Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 07:51:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Selling 17500 shares of GLBSE (actual shares)  (Read 14927 times)
theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12972

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 03:37:10 PM

I am selling 17500 shares of BitcoinGlobal, the owner of GLBSE. There are currently 77500 total GLBSE shares, so this represents a 23% share in GLBSE.

My reason for selling:

Some big legitimate Bitcoin businesses have expressed interest in listing on GLBSE, but they can't do so because GLBSE might be illegal. Nefario would like to change this by making GLBSE a legal company and following all relevant regulations. This could potentially increase profits, but I don't like the idea of abandoning small and "dubious" businesses, I don't like lawyers and regulations getting in the way of business, and I certainly don't want to be officially/legally listed as a shareholder (and especially not treasurer).

Here are the bylaws:
http://theymos.com/bylaws.pdf

- In order to buy the shares, you must be approved by half of the current shareholders. I don't foresee this being difficult for most people. You don't need to be well-known in the community or anything.
- The shareholders do not want to bring in too many other shareholders. They will probably not approve a transfer of less than ~500 shares, so offers to buy fewer than 500 shares will probably not be accepted.
- Nefario wants GLBSE to move toward becoming a legitimate corporation. You must agree to be legally and publicly listed by name as a shareholder/partner/whatever in legal documents if this becomes required in the future.
- Shareholders have an above-average level of involvement in management. There are regular meetings on IRC.
- Financials are private. Within the next few days, there may be a way for you to view financial data if you sign a NDA.
- Nefario would like to restructure the company and possibly create more shares. It is unlikely that he will be able to legally do this without the 23% of shares sold here (66% is required to change the bylaws), so you will have a say in how this turns out.

I will not sell shares at a price below 0.3 BTC per share, and I expect the final selling price to be much higher. PM me your offers. I can answer some questions here, but some info is confidential.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinINV

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 03:42:04 PM

Do these shares currently produce dividends? I do not want the amount, just simple yes or no.

theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 03:44:58 PM

Do these shares currently produce dividends? I do not want the amount, just simple yes or no.

They do, though not on any fixed schedule.

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 03:45:48 PM

Seems pretty pricey. What'd you buy them at?

Your lowest price is 5250 BTC or $63,000?

Dang...too rich for my blood.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

WITRcenter

Activity: 88
Merit: 10

W Investment Technology Research Center

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 03:51:42 PM

theymos , as a insider, your selling share is not a good signal. the shareholder can easily hide his identity by register an off-shore company and transfer his share to that offshore company, whose shareholder name is confidential and the GLBSE can only see the off-shore company as its shareholder. have you ever considered about this?

WIT-2, a new equity investment opportunity offered by W Investment Technology Research Center.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=132035.msg1414857#msg1414857
theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 03:53:57 PM

Each share was originally priced at 0.05 BTC.

Question: What is the trailing 3-month net income of GLBSE (essentially, what P/E valuation is 0.3 per share)? Thanks.
Second question, in your estimate what is the forward P/E for the next year (assuming everything goes as planned) at 0.3? Thanks.

I can't release such info.

WITRcenter

Activity: 88

W Investment Technology Research Center

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 03:56:22 PM

theymos, will you be building your own stock exchange? thanks.

WIT-2, a new equity investment opportunity offered by W Investment Technology Research Center.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=132035.msg1414857#msg1414857
theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 03:56:49 PM

theymos, will you be building your own stock exchange? thanks.

I have no plans to do this.

smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 04:06:12 PM

Question: What is the trailing 3-month net income of GLBSE (essentially, what P/E valuation is 0.3 per share)? Thanks.
Second question, in your estimate what is the forward P/E for the next year (assuming everything goes as planned) at 0.3? Thanks.

Equivalent of a pump and dump.

You expect at least 600% returns? Not including the fact that bitcoin price has at least doubled since you bought. So that would amount of at least 1200%.

Do the math guys. IMO a total rip off on the minimum price.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .

theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 04:06:41 PM

P/E is not confidential information. There is no reason why you couldn't release it.. is there? I'm not asking for details on how the company is run or any insider information. Just a valuation or a best-estimate. You're offering a minimum bid of 0.3, and you have advertised that you bought the shares at 0.05. Given how the market is pricing companies right now this seems to indicate a P/E of 3 to 6. I think that is very fair from a real-world perspective. Can you confirm or deny it is within this range? If not, I would be willing to sign a NDA to get this info. However I'm not willing to make a bid unless I know what it is worth.

I can't publicly release any info about revenue, profit, or dividend payments. I understand that you would like to see detailed financial info, and I believe this will be possible (after you sign a NDA) within the next few days.

smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 04:12:57 PM

You expect at least 600% returns? Not including the fact that bitcoin price has at least doubled since you bought. So that would amount of at least 1200%.

No. GLBSE has grown a hell of a lot since the early days, I'm pretty sure. And it's about to go legit. Many real world companies have P/E of 10 or more. Many companies I invest in IRL have higher P/E. I invest in some mining companies with P/E of 20 or more. Why? Because it's worth it to me. I say, sign the NDA, and make a bid you feel comfortable with. I plan to make a fair bid for the shares in the range of a 3 to 6 P/E. Maybe more. And I probably won't disclose my bid. Don't want anyone beating me by a penny lol.

I've been waiting to bid on GLBSE shares for a long time now Smiley

We agree to disagree. I prefer to hold bitcoins than shares of GLBSE.

Why do you think he is selling? He is accepting BTC for payment it looks like.

Have at it USAGI.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 04:15:58 PM

The original price of something is pretty much irrelevant. The only thing that matters is whether his price is fair TODAY.  Just on a surface level, owning a quarter of GLBSE for ~$65k sounds absolutely reasonable.  And Theymos should be praised for his wisdom in acquiring an asset that appreciated 1200%, not vilified.

Let's remember that BTC itself appreciated 1,700% in 2011 (even after the crash)... so if GLBSE shares are a "pump and dump" because they appreciated so much and Theymos wants to sell, then BTC must be even more a pump and dump, no? Smiley
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 06:19:54 PM

The original price of something is pretty much irrelevant. The only thing that matters is whether his price is fair TODAY.  Just on a surface level, owning a quarter of GLBSE for ~$65k sounds absolutely reasonable.  And Theymos should be praised for his wisdom in acquiring an asset that appreciated 1200%, not vilified.

Let's remember that BTC itself appreciated 1,700% in 2011 (even after the crash)... so if GLBSE shares are a "pump and dump" because they appreciated so much and Theymos wants to sell, then BTC must be even more a pump and dump, no? Smiley

Glbse has counter party risk. Bitcoin doesn't. So what was your point again? lol

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1131

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2012, 07:16:48 PM

What about this:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=112438.0

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 07:20:00 PM

Glbse has counter party risk. Bitcoin doesn't. So what was your point again? lol

My point is that just because a large gain was made, and the investor is looking to exit the position, it doesn't mean it can rightly be called a "pump and dump."  People throw that term around too loosely.
Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
September 24, 2012, 07:20:57 PM

This action (of theymos to sell his stake in GLBSE) is the result of a shareholder meeting that happened on Friday night/Saturday morning.

GLBSE is registering as a company in the UK, theymos has decided he doesn't want to be a part of this process.

Nefario.

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
Namworld

Activity: 745
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 07:23:23 PM

I have a few problems with this:
- You're selling shares for 6x the purchase price and I cannot see currently good reasons to price them so high
- You want to exit and have to sell but still set the price to whatever you want.
- According to GLBSE current trading volume, if there was absolutely zero operating costs and trading stayed at this level, it would take 10 years to recoup the 0.30 you are asking for (10% per year). With the expenses accounted for (Dedicated servers are far from being free), I suspect this amount to be a small fraction of that.
- For an investment as risky investment as a start-up such as GLBSE, I expect far bigger returns than what established multinationals pay on their stocks.
- The biggest and riskiest part is ahead, not behind. There will be high costs and a lot of work required for bringing GLBSE on a legal stance. This is putting a lot of failure risk along with substantial expenses going forward.
- Even if it's a success and it becomes fully regulated, it would require afterward probably at least 3 - 5 time the trading volume for getting 10% a year on 0.3, which I would still find low on something still as small and risky as GLBSE. With the financial data, I could get a better picture at the operating costs and how much more trading volume GLBSE needs to achieve to have an acceptable level of returns compared to risk.

Until GLBSE becomes registered and the majority of the costs and risk related is behind, I don't believe those shares to have appreciated that much in value. As far as I'm concerned, if you want to sell for 0.30 BTC per share, you might want to stay and sell the shares once GLBSE is regulated, even if you would be listed as a shareholder for some time.
theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 07:47:20 PM

theymos, will you offer the shares to me as a borrow? (short)

No.

kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 07:49:08 PM

Shit, if you don't want to buy the shares, don't make an offer.  Why does everyone feel the need to run their mouth all the time?

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
2weiX
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1005

this space intentionally left blank

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 07:49:40 PM

I'll bid 50 for 1000 shares.
theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 07:57:12 PM

- According to GLBSE current trading volume, if there was absolutely zero operating costs and trading stayed at this level, it would take 10 years to recoup the 0.30 you are asking for (10% per year). With the expenses accounted for (Dedicated servers are far from being free), I suspect this amount to be a small fraction of that.

It'd take ~30 years to "recoup" an investment in MSFT... It's strange to think in such terms when dealing with stocks.

theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 08:11:21 PM

Are you selling because the SEC is doing an investigation on GLBSE?

No. As far as I know, the SEC is not investigating GLBSE.

maaku
Legendary

Activity: 905
Merit: 1011

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 08:14:48 PM

Confirmed with @nefario on IRC that an NDA would be required of anyone that picks up theymos' shares. That's not standard for investors, and a deal-breaker for me Sad

I'm an independent developer working on bitcoin-core, making my living off community donations.
If you like my work, please consider donating yourself: 13snZ4ZyCzaL7358SmgvHGC9AxskqumNxP
TTBit
Legendary

Activity: 1136
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 08:38:21 PM

Headwind is the currency risk. If you expect bitcoin to rise to $100/coin over the next few years, it will be difficult to justify a purchase of 5000 btc today.

good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment
Namworld

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 09:03:40 PM

It'd take ~30 years to "recoup" an investment in MSFT... It's strange to think in such terms when dealing with stocks.

MSFT is completly at the other end of the risk spectrum. One cannot expect to invest in a high risk venture at 3% per year when they can get the same returns on a highly stable, established multinational corporation such as MSFT.

I clearly stated that this 10% per year (Assuming there was no operating costs, I suspect actual returns to be closer to 2-5% per year) is far too low for something with so much risk. Not that it isn't acceptable for established and stable businesses.
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 09:43:07 PM

I have a few problems with this:
- You're selling shares for 6x the purchase price and I cannot see currently good reasons to price them so high
- You want to exit and have to sell but still set the price to whatever you want.
- For an investment as risky investment as a start-up such as GLBSE, I expect far bigger returns than what established multinationals pay on their stocks.
- The biggest and riskiest part is ahead, not behind. There will be high costs and a lot of work required for bringing GLBSE on a legal stance. This is putting a lot of failure risk along with substantial expenses going forward.
- Even if it's a success and it becomes fully regulated, it would require afterward probably at least 3 - 5 time the trading volume for getting 10% a year on 0.3, which I would still find low on something still as small and risky as GLBSE. With the financial data, I could get a better picture at the operating costs and how much more trading volume GLBSE needs to achieve to have an acceptable level of returns compared to risk.

Until GLBSE becomes registered and the majority of the costs and risk related is behind, I don't believe those shares to have appreciated that much in value. As far as I'm concerned, if you want to sell for 0.30 BTC per share, you might want to stay and sell the shares once GLBSE is regulated, even if you would be listed as a shareholder for some time.

+17,500

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

Namworld

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 09:57:08 PM

Well I still believe they're good, but not that good...

Would you consider selling them in lots of at least 500 shares in the same fashion as the forum's ads auction thread?

Everyone could bid a certain price for a certain amount with a starting price of 0.05 and minimum increments of 0.001

Once you find your buyers, you can propose them to current GLBSE shareholders and see if they are accepted. You would have a list of people to propose in order of highest bid proposed first and could go downward from there from all the bids until all shares are sold as accepted by current shareholders.
2weiX
Legendary

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 10:03:12 PM

issue an asset: 35 shares, each representing 500 GLBSE

put yer asks where ya wants them.
open trading for XYZ days, sell rest into bids

voila

Namworld

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 10:04:39 PM

voila

Eh, all new shareholders have to be approved by all shareholders so that would not work. There's no certainty being the highest bidder guarantees you can actually purchase the shares.
2weiX
Legendary

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 10:07:28 PM

voila

Eh, all new shareholders have to be approved by all shareholders so that would not work. There's no certainty being the highest bidder guarantees you can actually purchase the shares.

have bidders be pre-approved by the cartel (or whatever it is).
theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 10:13:53 PM

If they want to question you, like they want to question me, will you cooperate in the investigation?

Dunno. I might help them catch/prosecute pirateat40, though I'd prefer to cooperate with an agency other than the SEC.

I think the recent "emails from the SEC" are fake.

Would you consider selling them in lots of at least 500 shares in the same fashion as the forum's ads auction thread?

That's essentially what I'm doing now, but privately. I might make it public if I'm not happy with the private bids.

CleverMiner

Activity: 66

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 10:25:34 PM

I wish to say that I face-palm hard every time I use GLBSE,  The UI is really bad, Placing an order send you to portfolio ? , 

The orderbook doesn't load half the time, I end up seeing a "Trade (Buy/Sell) click here" and by "click here" I mean unclickable = does nothing.
The order at the same price aren't combined as one.
The graph volume graph is still useless.

All of this is nothing compared to having to wait ~10-20 second for every page load.

If this thing is making money I think it's time you hire some developers or invest into some hosting.

I would expect it to be faster if it ran on a netbook with a 800kbps DSL.

I don't know how anyone manage to trust the whole thing as secure with so much fail.
BinaryMage

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

Ad astra.

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 11:02:35 PM

That's essentially what I'm doing now, but privately. I might make it public if I'm not happy with the private bids.

Is the 0.3 BTC limit per share absolute? (i.e. Should I not even bother bidding if my bid would be below that?)

-- BinaryMage -- | OTC | PGP
theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 11:31:18 PM

Is the 0.3 BTC limit per share absolute? (i.e. Should I not even bother bidding if my bid would be below that?)

You can bid, but I think it's very unlikely the price will go that low.

smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 12:42:23 AM

Shit, if you don't want to buy the shares, don't make an offer.  Why does everyone feel the need to run their mouth all the time?

cry more? People can ask questions. If you don't like it keep crying.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

Jutarul
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 12:53:22 AM

Shit, if you don't want to buy the shares, don't make an offer.  Why does everyone feel the need to run their mouth all the time?

With all the scams recently, legitimate questions do the community a service by helping the readers to activate the other side of their brain and look beyond the money figure.

The ASICMINER Project https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99497.0
"The way you solve things is by making it politically profitable for the wrong people to do the right thing.", Milton Friedman
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 12:59:51 AM

Headwind is the currency risk. If you expect bitcoin to rise to $100/coin over the next few years, it will be difficult to justify a purchase of 5000 btc today.

This. 5000btc is waaay over priced IMO.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

Jutarul
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 01:24:40 AM

That's also called opportunity cost. And here we go again with one of the major critic points about bitcoin: it's deflationary characteristics make investors reluctant to spend their BTC on investments. Even promising ones.

"The way you solve things is by making it politically profitable for the wrong people to do the right thing.", Milton Friedman
Yolocoin

Activity: 70

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 05:01:52 AM

Agreed.
EskimoBob
Legendary

Activity: 910

Quality Printing Services by Federal Reserve Bank

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 12:51:53 PM

And how are the latest shenanigans helping you to sell your slice of this pie?
Few more fuck ups and this overpriced pie starts to look like a pavement pizza.
A Slice? Anyone?

While reading what I wrote, use the most friendliest and relaxing voice in your head.
BTW, Things in BTC bubble universes are getting ugly....
Ocean6

Activity: 103

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 12:56:43 PM

A Slice? Anyone?

The rats are jumping off the ship

Life is What you Make it!
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2012, 01:18:07 PM

A Slice? Anyone?

The rats are jumping off the ship

MPEX is renowned for its sock puppets Tongue

bitcoinbear

Activity: 518

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 02:30:27 PM

Theymos, did you have previous knowledge of the action taken against Goat's assets (being kicked off the exchange) when you decided to sell?

CryptoNote needs you! Join the elite merged mining forces right now here in Fantomcoin topic: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=598823.0
theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 03:53:31 PM

Theymos, did you have previous knowledge of the action taken against Goat's assets (being kicked off the exchange) when you decided to sell?

I did not. I am very irritated about it.

sgravina

Activity: 451

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 06:45:36 PM

I talked to the SEC lawyer.  He asked me about my GLBSE account.  So they are investigating GLBSE.
guruvan

Activity: 532

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 08:15:51 PM

It's good to see there's a voice of sanity, even if it is the one looking to sell.

Ocean6

Activity: 103

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 10:48:33 PM

Good to hear. Death to GLBSE!

Life is What you Make it!
Uglux

Activity: 222
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 10:57:10 PM

Good to hear. Death to GLBSE!

Put your digital pitchfork and torches away and stay calm please. Smiley
Bitcoin Oz

Wat

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2012, 02:26:18 AM

I talked to the SEC lawyer.  He asked me about my GLBSE account.  So they are investigating GLBSE.

The thing people dont realise is if GLBSE gets taken down by the SEC then all the other bitcoin stock exchanges will follow shortly afterwards because they all sell shares direct to the public. If GLBSE is registered and has qualified financial brokers then selling bitcoin denominated securities is perfectly legal. Someone needs to take this step to bridge bitcoin to the greater economy.

The pink sheets otc market is run exactly like this.

odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 05:47:16 AM

The thing people dont realise is if GLBSE gets taken down by the SEC then all the other bitcoin stock exchanges will follow shortly afterwards because they all sell shares direct to the public. If GLBSE is registered and has qualified financial brokers then selling bitcoin denominated securities is perfectly legal. Someone needs to take this step to bridge bitcoin to the greater economy.

As stated elsewhere, GLBSE is not located in the U.S. The SEC can not shut down GLBSE any more than they can shut down the London Stock Exchange. They cannot also shut down MtGox as others have suggested.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Bitcoin Oz

Wat

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2012, 06:20:35 AM

As stated elsewhere, GLBSE is not located in the U.S. The SEC can not shut down GLBSE any more than they can shut down the London Stock Exchange. They cannot also shut down MtGox as others have suggested.

if you sell securities to US citizens the SEC can in fact investigate and issue a bench warrant if need be. In that case they could extradite you from any country that has extradition treaties with the US. It's the same reason Julian Assange didnt want to go to Sweden.

caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 08:07:41 AM

As stated elsewhere, GLBSE is not located in the U.S. The SEC can not shut down GLBSE any more than they can shut down the London Stock Exchange.

This guy probably thought the same: http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/13/us-filesharing-extradition-idUSTRE80C15C20120113

I personally feel the choice of UK as a place to register GLBSE was maybe not the best. UK is known to be very subordinate to the US government. I'd feel more comfortable if they had chosen a country like Switzerland, Iceland, or even a micro-country like Liechtenstein or Singapore. But well, what do I know, IANAL.
Bitcoin Oz

Wat

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2012, 08:15:31 AM

As stated elsewhere, GLBSE is not located in the U.S. The SEC can not shut down GLBSE any more than they can shut down the London Stock Exchange.

This guy probably thought the same: http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/13/us-filesharing-extradition-idUSTRE80C15C20120113

I personally feel the choice of UK as a place to register GLBSE was maybe not the best. UK is known to be very subordinate to the US government. I'd feel more comfortable if they had chosen a country like Switzerland, Iceland, or even a micro-country like Liechtenstein or Singapore. But well, what do I know, IANAL.

GLBSE just needs to be structured differently and hire an accredited share broker. The SEC doesnt like you selling shares direct to the public they require some kind of stock broker.

Uglux

Activity: 222
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 09:07:22 AM

GLBSE just needs to be structured differently and hire an accredited share broker. The SEC doesnt like you selling shares direct to the public they require some kind of stock broker.
The church also doesn't like you praying directly to your god. The pope wants to tell you first, what is best for you. Just like almost any monopoly, having a monopoly on interpretation is a dangerous thing. The most stupid thing: claiming ownership on ideas (hello apple).
 Maybe the US world domination plan just needs to be structured differently more toward cooperation Tongue
To some extend, regulation can be a good thing. Since the conditions of a free market, that all participants are informed equally, are almost never existing, a balancing set of rules is better than nothing. But acting like an arrogant bumpkin around the world, is only killing people and innovation.
DutchBrat

Activity: 868

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 09:17:32 AM

The FSA does not allow anyone to sell shares to retail investors (i.e. non accredited investors) without a license. They also do not allow an 'exchange' to facilitate said share offerings/sales

Which means the SEC will not come to shut down GLBSE but they can simply ask the FSA to  look into it.

Regulation in this area is almost the same in the USA as it is in Europe.

As Nefario is already in the process of getting GLBSE FSA regulated they presumably already know about GLBSE. The downside of trying to get regulated is of course that when they say NO... they will shut you down. And if Nefario transfers GLBSE to another jurisdiction they can still go after him as they explicitly told him he's not allowed to do it.

If they say yes... then it opens up a lot of possibilities to bring Bitcoin into the mainstream, but it will mean KYC/AML etc...so it certainly won't be anonymous, not for the issuers and not for the investors
flower1024
Legendary

Activity: 1428

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 09:24:35 AM

nefario said that bitcoins are no money and that he wants to do a simple company registration.
i dont know what his current plans are - but i am (still) interested in the outcome.

caveden
Legendary

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 09:50:27 AM

And if Nefario transfers GLBSE to another jurisdiction they can still go after him as they explicitly told him he's not allowed to do it.

Are you saying UK has the habit of forbidding people to do stuff anywhere in the world?
I don't understand why changing jurisdiction would not be possible.

but it will mean KYC/AML etc...so it certainly won't be anonymous, not for the issuers and not for the investors

Is this the case everywhere in the world? There's absolutely no country where investors may buy shares anonymously?
I know there are countries where there's no capital gain taxes. Why would these governments care whether you identify yourself before buying shares?
DutchBrat

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 10:02:17 AM

And if Nefario transfers GLBSE to another jurisdiction they can still go after him as they explicitly told him he's not allowed to do it.

Are you saying UK has the habit of forbidding people to do stuff anywhere in the world?
I don't understand why changing jurisdiction would not be possible.

but it will mean KYC/AML etc...so it certainly won't be anonymous, not for the issuers and not for the investors

Is this the case everywhere in the world? There's absolutely no country where investors may buy shares anonymously?
I know there are countries where there's no capital gain taxes. Why would these governments care whether you identify yourself before buying shares?

If the UK authorities have told you that you are doing something 'illegal' in their eyes. You can yourself move outside of their jurisdiction to a place where it is allowed. If however you yourself stay within the UK but only place the exchange in another jurisdiction then they can still go after you.

As for KYC/AML: no capital gain taxes is different from money laundering rules and terrorism funding. These days governments are more concerned with those aspects than capital gains. Most countries (even Switzerland) give bank account information to any country that asks for it. And most off-shore banks ask for information/source of funds received to cover their own ass else they won't accept your business.
caveden
Legendary

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 10:11:45 AM

As for KYC/AML: no capital gain taxes is different from money laundering rules and terrorism funding. These days governments are more concerned with those aspects than capital gains.

Oh come on, everybody knows KYC laws exist to fight tax evasion.

But yeah, it might be possible that governments that don't care whether you identify yourself before buying shares force you to do it anyway, due to pressure from strong, income-taxing governments.
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 06:30:14 PM

For the record, this is bullshit. You wanna trade fiat, go trade fiat.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
Yolocoin

Activity: 70

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 06:21:30 PM

Why trade fiat when there's a nice proven group of suckers here?
Korbman
Legendary

Activity: 1064

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 06:31:15 PM

Why trade fiat when there's a nice proven group of suckers here?

+1

Seems that way sometimes...there seems to be a solid group of intelligent people here, but then they go and dump their savings into Pirate and expect magic  Undecided

Jutarul
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 06:34:20 PM

Seems that way sometimes...there seems to be a solid group of intelligent people here, but then they go and dump their savings into Pirate and expect magic  Undecided
in reference to:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=103708.msg1188128#msg1188128

Korbman
Legendary

Activity: 1064

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 06:45:13 PM

in reference to:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=103708.msg1188128#msg1188128

HAHA! I totally forgot about that thread...nice for a good laugh this afternoon

capn noe

Activity: 98

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 10:22:02 AM

Considering bids under 0.3 now?
Martin666

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 11:11:58 AM

You still want 0.3...?
Maybe GLBSE does not exist anymore after the weekend ?!
Looking forward to Nefarios announcement... Shocked
theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 12:46:21 PM

Considering bids under 0.3 now?

Yes.

BurtW
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2012, 01:48:38 PM

As a major stockholder can you at least tell us that you do know what is going on (Nefario has told you exactly what is going on)?

Not asking you to divulge what is going on, just to tell us you do know what it is.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
smickles

Activity: 446

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2012, 01:58:55 PM

As a major stockholder can you at least tell us that you do know what is going on (Nefario has told you exactly what is going on)?

Not asking you to divulge what is going on, just to tell us you do know what it is.
I believe he already indicated that he found out about this via a thread on this forum.

smickles

Activity: 446

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2012, 01:59:41 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=115430.msg1244912#msg1244912

BurtW
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2012, 02:12:54 PM

That was on October 04, 2012 at 03:36:00 PM.

Maybe (as a major stockholder) he has been able to have a little chat with Nefario since then?

Jutarul
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 02:17:33 PM

The announcement strategy of Nefario is very irritating. Last topic was something about Yubi-Keys, so he may just refactor the site. However, this is a very unprofessional behavior. This provides a very low incentive to engage into business with the guy.

theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 02:27:48 PM

I don't know what's going on. There is a shareholder meeting later today, and Nefario had better have a damn good excuse for doing this and keeping shareholders in the dark or he's unlikely to be CEO any longer.

Shadow383

Activity: 336

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 02:56:03 PM

I don't know what's going on. There is a shareholder meeting later today, and Nefario had better have a damn good excuse for doing this and keeping shareholders in the dark or he's unlikely to be CEO any longer.
Important question:

Do you or any of the other shareholders have access to any of the backups of GLBSE's database?
In the event it gets shut down (by law enforcement or by anything else) we need some way to ensure that stocks can be migrated...
rapeghost

Activity: 419

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 02:59:20 PM

Important question:

Do you or any of the other shareholders have access to any of the backups of GLBSE's database?
In the event it gets shut down (by law enforcement or by anything else) we need some way to ensure that stocks can be migrated...

Everything is backed up already.
theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 03:17:24 PM

Important question:

The shareholders can work together (using Shamir's secret sharing) to access GLBSE's wallet, but I don't know if we have access to database backups. I never downloaded any database backups. And Nefario could disable all of this if ordered to do so by a court.

HorseRider
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1120

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 04:02:39 PM

The shareholders can work together (using Shamir's secret sharing) to access GLBSE's wallet, but I don't know if we have access to database backups. I never downloaded any database backups. And Nefario could disable all of this if ordered to do so by a court.

Then what is the disaster backup plan? what's the difference between the suddenly death of Nefario and an order from the court preventing Nefario release the Database?

16SvwJtQET7mkHZFFbJpgPaDA1Pxtmbm5P
BurtW
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2012, 04:06:33 PM

Important question:

Wait just a cotton pickin minute here...

Someone besides Nefario has a copy of the database at all times, right?

If big brother is closing in this whole thing should be moving to a server in another jurisdiction automatically, right?

Hmmm...  Maybe that is what is happening right now (?)

Shadow383

Activity: 336

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 04:18:38 PM

Important question:

Please tell me someone besides Nefario has a copy of the database...
Please?
repentance

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 04:19:42 PM
Last edit: October 05, 2012, 04:36:11 PM by repentance

Important question:

The shareholders can work together (using Shamir's secret sharing) to access GLBSE's wallet, but I don't know if we have access to database backups.

How have you guys not seen this as a potential major problem?

Having access to the database doesn't necessarily mean you'd be able to migrate stocks if GLBSE becomes legally restrained from doing business, but it's critical that someone other than Nefario be able to access the database in the event of a catastrophe and it's worrying that you guys don't seem to have planned for that possibility.  Have any of you taken legal advice regarding your own liability in respect of GLBSE?  

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
HorseRider
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1120

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 04:32:03 PM

theymos post this 4 hour ago. it must be 16:30 in England now. Looking forward to the any tinny updates from GLBSE official announcement or words from shareholders like theymos.

16SvwJtQET7mkHZFFbJpgPaDA1Pxtmbm5P
SysRun

Activity: 616

Portland Bitcoin Group Organizer

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 04:37:58 PM

Great, now it looks like Theymos had inside knowledge and was trying to dump the shares. Thanks Nefario.

Images are not allowed. As your member rank increases, you can use more types of styling in your signature, and your signature can be longer. See the stickies in Meta for more info.
Max 2000; characters remaining: 1781
kaerf

Activity: 631

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 05:32:44 PM

theymos, any updates from the shareholder meeting?
theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 05:38:41 PM

Having access to the database doesn't necessarily mean you'd be able to migrate stocks if GLBSE becomes legally restrained from doing business, but it's critical that someone other than Nefario be able to access the database in the event of a catastrophe and it's worrying that you guys don't seem to have planned for that possibility.  Have any of you taken legal advice regarding your own liability in respect of GLBSE?  

GLBSE can continue if Nefario is just hit by a bus or something. The secret-sharing-protected data includes passwords for the server.

I believe that BitcoinGlobal is legally a non-entity and each individual is liable only for his own actions. No one signed the bylaws or any partnership contract.

Hasn't happened yet.

EskimoBob
Legendary

Activity: 910

Quality Printing Services by Federal Reserve Bank

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 06:25:23 PM

GLBSE can continue if Nefario is just hit by a bus or something. The secret-sharing-protected data includes passwords for the server.

I believe that BitcoinGlobal is legally a non-entity and each individual is liable only for his own actions. No one signed the bylaws or any partnership contract.

Hasn't happened yet.

I recall that scammer Trendon Shavers form Texas had also a dead mans switch to return all the coin and what not... LOL

While reading what I wrote, use the most friendliest and relaxing voice in your head.
BTW, Things in BTC bubble universes are getting ugly....
yochdog
Legendary

Activity: 2044

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 06:29:57 PM

Gettin ugly.

I am a trusted trader!  Ask Inaba, Luo Demin, Vanderbleek, Sannyasi, Episking, Miner99er, Isepick, Amazingrando, Cablez, ColdHardMetal, Dextryn, MB300sd, Robocoder, gnar1ta$ and many others!
repentance

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 06:44:49 PM
Last edit: October 05, 2012, 07:40:40 PM by repentance

You might want to get advice on that.  It sounds like you're functioning as a partnership and that has liability implications whether there's a written agreement or not.

In fact I wish everyone would get legal and accounting advice before they launch or become involved in the operation of Bitcoin ventures instead of just assuming that they know the legal implications of their venture.  It's inexcusable for services which will be responsible for other people's funds to not obtain such advice before launch.

If the shareholders meeting today decides to remove Nefario as CEO, exactly who is familiar enough with the inner workings of GBLSE to step into that role immediately?

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
piotr_n
Legendary

Activity: 2053
Merit: 1354

aka tonikt

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2012, 07:28:28 PM
Last edit: October 05, 2012, 07:49:11 PM by piotr_n

I am selling 17500 shares of BitcoinGlobal, the owner of GLBSE. There are currently 77500 total GLBSE shares, so this represents a 23% share in GLBSE.
Wow - that's some unexpected news.

So you, the "Hero Member Administrator", who was only about "following the forum rules" while censoring my GLBSE related posts on this forum - now you are saying that you had 23% of the interest in the GLBSE scum at that point?
Shame on you!!!

Now I can only wonder how many shares of BitcoinGlobal does Goat own...

A bunch of fucking crooks - that's all you are! You, Goat, Nefario... and god knows who else... and I hope you will all end up in jail, because that is a place which the kind of crooks you are should be in. Financial fraud on a massive scale with a conspiracy, secret shares behind, and abusing a public forum to force private interests... it's just fucking unbelievable!

Check out gocoin - my original project of full bitcoin node & cold wallet written in Go.
PGP fingerprint: AB9E A551 E262 A87A 13BB  9059 1BE7 B545 CDF3 FD0E
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 08:17:29 PM

Great, now it looks like Theymos had inside knowledge and was trying to dump the shares. Thanks Nefario.

This ^ +1.

What's to say Theymos doesn't know anything?

I find that hard to believe that this was merely a coincidence of him selling all his shares (or attempting to).

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

Martin666

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 08:28:10 PM

It seems Bitcoin enters more and more into the real world.

Now it seems we could have a case of insider knowledge...I m really curious what will come out of this mess. Huh
repentance

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 09:13:53 PM

Now it seems we could have a case of insider knowledge...I m really curious what will come out of this mess. Huh

Insider trading isn't simply someone having knowledge not available to the general public.  It doesn't really apply to private companies because the public has no inherent right to information about a private company.  Failure to disclose to a purchaser material information affecting the value of shares in a private company veers more into the territory of obtaining financial advantage by deception and other forms of fraud.  That said, the risk of an entity offering unregistered securities being shut down by a regulator is so obvious that it shouldn't require explicit disclosure.

rapeghost

Activity: 419

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 09:34:12 PM

Woah now.. I never said *I* have backups.

BitVPS offers remote backup services with a company in NY. I tried to sell it to nefario, he already had the same service from some one else... That's how I know there are backups.

rg

Important question:

If big brother is closing in this whole thing should be moving to a server in another jurisdiction automatically, right?

rg just confirmed that he has backups.

Yet another reminder why you should be careful who you trust with your data. Wink

Besides, data escrow is a thorny problem on its own.  Who gets the goodies, with access to all kinds of sensitive data?
BurtW
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2012, 09:42:30 PM

Woah now.. I never said *I* have backups.

BitVPS offers remote backup services with a company in NY. I tried to sell it to nefario, he already had the same service from some one else... That's how I know there are backups.

rg

Important question:

rg just confirmed that he has backups.

Yet another reminder why you should be careful who you trust with your data. Wink

Besides, data escrow is a thorny problem on its own.  Who gets the goodies, with access to all kinds of sensitive data?
Back to square one then.

repentance

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 09:49:55 PM

Quote from: Nefario
Yes we've got frequent offsite backups, you've need to read our threads on our disaster plans, from government action to me being hit by a bus.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=112438.msg1218455#msg1218455

Does anyone know which particular threads detail these "disaster plans"?

Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 10:45:18 PM

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to read the writing on the wall.

Plenty of other non-insider folks on these forums saw this coming and pulled their assets out in time.  I just wish I had been one of them.  Now I don't know if I'll ever see my 50 BTC again.

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: