Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 11:35:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Peter Todd calls dash snake oil.  (Read 11970 times)
generalizethis (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2015, 09:43:38 PM

Start by rereading it. You missed some things, but I expect selective reading/hearing from dashers. Also, 95% of the nodes are in 5 countries (all allies) and on hosting services and there aren't 2,800 active nodes--last time i checked it was around 1,200. given pedos are mining dash (allegedly) it wouldn't be hard to imagine those countries working together to stop and prosecute by using subpoenas or coercion to hosting companies or the mn operators themselves.

Last I checked there are 2,866 ACTIVE MasterNodes. 1,200 was roughly 1 year ago.  You are obviously way behind.  I suggest you start by reading the open source code or the PDFs or something.

Your concerns are real.  I'm sure that the US and it's allies are planning this takeover while we type.  Jesus, this is the best you've got?

Meanwhile, I'm sure you all have been waiting for the reply to my PM.  Here it is:

It was less than two months ago when I did my research: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1077613.0 There are 1,800 active listed, but if you check the dates of the last transaction, you can see many are from months ago which means they aren't active unless masternodes don't pay for months which would suck for the operator--before when I researched, there was a list of the masternode's holdings (1000+ meant active, 0 meant inactive, most weren't --more than half if I remember correctly), but now that information and the hosting company's name is cut off--I'd like to think it was a reaction to my research--you don't want the suckers knowing too much about the going-ons.  

I do like how you create a fake satoshi reply, dismiss the attack vector without any analysis, and misrepresent the real number of active nodes, but I don't expect research or formal arguments from dashers. If you don't think law enforcement would coerce or subpoena mn operators (you'd only need Evan or Otoh for million dash) or hosting companies to comply in order to break up a pedophile-mining ring or a drug syndicate or human trafficking operation, then you haven't been paying attention with how well LEAs orchestrate international sting operations--though again, they would only need one or two whales and they'd have enough to undermine anonymity and it could be done by one domestic agency.

It's an attack vector and it won't disappear until you get rid of masternodes or find a better way for them to create anonymity. Also, Peter Todd hasn't made a post since early June and he is currently offline, so maybe someone can make him aware of oaxaca's request.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
illodin

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 09:51:51 PM

It's an attack vector and it won't disappear until you get rid of masternodes or find a better way for them to create anonymity.

Maybe blind signatures, or

It wouldn't necessarily need a complete redesign to shut that attack vector. All that's needed is to prevent the mixing masternode from knowing which outputs (of the mixing transaction) belong together with which inputs. The mixing peers could do a key exchange and encrypt their own outputs with random mixing peer's public key, and decrypt the others' outputs they can using their private key, and then pass clear text outputs to the mixing masternode.

and maybe add CCT into the mix to remove the need of uniform denominations (this will reduce the bloat radically).

With the "decentralized blockchain governance" funding system coming there will be a hefty amount of dev funding available to implement improvements.

EDIT: and sorry again about posting OT in a Monero thread.
generalizethis (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2015, 09:56:52 PM

Start by rereading it. You missed some things, but I expect selective reading/hearing from dashers. Also, 95% of the nodes are in 5 countries (all allies) and on hosting services and there aren't 2,800 active nodes--last time i checked it was around 1,200. given pedos are mining dash (allegedly) it wouldn't be hard to imagine those countries working together to stop and prosecute by using subpoenas or coercion to hosting companies or the mn operators themselves.

Last I checked there are 2,866 ACTIVE MasterNodes. 1,200 was roughly 1 year ago.  You are obviously way behind.  I suggest you start by reading the open source code or the PDFs or something.

Your concerns are real.  I'm sure that the US and it's allies are planning this takeover while we type.  Jesus, this is the best you've got?

Meanwhile, I'm sure you all have been waiting for the reply to my PM.  Here it is:

lol wut

this is satoshi's prof

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=3

Isn't it nice to know that you have a higher reputation than Satoshi? You'd think he'd would get a founder rep or something?  Huh

oaxaca

Activity: 671
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 09:58:19 PM

It was less than two months ago when I did my research: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1077613.0 There are 1,800 active listed, but if you check the dates of the last transaction, you can see many are from months ago--before there was a list of holdings (1000+ meant active, but most weren't --more than half if I remember correctly), but now that and the hosting company's name is cut off--I'd like to think it was a reaction to my research--you don't want the suckers knowing too much about the going-ons.  

I do like how you create a fake satoshi reply, dismiss the attack vector without any analysis, and misrepresent the real number of active nodes, but I don't expect research or formal arguments from dashers. If you don't think law enforcement would coerce or subpoena mn operators (you'd only need Evan or Otoh for million dash) or hosting companies to comply in orderto break up a pedophile-mining ring or a drug syndicate or human trafficking operation, then you haven't been paying attention with how well LEAs orchestrate international sting operations--though again, they would only need one or two whales and they'd have enough to undermine anonymity and it could be done by one domestic agency.

It's an attack vector and it won't disappear until you get rid of masternodes or find a better way for them to create anonymity.

1.  "misrepresent the real number of active nodes"?

Distribution of 2866 (with 2616 unique IPs)
Dash Masternodes
(Summary by Country, unique IPs only)
Last check: Mon Jul 20 23:30:31 CEST 2015 V2
Client version: 110223

2.  Let me get this straight...

Your interpretation of "snake oil" is an extremely far fetched attack vector?  You want to DDOS 2,866 servers worldwide for an extended period of time without anybody noticing?  You should be aware that there are no coins stored on these nodes.  If a server goes down, it can be recreated on a different server (anywhere in the world) in a matter of minutes.

3.  Faking Satoshi PMs.

Guilty.  Whatever.
oaxaca

Activity: 671
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 10:00:22 PM

Isn't it nice to know that you have a higher reputation than Satoshi? You'd think he'd would get a founder rep or something?  Huh

Maybe trolls like those in this thread keep downvoting him.
Macrochip

Activity: 465
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2015, 10:05:33 PM

Once Masternode blinding is released Mr MoneroRunner here will have nothing left to ramble about just like IceTroller had nothing left after Evan removed the reference node. So it's a waste of time. They'll both just revert to Insta-trolling and we're back at status quo.

generalizethis (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2015, 10:12:42 PM

It was less than two months ago when I did my research: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1077613.0 There are 1,800 active listed, but if you check the dates of the last transaction, you can see many are from months ago--before there was a list of holdings (1000+ meant active, but most weren't --more than half if I remember correctly), but now that and the hosting company's name is cut off--I'd like to think it was a reaction to my research--you don't want the suckers knowing too much about the going-ons.  

I do like how you create a fake satoshi reply, dismiss the attack vector without any analysis, and misrepresent the real number of active nodes, but I don't expect research or formal arguments from dashers. If you don't think law enforcement would coerce or subpoena mn operators (you'd only need Evan or Otoh for million dash) or hosting companies to comply in orderto break up a pedophile-mining ring or a drug syndicate or human trafficking operation, then you haven't been paying attention with how well LEAs orchestrate international sting operations--though again, they would only need one or two whales and they'd have enough to undermine anonymity and it could be done by one domestic agency.

1.  "misrepresent the real number of active nodes"?

Distribution of 2866 (with 2616 unique IPs)
Dash Masternodes
(Summary by Country, unique IPs only)
Last check: Mon Jul 20 23:30:31 CEST 2015 V2
Client version: 110223

2.  Let me get this straight...

Your interpretation of "snake oil" is an extremely far fetched attack vector?  You want to DDOS 2,866 servers worldwide for an extended period of time without anybody noticing?  You should be aware that there are no coins stored on these nodes.  If a server goes down, it can be recreated on a different server (anywhere in the world) in a matter of minutes.

3.  Faking Satoshi PMs.

Guilty.  Whatever.

That's how I feel about your counter argument--if you are too lazy to even get Satoshi's details right, why should I expect you to take the time to research your counter-arguments. Here's the link to dashnodes:

https://dashnodes.com/index/masternodes/page=34&offset=1650

It lists 1,800 nodes, but many haven't had a transaction in weeks or months--so are these active? Or is the network just that slow? Or is the site broken? I'd love a site where I can research the hosting companies again  Wink

See above for the bolded part for the attack vector you keep conveniently missing.  Grin

I'm going to bed, but I hope you have fixed dash's anonymity with a fake letter from GMaxwell by the time I wake. Or maybe you can make a noob account for PaterTod and get a recantation. Good stuff. Can't script this.

Macrochip

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2015, 10:18:53 PM

^Isn't it funny how he accuses people of being "selective" when he explicitly chooses the one only broken Masternode-counting site?

Try these kiddo:
https://dashninja.pl/
https://dash-stats.firebaseapp.com/

First calculates ACTIVE Masternodes in real time from what I can tell.
Second one updates every couple minutes.
And yeah: Both show almost 2900 full nodes strengthening our network.
Go on, DDoS them all. I'll make some popcorn.
Oh and don't forget: Once they're blinded all your attempts to "control the traffic" will run down the shitter (even though the chances to do that right now are already infinitesimally small).

generalizethis (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2015, 10:23:48 PM

^Isn't it funny how he accuses people of being "selective" when he explicitly chooses the one only broken Masternode-counting site?

Try these kiddo:

^Funny how you missed the other attack vector, but thanks for links; I'll check to see how many are actually active and how centralized they are by country this weekend--maybe even get a fix on all the ones that are using hosting companies again. Again, thanks. Also, is partially active, active? Seems like a half-phrase.

Lukas_Jackson

Activity: 615
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 10:35:43 PM

Try these kiddo:

^Funny how you missed the other attack vector, but thanks for links; I'll check to see how many are actually active and how centralized they are by country this weekend--maybe even get a fix on all the ones that are using hosting companies again. Again, thanks. Also, is partially active, active? Seems like a half-phrase.

Oh look, there is only one entity holding all masternodes in one country and on one server

http://dashnodes.com/index/charts/
http://178.254.18.153/~pub/Dash/masternode_locations.html

You seem to be concerned about it. Do you want to invest or...nevermind...whatever

It is easier to be an aggressive victim than to be a free man.
Macrochip

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2015, 10:36:19 PM

Try these kiddo:

There it is again your favorite word: centralized
You know what? I don't like you: You're centralized. You are just one person. You have only one liver, one heart and one throat. All centralized points of failure. Oh wait, this is retarded. Sorry. I just wanted to apply the word centralized to the most moronic example I could find. Kinda like you.

"Centralized by country" is such an incredibly dumb thing to say I can't even fathom how anyone can make it up.
Bitcoin is centralized on only one planet, so I guess we're all fucked (except the Cryptonote crowd ofc, you're all above us in the stars).
Masternodes are "centralized" because they're umm... they're oh I dunnow... You have to use them for mixing, so it's centralized, durr!
Yep, convincing logic. I guess Bitcoin is centralized too then in that respect because -god damnit- you have to use other nodes to make a transaction. FFS is anything decentralized these days?

By the way: No I did not miss your "other attack vector". To the contrary. I wiped it away, you must have missed it. Maybe read a little on what Masternode blinding actually achieves and you might realize your entire rambling came a few months too late. If Monero could speak it would probably reply "Story of my life" to that.

XMRChina

Activity: 122
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 10:37:58 PM

Once Masternode blinding is released Mr MoneroRunner here will have nothing left to ramble about just like IceTroller had nothing left after Evan removed the reference node. So it's a waste of time. They'll both just revert to Insta-trolling and we're back at status quo.

source code for instantx needs to be fixed before masternode blinding.

Instantx is not a secure system  from a cryptographic standpoint
generalizethis (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2015, 10:43:50 PM

Also, as long as humans can be subpoenaed or coerced by law enforcement, you can gain enough network to break anonymity. Otoh probably owns a million dash and Evan probably owns a million dash--LE would only need their compliance to have 2000+ masternodes--that's why centralization and instamines and masternodes make a terrible mix.  

XMRChina

Activity: 122

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 10:53:47 PM

Also, as long as humans can be subpoenaed or coerced by law enforcement, you can gain enough network to break anonymity. Otoh probably owns a million dash and Evan probably owns a million dash--LE would only need their compliance to have 2000+ masternodes--that's why centralization and instamines and masternodes make a terrible mix.  

Great point. If 2 people control that large a percentage of the Masternode network nobody using darksend has any real privacy protection
cocales

Activity: 148

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 10:56:04 PM

People note of advice. Hold your Dash or buy more.

SnowGem.org - Improve upon great ideas of other cryptocurrencies
✔ Privacy ✔ Availability ✔ Profitability ✔ Longevity
Equihash - No Premine - No ICO - Masternodes soon
illodin

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 10:58:21 PM

woah.. looks like I'm gonna need your opinion instead of Peter Todd's on whether to wipe standing or sitting.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2015, 12:49:15 AM

No, "centralized" is Duffield's favorite word.

That's why he acts like Dash's central banker, after extensive research and analysis in the form of talking to some guy who happened to be around.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 01:00:03 AM

That's why he acts like Dash's central banker, after extensive research and analysis in the form of talking to some guy who happened to be around.

Nope, not anything like a HYIP. Not in any way whatsoever:

i have to admit i really like these exspected interest rates. Its way better then what we can exspect from savings with banks these days where they either only give 1% or even force -1 % interest rates. Dash's masternode payment system has replaced bank savings completely for me personally.

If i use bank saving nowadays its to have something set aside for emergencies (car repairs, holiday money etc) but not for the purpose of seeing it grow through interest rates, i will use Dash for that.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2015, 01:04:10 AM

Nope, not anything like a HYIP. Not in any way whatsoever:

i have to admit i really like these exspected interest rates. Its way better then what we can exspect from savings with banks these days where they either only give 1% or even force -1 % interest rates. Dash's masternode payment system has replaced bank savings completely for me personally.

If i use bank saving nowadays its to have something set aside for emergencies (car repairs, holiday money etc) but not for the purpose of seeing it grow through interest rates, i will use Dash for that.

OMG, what a fucking shill.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Lebubar
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 01:20:15 AM
Last edit: July 21, 2015, 01:31:34 AM by Lebubar

Ok another useless thread created by Trolleros...

Lol.

Next!

Edit : How to make an empty thread from an empty Tweet? Only Trolleros can make it possible!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: