Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 04:35:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 »
  Print  
Author Topic: BFL Requests Input  (Read 34793 times)
Transisto
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2012, 08:54:53 AM

Please, BLF, enough with the secrecy.

I'd prefer the delivery to be off by months due to a stupid mistake than to get feed bullshit once more.

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/showthread.php/31-Community-Representative-to-Visit-BFL-Manufacturing-Facilities-Poll?p=4467&viewfull=1#post4467
hardcore-fs

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2012, 10:27:50 AM

Kano is a cgminer developer, so if delivery of ASICS is for first week of december and they will visit by the end of november, must have kano an ASIC for testing before visit? Will asics be delivered before mining software is tested? AS is said in my country this seams to be too much run Cheesy

Visit have no sense for me, I though visit was for to calm people, check that BFL exist, facilities exist, and so on... But they won't visit until asics are almost to be delivered? a waste of money and time.

Regards

One "suspects" a massive rush..... get parts in, throw together a production line in less than 2 weeks? ,show the patsies.
Ship following week....
No photos, no visitors and all this with months to prepare.
Sorry but having run electronic production facilities with SMT I just don't see it.
HC

Me - patsy - no.
You - get a life - yes Smiley

We'll let you know how that experience of yours goes ...

I'll state the blatantly obvious: there's no point having photos or visitors before there is something to see Tongue
(major newsflash - cgminer needs hardware to run ...)
Once there is something to see, they will be wanting to ship it out ...
So oddly enough the two events will be close together ...........

My patsy comment related to  manufacturing experience.
So exactly how much manufacturing experience do you have ?
Judging by your comments above, very little, but please feel free to correct me.

"Once there is something to see, they will be wanting to ship it out ...
So oddly enough the two events will be close together "

Again, if you had manufacturing experience you would understand how ludicrous that statement was.

SMT production is NOT just throwing in a couple of machines, trundling raw materials in one end  and getting finished product out of the re-flow oven at the other end.

It can take MONTHS or at the VERY LEAST several weeks to setup and profile an SMT line, as a result there WOULD be something to see LONG before master production is begun, if not then the potential for some very expensive mistakes abound.

SMT machines just means that inexperienced production technicians  can make mistakes in bigger quantities at a faster rate, and it has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with your god like ability to "mine bitcoins"

HC

BTC:1PCTzvkZUFuUF7DA6aMEVjBUUp35wN5JtF
Keefe

Activity: 681
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 11:22:27 AM

Do you realize that BFL is not using their in-house production line for the first batch? They'll continue using the company that did their FPGA boards for the first ASICs.

hardcore-fs

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2012, 11:44:31 AM

Do you realize that BFL is not using their in-house production line for the first batch? They'll continue using the company that did their FPGA boards for the first ASICs.

1.Sorry what has that got to do with anything?
We are discussing  "The Right tool for the job"

2. pictures?

BTC:1PCTzvkZUFuUF7DA6aMEVjBUUp35wN5JtF
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4522
Merit: 1844

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 12:15:43 PM

Kano is a cgminer developer, so if delivery of ASICS is for first week of december and they will visit by the end of november, must have kano an ASIC for testing before visit? Will asics be delivered before mining software is tested? AS is said in my country this seams to be too much run Cheesy

Visit have no sense for me, I though visit was for to calm people, check that BFL exist, facilities exist, and so on... But they won't visit until asics are almost to be delivered? a waste of money and time.

Regards

One "suspects" a massive rush..... get parts in, throw together a production line in less than 2 weeks? ,show the patsies.
Ship following week....
No photos, no visitors and all this with months to prepare.
Sorry but having run electronic production facilities with SMT I just don't see it.
HC

Me - patsy - no.
You - get a life - yes Smiley

We'll let you know how that experience of yours goes ...

I'll state the blatantly obvious: there's no point having photos or visitors before there is something to see Tongue
(major newsflash - cgminer needs hardware to run ...)
Once there is something to see, they will be wanting to ship it out ...
So oddly enough the two events will be close together ...........

My patsy comment related to  manufacturing experience
My "get a life" comment related to your lack of having one. Get one.

SMT machines just means that inexperienced production technicians  can make mistakes in bigger quantities at a faster rate, and it has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with your god like ability to "mine bitcoins"

HC
We'll see how much you know about how BFL is doing their production when it happens ...

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2012, 03:55:06 PM

Especially since you'll be shipping product in about 4 weeks.
Correction: 4-6 weeks.

Did I miss this announcement, or does ckolivas know something that we don't?

I guess he would have a better idea than most, since he will/has receive a dev unit.

Could you elaborate on how you know BFL won't be shipping for 4-6 weeks?

I don't know about that, but the dude has his own Wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Con_Kolivas

Even Gavin doesn't have one of those.

~Bruno K~
sharky112065

Activity: 383
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 04:09:59 PM

Sigh. I guess there will always be BFL haters and self proclaimed experts that think they know how to produce BFL's product. Why can't people just sit and wait patiently? I have pre-orders as others here have; but what good is it to worry and spread FUD? Maybe some people doing that are competitors.

Bottom line is, if it is stressing you out so much, cancel your order/s and order from another outfit. There are other avenues to pursue for getting ASIC hardware.

Donations welcome: 12KaKtrK52iQjPdtsJq7fJ7smC32tXWbWr
punin

Activity: 560

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2012, 05:47:41 PM

Sigh. I guess there will always be BFL haters and self proclaimed experts that think they know how to produce BFL's product. Why can't people just sit and wait patiently? I have pre-orders as others here have; but what good is it to worry and spread FUD? Maybe some people doing that are competitors.

Bottom line is, if it is stressing you out so much, cancel your order/s and order from another outfit. There are other avenues to pursue for getting ASIC hardware.

I think Con was just making a sarcastic reference to BFL's early days when they claimed 4-6 weeks delivery.

Regarding "BFL haters", there are many highly skilled engineers participating on these forums, that voice a concern over BFL's claims. I think it's a fair warning to those, who don't have the necessary technical expertise to evaluate these claims. I personally know it's possible to produce what they are claiming (and even better), but the timeframe and lack of evidence of a working prototype strongly suggests they're going directly into production with their design. There are great risks (and rewards in this case) associated with this approach. I personally wish all of these ASIC manufacturers would be more open regarding their process and the risks related. I have to give thumbs up to Friedcat for his very open communication on the Blockerupter project. Too bad GLBSE ruined it for them.

Head of Product Development
Bitfury Group
www.bitfury.com
sharky112065

Activity: 383

View Profile
November 09, 2012, 06:43:59 PM

I think Con was just making a sarcastic reference to BFL's early days when they claimed 4-6 weeks delivery.

Regarding "BFL haters", there are many highly skilled engineers participating on these forums, that voice a concern over BFL's claims. I think it's a fair warning to those, who don't have the necessary technical expertise to evaluate these claims. I personally know it's possible to produce what they are claiming (and even better), but the timeframe and lack of evidence of a working prototype strongly suggests they're going directly into production with their design. There are great risks (and rewards in this case) associated with this approach. I personally wish all of these ASIC manufacturers would be more open regarding their process and the risks related. I have to give thumbs up to Friedcat for his very open communication on the Blockerupter project. Too bad GLBSE ruined it for them.

Regarding the "haters", my issue with it is that I'm not seeing the same amount of picking apart and jabs at other ASIC projects.

I have no real loyalty to BFL and have never before owned any of their products. I do have pre-ordered product now.

It just seems like there is a lot of BFL hate out there. Maybe it has something to do with their FPGA rocky start.

Personally, I want them to succeed. I want all of the ASIC providers to succeed. Competition will be a good thing.

I'm not going to have a problem with people bashing them on valid issues after the product is released, but as it is now there is no released ASIC product. All this complaining and bashing just seems pointless at this stage.

Donations welcome: 12KaKtrK52iQjPdtsJq7fJ7smC32tXWbWr
Meatball

Activity: 378

View Profile
November 10, 2012, 05:15:30 AM

I think most of the "BFL" hate is coming from two places.

1) GPU Miners who can't swing dropping the cash for ASIC's, so they're hoping all ASIC's fail and just pissing on anything ASIC.

2) People who have pre-ordered other ASIC's and are hoping BFL fails or just ships way late, so their pissing on anything BFL.

People can bitch all they want about BFL or any other ASIC's, but they're not going to change anyone's mind that have pre-ordered.  Anyone dropping the cash for pre-orders has most likely thought it over long an hard before they hit the pre-order button.  I'd bet for every actual BFL/ASIC pre-order cancellation there's 10,000 posts here telling people that BFL/ASIC's are never going to work, never going to ship, are a scam, yadda yadda.  It's just getting annoying because there is some bits and pieces of genuine good info/wisdom out there, but you have to wade through 30 topics and 500 posts of crap to get to it.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
November 10, 2012, 07:16:03 AM

1) GPU Miners who can't swing dropping the cash for ASIC's, so they're hoping all ASIC's fail and just pissing on anything ASIC.

2) People who have pre-ordered other ASIC's and are hoping BFL fails or just ships way late, so their pissing on anything BFL.

People can bitch all they want about BFL or any other ASIC's, but they're not going to change anyone's mind that have pre-ordered.  Anyone dropping the cash for pre-orders has most likely thought it over long an hard before they hit the pre-order button.  I'd bet for every actual BFL/ASIC pre-order cancellation there's 10,000 posts here telling people that BFL/ASIC's are never going to work, never going to ship, are a scam, yadda yadda.  It's just getting annoying because there is some bits and pieces of genuine good info/wisdom out there, but you have to wade through 30 topics and 500 posts of crap to get to it.

you forgot:

3) people that are a bit slow in thinking stuff over long and hard, are hence still thinking and have come to the realization that they'd be too late in the queue now to make any serious amount of coins. Now their head hurts from thinking too hard for too long and they have to vent their frustration and envy.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 10, 2012, 07:55:33 AM
Last edit: November 10, 2012, 08:05:53 AM by PuertoLibre

3) Customers who bought BFL hardware and are now turning their official company forum into yet another BitCointalk.org. (Due to legitimate expressions of frustrations)

I don't think BFL needs any help to create frustration. They can do it all by themselves. They simply have to keep doing what they are doing.

Look, they have their own (company controlled) forum, and it is starting to read like this section on this forum. What does that tell you?

People can bitch all they want about BFL or any other ASIC's, but they're not going to change anyone's mind that have pre-ordered.  Anyone dropping the cash for pre-orders has most likely thought it over long an hard before they hit the pre-order button.  I'd bet for every actual BFL/ASIC pre-order cancellation there's 10,000 posts here telling people that BFL/ASIC's are never going to work, never going to ship, are a scam, yadda yadda.  It's just getting annoying because there is some bits and pieces of genuine good info/wisdom out there, but you have to wade through 30 topics and 500 posts of crap to get to it.
I am sorry, but I personally think that BFL is trying to (with intention) use various kinds of stall tactics until their products actually are ready.

Their game plan has always openly been to:

1) Be the first to market. (they may now soon be the second or third if this keeps up)

2) To produce thee most electrically efficient system.

(The advantage here is seriously slipping against bASIC each time they release new info)

The Customers side is:

1) To possess the mining systerms they purchased as soon as possible to enjoy mining at a very lucrative rate before the reward halving.

(This is all but lost now. Now BFL representiatives are instead switching proposals to an idea that they will be "the most profitable" in the "long run". Lets see if that argument holds much water if bASIC devices come very close to the same power envelope. or if customers receive a system that only produces 3$ a day.)

2) To make money while difficulty is low.

(This is all but lost now, their target dates for shipments keep getting pushed back so that even if Avalon and bASIC who started out later in the game will now ship at almost the same time.)

3) To support the BitCoin Cryptocurrency.

This is goal is still viable.

---------------------------------

So yes, early pre-orders with BFL are unlikely to turn into refunds. As long as the stated goals of either the customers or the vendor are still being met.

If bASIC ships out in late November and Avalon in early to mid January...IF....there is yet another delay....what exactly impels a customer to stay? (Even an early pre-order customer?)

Loyalty? A trade-ins rewards program? A lifetime warranty?

----------------------------------

Each delay makes any sensible customer reassess what they purchased and why they purchased it.

All BFL needs to do is set the date back yet another month to get customers angry or frustrated. If any of the other companies ship on time it will just be one more nail in the coffin.

This is why I don't think BFL needs "haters"...they just need to be themselves and that in itself is enough to create the issues people see and bemoan day in and out.

I imagine this is why they answer questions the way they do, without actually saying anything. I think they have a very good idea long in advance as to what the actual date of shipment will be. I do not think they have a meeting at the end of the month and all agree that they will miss their target a few days before the latest official delay.

Other people with experience know that production lines are difficult and time consuming to set up. Even if and when they hire someone else to do it for them. I think they are being almost facetious when they inform their customers of their ship dates.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/facetious

When people like Bogart and Enrgi ask the right questions, they are probably forced to admit in roundabout ways that things are not going smoothly. They just say it in very circumspect ways as to both be saying the literal truth but also leading people to believe in something which is probably known to be  ill-construed as the actual truth.

I believe this is the reason why the two invited representatives are not on a plane and going to see anything at a BFL facility. If they reported what they saw at this stage it would detract from their business rather than add to it. Adding fear and loathing....etc.

So when the two fly out, then it is a strong indicator that things are ready to actually roll. (Which makes the whole thing kinda pointless IMO).

Right now Kano and Yochdog are where they are because what BFL wants them to see and report is not set up yet. This should reflect on that shipping goal that is just (roughly) 3 weeks away from today. In customers minds that should bring up many doubts (IMO).
BitSyncom

Activity: 336
Merit: 251

Avalon ASIC Team

View Profile
November 10, 2012, 08:37:29 AM

Well, how can ASIC manufacturers be more open? What exactly do you wish to know?
I think Avalon is doing pretty good in that department, if you have questions feel free to ask us.

Transisto
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2012, 08:46:42 AM

I'm amazed by the delay between ASIC annoucement and expected release date of BFL vs bASIC and Avalon,

What is it roughly,  BFL ~9 month , Avalon ~4 month ... ?
vitruvio

Activity: 850
Merit: 331

View Profile
November 10, 2012, 11:26:21 AM

you forgot:

3) people that are a bit slow in thinking stuff over long and hard, are hence still thinking and have come to the realization that they'd be too late in the queue now to make any serious amount of coins. Now their head hurts from thinking too hard for too long and they have to vent their frustration and envy.

+1
CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
November 10, 2012, 03:19:31 PM

I'm amazed by the delay between ASIC annoucement and expected release date of BFL vs bASIC and Avalon,

I agree. It is baffling to me how BFL can start working on their ASIC so far ahead of their competitors, yet ship about the same time as them.

I made a late order (September) thinking that they would be shipping a month ago and that they'd already be through quite a few orders by now.

I am pretty disappointed in them and I wish I would of ordered from a different vendor, but it's a little too late now. I probably would of got my equipment 2-3 months earlier if I would of ordered from Tom at BTCFPGA.  Roll Eyes
mobodick

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 10, 2012, 03:24:31 PM

I agree. It is baffling to me how BFL can start working on their ASIC so far ahead of their competitors, yet ship about the same time as them.

I made a late order (September) thinking that they would be shipping a month ago and that they'd already be through quite a few orders by now.

I am pretty disappointed in them and I wish I would of ordered from a different vendor, but it's a little too late now. I probably would of got my equipment 2-3 months earlier if I would of ordered from Tom at BTCFPGA.  Roll Eyes

Maybe bASIC just announced it later and were working on it earlier without telling.

Activity: 756

View Profile
November 10, 2012, 08:17:09 PM

what about the notion that bBASIC and Avalon also push back their dates Shocked

Donations: 1JVhKjUKSjBd7fPXQJsBs5P3Yphk38AqPr - TIPS
the hacks, the hacks, secure your bits!
PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 10, 2012, 09:26:43 PM

Funny thing is....
Avalon actually had pushed their date forward to a sooner release date. From February/March 2013 to January 2013. (Did you get that punch line?)

I am not sure what the original date for shipments was for the  bASIC.

In BFL's defense, they are doing Full Custom so that may be why they are taking more time.
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4522
Merit: 1844

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
November 10, 2012, 10:10:46 PM

Funny thing is....
Avalon actually had pushed their date forward to a sooner release date. From February/March 2013 to January 2013. (Did you get that punch line?)

I am not sure what the original date for shipments was for the  bASIC.

In BFL's defense, they are doing Full Custom so that may be why they are taking more time.
bASIC hasn't really changed since they first said in September that it would be Nov/Dec
It's now the first week of Dec - so I guess you'd call that making the estimate more accurate - not moving it.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=79637.msg1157524#msg1157524

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 »
  Print  

Jump to: