Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 01:31:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: THINGS TO CONSIDER WHEN BUYING AN ACCOUNT  (Read 4273 times)
Mickeyb

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 07:58:44 PM

Make sure the seller signs a message just to prove that account is theirs and not stolen or hacked. There are many scams outhere, beware!
subSTRATA
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1043

:^)

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 08:25:41 PM

But what happen if the seller take back his account by proving the ownership of old address after sell the account to someone? Is it still possible right?

Please respond, I'm curious about this one.

No need to worry if the buyer have signed message from the seller when buying accounts, that would serve as proof of account transfer and he cant claim it back

Well when you buy an account you ask the seller to sign a message that that account is sold to you, and you must keep this message for future, so you are protected. - my opinion

its not just your opinion, i agree with it as well. by stating in the signed message that the account will be sold to you, the seller can no longer claim the account back as theirs using a signed message.

Quick question about signed messages: Now, from what I understand, for a signed message to be valid, it must have been fron an address associated to the account from a post or something at some point. If a person were to purchase an account, and then decide to resell it for whatever reason, how could he legitimately prove ownership without having access to an address that has been associated with the account for an extended period of time?

The buyer can't proof that he is the legitimate buyer except he got a signature from seller that says that the previous owner sold the account to him. The new owner should have posted a bitcoin address so that he can proof, with another signature, that he held the account since then.

When selling an account then the message should contain the date of sale, the account to be sold and the buyer who bought it.

I agree with you, a date should be included in the signed message, i dont know if we can verify when has been signed the message can we?

if a date is included in the signed message, that should be sufficient proof the message was signed on that day if the message can be verified as valid; the signature for the message wouldnt be valid if any part of the message or signature were to be changed.

Yes i know that, but i was wondering if we can verify when was that message signed if there is no date in the message.

yes, the signature of the signed message is only valid for that particular message. the date is just a part of the message. if the signature corresponds to the message it should be verifiable without issues.

theres nothing here. message me if you want to put something here.
jt byte

Activity: 994
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 08:29:48 PM

But what happen if the seller take back his account by proving the ownership of old address after sell the account to someone? Is it still possible right?

Please respond, I'm curious about this one.

No need to worry if the buyer have signed message from the seller when buying accounts, that would serve as proof of account transfer and he cant claim it back

Well when you buy an account you ask the seller to sign a message that that account is sold to you, and you must keep this message for future, so you are protected. - my opinion

its not just your opinion, i agree with it as well. by stating in the signed message that the account will be sold to you, the seller can no longer claim the account back as theirs using a signed message.

Quick question about signed messages: Now, from what I understand, for a signed message to be valid, it must have been fron an address associated to the account from a post or something at some point. If a person were to purchase an account, and then decide to resell it for whatever reason, how could he legitimately prove ownership without having access to an address that has been associated with the account for an extended period of time?

The buyer can't proof that he is the legitimate buyer except he got a signature from seller that says that the previous owner sold the account to him. The new owner should have posted a bitcoin address so that he can proof, with another signature, that he held the account since then.

When selling an account then the message should contain the date of sale, the account to be sold and the buyer who bought it.

I agree with you, a date should be included in the signed message, i dont know if we can verify when has been signed the message can we?

if a date is included in the signed message, that should be sufficient proof the message was signed on that day if the message can be verified as valid; the signature for the message wouldnt be valid if any part of the message or signature were to be changed.

Yes i know that, but i was wondering if we can verify when was that message signed if there is no date in the message.

yes, the signature of the signed message is only valid for that particular message. the date is just a part of the message. if the signature corresponds to the message it should be verifiable without issues.

I think he is meaning something else like: The signed message "xxxx and address xxxx and signature xxxx" has been signed on Tuesday 21 July 2015. If i understand his question
subSTRATA
Legendary

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 08:47:36 PM

I think he is meaning something else like: The signed message "xxxx and address xxxx and signature xxxx" has been signed on Tuesday 21 July 2015. If i understand his question

well theere is no "date" field in a signed message, all there is are an address, message, and signature. if the message is dated the date would be included in the message, and the signature would be different compared to is the date was not included in the message as the message would be different. if youre asking if the date the message was signed could be verified or seen with the date not being explicitly stated in the message, no, i dont believe there is a way to do that.

wadili89
Legendary

Activity: 1106

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 12:12:20 AM

I wanna buy an account and i wanna knw the kind of things i should watch out for when im buying a membership account on this forum

Something to consider if you want to buy an account are The Rank lever of tbe account at least Sr. Member, Post quality, and Trust level of the account also the price of the account you want to buy

you should also extensively search the account's posts and history once you know the name of the account to see if it is involved in any suspicious activity, scams, has any open loans, etc. for obvious reasons.

i dont think so anyone will tell you account username before the payment or deal because no one like and trust sold account and that is why escrow is must to buy the account you can ask the escrow to check the account for is it  involved in any suspicious activity, scams, has any open loans

subSTRATA
Legendary

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 12:18:01 AM

I wanna buy an account and i wanna knw the kind of things i should watch out for when im buying a membership account on this forum

Something to consider if you want to buy an account are The Rank lever of tbe account at least Sr. Member, Post quality, and Trust level of the account also the price of the account you want to buy

you should also extensively search the account's posts and history once you know the name of the account to see if it is involved in any suspicious activity, scams, has any open loans, etc. for obvious reasons.

i dont think so anyone will tell you account username before the payment or deal because no one like and trust sold account and that is why escrow is must to buy the account you can ask the escrow to check the account for is it  involved in any suspicious activity, scams, has any open loans

actually, ive done a few account deals on here before, and every single time the seller has opted to inform me of the account's name at my request, sometimes before i even confirm that i will purchase the account.

SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2015, 02:43:21 PM

actually, ive done a few account deals on here before, and every single time the seller has opted to inform me of the account's name at my request, sometimes before i even confirm that i will purchase the account.

When i would knew the seller told the account to others then i would not buy anymore. So i would ask him. When he tells me then im out.

Why? There are some people on the forum that give sold accounts negative. If one of these asks the seller, they dont have to be interested in fact, then the account is at risk. Why should i buy such account then?

Its simply not worth then. So i think its not smart to reveal the accoun to anyone other than the escrow. He can check everything and the account is safe until its really sold.

I still search a fast way to check for potential activity. Anyone knows one? Accounts with high post counts are no fun to count the 2 week periods.

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
subSTRATA
Legendary

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 03:00:12 PM
Last edit: July 27, 2015, 03:39:53 PM by subSTRATA

When i would knew the seller told the account to others then i would not buy anymore. So i would ask him. When he tells me then im out.

Why? There are some people on the forum that give sold accounts negative. If one of these asks the seller, they dont have to be interested in fact, then the account is at risk. Why should i buy such account then?

Its simply not worth then. So i think its not smart to reveal the accoun to anyone other than the escrow. He can check everything and the account is safe until its really sold.

I still search a fast way to check for potential activity. Anyone knows one? Accounts with high post counts are no fun to count the 2 week periods.

nice to see a different perspective on the matter, as you run an escrow service; maybe ive just gotten lucky so far with the accounts. as for counting activity, it would likely be possible to create a script that could do that; bit-x's signature campaign bot can read through posts and get a rough character count, section the post was in, and other info that is used in calculating posts for a sig campaign. im sure there's a way to get the dates of the posts in order to calculate the activity. im sure bitcoin boy could implement something like that in a day with the existing code from the sig campaign bot.

mariding

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 03:48:37 PM

IMO these are the most important things to check when buying an account on this forum:
1-it's not hacked, Ask to sign a message from an old address.
2-it doesn't have a pending loan, check recent posts and the loaning forum for anything related to the username.
3-it doesn't have any negative trusts even the untrusted feedback.
4-it isn't involved in anything controversial (again by recent posts and search/looking around), it may receive negative trust later if it was involved in anything controversial.
lorylore
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 05:08:24 PM

I see many sellers says about potential activity and i have seen that it takes some times to count them.
My question would be: Is there any bot or any tool that would automatically check the potential activity of an account.
taekwondoma

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

Bitway.net - The Best Bitcoin Mining Network

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 06:35:19 PM

You should be careful the account is not hacked or else the owner may get it banned/claim it later. signing a message by an old BTC address in a previous post can confirm this is the real owner I think.

BTC BitwayBTC
The Best Bitcoin Mining Network
────────  DiscordInstagram ♦  Twitter ♦  Bitcointalk ♦  Reddit ♦  Facebook   ────────
subSTRATA
Legendary

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 06:49:00 PM

I see many sellers says about potential activity and i have seen that it takes some times to count them.
My question would be: Is there any bot or any tool that would automatically check the potential activity of an account.

i would think that bit-x's sig campaign bot could be modified to calculate potential activity as well, its already implemented to take a lot of info from people's posts. as i said above already, one could ask bitcoin boy to add this feature to the bot, or ask for the source to work off of. im not sure if hes willing to give up his code though. im rather surprised there isnt such a tool already seeing how often accounts are traded on this forum.

notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 06:55:12 PM

i would think that bit-x's sig campaign bot could be modified to calculate potential activity as well, its already implemented to take a lot of info from people's posts. as i said above already, one could ask bitcoin boy to add this feature to the bot, or ask for the source to work off of. im not sure if hes willing to give up his code though. im rather surprised there isnt such a tool already seeing how often accounts are traded on this forum.

I'm sure he could add it, but the question why?   You can calculate it yourself pretty easy.   I guess I'm not into the buying and selling of accounts but I think potential activity is not to hard.  See if one in each period... count the periods.

If you really want it you could ask bitcoin boy to make one.   He is very talented.  Not sure what it would cost. 
subSTRATA
Legendary

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 07:01:52 PM

I'm sure he could add it, but the question why?   You can calculate it yourself pretty easy.   I guess I'm not into the buying and selling of accounts but I think potential activity is not to hard.  See if one in each period... count the periods.

If you really want it you could ask bitcoin boy to make one.   He is very talented.  Not sure what it would cost. 

sebastianju pointed it out earlier; it can be time consuming, and it would be a great tool for the community, especially for the escrow services who are trusted to verify these sorts of things, sometimes free of charge. might as well give them something to make their services a bit easier to provide.

ranlo
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 24, 2015, 01:28:04 AM

You should be careful the account is not hacked or else the owner may get it banned/claim it later. signing a message by an old BTC address in a previous post can confirm this is the real owner I think.

They might be able to get it banned later, but my understanding is there's no way to reclaim an account once it's been sold and the information is changed.

https://nanogames.io/i-bctalk-n/
Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2015, 06:19:23 PM

nice to see a different perspective on the matter, as you run an escrow service; maybe ive just gotten lucky so far with the accounts. as for counting activity, it would likely be possible to create a script that could do that; bit-x's signature campaign bot can read through posts and get a rought character count, section the post was in, and other info that is used in calculating posts for a sig campaign. im sure there's a way to get the dates of the posts in order to calculate the activity. im sure bitcoin boy could implement something like that in a day with the existing code from the sig campaign bot.

Yeah, i even think it could become a service. Either selling such bot for cheap, since its usefulness is limited, or having a website you enter the profile id and it counts the potential activity.

Guess someone needs to work on that idea and he could charge some pennies for a count. I think there are many professional account traders. They might use that service, and get a screenshot. Or, when it is a website, then the website owner could create a service thread an post a signature signed with a bitcoin address he posted. Then, on the website, automatically a signature is created that states the potential activity. The text can be copied and the escrow can verify that the account, named in the signature message, really has the mentioned activity.

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
jt byte

Activity: 994
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 24, 2015, 07:16:47 PM

nice to see a different perspective on the matter, as you run an escrow service; maybe ive just gotten lucky so far with the accounts. as for counting activity, it would likely be possible to create a script that could do that; bit-x's signature campaign bot can read through posts and get a rought character count, section the post was in, and other info that is used in calculating posts for a sig campaign. im sure there's a way to get the dates of the posts in order to calculate the activity. im sure bitcoin boy could implement something like that in a day with the existing code from the sig campaign bot.

Yeah, i even think it could become a service. Either selling such bot for cheap, since its usefulness is limited, or having a website you enter the profile id and it counts the potential activity.

Guess someone needs to work on that idea and he could charge some pennies for a count. I think there are many professional account traders. They might use that service, and get a screenshot. Or, when it is a website, then the website owner could create a service thread an post a signature signed with a bitcoin address he posted. Then, on the website, automatically a signature is created that states the potential activity. The text can be copied and the escrow can verify that the account, named in the signature message, really has the mentioned activity.

That is the perfect idea to count the potential activity for each account Smiley
Every account seller may contribute to this for a bot like this on.
It would help us and would save us time.
gandalfar

Activity: 245
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 24, 2015, 11:12:53 PM

They might be able to get it banned later, but my understanding is there's no way to reclaim an account once it's been sold and the information is changed.

There is a way to get it back supposedly by contacting the admin "Theymos" and signing a message from an address posted in an old topic/private message, That wasn't working recently though.

ranlo
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 24, 2015, 11:19:20 PM

There is a way to get it back supposedly by contacting the admin "Theymos" and signing a message from an address posted in an old topic/private message, That wasn't working recently though.

Ahh, interesting... I think that's a catch-22. If they allow it, people who buy accounts can reclaim them. If they don't, people with their accounts hacked are screwed.

IMO, people shouldn't be able to sell accounts regardless. It's basically selling reputation, and is one of the big contributors to all the scams around here.

https://nanogames.io/i-bctalk-n/
Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
Karpeles
Legendary

Activity: 1162

View Profile
July 25, 2015, 12:26:24 AM

Ahh, interesting... I think that's a catch-22. If they allow it, people who buy accounts can reclaim them. If they don't, people with their accounts hacked are screwed.

Theymos do it, but is a low priority duty, and priority will be even lower if there is evidence that someone is trying to claim back a sold account.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: