Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 08:12:39 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Brainwallet  (Read 1441 times)
spazzdla (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 08:18:21 PM

Everything I read suggests I use a random word generator...

Why is randomly picking words from a dictionary un advised?
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3273

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 08:24:41 PM

Well, that is what a random word generator does. Why do you think it is unadvised?

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 08:31:42 PM
Last edit: July 21, 2015, 07:49:22 PM by malevolent

The first and the second sentence are more or less the same thing (assuming the process of generating and picking are both actually random and it's not too short, e.g. 10 words from a set of 5k words is going to be more than enough)), but I'm going to have to assume we both have a different definition of "randomly picking words" - your method not having much to do with randomness.

The answer to your question is very simple - it is unadvised because >99% of people are going to be picking words non-randomly, oblivious to their biases.

Signature space available for rent.
jeannemadrigal2

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 10:12:38 PM

If you use a dictionary, make sure you don't end up using them in alphabetical order just because you started at the beginning Wink
harrymmmm

Activity: 576
Merit: 503

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 10:18:11 PM

If you use a dictionary, make sure you don't end up using them in alphabetical order just because you started at the beginning Wink

or mostly near the middle coz you think it's non-random to select the first or last pages

ayesha201006

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 10:37:51 PM

I don't understand why you would use a dictionary when there are perfectly good word generators?
spazzdla (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 10:46:11 PM

Well, that is what a random word generator does. Why do you think it is unadvised?

That's what I was thinking!! I chose a large one lol.
spazzdla (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 10:48:03 PM

The first and the second sentence are more or less the same thing (assuming the process or generating and picking are both actually random and it's not too short, e.g. 10 words from a set of 5k words is going to be more than enough)), but I'm going to have to assume we both have a different definition of "randomly picking words" - your method not having much to do with randomness.

The answer to your question is very simple - it is unadvised because >99% of people are going to be picking words non-randomly, oblivious to their biases.

It was the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Oxford_Dictionary , just flipped to random pages and chose from a location.
jbrnt

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 20, 2015, 10:59:51 PM

Because it does not have enough randomness. For one, there will be no numbers or symbols in dictionary words. It is like having a internet bank account protected by a short password consist of only alphabets.

Do not store large amount of coins on an address generated by brainwallet. It is easier to "guess" by hackers.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 03:17:47 AM

Because it does not have enough randomness. For one, there will be no numbers or symbols in dictionary words. It is like having a internet bank account protected by a short password consist of only alphabets.

Do not store large amount of coins on an address generated by brainwallet. It is easier to "guess" by hackers.

numbers or symbols not required.  picking random words from a dictionary is fine as long as you pick enough words.

Herbert2020
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1137

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 12:57:24 PM

if you pick them truly random then it is good , the thing that is not advised is using a phrase , or sentence because it can be guessed.

for example if you choose a catch phrase from a movie or something like that it can be in a dictionary used by a simple code to brute force the password and hack the private key.

Weak hands have been complaining about missing out ever since bitcoin was $1 and never buy the dip.
Whales are those who keep buying the dip.
findftp
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1006

Delusional crypto obsessionist

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 01:01:48 PM

numbers or symbols not required.  picking random words from a dictionary is fine as long as you pick enough words.

And use dice.
spazzdla (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 01:10:04 PM

if you pick them truly random then it is good , the thing that is not advised is using a phrase , or sentence because it can be guessed.

for example if you choose a catch phrase from a movie or something like that it can be in a dictionary used by a simple code to brute force the password and hack the private key.

sweet!!  No complete random, just going to random pages, no phases, the dictionary I used has over 200k words... LMAO!
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 04:59:15 PM

And use dice.

agree.
Dice would add more security as it would ensure the page flipping and word selection is not biased.

dothebeats
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 1353

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 05:05:40 PM

It is unadvised mainly because it lacks true randomness. It can easily be guessed by hackers if they want to, especially if it's a common phrase, a sentence, a quotation or any saying. Never ever store large amounts of bitcoins in a brainwallet because they are more prone to hacking compared to a traditional bitcoin wallet.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 05:22:29 PM

sweet!!  No complete random, just going to random pages, no phases, the dictionary I used has over 200k words... LMAO!

It is actually better to use a smaller dictionary and more words, because it will be easier to remember.
If you have some weird words you're not familiar with, you could have trouble recalling them later.
Just a consideration.

As far as how many words you need, its pretty simple.  You want 128-160 bits of entropy.
Less than 128, you're risking a potential brute force attack, and more than 160 is overkill
because there's only 2^160 addresses.

2^128 ~= 3.4 x 10^39
2^160 ~= 1.4 x 10^49

So you follow the formula X^Y > 2^128, where X is the number of words in your
dictionary and Y is the number of words in your phrase. 

For example, if you have 200,000 words, as you say, then you should use 8 words.
200,000^8 > 2^128.

If you have a dictionary with 5,000 words, you should use 11 words.

Next BillGates

Activity: 235
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 05:33:38 PM

probably you'll became an victim of 'dictionary attack' Tongue

manselr
Legendary

Activity: 868

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 05:46:13 PM

The point of a BRAIN wallet is that you could, under any circumstances recover the wallet as long as the passphrase to generate the seed is inside your brain. This means that, if your pass it too complex its useless because you will forget it, if its too predictable its useless because you will lose it against a brute force attack of some sort. Randomly generated words are a good intermediate.
spazzdla (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 07:25:52 PM

The point of a BRAIN wallet is that you could, under any circumstances recover the wallet as long as the passphrase to generate the seed is inside your brain. This means that, if your pass it too complex its useless because you will forget it, if its too predictable its useless because you will lose it against a brute force attack of some sort. Randomly generated words are a good intermediate.

Wouldn't adding ╚  and ╔ to the front and back insanely increase the brute force attack time frame?
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 07:37:41 PM

assuming each character is one of 128 possible ASCII characters,
then each one adds at most 7 bits of entropy if done in a random
manner.

adding specific characters in specific places that you mention
in a forum, less so.