Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 11:18:27 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Already delays in BFL shipment plans?  (Read 49500 times)
dunand

Activity: 637
Merit: 502

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 03:16:16 AM

I drive around 80 FPGAs from a Rasp Pi, you need to do this (bridge polyfuses and add low ESR[ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equivalent_series_resistance] cap to /Vdd - Vss/ output USB port [nichicon/os-con]:
http://theiopage.blogspot.nl/)
Since I did that hack everything went smooth and cool, before it was a nightmare.

What version of RPI do you have?
beekeeper

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

LTC

View Profile WWW
November 25, 2012, 03:20:27 AM

What version of RPI do you have?

256 Mb RAM one, first available on preorder, the most crappy one.

25Khs at 5W Litecoin USB dongle (FPGA), 45kHs overclocked
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=310926
Litecoin FPGA shop -> http://ltcgear.com
PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 04:57:57 AM

i thought power use doesn't scale linearly like that?

It shouldn't as far as I know. But BFL has stated 1 watt per GH. So there you go? (??)
bitboyben

Activity: 330

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 05:04:48 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong but based on the bitcoin magazine article the BFL hardware is running 500Mhz at 60 Ghash. I've already been planing on 80-90Ghash once the firmware and improved cooling comes in to play. As for life expectancy it only has to take me to the next gen which BFL will hopefully have an upgrade program.

Thanks for he RPi links I just got mine. Now if I only had an ASIC...

Why did I sell at $5! Come back to me my old bitcoin! 1GjeBGS4KrxKAeEVt8d1fTnuKgpKpMmL6S
If you don't like the price of BTC come back in 8 hours.
CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 05:23:16 AM

Anyone else getting a refund? I'm getting mine next week if they don't match or beat Tom's offerings.
PuertoLibre
Legendary

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 05:26:18 AM
Last edit: November 25, 2012, 05:47:44 AM by PuertoLibre

Correct me if I'm wrong but based on the bitcoin magazine article the BFL hardware is running 500Mhz at 60 Ghash. I've already been planing on 80-90Ghash once the firmware and improved cooling comes in to play. As for life expectancy it only has to take me to the next gen which BFL will hopefully have an upgrade program.
Well, sorta true. But one would hope it would take you up to your investment capital being recovered and then some profit before Gen 2.

Edit: In pragmatic sense, the purpose of the profit should be to generate enough profit to cover the A) cost of Gen 1 B) cover the cost of a Gen 2 device and then C) a significant extra to gain some material benefit of some kind. Otherwise your profits just end up going into your vendors pocket in a sort of flowing pyramid scheme. You always have to walk away with some kind of real material benefit besides being able to buy each successive generation.

But lets say Gen 2 comes along and they do indeed offer an exchange program. What should be the price of Gen 2?

2000 USD or more? (Keep in mind customers of BFL hardware do not want any price cuts while they attempt to recover the cost of their units.)

What should happen to the price of Gen 1 at the intro of Gen 2?
What is the trade in value for a [used] Gen 1 module? (How much of the original price is respected? 400$ for a Single SC? 1299$? 800$? What about for a Jally? 25$? 75$? 150?

---------------------------

And finally, what should BFL sell a 60Gh/s system for 10 months down the road when it produces (or is worth) alot less in terms of income?

Right now, a 60Gh/s system is supposed to make a ton of BTC/cash. Well according to some (it's possible). Though, what would BFL sell it at when difficulty is high and a 60Gh/s is no longer bringing in the volume of BTC/Cash?

Doesn't the price of a product normally go down in such scenarios?

If so, then what is the trade-in value vs the cost of a Gen 2 system?
10%?
40%?
100%?

---------------------

Should a Gen 2 system cost alot more than a Gen 1?
Should there be a price freeze on a Gen 1 unit until people can sell them off (or just recover their costs)?
There are tons of questions I can think up. None of them are too convenient for both the buyer or the vendor.

Perhaps it is time to headlock a vendor employee  of your choice and get them to give you a written agreement that the device will be price protected at trade in. Otherwise you might get pennies on the dollar for that trade-in.

If Nothing is written, then there is no legal binding agreement. (Make sure an employee is authorized to make such a deal of behalf of their Vendor. So that there is a Vendor Level Agreement and not just an Emloyee agreement whom can be fired at any point.)

If the employee backs out or becomes evasive, then you know what you are actually getting promised in that trade-in. Wink
bitboyben

Activity: 330

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 05:29:53 AM

Historically fpga to asics upgrades assume same.
price points are  price points.

Why did I sell at $5! Come back to me my old bitcoin! 1GjeBGS4KrxKAeEVt8d1fTnuKgpKpMmL6S
If you don't like the price of BTC come back in 8 hours.
PuertoLibre
Legendary

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 05:35:13 AM

Explain?
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 07:36:15 AM

Explain?

I traded my BFL FPGA Single in for $599 on a 60gh ASIC Single,then just paid the difference of $1299=$700  Grin

BFL did say they would do trade in's on first gen ASIC's to second gen ASIC's,whether it's the same deal as the FPGA's wasn't laid out,but I'm assuming it is.

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
PuertoLibre
Legendary

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 08:22:35 AM

price points are  price points.
Explain?

I traded my BFL FPGA Single in for $599 on a 60gh ASIC Single,then just paid the difference of $1299=$700  Grin

BFL did say they would do trade in's on first gen ASIC's to second gen ASIC's,whether it's the same deal as the FPGA's wasn't laid out,but I'm assuming it is.
Just make sure you get them to say "specifically" what they will offer you in writing and you are good to go. (Always cover your bases as the saying goes.)

An FPGA can be re-purposed so it has value. A first Gen ASIC is kinda of a paperweight after its life cycle. (Unless the Smithsonian wants a batch of them for their museum? (theme, the first successful cryptocurrency?)
creativex

Activity: 434

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 08:48:44 AM

I imagine peeps with zero electricity costs would be very interested in your discounted, outdated, and no longer competitive ASIC v1.0.

PuertoLibre
Legendary

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 08:58:14 AM

I imagine peeps with zero electricity costs would be very interested in your discounted, outdated, and no longer competitive ASIC v1.0.
Well you might be able to run a jally from this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x9tnqPiHoE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzwz94oOZfg

Though for a Single SC you would need a line vamp. (I forget what the official name for those devices are called.)
Starlightbreaker
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1006

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 09:02:44 AM

i thought power use doesn't scale linearly like that?

It shouldn't as far as I know. But BFL has stated 1 watt per GH. So there you go? (??)

maybe 1 watt/GH at a certain GH/s point.

i dunno, it doesn't make sense.

poon-TANG

Activity: 150
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 04:58:41 PM

Well you might be able to run a jally from this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x9tnqPiHoE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzwz94oOZfg

Though for a Single SC you would need a line vamp. (I forget what the official name for those devices are called.)

You might get the voltage but the current might be in the miliamps
squeept

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 26, 2012, 04:56:00 PM

Anddddd....bASIC announces delays. Can we get 40,000 threads accusing them of lying to their customers now?

Oh, and I noticed some threads deleted on BCT in the last few days. No mention of how these forums are in China?

Got it, only BFL does wrong. Don't forget to use the word "asshamster" as you continually fixate on one company.

I'm just going to keep repeating "it's an Altera HardCopy" because I haven't the slightest clue what I'm talking about.
Morblias

Activity: 576
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 26, 2012, 05:03:52 PM

Anddddd....bASIC announces delays. Can we get 40,000 threads accusing them of lying to their customers now?

Oh, and I noticed some threads deleted on BCT in the last few days. No mention of how these forums are in China?

Got it, only BFL does wrong. Don't forget to use the word "asshamster" as you continually fixate on one company.

Just going to throw this out there:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=79637.msg1157524#msg1157524
bASIC Mining boards are projected to ship in November/December of 2012

This was from when Tom originally announced it, almost 3 months ago. I'd say he is still on track as promised.

Tips / Donations accepted: 1Morb18DsDHNEv6TeQXBdba872ZSpiK9fY
fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072

View Profile
November 26, 2012, 05:55:04 PM

I cannot even find a link saying this is the case.
Didn't he lock his own thread and created a new forum?

Need more details please.
Morblias

Activity: 576
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 26, 2012, 06:14:37 PM

https://www.btcfpga.com/forum/index.php?topic=114.0

Hello Customers and Friends,

As it is already obvious to everyone, shipping will not begin today as originally planned. Tomorrow I have a meeting with the engineering and layout team and I will give a definitive date of when shipping will begin. I am ready to cancel as many orders and offer refunds to whoever needs them - just send an email with the request to dave@bitcoinasic.net and he will forward them on to me. All refunds requested today will be processed today. Although I caution you, we WILL be shipping these units, its just a matter of time and likely will be very soon. Our competition has already given several delays so I just please ask that you give me one day to meet with my team and figure out a realistic new shipping date and if you are not happy with that or if you are ready for a refund now please request it and it will be processed immediately.

thank you

Tom

(I will be available for calls and IRC in a little while)

More info most likely tomorrow after Tom meets with the engineers and layout team.

Tips / Donations accepted: 1Morb18DsDHNEv6TeQXBdba872ZSpiK9fY
fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072

View Profile
November 26, 2012, 06:23:58 PM

https://www.btcfpga.com/forum/index.php?topic=114.0

Hello Customers and Friends,

As it is already obvious to everyone, shipping will not begin today as originally planned. Tomorrow I have a meeting with the engineering and layout team and I will give a definitive date of when shipping will begin. I am ready to cancel as many orders and offer refunds to whoever needs them - just send an email with the request to dave@bitcoinasic.net and he will forward them on to me. All refunds requested today will be processed today. Although I caution you, we WILL be shipping these units, its just a matter of time and likely will be very soon. Our competition has already given several delays so I just please ask that you give me one day to meet with my team and figure out a realistic new shipping date and if you are not happy with that or if you are ready for a refund now please request it and it will be processed immediately.

thank you

Tom

(I will be available for calls and IRC in a little while)

More info most likely tomorrow after Tom meets with the engineers and layout team.

The obviously knew the shipping date was bad before the announcement and they waited until the
very last moment to say so. How they will or will not be flamed depends on further info that needs
to come out in 48 hours. Otherwise...  pfft. No different then BFL.

And by no different I mean if they say Dec/Jan. Then we get into Dec and they say end of Jan.
Then...

That is what I mean by no different then BFL and the upcoming info will determine if they are on the same path.
abeaulieu

Activity: 295

View Profile
November 26, 2012, 07:20:51 PM

This was from when Tom originally announced it, almost 3 months ago. I'd say he is still on track as promised.

He is quite plainly not on track if he himself announced a delay.

Seems to be par for the ASIC course. Maybe Avalon delays will be next.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 »
  Print  

Jump to: