Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 01:36:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mt.Gox - Temporary suspension of all GBP Deposits via Barclays  (Read 3418 times)
Mt.Gox_Alex (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2012, 07:08:08 AM

https://mtgox.com/press_release_20120925.html

TOKYO - JAPAN - September 25, 2012

It is with regret that we have to inform our British users that you will no longer be able to deposit British Pounds (GBP) to our Barclays bank account from now on.

While we have not yet been formerly contacted by Barclays or any of its representatives, we are as for today, unable to accept any GBP deposits into our Barclays account. Rest assure that we are doing our best to get to the  bottom of this situation as well as being able to resolve this matter one way or another with Barclays or via other British and/ or European Banks.

Meanwhile, please note that you can still use our Polish EUR Bank account for both Deposits and Withdrawals as well as our Japanese GBP account for deposits and withdrawals (additional fees may apply).

On Behalf of the entire Mt.Gox team, please accept our apologizes for any inconvenience this temporary suspension of GBP deposits may have caused.

Regards
Mt.Gox Co. Ltd Team.

Media Contacts
press@mtgox.com

Mt.Gox : The Leading International Bitcoin Exchange.
Mt.Gox Merchant Solutions :   Now Available!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2012, 08:04:36 AM

So, when are you guys getting a proper financial license ?

Mt.Gox_Alex (OP)

Activity: 112

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2012, 08:26:38 AM

Believe it or not... We are working on it, and unlike other services our situation is really different, still we hope to have some nice stuff to announce at one point and others before the end of this year (Hopefully)

Mt.Gox : The Leading International Bitcoin Exchange.
Mt.Gox Merchant Solutions :   Now Available!
davout
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2012, 08:28:38 AM
Last edit: September 25, 2012, 08:39:15 AM by davout

unlike other services our situation is really different
is it ?

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 08:34:57 AM

There was a thread just posted asking for a survey of exchanges in the UK, so I thought I'ld share that link here:

- http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=112683.0

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Lethos

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

Keep it Simple. Every Bit Matters.

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2012, 08:41:57 AM

This is really starting to be a damning blow for UK users of bitcoin, if exchanges trying to operate in the UK can't get their ducks in a row and end up being shut down because they didn't.

That is the way I see it with every exchange which tries to have a presence here, am I really that far off?

MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 09:05:19 AM

Probably just as soon as either the measly income from fees arrives at the range of compliance costs or else as soon as someone sinks a couple hundred million GPB worth of investment into MtGox.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
davout
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2012, 09:15:04 AM

Probably just as soon as either the measly income from fees arrives at the range of compliance costs or else as soon as someone sinks a couple hundred million GPB worth of investment into MtGox.
Compliance can be much cheaper than that.

MPOE-PR

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 12:40:37 PM

Sure, I was just saying there's minimum capital requirements to become a bank.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
davout
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2012, 12:43:23 PM

Sure, I was just saying there's minimum capital requirements to become a bank.

You don't need to become a bank to become compliant.

Yolocoin

Activity: 70

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 03:56:35 PM

What does this shut down mean for GLBSE's chances at "going legit"?
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 09:05:21 AM

Are you asking what does Mt. Gox is having trouble with their bank mean for a BTC-only business looking for approval by the UK securities regulator?

That's like asking what an auto manufacturer recall will mean for a restaurant about to undergo a visit from the health inspector.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

MPOE-PR

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 11:17:44 AM

Are you asking what does Mt. Gox is having trouble with their bank mean for a BTC-only business looking for approval by the UK securities regulator?

That's like asking what an auto manufacturer recall will mean for a restaurant about to undergo a visit from the health inspector.

From leaked information it would appear Nefario is in no way seeking to "become compliant". He has simply retained the services of a company registration firm such as mynewcompany.com for a modest fee, and is looking into but hasn't yet completed some form of LLC registration.

It is possible that in his mind this amounts to "having become compliant", but in the real world outside the insane asylum it'd be the rough equivalent of entering the race of President of the US by means of spraying a graffiti announcement on the south wall of temporary shelter.

Yolocoin

Activity: 70

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 07:28:31 PM

If MtGox can't even keep a bank account open in the UK, what makes you think GLBSE will be able to get any kind of approval on business licensing for a commodities exchange that sells shares in virtual currency?
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 07:23:51 AM

If MtGox can't even keep a bank account open in the UK, what makes you think GLBSE will be able to get any kind of approval on business licensing for a commodities exchange that sells shares in virtual currency?

Well, for one, money transmitter and aml regulations are not the same thing as securities regulations.

For another, Mt. Gox didn't share why Barclay's suspended their account.  Barclay's is a private bank, and if they wish to tell Mt. Gox to go elsewhere, that is certainly within their purview.  You can't assume that a bank action has to do with some regulation.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

davout
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2012, 08:08:23 AM

Well, for one, money transmitter and aml regulations are not the same thing as securities regulations.
Wow wow, hold on a minute there Smiley
Last time I checked, mtgox wasn't licensed with the FSA (or any other similar body for the matter)
And I doubt that GLBSE would be subject to any kind of securities-related laws, at least not before bitcoin gets defined as money.

I would assume that the mtgox account got closed (I doubt it's actually 'suspended') because they're having the same problem as with the CIC in France. Probably the equivalent in the UK of the "unlicensed banking business" charges they had to face in France.

They're lucky that their Polish bank doesn't seem to care.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: