Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 04:29:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: TYGRR.* assets on GLBSE delisted.  (Read 33217 times)
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 01:34:27 AM

I only asked that it be sent to theymos as a reference. Theymos is not in charge of this investigation. Additionally, I did not ask for the previous communications. I only asked that a NEW email be sent to Nefario that included the address that would be CC'd to us. I needed proof that Goat wasn't just lying about having sent the address, since Nefario told me that the address he was sent wasn't validating.
I don't understand. How would copies of new communications tell you if Goat was lying about having sent the address? I can understand why Goat thought you wanted copies of previous communications -- how could copies of future communications tell you if he was lying or not?

There is a dispute over whether Goat sent Nefario an address or not. If you're investigating that dispute, you would naturally want copies of past emails. If you aren't investigating that incident, why would a ban threat for lying come up?

I'm very, very confused now.

Unless there's some strange technical problem, either Nefario or Goat is lying about having sent an address. Goat says he did. Nefario says he didn't. Are you investigating this past dispute to see who was lying?
Because I wasn't investigating that, specifically. I just needed to know that Nefario got the address. That way, nothing that happened before would really matter. Besides, past emails can be faked, whereas a new one that we're CC'd on can't be faked as easily.

I care about solving problems, not banning people or marking them as scammers. Besides, those take too much paperwork.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2012, 01:38:10 AM

You are a hypocrit. After all your jumping up and down abpout ponzi schemes and your character assassination of usagi you let an asset list that is both a ponzi and a usagi asset.

While I am not generally in the practice of defending the herpes-covered reprobate that is Mircea Ceaușescu, I would prefer a hypocrite to a moron.  Besides, what does this have to do with GLBSE being a house of cards under management by an epileptic dwarf?

Because they are using these threads to advertise their own exchange. You dont see the cryptostocks guy here mentioning cryptostocks at every opportunity do you ?

Unfortunately glbse shareholders are held hostage as much as anyone else in this situation.

What we should really be worried about is that there isn't even a hint of GLBSE PR. Mircea can go around and say that his exchange is the best. Whether or not MPex is the best is irrelevant because there's no competition.

Is GLBSE going to be here next month? Next year?

At the very least, Mircea (or at least the MPOEPR account) doesn't give me the impression that they will go into hiding at first sign of trouble...

Maybe they should hire someone to lie that everything is rosy while the site goes down the toilet. Would that make you feel better ?

MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 02:01:24 AM

Maybe they should hire someone to lie that everything is rosy while the site goes down the toilet. Would that make you feel better ?

Dude, you have some very serious issues.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
Bitcoin Oz

Wat

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2012, 02:03:06 AM

Dude, you have some very serious issues.

Pot. Kettle. Black.

SysRun

Activity: 616

Portland Bitcoin Group Organizer

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 02:08:15 AM

It seems like we're not making any progess... How will this be resolved?

Images are not allowed. As your member rank increases, you can use more types of styling in your signature, and your signature can be longer. See the stickies in Meta for more info.
Max 2000; characters remaining: 1781
Maged
Legendary

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 02:25:16 AM

How does he *prove* he got a double code usage? If he does this, someone can just submit a code twice using an accomplice and then accuse Goat of scamming.
Heh. This is starting to sound like the problem that a certain P2P currency that I heard about solves. In fact, that's brilliant! There could be a meta-chain that allows multiple "currencies" to be created by anybody that accepts any of the "currencies" that use it as inputs and outputs to a transaction. For example:

[input 1]: 10 BTC (from the buyer of the shares)
[input 2]: 100 ExComp.A (from the seller of the shares)

[output 1]: 100 ExComp.A (to the buyer of the shares)
[output 2]: 10 BTC (to the seller of the shares)

Come to think of it, this could even be hacked into Bitcoin with 51% miner support via OP_DROP to indicate the name of the share and making each share worth 1 satoshi (for the purpose of backwords compatibility). Imagine, sending a dividend would be as simple as sending BTC to the same address that controlled the share during the block # that dividends were scheduled for. God, I LOVE Bitcoin!

Anyway, all that aside, I see your point. Nefario should recall all of the codes and reissue Bitcoin private keys (in Sipa Wallet Import Format), instead (just because that will require the least amount of new software for people to install). Goat should then be sent the corresponding Bitcoin addresses. In fact, because they are all actual Bitcoin addresses, he can start sending dividends right away! Changes in ownership/address can be done with Bitcoin address signed messages, and should be encouraged immediately after people get the private key from GLBSE. These messages can then be posted publicly and/or sent to a timestamping service (of which Bitcoin, itself, can be used as via one of the websites that do that).

Thank you for showing me the error of my ways.

Bitcoin Oz

Wat

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2012, 02:29:34 AM

Yes bitcoin  can solve the entire issue of double spending of the codes since thats what it was invented for  Tongue

Maged
Legendary

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 02:36:57 AM

Message sent to Nefario:
Ok, one last thing. If you don't want a scammer tag, you need to agree to do/implement one of the following:

1) Publicly agree to accept ALL liability for double-spent codes and codes that Goat may not have, but were issued anyway.
2) Recall all of the codes and reissue some kind of private keys, giving the public key list (with their corresponding claim codes from before) to Goat. Personally, I suggest using Bitcoin private keys:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=112551.msg1240911#msg1240911
3) Come to an agreement with Goat to relist his assets.

You have one week to announce one of these options or similar, and one month to implement it. If you need more time than that, let me know along with the reason why.

JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2012, 03:35:39 AM

Message sent to Nefario:
Ok, one last thing. If you don't want a scammer tag, you need to agree to do/implement one of the following:

1) Publicly agree to accept ALL liability for double-spent codes and codes that Goat may not have, but were issued anyway.
2) Recall all of the codes and reissue some kind of private keys, giving the public key list (with their corresponding claim codes from before) to Goat. Personally, I suggest using Bitcoin private keys:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=112551.msg1240911#msg1240911
3) Come to an agreement with Goat to relist his assets.

You have one week to announce one of these options or similar, and one month to implement it. If you need more time than that, let me know along with the reason why.
1) The problem with this solution is that accepting liability may not mean he actually makes good on that liability. Goat would actually have to pay out funds relying on Nefario to make good on his acceptance of liability. It's not clear that this acceptance would be binding on the asset holders either, so if Nefario reneges, Goat could still be left with liability. So Goat can only redeem based on this acceptance of liability if he believes Nefario will make good on it. (And how would this even work? Someone goes to Goat with a code, Goat sends them to Nefario saying the code is not on his list. Nefario says "that's a made up code that I never issued". They now go back to Goat and complain that Nefario lied and they were in fact issued that code. Does Nefario have to make good on this? If not, how does Goat know Nefario didn't steal the asset? If so, an unlimited number of people can scam Nefario and he'd have no choice but to renege on his acceptance.)

2) The problem with this solution is that that's just another unilateral imposition of a broken redemption scheme on Goat, just a slightly less broken one. It still causes substantially the same problems. Two people can still come to Goat with possession of the same private key. Goat still has to decide whether to redeem twice or once. If twice, he's still getting massive liability crammed down his throat that he never agreed to accept. If once, then he's still taking the risk of being branded a scammer if Nefario issues the same code to two people, and he'll never even know whether it was Nefario or the claimant is lying. (Consider the same scenario as in 1 above.)

So two of your proposed solutions can't work. I don't think anyone has any business trying to coerce either side into accepting specific solutions and there's no sense in pressuring one side to agree to a solution the other side won't agree to -- how does that help? If they can't *agree* on a solution, we need to evaluate whether that's because either of them is scamming. (Unless Goat agreed to 1 and 2 above, in which case, he's a fool, but congrats on brilliant mediating. But if he didn't, what good is getting Nefario to agree to things Goat will, and should, never agree to?)

I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume this was just a bad decision on your part. But several people have already told me privately that they believe you are conspiring with Nefario to appear to pressure him into an agreement that we all know Goat won't accept to shift the blame to Goat. I hope that's not true and that this was just an honest lapse in judgment.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
Deprived

Activity: 532

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 03:43:45 AM

This may be a dumb idea, but why not have nefario provide goat with a list of BTC addresses linked as a deposit address to the user's GLBSE account and a share count.

Then there's no liability for goat - as if they lose control of their GLBSE account then they're in exactly the same position as if they'd lost control of it BEFORE goat was delisted (the unauthorised user can sell shares/withdraw BTC).  All liability after goat sends the funds then rests with GLBSE -as it would have done had he been paying by their dividend mechanism.  And the block-chain allows verification of whether funds were actually sent.
burnside
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

Lead Blockchain Developer

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2012, 05:17:56 AM

Option 4)  Goat chooses a new exchange.  Nefario works with that exchange to replicate the shares and accounts necessary for Goat to continue operating his assets.

Occurred to me, as I keep getting PM's asking us to setup a BTC version of litecoinglobal.com.  I think all I'd really need is email addresses and share counts.

burnside
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2012, 05:41:32 AM

Option 4)  Goat chooses a new exchange.  Nefario works with that exchange to replicate the shares and accounts necessary for Goat to continue operating his assets.

Occurred to me, as I keep getting PM's asking us to setup a BTC version of litecoinglobal.com.  I think all I'd really need is email addresses and share counts.

I would consider this (that does not mean i agree to it). However the asset/code holders would have to consent to being moved over and Nefario would still have to remain liable for code transfer issues and problems.

Nefario would clearly have to trust the new exchange.

Assuming Nefario is able to privately transfer the email addresses, the double spend issues go away because the new exchange emails everyone their new passwords.  Any sharing that goes on is the sole responsibility of the new account recipient at that point.
Maged
Legendary

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 05:43:20 AM

1) The problem with this solution is that accepting liability may not mean he actually makes good on that liability. Goat would actually have to pay out funds relying on Nefario to make good on his acceptance of liability. It's not clear that this acceptance would be binding on the asset holders either, so if Nefario reneges, Goat could still be left with liability. So Goat can only redeem based on this acceptance of liability if he believes Nefario will make good on it. (And how would this even work? Someone goes to Goat with a code, Goat sends them to Nefario saying the code is not on his list. Nefario says "that's a made up code that I never issued". They now go back to Goat and complain that Nefario lied and they were in fact issued that code. Does Nefario have to make good on this? If not, how does Goat know Nefario didn't steal the asset? If so, an unlimited number of people can scam Nefario and he'd have no choice but to renege on his acceptance.)
Nefario, of course, CAN steal the asset. However, with such a statement in place, he'd still have to pay for it. I highly doubt that Nefario would accept this, but I made it an option, anyway, since it does solve the issue.

2) The problem with this solution is that that's just another unilateral imposition of a broken redemption scheme on Goat, just a slightly less broken one. It still causes substantially the same problems. Two people can still come to Goat with possession of the same private key. Goat still has to decide whether to redeem twice or once. If twice, he's still getting massive liability crammed down his throat that he never agreed to accept. If once, then he's still taking the risk of being branded a scammer if Nefario issues the same code to two people, and he'll never even know whether it was Nefario or the claimant is lying. (Consider the same scenario as in 1 above.)

So two of your proposed solutions can't work.
No, you're wrong: All THREE don't work. What's stopping Nefario from relisting and giving himself ALL of each asset? How could you POSSIBLY prove that to be wrong? By this reasoning, MtGox is also a scam. Sorry, but at some point, you're just going to have to trust Nefario.

I don't think anyone has any business trying to coerce either side into accepting specific solutions and there's no sense in pressuring one side to agree to a solution the other side won't agree to -- how does that help? If they can't *agree* on a solution, we need to evaluate whether that's because either of them is scamming. (Unless Goat agreed to 1 and 2 above, in which case, he's a fool, but congrats on brilliant mediating. But if he didn't, what good is getting Nefario to agree to things Goat will, and should, never agree to?)
We get to find out who is acting in good faith.

I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume this was just a bad decision on your part.
I'm open to better ideas. However, relisting is off the table.

But several people have already told me privately that they believe you are conspiring with Nefario to appear to pressure him into an agreement that we all know Goat won't accept to shift the blame to Goat. I hope that's not true and that this was just an honest lapse in judgment.
Minus the conspiring part, that's exactly what I'm trying to do. That's how this works: you keep shifting the blame with more and more reasonable offers until an agreement is made.

This may be a dumb idea, but why not have nefario provide goat with a list of BTC addresses linked as a deposit address to the user's GLBSE account and a share count.

Then there's no liability for goat - as if they lose control of their GLBSE account then they're in exactly the same position as if they'd lost control of it BEFORE goat was delisted (the unauthorised user can sell shares/withdraw BTC).  All liability after goat sends the funds then rests with GLBSE -as it would have done had he been paying by their dividend mechanism.  And the block-chain allows verification of whether funds were actually sent.
On the surface, it's a good idea. However, it has the following problems:
1) Deposits may not have all come from a non-shared wallet. This opens the potential for MtGox, etc., to fraudulently claim shares as their own. This is besides the fact that some people will NEVER be able to claim their shares. The same goes for withdrawal addresses.
2) This breaks the privacy that users expected that they had with GLBSE.
3) Nefario could just make up the list. You know, since apparently he can't be trusted to do anything right.

These exact issues also exist with email addresses, except replace 1 with "Users may not have signed up with a secure email address, since it wasn't ever supposed to single-handedly protect the account." Same with any other personal information GLBSE has.

Ask yourself, what does it take to liquidate all of a person's assets and empty their account at GLBSE? The answer is access to their account. Thus, access to someone's account should be all the protects this transfer of assets.

I have already been told I can not accept plan 1 and 2 by my lawyer/adviser. Only plan 3 will be legally acceptable.
Really? I would have thought that listing your assets on an unregulated exchange that has never been audited and has no sense of the meaning of the word "receipt" would be just as illegal, if not significantly more. You must have a bad lawyer.

GLBSE and forum staff trying to forcing me to take a scammers tag because I refuse to do something illegal will backfire.
By listing on GLBSE, you have already broken the law. Thus, we must revert to using something less restrictive for the purpose of this investigation.

I know GLBSE and the staff here want people to think this is my fault. The best thing they can do is explain why I was delisted and why my fees have not been refunded. Because right now it looks like extortion and theft.
They should do that, just because it's good PR. But I will not compel them to do so.

I have already been threatened with a ban unless I did something Maged demanded in 48 hours... highly illegal...
This is a private forum. You do not need to use it if you don't like it. If you want to stay in good standing here, though, you will need to abide by our decisions.

That's the best outcome, but is no different than option 2, in a practical sense.

dentldir

Activity: 333
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 05:50:00 AM

I bet if someone comes up with an option where Nefario isn't an ongoing accomplice for drug trafficking/money laundering/whatever pirate was doing and securities fraud he would be interested.  Why everyone is defending the listing of crooked assets as a customer service issue is fascinating.  It makes legal sense for him to file first so he can control the initial venue/jurisdiction and take the tempo as the plaintiff In a civil case.  That will really get him a hell of a scammer tag on these forums I bet.

1DentLdiRMv3dpmpmqWsQev8BUaty9vN3v
Bitcoin Oz

Wat

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2012, 06:10:23 AM

You: I listed my drugs on silk road and they cancelled my account, can you arrest them  for me ?
Officer: You tried to sell drugs ?

/thread

Deprived

Activity: 532

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 06:14:34 AM

On the surface, it's a good idea. However, it has the following problems:
1) Deposits may not have all come from a non-shared wallet. This opens the potential for MtGox, etc., to fraudulently claim shares as their own. This is besides the fact that some people will NEVER be able to claim their shares. The same goes for withdrawal addresses.
2) This breaks the privacy that users expected that they had with GLBSE.
3) Nefario could just make up the list. You know, since apparently he can't be trusted to do anything right.

These exact issues also exist with email addresses, except replace 1 with "Users may not have signed up with a secure email address, since it wasn't ever supposed to single-handedly protect the account." Same with any other personal information GLBSE has.

Ask yourself, what does it take to liquidate all of a person's assets and empty their account at GLBSE? The answer is access to their account. Thus, access to someone's account should be all the protects this transfer of assets.

I wasn't clear enough what I meant.

I didn't mean nefario gives goat the addresses the user deposited to GLBSE with (which is how it appears you read it).

What I meant was that nefario generates a new GLBSE-owned deposit address for each user - linked to their user-account (so BTC sent to that address arrive in their GLBSE account).  Then gives goat THAT list.

your point 1) is then not relevant.
point 2) also isn't relevant - as the user never provided the address, nor is there any way for someone to link it to their GLBSE account.
point 3) is also a non-issue - GLBSE has no responsibility for how many funds are sent to that address or why those funds are sent (that's down to goat to sort out with his users himself).  Nefario explicitly CAN make up the list - but GLBSE takes on responsibility to provide users with the funds associated with THEIR deposit address (just like they do for deposits to any other deposit address).  So there'd be no benefit in nefario giving goat a list of addresses (and each user the ID of their own goat-related address) that was fake - as he'd then be accepting responsibility for delivering funds that he'd not got control over.

What it doesn't do is give goat any way of identifying individual investors - or investors a way of proving that they're the person receiving funds on the address.  Which would basically limit goat to only being able to pay dividends or do a buy-back.  But he already has the codes which allow that - so long as he's not dumb enough to send funds other than to the BTC address provided by nefario, he could also then buy back shares from individual users (a scammer with the code could only trick goat into buying back the share by sending BTC to the true owner).  Transfers to third-parties (which would take the shares away from GLBSE totally) could be achieved by goat buying the share from the original owner (confirming code then paying to the nefario-provided GLBSE account) then selling it to the third-party.  Provided the amount transferred in both transactions is the market value then the worst a scammer (who somehow got the code) can do is BUY a share from goat at market rate - a share which isn't registered on GLBSE and which goat could just take away from them if he decided they were scamming.  Not much of a reward really.
burnside
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2012, 06:22:45 AM

I'm just shocked that Maged thinks GLBSE is illegal and is so involved in enforcement for them. I personally do not think GLBSE is illegal and that is why I am willing to work with GLBSE. The FSA is not the SEC.

England is not the USA.

I thought bitcoin was play money.  My wife calls 'em "magic beans".

Is it illegal to swap magic beans internationally?

And if I make an online game that uses magic beans, where you're running a business that deals in magic beans, is it illegal to play my game internationally?

We'll call it "Mr. Magic Beans - Sims Business Edition".

(is mmbex.com taken?  mr magic beans exchange?)

It sounds like a fun game to play.
burnside
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2012, 06:24:28 AM

Crap.  If I can't play magic beans here.  I might have to move to Canada.
Maged
Legendary

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 06:24:32 AM

So you are demanding that I do something you think is illegal or I get the scammers tag  :/    Thank you for making your position clear.
Yup, because the scammer tag doesn't really care about laws. It's about keeping people honest.

I trusted GLBSE to take care of the regulation issues as they are the broker and the exchange, they told me it was not a problem and I trusted them. Now you are asking me to become an exchange and it seems I can not do that in the USA or sell to Americans. Maybe I should not have trusted GLBSE but a year ago they seemed on the level and my understanding of the law was not as great as it is now.
You are perfectly free to find someone else who is willing to take care of the regulatory issues. I don't care who takes the codes, it just needs to be someone.

If you think GLBSE is illegal, and you claim they are, how can any of the contracts be valid in the first place? Why are you trying to support an organization you find to be illegal?
Because no court has found them to be illegal and if it were up to me they wouldn't be illegal. Just because I think that they're illegal doesn't mean that I think that they should be, which is the point that I was trying to make.

You are acting as enforcement for this operation you think is criminal, and you doing so means that you are committing a crime yourself.
How am I "acting as enforcement" for them?

Your position on obey us or leave is not really neutral or fair... I guess I should think about leaving if that is the way it is...
You're misunderstanding me. We really do strive to be neutral and fair, and the fact that you're still able to post is proof of that. However, at the end of the day, this is still our forum, so we can legally decide who gets to be here and who doesn't, just like Nefario can with his exchange.

Bitcoin Oz

Wat

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2012, 06:27:01 AM

You: I listed my drugs on silk road and they cancelled my account, can you arrest them  for me ?
Officer: You tried to sell drugs ?

/thread

I'm just shocked that Maged thinks GLBSE is illegal and is so involved in enforcement for them. I personally do not think GLBSE is illegal and that is why I am willing to work with GLBSE. The FSA is not the SEC.

England is not the USA.

If Nefario is being subject to AML investigation on certain people hes not allowed to tell them or go to jail himself. Thats one scenario.

Protip: Lawyers dont really care about customer service.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: