Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 12:23:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Best wallet for cold storage  (Read 3751 times)
bitcoinmar

Activity: 812
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 07:43:56 PM

I am using Bitcoin Core Client for long time and never have any problem I feel its best and safest wallet for any one
Somekindabitcoin

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 08:00:07 PM

I am using Bitcoin Core Client for long time and never have any problem I feel its best and safest wallet for any one

Of course it's the safest wallet around here, because it's the ORIGINAL one! Tongue Also, I have to mention that it's not safe if your computer is likely infected with any type of malware, keylogger or anything like this. The safest "wallet" is probably TREZOR.
BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2015, 08:33:32 PM

Best hardware wallet should be Trezor, you can find it here: https://www.bitcointrezor.com/
Paper wallets are not as safe as you think, just do a small research and you will know Smiley

How aren't they as safe as you think? They are as safe as it gets IMO. Paper will never deteriorate if you cover it with plastic, and even if the wallet is found a password still needed, so I dont see the problem.

Paper as a paper can be safe, but you have to trust the thing that generated you the paper wallet you have and if it wasn't compromised right after the generation was done.

So what about offline use of bitaddress.org?  That should be 'safe' considering that the code have been verified independently.

paper wallet remain unsafe if you use a printer that have a cache and can memorize data, why people can't simply use a usb and a wallet.dat inside it, it's much simple and has the same security, you only need to do it on a secure machine, you can do a secure erase ato resolve this problem

Very true.  I like to use bitcoin core

I have had the official Bitcoin Core client hacked by a trojan accidentally downloaded. Password does not protect your private keys. That is why getting your private keys offline or at least secured in a hardware wallet like Trezor is good policy.

well that's your fault man, it is obvious that if you "give an easy access to your pc to an hacker" you're only asking for trouble

next time don't download anything that has not a digital sign, same goes for any link, problem is solved, i'm follow this simple rule and i never lost any coins on my hot wallet which is almost, always online

Can't say you were not warned. Anyone who leaves their wallet.dat on an online computer is liable to be hacked, just a matter of time. Does not matter how careful you are, we all make slips. The point is how easy it is now to prevent such loss using a bitcoin hardware wallet to store your private keys offline. Anyone can afford a Ledger Nano. My loss happened before I learned the value of cold storage and hope others take that point to heart. Prefer to use a smartphone? Trezor works a treat with the Mycelium wallet on Android.

funkenstein
Legendary

Activity: 1066
Merit: 1050

Khazad ai-menu!

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2015, 09:22:19 PM

While it may not seem like it, when you think about the practicality of it, it actually is very difficult. If you dont have over a $5000 safe say goodbye to it in any long term fire. You have to trust the software / machine its created on, not only that, but also when you redeem it.

Multiple locations solves the fire issue.  If you have still longer time fears, such as for example dying (it happens), you should probably go with a multi-sig fund with your family members of some sort.  The details there are beyond the scope of this thread.  There is one thing that you might argue requires trust, and it isn't key creation.  Key creation is picking a random number which is dead easy, use dice if you can't manage it.  The tricky part is going from privkey -> pubkey -> address so that you can fund the thing.  Personally I go with an offline verified and tested copy of e.g. bitaddress.org running on an offline box (use a rasp. pi e.g.) to do that.   Use the same setup to sign your TX for redemption.     

I like the idea of a trezor because while its backed up on a sheet of paper, that piece of paper is backed up by the trezor. Since the piece of paper holds backups to all wallets included any generated by a password .. if the paper gets compromised ... noone would know the passwords behind which ur funds are hidden by. Restore just the seed only and you have a 0 balance wallet restored.
If I had tens of thousands of BTC, Id feel much safe w/ it on a trezor + backup seed on paper(all wallets hidden behind passwords) rather than a single piece of paper holding the fortune and also happens to be a single failure point.
The alternative to a single cold storage piece of paper would be BIP38(I think) encrypting it w/ a decent password and putting multiple copies of that paper everywhere for redundancy.

I guess you said it already Smiley  Use AES or Twofish or whatever you like to encrypt your privkey if that's what you want to do, and yeah make sure you keep multiple copies around.  I never used the trezor but it looks nice as a high security spending wallet.  Can you put any master privkey in that you like I hope? 

Cheers  --  happy cryptoing --    ftd 

"Give me control over a coin's checkpoints and I care not who mines its blocks."
http://vtscc.org  http://woodcoin.info
funkenstein
Legendary

Activity: 1066
Merit: 1050

Khazad ai-menu!

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2015, 09:35:59 PM
Last edit: July 23, 2015, 09:49:58 PM by funkenstein

have you read what i've wrote after, how there can be an attack if you don't download anything and don't click anything on that machine? i'm not aware of any direct attack that work as a ddos or something that can steal your coins, without you allorw it...

also there is no way you can not allow a third party like you say to handle even for a small step your coins, because in the case of paper wallet you're doing so with the printer, which come probably from canon, epson or other known manufacturer

with usb is the same, they are made by someone else, unless you manage to make one your self, or do a whole pc yourself, i find this to be a stupid point, microsoft can't do anything on your windows machine, they can not control it, if that is your worry...

You are right to question the printer, especially with modern printers that are internet equipped.  I use an old one that isn't for printing privkeys, and check to make sure at every step it is doing what is expected of it.   One can also print encrypted keys even with compromised printers if so desired.   USB sticks are also attack vectors and can be used appropriately.  In theory they aren't needed but most people use them anyway, as risk can be kept minimal. 

What do you mean by "microsoft can't do anything on a windows machine"? Cheesy   If your machine is offline (in appropriate faraday cage) then you are right that whoever happens to be holding the MS keys can't do much in real time.  However, most winblowz boxes are online and communicating with the base updating your warez and reading your wallet.dat.  There is no excuse for continuing to wait in line there with the cattle for the slaughter.    

It's worth noting that this kind of security is totally unattainable with fiat, which is so broken on much lower levels that any of this would be a total waste of time.  

"Give me control over a coin's checkpoints and I care not who mines its blocks."
http://vtscc.org  http://woodcoin.info
notabeliever

Activity: 724
Merit: 504

View Profile
July 24, 2015, 03:08:31 PM

What would you say to people who live in North Carolina and New York who might have there isp block by the government because of the laws. I don't know what restriction are for them yet I want to think if I live in that state can I still store them and trade online indstead of mine.

Which one of the options still work, computer wallet, paper, trezor, etc.
madonnino

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

I ❤ www.LuckyB.it!

View Profile
July 24, 2015, 03:16:19 PM

among other alternive surely that is aesthetically better  a physical bitcoin, maybe a casascius or lealana coins. Hodl whit style  Cool
Mickeyb

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
July 24, 2015, 03:29:33 PM

What would you say to people who live in North Carolina and New York who might have there isp block by the government because of the laws. I don't know what restriction are for them yet I want to think if I live in that state can I still store them and trade online indstead of mine.

Well these people can always start using VPN or TOR and do all the things on internet without the limitation. Even newbies can learn how to hide their trails on the Internet and I don't believe governments will go after people that are using VPNs.
BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2015, 03:30:38 PM

Coinbase supports customers both in New York and North Carolina see https://support.coinbase.com/customer/portal/articles/1826671-what-countries-us-states-are-supported-for-coinbase-exchange-

What ISP block are you referring to? All options are available to bitcoin users in those states.

spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 24, 2015, 03:45:38 PM

IF
YOUR
WALLET
WAS
ENCRPYTED
IT
IS
NOT
SAFE.

Offline QT wallet is the best method.
ChrisStewart5

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 24, 2015, 11:09:13 PM

What ever the cold storage mechanism is you are still susceptible to losing whatever medium you stored your private key(s) on. You can use nLockTime transactions to mitigate this risk fortunately. You should create nLockTime transactions and store them on a cloud storage service to guarantee you will always be able to recover your bitcoins
money.investment

Activity: 62
Merit: 10

Micro Investment with Guaranteed Returns

View Profile WWW
July 25, 2015, 04:40:46 AM

Bitcoin Core is for sure. But it's hard to sync with the network. (You should copy and paste the newer blocks to the offline computer with an external hdd or flash drive).

People are not that rich to buy another computer to have their coins "offline"... it's easier to buy TREZOR!
It's just for like 0.4 BTC and it can help you a lot, it is smaller and more safe than an offline pc.

If you have some old smart phone then, you can use Bither on it, for cold wallet storage. It has ability receive unspent ouputs
/UTXO through QR code, sign  transactions offline, and send the signed transaction to a hot wallet via QR code.

Micro Investment with Guaranteed Returns  1DX26yvjEj2fXGK1pgfGeThWycDgjqZ4sv
BG4
Legendary

Activity: 1006
Merit: 1024

PaperSafe

View Profile
July 25, 2015, 04:47:40 AM

I prefer Paper Wallets....

PaperSafe.org
btcdealer

Activity: 206
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 25, 2015, 05:08:17 AM

In my opinion the best wallet would be block chain wallet because of its encrypting technology.... Smiley Smiley Smiley
Vishal93

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 25, 2015, 06:25:58 AM

best wallet in my sense for cold storage is tezor wallet and paper wallet....☻⢍
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  

Jump to: