Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 05:56:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Selling 17500 shares of GLBSE (actual shares)  (Read 14926 times)
theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12943

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 07:57:12 PM

- According to GLBSE current trading volume, if there was absolutely zero operating costs and trading stayed at this level, it would take 10 years to recoup the 0.30 you are asking for (10% per year). With the expenses accounted for (Dedicated servers are far from being free), I suspect this amount to be a small fraction of that.

It'd take ~30 years to "recoup" an investment in MSFT... It's strange to think in such terms when dealing with stocks.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 08:11:21 PM

Are you selling because the SEC is doing an investigation on GLBSE?

No. As far as I know, the SEC is not investigating GLBSE.

maaku
Legendary

Activity: 905
Merit: 1011

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 08:14:48 PM

Confirmed with @nefario on IRC that an NDA would be required of anyone that picks up theymos' shares. That's not standard for investors, and a deal-breaker for me Sad

I'm an independent developer working on bitcoin-core, making my living off community donations.
If you like my work, please consider donating yourself: 13snZ4ZyCzaL7358SmgvHGC9AxskqumNxP
TTBit
Legendary

Activity: 1136
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 08:38:21 PM

Headwind is the currency risk. If you expect bitcoin to rise to $100/coin over the next few years, it will be difficult to justify a purchase of 5000 btc today.

good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment
Namworld

Activity: 745
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 09:03:40 PM

- According to GLBSE current trading volume, if there was absolutely zero operating costs and trading stayed at this level, it would take 10 years to recoup the 0.30 you are asking for (10% per year). With the expenses accounted for (Dedicated servers are far from being free), I suspect this amount to be a small fraction of that.

It'd take ~30 years to "recoup" an investment in MSFT... It's strange to think in such terms when dealing with stocks.

MSFT is completly at the other end of the risk spectrum. One cannot expect to invest in a high risk venture at 3% per year when they can get the same returns on a highly stable, established multinational corporation such as MSFT.

I clearly stated that this 10% per year (Assuming there was no operating costs, I suspect actual returns to be closer to 2-5% per year) is far too low for something with so much risk. Not that it isn't acceptable for established and stable businesses.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 09:43:07 PM

I have a few problems with this:
- You're selling shares for 6x the purchase price and I cannot see currently good reasons to price them so high
- You want to exit and have to sell but still set the price to whatever you want.
- For an investment as risky investment as a start-up such as GLBSE, I expect far bigger returns than what established multinationals pay on their stocks.
- The biggest and riskiest part is ahead, not behind. There will be high costs and a lot of work required for bringing GLBSE on a legal stance. This is putting a lot of failure risk along with substantial expenses going forward.
- Even if it's a success and it becomes fully regulated, it would require afterward probably at least 3 - 5 time the trading volume for getting 10% a year on 0.3, which I would still find low on something still as small and risky as GLBSE. With the financial data, I could get a better picture at the operating costs and how much more trading volume GLBSE needs to achieve to have an acceptable level of returns compared to risk.

Until GLBSE becomes registered and the majority of the costs and risk related is behind, I don't believe those shares to have appreciated that much in value. As far as I'm concerned, if you want to sell for 0.30 BTC per share, you might want to stay and sell the shares once GLBSE is regulated, even if you would be listed as a shareholder for some time.

+17,500

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

Namworld

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 09:57:08 PM

Well I still believe they're good, but not that good...

Would you consider selling them in lots of at least 500 shares in the same fashion as the forum's ads auction thread?

Everyone could bid a certain price for a certain amount with a starting price of 0.05 and minimum increments of 0.001

Once you find your buyers, you can propose them to current GLBSE shareholders and see if they are accepted. You would have a list of people to propose in order of highest bid proposed first and could go downward from there from all the bids until all shares are sold as accepted by current shareholders.
2weiX
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1005

this space intentionally left blank

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 10:03:12 PM

issue an asset: 35 shares, each representing 500 GLBSE

put yer asks where ya wants them.
open trading for XYZ days, sell rest into bids

voila

Namworld

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 10:04:39 PM

voila

Eh, all new shareholders have to be approved by all shareholders so that would not work. There's no certainty being the highest bidder guarantees you can actually purchase the shares.
2weiX
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1005

this space intentionally left blank

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 10:07:28 PM

voila

Eh, all new shareholders have to be approved by all shareholders so that would not work. There's no certainty being the highest bidder guarantees you can actually purchase the shares.

have bidders be pre-approved by the cartel (or whatever it is).
theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 10:13:53 PM

If they want to question you, like they want to question me, will you cooperate in the investigation?

Dunno. I might help them catch/prosecute pirateat40, though I'd prefer to cooperate with an agency other than the SEC.

I think the recent "emails from the SEC" are fake.

Would you consider selling them in lots of at least 500 shares in the same fashion as the forum's ads auction thread?

That's essentially what I'm doing now, but privately. I might make it public if I'm not happy with the private bids.

CleverMiner

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 10:25:34 PM

I wish to say that I face-palm hard every time I use GLBSE,  The UI is really bad, Placing an order send you to portfolio ? , 

The orderbook doesn't load half the time, I end up seeing a "Trade (Buy/Sell) click here" and by "click here" I mean unclickable = does nothing.
The order at the same price aren't combined as one.
The graph volume graph is still useless.

All of this is nothing compared to having to wait ~10-20 second for every page load.

If this thing is making money I think it's time you hire some developers or invest into some hosting.

I would expect it to be faster if it ran on a netbook with a 800kbps DSL.

I don't know how anyone manage to trust the whole thing as secure with so much fail.
BinaryMage

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

Ad astra.

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 11:02:35 PM

That's essentially what I'm doing now, but privately. I might make it public if I'm not happy with the private bids.

Is the 0.3 BTC limit per share absolute? (i.e. Should I not even bother bidding if my bid would be below that?)

-- BinaryMage -- | OTC | PGP
theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

View Profile
September 24, 2012, 11:31:18 PM

Is the 0.3 BTC limit per share absolute? (i.e. Should I not even bother bidding if my bid would be below that?)

You can bid, but I think it's very unlikely the price will go that low.

smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 12:42:23 AM

Shit, if you don't want to buy the shares, don't make an offer.  Why does everyone feel the need to run their mouth all the time?

cry more? People can ask questions. If you don't like it keep crying.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .

Jutarul
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 12:53:22 AM

Shit, if you don't want to buy the shares, don't make an offer.  Why does everyone feel the need to run their mouth all the time?

With all the scams recently, legitimate questions do the community a service by helping the readers to activate the other side of their brain and look beyond the money figure.

The ASICMINER Project https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99497.0
"The way you solve things is by making it politically profitable for the wrong people to do the right thing.", Milton Friedman
smoothie
Legendary

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 12:59:51 AM

Headwind is the currency risk. If you expect bitcoin to rise to $100/coin over the next few years, it will be difficult to justify a purchase of 5000 btc today.

This. 5000btc is waaay over priced IMO.

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

Jutarul
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 994

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 01:24:40 AM

That's also called opportunity cost. And here we go again with one of the major critic points about bitcoin: it's deflationary characteristics make investors reluctant to spend their BTC on investments. Even promising ones.

The ASICMINER Project https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99497.0
"The way you solve things is by making it politically profitable for the wrong people to do the right thing.", Milton Friedman
Yolocoin

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 05:01:52 AM

Agreed.
EskimoBob
Legendary

Activity: 910

Quality Printing Services by Federal Reserve Bank

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 12:51:53 PM

And how are the latest shenanigans helping you to sell your slice of this pie?
Few more fuck ups and this overpriced pie starts to look like a pavement pizza.
A Slice? Anyone?

While reading what I wrote, use the most friendliest and relaxing voice in your head.
BTW, Things in BTC bubble universes are getting ugly....
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: