Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 09:51:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin transaction Times SUCK  (Read 6251 times)
Vortex20000

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

sucker got hacked and screwed --Toad

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2015, 11:31:53 AM

I've had transactions take less than a minute to confirm for me.

Xialla
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

/dev/null

View Profile
July 11, 2015, 11:52:46 AM

yes, even this is possible, if you send you TX luckily before block is mined, previous block is just few minutes of actual one and you set regular fee. point is, that is basically unpredictable, how long first confirmation will take..from one minute (or even sooner) to hours and hours..
yeponlyone

View Profile
July 11, 2015, 12:09:43 PM

I can't really understand why people are so upset over the, at times, long transactions time. Sure, if it's 9 hours you got a point, when I started out with bitcoin I even had serious doubts on the currency due to the fact that getting coins took forever, and even invested in altcoins which were faster.

Today I'm used to the delay and very seldom do transactions where I need a confirmation within minutes.

That aside, the devs needs to stop the spam. Lee had a solution three years ago, based in litecoin's experience, so it really shouldn't be all that difficult.
Vortex20000

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2015, 12:13:04 PM

yes, even this is possible, if you send you TX luckily before block is mined, previous block is just few minutes of actual one and you set regular fee. point is, that is basically unpredictable, how long first confirmation will take..from one minute (or even sooner) to hours and hours..

Actually, I've seen blocks just seconds apart from each other, though I admit that this is extremely rare.

deliciousowl

Activity: 432
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 11, 2015, 12:24:25 PM

That aside, the devs needs to stop the spam. Lee had a solution three years ago, based in litecoin's experience, so it really shouldn't be all that difficult.

It's not the devs. It's for the miners and nodes to decide.

Erza
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 11, 2015, 12:34:43 PM

I can't really understand why people are so upset over the, at times, long transactions time. Sure, if it's 9 hours you got a point, when I started out with bitcoin I even had serious doubts on the currency due to the fact that getting coins took forever, and even invested in altcoins which were faster.

Today I'm used to the delay and very seldom do transactions where I need a confirmation within minutes.

What are you saying? This is sure upset many people here and that is including me because it take 1 days until now and I havent got my confirmation

and that piss me off here. I just can wait it to get confrimation. Now all of my bitcoin is stuck, I can't do anything until now before this confirmation is

fixed
horace0812

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

★YoBit.Net★ 200+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
July 11, 2015, 12:52:07 PM

really is a problem...
I got 2 transaction waiting for confirnation more than three hours today Sad

██████████    YoBit.net - Cryptocurrency Exchange
█████████    <<  ● Trade Over 200 Cryptos  ● Free Coins every 24hrs!  >>
██████████    <<  ● TUTORIAL: How to earn 1 btc a week  >>
Vortex20000

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2015, 12:56:16 PM

really is a problem...

Woah, transaction IDs?

lottery248
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1005

beware of your keys.

View Profile
July 11, 2015, 01:01:23 PM

that is horrible that i have the same experience once, dud.
that time i was paying 0.006 btc to my trading account.

out of ability to use the signature, i want a new ban strike policy that will fade the strike after 90~120 days of the ban and not to be traced back, like google | email me for anything urgent, message will possibly not be instantly responded
i am not really active for some reason
Vortex20000

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2015, 01:12:58 PM

that is horrible that i have the same experience once, dud.
that time i was paying 0.006 btc to my trading account.

And it took how long? Miner fee used?

horace0812

Activity: 70

★YoBit.Net★ 200+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
July 11, 2015, 01:22:50 PM

really is a problem...

