Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 10:40:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: - A Mining Newbie looking for answers -  (Read 1448 times)
OmegaStarScream (OP)
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6133

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 03:38:42 PM

An S5 (or S1, S2, S3, S4, S4+, U2, U3) can be used to mine any coin that uses SHA256D.  For example, BTC, NMC, HUC, MZC, CURE, TAK, PPC... all can be mined with that hardware.

Coins like LTC, DOGE, DASH, etc cannot be mined with that because they use different hashing algorithms (Scrypt, X11, etc).

Understood & thanks for taking time to answer me to all my newbie questions , I just didn't got into mining and was never interessted till now . even if I'am a Senior Member Grin

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 06:45:21 PM

An S5 (or S1, S2, S3, S4, S4+, U2, U3) can be used to mine any coin that uses SHA256D.  For example, BTC, NMC, HUC, MZC, CURE, TAK, PPC... all can be mined with that hardware.

Coins like LTC, DOGE, DASH, etc cannot be mined with that because they use different hashing algorithms (Scrypt, X11, etc).

Understood & thanks for taking time to answer me to all my newbie questions , I just didn't got into mining and was never interessted till now . even if I'am a Senior Member Grin

I / we like intelligent questions.
OmegaStarScream (OP)
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6133

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 06:51:41 PM

You said in another thread you are from algeria which seems to be a pretty hot nation, the electric is cheap but we don't know your living conditions and how spacious your home is. These miners will make it a lot warmer and may make life pretty miserable at home, I say you probably shouldn't mine. If you really want to make coin there are other ways.

Indeed I'am from algeria , It's warm on summer , basically we have the four seasons . however I thought I should care the miners being warm when I have shitload of them like a Mining farm or something , even with one miner I should care about that ? why it dosen't cool it self down just like the PC does ? or it takes a lot much power ? :/

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 16, 2015, 08:40:06 PM

You said in another thread you are from algeria which seems to be a pretty hot nation, the electric is cheap but we don't know your living conditions and how spacious your home is. These miners will make it a lot warmer and may make life pretty miserable at home, I say you probably shouldn't mine. If you really want to make coin there are other ways.

Indeed I'am from algeria , It's warm on summer , basically we have the four seasons . however I thought I should care the miners being warm when I have shitload of them like a Mining farm or something , even with one miner I should care about that ? why it dosen't cool it self down just like the PC does ? or it takes a lot much power ? :/
Well computers change how much power they're using and unless a high end gaming pc you probably aren't using over 500w often while an s4+pulls 1450w and the heat is being blown into the room constantly. 1450w is essentially a space heater being on 24/7 and it will definitely change the temp in the room.

Also most home PC are not built to be pushed like GPU farms do.  Most GPU farms used open air machines.   

Basically it was a riser allowing you to spread your cards apart and put in air made a heck of a difference on cooling.   I turned all mine into open air during my GPU day's and used extra fans to help with heat.

Sadly they don't compare to today's asics, do ROI math but most running a PC will be at a loss when trying to mine.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: