄▄
██
███▄
▀███▄
 ▀███▄
  ▀████
    ████
     ████▄
      ▀███▄
       ▀███▄
        ▀████
          ███
           ██
           ▀▀

███
Radix is using our significant technology
innovations to be the first layer 1 protocol
specifically built to serve the rapidly growing DeFi.
Radix is the future of DeFi
█████████████████████████████████████

▄▄█████
  ▄████▀▀▀
  █████
█████████▀
▀▀█████▀▀
  ████
  ████
  ████

Facebook

███