Woah, transaction IDs?

https://blockchain.info/tx/603c3b9ed4614c86508926d02cf6562db7c84ef5ffd8426d6be3dc2a824757fd

https://blockchain.info/tx/0c371cac65965095be54220bc2c47c58c0b4be9f77b4fe9181969b49d022c403

██████████    YoBit.net - Cryptocurrency Exchange
█████████    <<  ● Trade Over 200 Cryptos  ● Free Coins every 24hrs!  >>
██████████    <<  ● TUTORIAL: How to earn 1 btc a week  >>
zsp

Activity: 181
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 11, 2015, 01:35:27 PM

So when are the developers of Bitcoin going to fix the horrid transaction times of Bitcoin, waiting 35 minutes to 2 hours for a transaction to confirm one time is getting a bit ridiculous.

And for you Bitcoin lovers Dont waste our time quoting any crap from bloickchain.info, I dont want to hear it, because you know what, those stats and charts on blockchain.info are not accurate and it doesnt matter what those things say when the end user is experiencing actual times of 30 minutes to 2 hours.

I mean you guys want acceptance, you want adaptation yet your biggest competitor in what Bitcoin  is supposed to be used for can transact cash in 15 minutes. it takes me 5 to 8 hours to get cash for my bitcoins, its time to step up the game a bit.

EDIT: oh and yes before the bitcoin lovers even go there, I pay a 10,000 Satoshi transaction fee for High Priority on all of my personal transactions I send. So lets not try the pay a bigger fee for faster transaction times.

So the question remains what are the Bitcoin developers doing to fix this problem with transaction times we have been facing for the past year or more, that seems to keep getting worse as they ignore it and keep posting biased charts from unreliable sources.

2 days ago it was 6 hours. Today, I bought a gift card using Bitcoin, 0 confirmation after 1.5 hour. The shops will be closed by it get 2 confirmations. As much as I love Bitcoin, it is unfit for business purposes.
Herbert2020
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1137

View Profile
July 11, 2015, 01:40:20 PM

this is no longer "at times" long transaction time. this issue is becoming an every day problem.
if bitcoin is to be accepted by everyone, and mass adopted especially by merchants then it has to be fast enough so that they everyone can use it. but when it takes more than an hour for you to receive bitcoin there really isn't a good reason to adopt it as a currency then.

Weak hands have been complaining about missing out ever since bitcoin was $1 and never buy the dip.
Whales are those who keep buying the dip.
zsp

View Profile
July 11, 2015, 01:45:02 PM

this is no longer "at times" long transaction time. this issue is becoming an every day problem.
if bitcoin is to be accepted by everyone, and mass adopted especially by merchants then it has to be fast enough so that they everyone can use it. but when it takes more than an hour for you to receive bitcoin there really isn't a good reason to adopt it as a currency then.

It's simply impractical in every day usage. How can we get friends and family into crypto if Bitcoin is unusable?

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
July 11, 2015, 01:45:47 PM

So when are the developers of Bitcoin going to fix the horrid transaction times of Bitcoin, waiting 35 minutes to 2 hours for a transaction to confirm one time is getting a bit ridiculous.

And for you Bitcoin lovers Dont waste our time quoting any crap from bloickchain.info, I dont want to hear it, because you know what, those stats and charts on blockchain.info are not accurate and it doesnt matter what those things say when the end user is experiencing actual times of 30 minutes to 2 hours.

I mean you guys want acceptance, you want adaptation yet your biggest competitor in what Bitcoin  is supposed to be used for can transact cash in 15 minutes. it takes me 5 to 8 hours to get cash for my bitcoins, its time to step up the game a bit.

EDIT: oh and yes before the bitcoin lovers even go there, I pay a 10,000 Satoshi transaction fee for High Priority on all of my personal transactions I send. So lets not try the pay a bigger fee for faster transaction times.

So the question remains what are the Bitcoin developers doing to fix this problem with transaction times we have been facing for the past year or more, that seems to keep getting worse as they ignore it and keep posting biased charts from unreliable sources.

2 days ago it was 6 hours. Today, I bought a gift card using Bitcoin, 0 confirmation after 1.5 hour. The shops will be closed by it get 2 confirmations. As much as I love Bitcoin, it is unfit for business purposes.

It really depends on the business. What first brought people to Bitcoin was the (supposed) anonymity and the ability to buy drugs and other contraband on-line risk free. For that business it's perfect. Buying a soda at a gook mart, not so much.

zsp

View Profile
July 11, 2015, 01:54:07 PM

It really depends on the business. What first brought people to Bitcoin was the (supposed) anonymity and the ability to buy drugs and other contraband on-line risk free. For that business it's perfect. Buying a soda at a gook mart, not so much.

I am aware of that, but I thought the business plan is to take Bitcoin to the masses which would establish trust in the currency and eventually would give a stable value for Bitcoin. Mass adoption is not possible if you can't even buy a bloody gift card with it. When there are 6 hours confirmation times then the average users see the currency as unusable.

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
July 11, 2015, 02:06:44 PM

I am aware of that, but I thought the business plan is to take Bitcoin to the masses which would establish trust in the currency and eventually would give a stable value for Bitcoin. Mass adoption is not possible if you can't even buy a bloody gift card with it. When there are 6 hours confirmation times then the average users see the currency as unusable.

Hey, I understand your frustration. It's not quite ready for prime time. Hopefully, the devs and businesses will put enough R&D time into it that someday it meets the needs of a wider audience. For today, most people are using it for ideological reasons. You've seen the type on this forum. The Danny something or other type that goes apeshit every time someone is critical of Bitcoin.  These people have wrapped up their philosophical beliefs into the use of Bitcoin as if it's the Great White Hope waiting for the big win. That's fine because that kind of drive and determination is propelling Bitcoin forward. We non-evangelical types shouldn't expect Bitcoin to be perfectly ready to fulfill all our needs quite yet though.

Hopalong

Activity: 112

View Profile
July 11, 2015, 03:23:17 PM

Still better than like 3-6 months for credit cards, and 1-5 days for banks. Grow up.

My credit card takes less than 5 seconds and have no fee at all. Bank transfer is instant to accounts in the same bank with no fee and less than 1 workday to any account in other banks with no fee.

Dont compare bank with paypal and other obscure metodes that most people dont use.

you think that there is no fee, but they are actually playing with your money all the time, then they cover your need with the money of another that he don't need in that exact moment

Sorry i forgot my tinfoil hat today... Tongue

When i deposit money in the bank i dont write my name on them and expect to get the same money back. I know they mix up my money with other deposit.

When i say i dont pay fee i mean that i never pay anything to send or recive money. How they do it is not my concern. My only concern is to force them to contiue their practice with changing bank whenever they charge me for anything i dont want to pay.

but you pay for any withdrawal from atm right? or for any conversion right? well bitcoin has no heavy fee for any sort, there is no conversion when you use bitcoin, and the best thing is that you can actually decide your fee

Withdrawal from ATM cost me $0.5 or more. ATM´s from other banks might cost a lot.
Envrin

Activity: 318
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 11, 2015, 03:27:40 PM

What are the tx sizes?  How many inputs are being included in any given transaction?

Are you getting a ton of 0.01 incoming deposits, then bundling that up into a 3 BTC transaction with a 0.0001 fee attached?  Personally, I just stay on the safe side, and put in 0.0001 for every input that gets included.  5 inputs = 0.0005 fee, and so on.  Works fine.

I don't know, but I haven't had an issue.  The network itself works beautifully, and transactions hit almost instantly across the network.  Now whether or not the merchant wants to wait for X confirmations is up to them, and I agree, it can get a little annoying at times.  Not annoying enough to steer me away from bitcoin though.
Envrin

Activity: 318
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 11, 2015, 03:31:47 PM

For today, most people are using it for ideological reasons.

Wouldn't say that too quickly.  I'm quite confident there's tons of people in Greece who currently wish their savings were in Bitcoin right now, versus in the banks.  This is a systemic problem, and will only grow over time.  Just wait until Portugal and/or Spain goes.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: