Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 11:52:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Peter Todd calls dash snake oil.  (Read 11969 times)
illodin

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 03:21:27 PM

That's a dumb assumption considering it's easier and more expansive now and a dash mining pedo ring is motivation enough.

Are you worried this imaginary pedo mining ring would get caught? Or that it turns out there never was such ring?

But keep to the shill script; i'm sure snake oil sales is a noble profession in some circles.

Just trying to keep it in touch with the current reality. I presume you being used to stalled development makes you think all the progress is finished after GUI wallet is released and no further improvements are expected.

Hoping its imaginary doesn't make it imaginary, and  last time i checked, law enforcement doesn't need much prodding (or proof) to flex their muscles. But go on saying, "Nothing to see here, everything is under control..." I'm sure that the power of wishing will make technical flaws disappear.

And I'm sure creating more MONERO threads and wishing DASH would go away will make MONERO go to moon anytime now.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
generalizethis (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2015, 03:24:53 PM

That's a dumb assumption considering it's easier and more expansive now and a dash mining pedo ring is motivation enough.

Are you worried this imaginary pedo mining ring would get caught? Or that it turns out there never was such ring?

But keep to the shill script; i'm sure snake oil sales is a noble profession in some circles.

Just trying to keep it in touch with the current reality. I presume you being used to stalled development makes you think all the progress is finished after GUI wallet is released and no further improvements are expected.

Hoping its imaginary doesn't make it imaginary, and  last time i checked, law enforcement doesn't need much prodding (or proof) to flex their muscles. But go on saying, "Nothing to see here, everything is under control..." I'm sure that the power of wishing will make technical flaws disappear.

And I'm sure creating more MONERO threads and wishing DASH would go away will make MONERO go to moon anytime now.

And i'm sure attacking monero will sidestep the puddle of snake oil you are standing in.

canth
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 03:27:01 PM

This isn't a Monero thread - why do you keep bringing it up? If you feel strongly about DASH standing up to scrutiny, maybe you should get Peter Todd to do a debate on a podcast with someone from the DASH team?

Lukas_Jackson

Activity: 615
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 03:30:15 PM

...providing intelligent input

His twitter wasn't an intelligent input.
It was dumb, childish and unintelligent input.

Back to polo. I will try to make some support for you guys. And don't worry. It's my money. My risk. Allright? Thank you

It is easier to be an aggressive victim than to be a free man.
generalizethis (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2015, 03:34:19 PM

This isn't a Monero thread - why do you keep bringing it up? If you feel strongly about DASH standing up to scrutiny, maybe you should get Peter Todd to do a debate on a podcast with someone from the DASH team?

This is a great idea. I don't think Fluffy or Smooth would stand back and let supporters handle it if Monero was put in a similar position. If Evan thinks Peter is out of line, he should correct him.

illodin

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 03:37:20 PM

This isn't a Monero thread - why do you keep bringing it up?

This thread is about Monero created by Monero and bumped by Monero to hype up Monero. Duh.
Lukas_Jackson

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 03:38:31 PM

If Evan thinks Peter is out of line, he should correct him.

Evan is in his hole  Cheesy trying to finish his product while you are trying to drag him out

edit: forgot to mention...back to poloniex where monero has the volume

generalizethis (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2015, 03:39:58 PM

Evan is in his hole  Cheesy trying to finish his product while you are trying to drag him out

Is a hole where he refines his snake oil?

Lukas_Jackson

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 03:41:59 PM

Is a hole where he refines his snake oil?

Choose words you like

toknormal
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1188

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 04:45:43 PM
Last edit: July 20, 2015, 08:11:40 PM by toknormal

I'm off on holiday. See you all later. Be nice to each other now  Wink

oaxaca

Activity: 671
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 05:07:25 PM

generalizethis (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2015, 05:17:53 PM

meme

And attacking monero is refuting Todd, how? Can't Evan refute Peter's assessment or are shills with memes the only thing propping dash up?

Still snake oil....

oaxaca

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 05:29:03 PM

meme

And attacking monero is refuting Todd, how? Can't Evan refute Peter's assessment or are shills with memes the only thing propping dash up?

Still snake oil....

It's difficult to refute Peter's assessment when he provides absolutely no details other than name calling.  Now if he would elaborate...
generalizethis (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2015, 05:32:40 PM

meme

Still snake oil....

It's difficult to refute Peter's assessment when he provides absolutely no details other than name calling.  Now if he would elaborate...

Have you asked him? No?

I'll elaborate on an obvious flaw in its supposed anonymity, maybe you can refute it:

I don't trust this system.  I can't see it and verify it.  What good is it for everything to be hidden completely, to the point where you have to trust that it is working?

With a simple, understandable system that fully protects the privacy of the user,  yet requires no trust - as was always the whole point of the decentralized crypto currency of Bitcoin - DASH is not more superior due to it's complexity, but due to it's simplicity.  If you're such a technocrat that you don't understand this, I can only feel bad for you because the majority of the world will.

LOL. Here's the attack vector Evan created out of ignorance, stupidity or pure not giving a fuck.

The easiest attack is to buy masternodes and ddos attack competing nodes until you own the traffic. Evan claims it's financially implausible, but ignores that nodes are most profitable when there about a 1,000 masternodes (he has a ROI graphic on the dash BCT thread that underscores this). He also ignores that the attacker would be pulling incomes from these masternodes--given that most are held on corporate servers underlies that no one knows who owns them outside of the host and the owner. He also ignores how motivated an attacker may be, that he or another masternode operator might comply given the right circumstances (threat or lawful compliance) and how deep LE's pockets are--silly, dangerous, stupid.

If you trust that system knowing the flaws, you deserve whatever comes your way--except maybe being linked to pedophiles--can you show that link on your explorer?

DOS'ing masternodes doesn't reduce the anonymity set of the transactions or coins mixed before the DOS. If the masternode count drops 50% for example all of a sudden, mixing coins at that moment is not a good idea. It was already suggested a year ago or so that the wallet would take care of this and protect the user during the network downtime. It hasn't been implemented yet afaik, DASH must grow at least 100x at minimum before this (an appearance of such a motivated attacker) would become even a possibility.

DDOS is to control the majority of nodes, not to directly reduce the anonymity set--though by doing so while monitoring the nodes you posses would break anonymity--which was my point. Nice suggestion, but wouldn't an attacker take control of the nodes before any measures were taken, while it was cheapest, and while they could gain the most info for the longest time without raising any red flags? Also, you still have no measure in reality or in the works to stop an organization from using coercion or compliance to motivate a node operator to turn over data--this is even better since the whatevermine granted the first users such a large stash of coins and the masternodes are most likely concentrated in a few hands. But here's the big problem: masternodes are human controlled intermediaries that perform important functions. Whatever breaks dash's anonymity will happen because you trust this moronic system that is begging to be broken. You are playing a game of whack-a-mole and apparently no one in dashland has the theoretical capability to see it or the moral compass to speak up. Snake oil.

canth
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 05:34:51 PM

meme

Still snake oil....

Surely DASH has at least one developer / supporter sophisticated enough to challenge Peter Todd on his assessment, no? If this was my investment, I'd push for answers if someone with a strong tech background called it "snake oil".

oaxaca

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 05:48:06 PM

Surely DASH has at least one developer / supporter sophisticated enough to challenge Peter Todd on his assessment, no? If this was my investment, I'd push for answers if someone with a strong tech background called it "snake oil".

Again, it's tough to challenge his "assessment" when he provides ZERO backup or documentation or analysis or anything but name calling.

OK, let me quote your prophet:

hmmmm.  Is he saying that the instantx feature of DASH is "better off"?
8XMR

Activity: 88
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 05:49:08 PM

meme

Still snake oil....

Can throw life raft near sinking ship. Can not force members to be saved. Some prefer snake oil more than truth. Snake oil taste makes feel better while drowning.

8xmr.com
Calabi–Yau Manifold

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 05:55:31 PM

Sell snakeoil to buy Monero?

I'm thinking about pure profit. War Dash-Monero is out of my game.
oaxaca

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 05:58:27 PM

Dear Peter (if I may be so bold as to call you that as we have never met):

I read your twitter statement comparing DASH to snake oil.  I'm trying to understand your premise.  Could you elaborate with any relevant facts, documents, test results, theories, quotes, assertions, or anything at all that will help me validate your concerns.

Thank you,

An Enthusiast.

-------------------------

There, that should get a response from his holiness within the hour.
generalizethis (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2015, 06:03:10 PM

Dear Peter (if I may be so bold as to call you that as we have never met):

I read your twitter statement comparing DASH to snake oil.  I'm trying to understand your premise.  Could you elaborate with any relevant facts, documents, test results, theories, quotes, assertions, or anything at all that will help me validate your concerns.

Thank you,

An Enthusiast.

-------------------------

There, that should get a response from his holiness within the hour.

Do you think he's lurking here?  Roll Eyes

Try this: http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: