Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 04:34:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How good is trezzor wallet  (Read 4211 times)
gambit1 (OP)

Activity: 980
Merit: 508

View Profile
July 19, 2015, 10:47:54 AM

Any thoughts? I want to store by BTC safely and securely offline. Anybody got any experience of using trezzor for that? Positives and negatives?
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2015, 10:51:12 AM

i only heard pos things about it.

there are other hardware wallets too:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=899253.0

in any case i would recommend to split your funds. 30% hardware wallet; 30% paper wallet....

Slark
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1004

View Profile
July 19, 2015, 10:53:26 AM

It depends if you are rich enough and owns a lot of coins you want to put in Trezzor. Currently Trezor hardware wallet cost something like $120 and I've seen people who keep less than $100 value of bitcoin on their hardware wallet that is huge waste imo. If you want to keep more than dozen Bitcoins there its is fine if you buy one. You could, however, be safe enough without spending a penny on hardware wallet. Your choice.
innocent93
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 19, 2015, 11:45:52 AM

I found it a little bit difficult at first, but it is a very secure way to use and store your Bitcoin. As Slark says it is only worthwhile if you have quite a bit of value in Bitcoin.
bornil267645

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

AltoCenter.com

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2015, 01:24:34 PM

Positives:

TREZOR is an offline Bitcoin wallet. It holds your private keys and know how to sign a transaction without the need to connect to the internet. Trezor seems to give you the best of both worlds as it acts as a highly secured cold storage (i.e. offline) device but still allows you flexibility when wanting to spend your coins. The device is pretty small and you can carry it around on your Keychain or even in your pocket. So you can store your Bitcoins offline on TREZOR and whenever you want to spend them just connect your TREZOR device to any computer and you can spend them. TREZOR uses a limited USB connection – just like your computer mouse or keyboard. A mouse tells the computer where it is, but the computer cannot move the mouse. So only Bitcoin transactions can go from the computer to Trezor and back. This is why even compromised and infected computers can be used with TREZOR safely.

Negatives:

None that outweighs the positives. Cheesy

Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
July 19, 2015, 03:23:12 PM
Last edit: July 19, 2015, 07:01:45 PM by Amph

besides this vulnerability, http://johoe.mooo.com/trezor-power-analysis/, which was fixed quickly you can say that it's relatively safe, no one know if in the future another hole like that will happen again...

remember that besides the vernam cipher nothing is 100% safe
ransomer

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 19, 2015, 04:05:20 PM

Vulnerabilities have kept showing up for it. Let's be honest, it's not safe. But it's probably better than some of the other options.
AGD
Legendary

Activity: 2069
Merit: 1164

Keeper of the Private Key

View Profile
July 19, 2015, 04:09:45 PM

Never heard of Trezzor ...

Bitcoin is not a bubble, it's the pin!
+++ GPG Public key FFBD756C24B54962E6A772EA1C680D74DB714D40 +++ http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x1C680D74DB714D40
Wonka

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 19, 2015, 04:25:35 PM

Any thoughts? I want to store by BTC safely and securely offline. Anybody got any experience of using trezzor for that? Positives and negatives?

I think they're over-rated personally. If you just keep your coins offline and use a secure computer that's all you need. Just make sure you've got a back up or two and you should be fine.
OROBTC
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1852

View Profile
July 19, 2015, 04:45:11 PM

I have both a Trezor and a Ledger Nano (bought both some 8 months ago).  I am happy with both.  I have used both of them over 15 times each, and I cannot detect any problems with either.

The Ledger costs less.

I have not upgraded the firmware with either device.  Also, there may be new versions of the Trezor as well as Ledger Nano, I may buy another Nano to see (as well as have some BTC in yet another device hidden elsewhere).
Possum577

Activity: 434

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2015, 04:47:19 PM

Negatives:
  • The wallet is very small, therefore easy to mis-place, lose, or have stolen if left around
  • It's electronic, so it is vulnerable to a battery wearing out or exposure to water and other elements

If stolen, can it be cracked or are the balances lost forever (if the owner doesn't have the private key held elsewhere)?

dothebeats
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1353

CoinPoker.com

View Profile
July 19, 2015, 05:33:16 PM

Personally, I think Trezor wallets are the "bang for the buck" when it comes to hardware wallets. I never have one, but the reviews I've seen is sufficient enough for me to tell that this hardware wallet is indeed very good to have. But in any case. an offline machine is also a great way to keep your coins in a cold storage, though it does not offer mobility compared to a Trezor wallet.

Xialla
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

/dev/null

View Profile
July 19, 2015, 05:45:07 PM

if you want store something for long-term (years), securely and offline, go with bunch of paper wallets generated and distribute them to multiple locations.

Trezor is more or less for somebody, who is actively using bitcoin and needs another (hardware) layer of security..I'm just too conservative to use some "small USB gadget" for more than 100USD, if I can use paper + for Trezor backup you need to store paper with recovery seed anyway...
tl121

Activity: 278
Merit: 252

View Profile
July 19, 2015, 06:42:38 PM

based this vulnerability, http://johoe.mooo.com/trezor-power-analysis/, which was fixed quickly you can say that it's relatively safe, no one know if in the future another hole like that will happen again...

Even if the logic and mathematics are perfect and the op-sec is good, there can still be implementation details that allow side channel attacks, such as the Trezor power issue. In practice, the Vernam cipher is not 100% safe.

This article from NSA is interesting. https://www.nsa.gov/public_info/_files/cryptologic_spectrum/tempest.pdf

Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
July 19, 2015, 07:10:35 PM

based this vulnerability, http://johoe.mooo.com/trezor-power-analysis/, which was fixed quickly you can say that it's relatively safe, no one know if in the future another hole like that will happen again...

Even if the logic and mathematics are perfect and the op-sec is good, there can still be implementation details that allow side channel attacks, such as the Trezor power issue. In practice, the Vernam cipher is not 100% safe.

This article from NSA is interesting. https://www.nsa.gov/public_info/_files/cryptologic_spectrum/tempest.pdf

vernam cipher is not 100% safe in practice, not because there is an hole in the cipher or something, but because of the messenger

it's like you have x+18 =y(where 18 is the ciphertext and y is the key that you don't know) how can you solve this? it's impossible without knowing at least the key(y), because x and y could have multiple value

if the messenger of the y is caught and y stolen then yes you can decrypt it, but as i said above it's not because the vernam cipher isn't 100% secure
Somekindabitcoin

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 19, 2015, 09:18:01 PM

I think it's something like paperwallet. I would recommend it to you, I will buy it later. I hope it won't be waste.
ammy009

Activity: 303

View Profile WWW
July 19, 2015, 09:48:42 PM

If you want to store BTC safely and securely offline then why don't you use Electrum ? It's great to operate cold wallet with Electrum  Cheesy

subwoofer12

Activity: 251
Merit: 253

View Profile
July 19, 2015, 09:58:59 PM

it is vulnerable to a battery wearing out

Do you even own one? They don't have batteries...

LMAO  Cheesy
Somekindabitcoin

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 19, 2015, 10:04:08 PM

it is vulnerable to a battery wearing out

Do you even own one? They don't have batteries...

LMAO  Cheesy

How does it work? I think it comes with a display, so.. ?
subwoofer12

Activity: 251
Merit: 253

View Profile
July 19, 2015, 10:10:51 PM

How does it work? I think it comes with a display, so.. ?

See this page for more info

In order to limit the attack surface against the TREZOR, TREZOR communicates solely through a simple USB protocol. There is no WiFi or Bluetooth, no camera for scanning QR-codes. There’s not even a fingerprint reader for identifying the user. This is all because we want the TREZOR to be as secure as possible. The fewer devices the TREZOR talks to, and the simpler its communication protocol is, the less likely it is to get infected.

The TREZOR also has no battery. When its unplugged its off and your bitcoins are safe from cyber attack.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: