Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 03:33:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Got off the phone with the Guy from the S.E.C  (Read 28472 times)
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2012, 05:04:21 AM

GLBSE is based in the UK and is subject to regulation by the  Financial Services Authority (FSA), we are in the process of becoming a registered company that meets all conditions to carry on business.

Nefario.

This statement will come back at you.

Did GLBSE ever verify the identity of Pirate40 ?

Your selling these securities and allowing an IPO, like SecondMarket.com, but they are regulated which in essence is verifying people.

Nefario,

I think that you forgot you are the sole issuer and custodian for counterfeit, unregistered securities. I think that would be a problem for you.

The SEC will come down hard on you, 5m is not a small amount of money.

At the end of the day, they need to blame someone for this mess and if they can't find Pirate + they will likely try and shut you do down.

I like GLBSE, and it allows for some great Bitcoin projects to raise money and make awesome products for us.

Is there a backup plan? Has the corporate owner under the Ltd. been contacted yet?

-Charlie

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 05:09:54 AM
Last edit: September 25, 2012, 05:21:46 AM by marcus_of_augustus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPlMmwOq7U8&feature=related

someone's making money on the intertubes, we can't have that ... send lawyers, guns and money!

Thank god GLBSE can always come back as an Open Transactions server and all these parasites will have to find real jobs.

Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2012, 05:14:07 AM

Why would we verify pirate40? He never listed listed anything on GLBSE. How are we supposed to verify people who don't even use our platform?

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2012, 05:15:56 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5puAN1PGQw

someone's making money on the intertubes, we can't have that ... send lawyers, guns and money!

Thank god GLBSE can always come back as an Open Transactions server and all these parasites will have to find real jobs.

If all else fails run it behind tor like silk road. Although that reduces the useability a lot.

repentance

Activity: 868

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 05:16:29 AM

Two I think your too far from the source to be accused of money laundering cause only exchanges have to comply with those codes. You accept bitcoins and pay out bitcoins, there is no transfer of bitcoins to cash or cash to bitcoins. So I think your ok.

How the hell are you concluding that?  By Nefario's own statements, it's FSA regulations he needs to worry about in the UK and the FSA is very much in the business of both preventing and prosecuting the use of financial services for money-laundering and other financial crimes.  They regulate financial services markets, exchanges and companies.  That GLBSE doesn't deal in cash is irrelevant to whether or not it is deficient in respect of AML/CTF legislation.  It's absolutely possible to launder money or finance terrorism without ever involving cash - you just keep trading things of value for different things of value.

Pretty much all FATF member countries require that financial service providers be AML/CTF compliant, and that means verifying the identity of their customers at the very minimum.  In the case of stock exchanges, it requires collecting large amounts of information about the stocks being offered and who is behind them.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
Bitcoin Oz

Wat

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2012, 05:19:44 AM

Two I think your too far from the source to be accused of money laundering cause only exchanges have to comply with those codes. You accept bitcoins and pay out bitcoins, there is no transfer of bitcoins to cash or cash to bitcoins. So I think your ok.

How the hell are you concluding that?  By Nefario's own statements, it's FSA regulations he needs to worry about in the UK and the FSA is very much in the business of both preventing and prosecuting the use of financial services for money-laundering and other financial crimes.  They regulate financial services markets, exchanges and companies.  That GLBSE doesn't deal in cash is irrelevant to whether or not it is deficient in respect of AML/CTF legislation.  It's absolutely possible to launder money or finance terrorism without ever involving cash - you just keep trading things of value for different things of value.

Pretty much all FATF member countries require that financial service providers be AML/CTF compliant, and that means verifying the identity of their customers at the very minimum.

GLBSE is a pretty crappy way to launder money. As anyone who uses it can tell you the liquidity is terrible.

Nefario

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2012, 05:33:00 AM

Pretty much all FATF member countries require that financial service providers be AML/CTF compliant, and that means verifying the identity of their customers at the very minimum.  In the case of stock exchanges, it requires collecting large amounts of information about the stocks being offered and who is behind them.

I will tell you how in the hell I am concluding that, because it is the same principle as using second life or World of warcraft, the money is virtual. The laundering starts with currency exchanges and if those exchanges are not following proper laundering laws, then they should be the ones that take the fall. While yes we are funding projects thru that exchange, we are not giving them viable funds, they have to in turn cash those out, bitcoin to bitcoin can't be held under laundering laws since it is already anonymous.

And this is why it's a gray area.

stochastic

Activity: 532

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 05:59:31 AM

If all else fails run it behind tor like silk road. Although that reduces the useability a lot.

I don't think any companies should be listed with government agencies.  Staying fluid is the best option.

Introducing constraints to the economy only serves to limit what can be economical.
Bitcoin Oz

Wat

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2012, 06:04:18 AM

I don't think any companies should be listed with government agencies.  Staying fluid is the best option.

Plenty of bitcoin companies are registered and they cant raise bitcoins by listing on any current stock exchanges and unless bitcoin is going to remain a niche internet currency at least some companies are going to have to interface with the greater economy.

Nefario

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2012, 06:17:02 AM

Not every company is able to up and move, or keep its location hidden the way a bitcoin one can. And unless they stay out of the banking system completely this just isn't an option.

Look at GLBSE, we have to register otherwise the tax men will be coming after me.

Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2012, 06:25:19 AM

Why would we verify pirate40? He never listed listed anything on GLBSE. How are we supposed to verify people who don't even use our platform?

So why was GLBSE brought up in this topic ?

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

Nefario

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2012, 06:27:04 AM

Same reason BFL was, the guy mentioned us in passing when asking about pirate.

Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2012, 06:30:31 AM

This SEC guy is sneaky

Maybe I should go down and meet him. Not sure if its a good idea.

What do you think ?

Nefario

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2012, 06:35:10 AM

This SEC guy is sneaky

What do you think ?

Why not, maybe he just likes bitcoins.

Bitcoin Oz

Wat

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2012, 06:38:07 AM

This SEC guy is sneaky

What do you think ?

Ask him about http://empireavenue.com while youre there  Smiley

repentance

Activity: 868

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 07:22:19 AM

This SEC guy is sneaky

What do you think ?

I don't think he's "sneaky".  Trying to work out who's connected to what is pretty much standard for any investigation.  pirate pass-throughs were listed on GBLSE, so the role of both the PPT operators and GBLSE itself in pirate's operation is bound to come under scrutiny.  Even seemingly unconnected things could be connected, so no investigation is going to dismiss information about other apparent ponzis or enterprises in which the operators have "cut and run" out of hand just because they're not connected at first glance.  They're going to look for any common points and common people.

I think that anyone who looks like they can provide key information which may be vital to a future prosecution needs to realise that they may find themselves on the receiving end of a subpoena at some point, though, and that those who facilitated the flow of funds to pirate probably have the most to worry about in that regard.  

pirate's venture was being openly promoted here when it was thought that he was laundering funds for Silk Road or other illegal enterprises, so there are larger issues involved than him simply operating a possible ponzi.  To an investigator, this place must look like a haven not just for scammers, but also for those looking to attract funds for and from other illegal ventures.  Any investigation into pirate's activities is going to raise questions about other people and other ventures which promote themselves here - that's a given.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 10:23:29 AM

While you are there ... ask them why nobody was charged in MF Global robbery ... just in passing.

BitcoinINV (OP)

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 11:45:22 AM
Last edit: September 25, 2012, 11:55:45 AM by BitcoinINV

This SEC guy is sneaky

What do you think ?

Take a Lawyer or 5, lol cause everyone in that building is lawyer/investigator lol 1 wrong word any you could you could be in a world of hurt

I have a close friend who works a investigator for the local sheriff, they will always ask some questions they know the answer to, they just want to see if you lying to cover something up at first. So yes being sneaky is part of every investigation, they will be friendly with you so you feel at ease. The whole thing behind this is the VAST majority of us are just trying to do business and be left alone. We do not commit crimes against anyone, or anything so the community as a whole should be alright. It saddens me to see them going after Glbse, its a great tool. I have said this before and I will say it again...... U.S. Gov is watching this site... every part.... BFL's mess was public here and guess what they read it.  There is a ton of interns working in this office, how do I know? I called the guy back last night to ask him to join the forum, but I called the dispatch. She said asked who I can connect you to, I said the guy with the intern, I can not remember his name. She chuckled at me and told me there was 100's of interns there lol. My guess is a couple of these interns job is to read this forum and pick out possible "scams". So if you read this say "Hi" don't be shy LMFAO.

Bitcoin Oz

Wat

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2012, 11:55:38 AM

This SEC guy is sneaky

What do you think ?

Take a Lawyer or 5, lol cause everyone in that building is lawyer/investigator lol 1 wrong word any you could you could be in a world of hurt

They would probably call you a co conspirator with glbse because you both use bitcoins  Cheesy

Dalkore
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1026

Mining since 2010 & Hosting since 2012

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2012, 03:28:07 PM

This SEC guy is sneaky

What do you think ?

Being that you have a real business that is successful, being proactive is a good suggestion.  I would bring an attorney if possible or at least have one on call that can be available and do a little coaching before you show up.

Hosting: Low as $60.00 per KW - Link
Transaction List: jayson3 +5 - ColdHardMetal +3 - Nolo +2 - CoinHoarder +1 - Elxiliath +1 - tymm0 +1 - Johnniewalker +1 - Oscer +1 - Davidj411 +1 - BitCoiner2012 +1 - dstruct2k +1 - Philj +1 - camolist +1 - exahash +1 - Littleshop +1 - Severian +1 - DebitMe +1 - lepenguin +1 - StringTheory +1 - amagimetals +1 - jcoin200 +1 - serp +1 - klintay +1 - -droid- +1 - FlutterPie +1
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: