Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 02:29:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin is NOT a currency debate!  (Read 6134 times)
loiterin9 (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 06:32:50 PM

From all of the anti-bitcoin arguments against it not being a proper currency that i've heard (and trust me i've read TONS) im yet to see a single one that justifies such claim. Every single claims end up being a critique of how it lacks intrinsic value or how it lacks a proper marketcap to be less volatile, both already refuted.

Ok. Let me ask why do we want it to be a currency? Maybe you are looking for credibility? But if all the arguments or critique have already been refuted in your opinion why is bitcoin still only used for gambling and speculative trading and not as a currency? What's stopping it if it's such a panacea?
Chavez

Activity: 71
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 06:39:12 PM

From all of the anti-bitcoin arguments against it not being a proper currency that i've heard (and trust me i've read TONS) im yet to see a single one that justifies such claim. Every single claims end up being a critique of how it lacks intrinsic value or how it lacks a proper marketcap to be less volatile, both already refuted.

Ok. Let me ask why do we want it to be a currency? Maybe you are looking for credibility? But if all the arguments or critique have already been refuted in your opinion why is bitcoin still only used for gambling and speculative trading and not as a currency? What's stopping it if it's such a panacea?

IF you can buy shit with it it s a currency. Why do we want it to be a currency? Because it's arguably the only fair and not corrupt one. Not sure where you get all that bitcoin is used for is trading or gambling either.
S4VV4S

Activity: 1582
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 06:41:24 PM

In my opinion, the only thing stopping it slowing it down and mass adoption, is making it easier for the mass to use.
We are in the right direction with hardware wallets and cards.
Once those become easier to use by anyone, then mass adoption will slowly take place.
And yes, it will be seen as and called a currency (by the mass) then.
hunnaryb

Activity: 506
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 06:49:51 PM

that is true and if we can use it as a mode of payment for purchase then it is a currency and no doubt it is mainly used for gambling but that is least concerned. The only thing important for us is that we can buy basic stuffs and we can convert it into local currency.

▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇

loiterin9 (OP)

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 06:53:28 PM

IF you can buy shit with it it s a currency. Why do we want it to be a currency? Because it's arguably the only fair and not corrupt one. Not sure where you get all that bitcoin is used for is trading or gambling either.

To buy shit you do not need currency. You can buy shit with gold, a promissory note, or smokes if one is in jail. Bitcoin has some characteristics of currency in particular it's a medium of exchange. The only intinsinc value that it has is based on the fact that it is a pretty good medium of exchange but it would be nothing of there was nothing to exchange it for.

If we say that it is not a currency than regulators of this would let it be, if we continue on the path of enchuching onto the hegemony of USD they will shut it down. All they have to do is to say it's illegal and it would be game over for bitcoin.
loiterin9 (OP)

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 06:58:03 PM

In my opinion, the only thing stopping it slowing it down and mass adoption, is making it easier for the mass to use.
We are in the right direction with hardware wallets and cards.
Once those become easier to use by anyone, then mass adoption will slowly take place.
And yes, it will be seen as and called a currency (by the mass) then.

I agree with you 100% bitcoin is not easy to use. But when it will become easy to use you would not know that you are using bitcoin. In one aspect it is destined to become sophisticated payment rails like MasterCard of Visa but hopefully cheaper.
Clegg

Activity: 176
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 07:13:04 PM

To buy shit you do not need currency. You can buy shit with gold, a promissory note, or smokes if one is in jail. Bitcoin has some characteristics of currency in particular it's a medium of exchange. The only intinsinc value that it has is based on the fact that it is a pretty good medium of exchange but it would be nothing of there was nothing to exchange it for.

If we say that it is not a currency than regulators of this would let it be, if we continue on the path of enchuching onto the hegemony of USD they will shut it down. All they have to do is to say it's illegal and it would be game over for bitcoin.

Using smokes is bartering, not buying something. Gold isn't really a valid currency because it is not easily divisible. How do I buy a pack of smokes with a gold bullion? I can't. But wait, I can buy them with bitcoin. Why are you not making the same arguments against fiat?  Is that not a currency too?T he gov are not going to shut it down. They'll regulate it because they want to tax it and if people are using it a a currency - which they are - then they're not going to leave it alone so everyone can just have their money to launder or use without having to pay taxes on it. Bitcoin is a currency so stop posting rubbish or half-assedly trolling.
loiterin9 (OP)

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 07:24:37 PM

Using smokes is bartering, not buying something. Gold isn't really a valid currency because it is not easily divisible. How do I buy a pack of smokes with a gold bullion? I can't. But wait, I can buy them with bitcoin. Why are you not making the same arguments against fiat?  Is that not a currency too?T he gov are not going to shut it down. They'll regulate it because they want to tax it and if people are using it a a currency - which they are - then they're not going to leave it alone so everyone can just have their money to launder or use without having to pay taxes on it. Bitcoin is a currency so stop posting rubbish or half-assedly trolling.

I could guarantee you that you would find more people how would accept a piece of gold before they would accept a bitcoin. Following your logic, gold is currency...
loiterin9 (OP)

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 07:25:53 PM

An it has nothing to do with trolling. It's a debate. Substantiate your argument and join in. 
Hopalong

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 07:44:27 PM

I could guarantee you that you would find more people how would accept a piece of gold before they would accept a bitcoin. Following your logic, gold is currency...

And a lot more people would accept smoke since this is the most used "currency" in jails around the world.
loiterin9 (OP)

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 07:48:12 PM

And a lot more people would accept smoke since this is the most used "currency" in jails around the world.

Thanks for the argument Smiley So, until bitcoin reaches the same level of acceptance it's NOT a currency
bornil267645

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

AltoCenter.com

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2015, 07:54:22 PM

Bitcoin is still not a currency. Not yet. It doesn't have the market cap, global adoption to back it up. The result is too much volatility. But we don't need to go to far with our thoughts. We just simply need to use bitcoin as an alternative payment system and let it sort out it's space in the world economy in time. Someday it will be the most influential currency world has ever see.

Clegg

Activity: 176
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 07:58:30 PM

An it has nothing to do with trolling. It's a debate. Substantiate your argument and join in.  

You need to learn to quote properly. You don't need to double post with massive walls of quotes each time but I've already substantiated it, but you haven't other than posting your incorrect opinion constantly so you need to substantiate yours or provide something more than hasn't been disproved time and time again. You're not going to change any ones opinion here but you can keep parroting it like it means something.

Could you guarantee me that? Show me this guarantee. I'm not saying gold can't be used as currency, for instance gold coins, but most people won't accept gold coins or bits of gold for things, but you can't make your piece of gold divisible to pay for a packet of cigarettes nor could you get your change back in gold. In fact, I'd say it far easier and quicker to buy cigs for bitcoins than it is gold, so regardless of you saying bitcoin isn't a currency over and over that's just your opinion, and one where you're wrong.

Thanks for the argument Smiley So, until bitcoin reaches the same level of acceptance it's NOT a currency

Oh, look, the troll has an alt account. So cigarettes are currency now but bitcoin isn't? Just because you keep repeating the same thing over and over doesn't make it true, though maybe in your head it does.
loiterin9 (OP)

View Profile
July 17, 2015, 05:20:01 AM

You need to learn to quote properly. You don't need to double post with massive walls of quotes each time but I've already substantiated it, but you haven't other than posting your incorrect opinion constantly so you need to substantiate yours or provide something more than hasn't been disproved time and time again. You're not going to change any ones opinion here but you can keep parroting it like it means something.

Thanks for the opportunity  Smiley

Could you guarantee me that? Show me this guarantee. I'm not saying gold can't be used as currency, for instance gold coins, but most people won't accept gold coins or bits of gold for things, but you can't make your piece of gold divisible to pay for a packet of cigarettes nor could you get your change back in gold. In fact, I'd say it far easier and quicker to buy cigs for bitcoins than it is gold, so regardless of you saying bitcoin isn't a currency over and over that's just your opinion, and one where you're wrong.

You are confusing convenience with a definition of currency. Gold and later gold standard has been used for thousands of years as currency. As it is less divisible, yes, I agree it is not as convenient as for example bitcoin to make a small payment. But you argue that if it is convenient, divisible and more or less accepted unit of exchange than it is currency. In that case do you consider WebMoney as currency?

Oh, look, the troll has an alt account. So cigarettes are currency now but bitcoin isn't? Just because you keep repeating the same thing over and over doesn't make it true, though maybe in your head it does.

One in constructing an argument based on logical conclusions can chase the opponent's argument into absurd. You argued that if acceptance is one of the key characteristics of currency than cigarettes are wider accepted than bitcoin hence siggies are currency.

But currency is a lot more than a divisible, medium of exchange in order for it to be currency it has to be a legal tender and that was argued previously. You can call smonting currency but it does not make it currency in legal sense.

In my opinion bitcoin is closer to a unique token but if this token will be backed by gold will it be currency then? Or what needs to happen for it be recognized as currency. In the same what what needs to have happen for digitised gold or other conventional assets  to be recognized as a digital asset?
Kprawn
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1074

View Profile
July 17, 2015, 05:57:06 AM

Thanks for the opportunity  Smiley

You are confusing convenience with a definition of currency. Gold and later gold standard has been used for thousands of years as currency. As it is less divisible, yes, I agree it is not as convenient as for example bitcoin to make a small payment. But you argue that if it is convenient, divisible and more or less accepted unit of exchange than it is currency. In that case do you consider WebMoney as currency?

One in constructing an argument based on logical conclusions can chase the opponent's argument into absurd. You argued that if acceptance is one of the key characteristics of currency than cigarettes are wider accepted than bitcoin hence siggies are currency.

But currency is a lot more than a divisible, medium of exchange in order for it to be currency it has to be a legal tender and that was argued previously. You can call smonting currency but it does not make it currency in legal sense.

In my opinion bitcoin is closer to a unique token but if this token will be backed by gold will it be currency then? Or what needs to happen for it be recognized as currency. In the same what what needs to have happen for digitised gold or other conventional assets  to be recognized as a digital asset?

Are you asking, if a currency is defined as a currency, if it's backed by gold? Because none of the 600+ currencies in the world would fit that definition, if THAT was true.

The currency debate will go on and on.. if your definition of a currency is only linked to it's "legal" status from a government point of view.

Let me ask you this... If say 10 countries/governments  in the world, accept it as a legal tender, would you define it as a currency?

My definition and the Wiki definition of a currency differ in the sense that I accept a commodity as a currency, when it's widely accepted as a medium to exchange value.
{ a system of money in general use in a particular country. }

The Wiki version is based on fiat :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Currency 

THE FIRST DECENTRALIZED & PLAYER-OWNED CASINO
.EARNBET..EARN BITCOIN: DIVIDENDS
FOR-LIFETIME & MUCH MORE.
. BET WITH: BTCETHEOSLTCBCHWAXXRPBNB
.JOIN US: GITLABTWITTERTELEGRAM
Ingatqhvq

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 17, 2015, 08:42:11 AM

Bitcoin is NOT a currency!
What do you think?
I have to say Bitcoin is NOT ONLY a currency! It's more as a platform. But it still a currency Cheesy

loiterin9 (OP)

View Profile
July 17, 2015, 10:00:07 AM

Let me ask you this... If say 10 countries/governments  in the world, accept it as a legal tender, would you define it as a currency?

If one country accepts bitcoin as a legal tender it would be halfway to becoming currency. But I do not believe it will happen. As to the reason, same as Visa or MasterCard would not have either word bitcoin or it's logo on a card. It's a branding issue. Card schemes do not understand who or what is behind bitcoin so for them to put their cherished brand next to something they have no idea about is impossible. I would say it's the same with countries.  Most likely they will develop their own digital currencies. I know Bank of England has 3 man team looking into this and I'm sure others do the same. However, bitcoin can be seen as settlement mechanism between other government backed digital currencies. Time will show. But I'm having difficulty accepting bitcoin as a vanila currency in conventional terms.  
Snail2
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 17, 2015, 12:14:05 PM

In it's simplest form it is just payment rails. Stop thinking about is as currency and what is left to regulate?

If a merchant selling a pair of jeans for $250 accepts a 1 bitcoin and customer 2 weeks later asks for a refund with a value of a bitcoin going up to $300. Is he going to get 1 bitcoin back or a value of the jeans he bought? Naturally, the value, which means 3/4 of a bitcoin at the time of the refund. So, how does it make bitcoin a currency. ITS NOT!

What do you think?

Well, that depends on in what currency the merchant denominated that jeans. If that was $250 but as an alternative payment method he/she accepted 1 BTC (at the then current $250 exchange rate) then he should refund $250 worth BTC. If he sold that Jeans for 1 BTC what was worth $250 in that time then he/she should give back 1 BTC even if it went up to $300 in the meantime.
loiterin9 (OP)

View Profile
July 17, 2015, 01:59:10 PM

Well, that depends on in what currency the merchant denominated that jeans. If that was $250 but as an alternative payment method he/she accepted 1 BTC (at the then current $250 exchange rate) then he should refund $250 worth BTC. If he sold that Jeans for 1 BTC what was worth $250 in that time then he/she should give back 1 BTC even if it went up to $300 in the meantime.

Agreed.
neurotypical

Activity: 672
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 17, 2015, 06:29:27 PM

In it's simplest form it is just payment rails. Stop thinking about is as currency and what is left to regulate?

If a merchant selling a pair of jeans for $250 accepts a 1 bitcoin and customer 2 weeks later asks for a refund with a value of a bitcoin going up to $300. Is he going to get 1 bitcoin back or a value of the jeans he bought? Naturally, the value, which means 3/4 of a bitcoin at the time of the refund. So, how does it make bitcoin a currency. ITS NOT!

What do you think?

Man is it that hard to understand? He would get the same value back. ALL currencies fluctuate, the thing is Bitcoin does it a ton more since it's new.
If you bought those jeans in gold, and gold fluctuated, it would be the same thing.

A currency is a currency if it's accepted for exchange of goods and services, that's all, the rest is mental masturbation.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: