Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 01:42:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Dear FBI, CIA, NSA, and SEC authorities on bitcointalk.org...  (Read 9211 times)
sippsnapp

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 07:19:30 PM

The only thing i would expect in this area is some sort of provocation to members who are investigated for any reason to reveal more personal information which could lead to a real identity.
There is no reason for any autorithy to give a statements or comment on anything in here, the only comment id expect is another fbi report on the current state of bitcoin as the last report.

Πάντα ῥεῖ
Bitcoin + Altcoin node pool setup - pm

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ShireSilver

Activity: 382
Merit: 253

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2012, 08:37:37 PM

... so we are playing spot the spook now?

I thought there were laws that public officials acting in official capacity have to make themselves known when asked ... or is it just a crypto-police state, not a real one?

The idea that an officer or other public official must identify themself if asked is a myth propagated by undercover cops.

At least here in the U.S. cops are allowed to lie to you. That's pretty well known.

As far as "spot the fed", a few years ago at PorcFest there was a guy that just didn't seem to fit in and a few of the folks decided he must be a fed. He got followed around and it seemed to me to be blown out of proportion. The next year there were people walking around with t-shirts that said "I'm a fed" on the front and "Don't you wish it was that easy?" on the back.

One friend of mine suggested that if they really wanted to infiltrate a group like that (largely male and geeky) the best thing to do would be to send in a young female.

Shire Silver, a better bullion that fits in your wallet. Get some, now accepting bitcoin!
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 08:57:50 PM

Who says they have to be a fed at all?

A lot of electronic intelligence action happens at private contractors, I wager.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
goodlord666

Activity: 434

100%

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 08:59:06 PM

One friend of mine suggested that if they really wanted to infiltrate a group like that (largely male and geeky) the best thing to do would be to send in a young female.

The only female here that ever got my attention was the one that showed her vagina to everyone willing enough to send her bitcoins. if government agents were to run tactics like that, I'd consider them part of the movement rather than infiltrators.

paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2012, 08:59:56 PM

Who you gonna call... ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9We2XsVZfc

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 09:53:38 PM

A lot of electronic intelligence action happens at private contractors, I wager.

like Dunvegan Space Systems for example?

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 01:59:23 AM

Full disclosure: cbeast is my codename at the DoD - Department of Defiance.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
sgravina

Activity: 451

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 02:05:59 AM

I'm a snitch and will talk just for the attention.   I'll tell you anything.  Except how bitcoins work, I don't really understand that.

Disclaimer: I don't know much at all so most of my information is made up.
oldschool

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 02:08:53 AM

NSA was hiring at defcon.... not contract but full salary.

They prefer to keep intelligence inhouse, however they do outsource pentesting on their own network.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 02:18:48 AM

The best (most effective) pentesting gets done for "free" of course.

Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2012, 02:32:32 AM

NSA agents are required to sign an agreement to let the government tap their phone as a condition of employment

haha, poor guys. Unlike the rest of us who could never be wiretapped without a warrent...  Roll Eyes

Just get a second phone   Roll Eyes

oldschool

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 02:40:28 AM

Not when it comes to three letter government agencies.  Anyone with the skill to pentest them wouldn't be risking the trouble it could bring when they could contact the organizations and get paid a lot of money to do it with permission.
thebaron

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 02:45:58 AM

NSA agents are required to sign an agreement to let the government tap their phone as a condition of employment

haha, poor guys. Unlike the rest of us who could never be wiretapped without a warrent...  Roll Eyes

That was my exact thought. Why would they even need to ask...
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 02:48:03 AM

Not when it comes to three letter government agencies.  Anyone with the skill to pentest them wouldn't be risking the trouble it could bring when they could contact the organizations and get paid a lot of money to do it with permission.

... you mean those TLAs that 'always' ask for permission before sticking their code into other people's boxes? Do they pay in btc I wonder?

Good for the goose is good for the gander.

oldschool

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 02:59:40 AM

... you mean those TLAs that 'always' ask for permission before sticking their code into other people's boxes? Do they pay in btc I wonder?

Good for the goose is good for the gander.

They print their own money, why would they ever pay in another currency?
goodlord666

100%

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 11:06:03 AM

Just kidding, the U.S gov anyway has very little interest in Bitcoins or your play money scams. The people who are saying OH NO! The $10,000 drug market is going to ruin BTC! Eh, no. Why chase people back and forth and waste the energy and resources, when we could just sit at the U.S boarders, and snag over $60 Million in drugs per day?

You are wrong. If it's true that SilkRoad holds some half million in BTC and Bitcoin were to gain traction and take off publicly they'd be holding a significant portion of the global capital available. And that would eventually make them one of the most powerful entities in the world.
I think it's naive to believe the government has no real interest in Bitcoin, they are no stupider than me or some other folks who saw the true potential in the very beginning. My guess is they're either in high alert mode and have been for a long time (only you don't really see or hear any of it) or they are shitting bricks. Or both.

Or they're joining in on the business.

Being a government employee like you say doesn't mean you know what the government is really doing. After all, you're just an employee.

wksantiago

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 02:58:59 PM

Be wise they should join the business as an additional tool for all Grin!

If my posts has been helpful, thank me here:
BTC: bc1qp0xtvck64qhvg6man0fjgy2jl3l6vwkctngjc4
Bitrated user: wksantiago.
(PGP Fingerprint: 2199 0685 3d0f 29eb f0aa 40a5 1cd9 d426 66ae a802)
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 04:02:27 PM

I have had to sign NDA's for secure work involving the military. I can't tell you what for, but I can say that not every secret is sexy. Whoever really buys toilet paper at Langley would get canned for saying what brand they use, even though no one cares.
It was put to me this way: The new paradigm is; "I could tell you, but I would have to sue you."

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
oldschool

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 04:24:40 PM

I have had to sign NDA's for secure work involving the military. I can't tell you what for, but I can say that not every secret is sexy. Whoever really buys toilet paper at Langley would get canned for saying what brand they use, even though no one cares.
It was put to me this way: The new paradigm is; "I could tell you, but I would have to sue you."

Not all companies will make you sign NDAs like the government, but most will have policies in place barring employee's from disclosing such information.  One big reason for this is social engineering.  Once you've gained enough information about an organization, even if it seems like it is insignificant, this can be used to gain more information from employees and managers.  Simply calling up and pretending to be a janitorial supply company verifying an "order" or other information, you can gather email address', usernames, staffing times, the possibilities are limitless, then you call later from another "company" if need be to gather further information.
LightRider
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021

I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2012, 07:59:24 AM

Gavin Andreesen is a CIA operative/extra-terrestrial and he posts on the forums all the time.

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
Visit www.thevenusproject.com and www.theZeitgeistMovement.com.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: