Bitcoin Forum
May 30, 2024, 02:23:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Stolen Bitcoin  (Read 2259 times)
zircon (OP)

Activity: 117
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 01:53:00 PM

Hi all,

I am the owner of 19BWxdCtmTcWupG6tQjXZD7F4hDd6ftEri

I logged in and had a look about 3 hours ago and lo and behold, exactly one Bitcoin has disappeared.

The wallet is kept by Blockchain and I have emailed them. Their response is that they have no control over it therefor nothing they can do. \
I have read several issues Blockchain have had in the past and wonder if it has to do with that?

I have relocated the remaining Bitcoin in another wallet which is with Blockchain at the moment still, but protected with 2 factor authentication. But I do not comprehend how this could have happened - it seems almost surreal. I had about 14 Bitcoin in there and whoever took it, took exactly one bitcoin. Why not everything?

Does anyone know what is going on or can unravel this for me?

ChompStory

Activity: 99

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 01:55:37 PM

Hi all,

I am the owner of 19BWxdCtmTcWupG6tQjXZD7F4hDd6ftEri

I logged in and had a look about 3 hours ago and lo and behold, exactly one Bitcoin has disappeared.

The wallet is kept by Blockchain and I have emailed them. Their response is that they have no control over it therefor nothing they can do. \
I have read several issues Blockchain have had in the past and wonder if it has to do with that?

I have relocated the remaining Bitcoin in another wallet which is with Blockchain at the moment still, but protected with 2 factor authentication. But I do not comprehend how this could have happened - it seems almost surreal. I had about 14 Bitcoin in there and whoever took it, took exactly one bitcoin. Why not everything?

Does anyone know what is going on or can unravel this for me?

id guess its a script or an addon of some kind, browser addons or something
zircon (OP)

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 02:06:03 PM

What do you mean? Something on my browser that could have done that?

I am on a mac...

But why one bitcoin???

ransomer

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 02:09:24 PM

What do you mean? Something on my browser that could have done that?

I am on a mac...

But why one bitcoin???

Maybe they hoped you didn't notice.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 02:09:37 PM

he mean that you are probably infected in some way, you seems to remember having downloaded something suspicious or that you weren't so sure about it?

btw mac isn't immune to virus, this is a myth that apparently is tough to destroy
OmegaCollector

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2015, 02:09:43 PM

Does your transaction log tell you where it went? Was it sent to another wallet? Was it 1 transaction, or many smaller ones?

http://www.satoshihunter.ca/ - the best faucet list!   http://coinengine.co/?ref=269  - The best alternative to cloud mining
ransomer

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 02:11:07 PM

This again highlights the huge weakness of bitcoin as they are stored and protected (not!) at the moment. If people loose money in a banking account most of the time they will get their money back. For bitcoin.... it's just "so sorry, too bad".
zircon (OP)

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 02:12:32 PM

yeh it went to one wallet. One transaction.

Does anyone have any ideas what I should run on my mac to check for viruses etc?

I moved it to another wallet, now protected with 2 factor auth. Is that safe?

HCLivess
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1090

=== NODE IS OK! ==

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2015, 02:12:39 PM

I highly recommend Comodo Internet Security - it is free also

Blazr

Activity: 882
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 02:15:28 PM

This again highlights the huge weakness of bitcoin as they are stored and protected (not!) at the moment. If people loose money in a banking account most of the time they will get their money back. For bitcoin.... it's just "so sorry, too bad".

Exactly. I lost a million in cash today, left it on the street for a few minutes while I went into a strip club. I guess somebody dishonest must've taken it, all my life savings Sad

No worries though because I told my bank and they gave me another million in cash. Gotta love the banking cartel sometimes.

Lol, Ok my point is it's not that clear cut. The bank won't give you back your money if they think it's your fault. They could argue that you didn't fulfill your responsibility to secure your computer properly and refuse to refund losses, this is NOT unheard of and does happen in some extreme cases though most of the time the banks are insured against fraud so they don't care as much. I know of a case where a person had money stolen from their bank account and the bank refused to reimburse them because they used their year of birth as their PIN.

errornone

Activity: 98

error

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 02:17:57 PM

something is wrong, this is too suspicious... EVERYBODYYYYY sell sell sell selll selllll before it is too late!!!!

Grin

error
twister

Activity: 672
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2015, 02:22:57 PM

You're so wrong, this is not a bitcoin weakness but rather people's carelessness of keeping their bitcoins in a web wallet, it's like giving your money to a stranger and hoping nothing happens to it.

I don't know what happened to OP, I don't think it was a hacker or something like that because they would have swept the whole wallet but whatever it was I would suggest you to learn about Electrum and cold wallets and move your funds asap or else you might end up losing them all.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

Get Free Bitcoin Now!
  ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦   
0.8%-1% House Edge
[/
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3402
Merit: 6659

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2015, 02:24:13 PM

You probably got infected with some virus that either made the transaction for you or logged the password and the attacker stole some Bitcoin. I wonder why they didn't take all 14 BTC and only took 1?

Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2015, 02:27:46 PM

he mean that you are probably infected in some way, you seems to remember having downloaded something suspicious or that you weren't so sure about it?

btw mac isn't immune to virus, this is a myth that apparently is tough to destroy
Yeah, people believe that. However, the sole reason for the lesser amount of malware is because hackers don't bother. The market share is tiny compared to Windows.
The situation is quite unusual here. Let me get this straight, does the wallet from which the coin was stolen have 2FA or not?

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
zircon (OP)

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 02:29:02 PM

So even if they took the password they still would have had to authenticate via email. So I do not understand that?

Also taking 1 Bitcoin - just so weird guys - I mean I would snap it all and walk and I bet 99.99% of people would if they intended to steal something. Not take 1 Bitcoin here and there. This just makes no sense.

Can you point me to a suitable link on Bitcointalk wrt Electrum and cold wallets? As I have to look into that now - if this did happen I have been extremely lucky and will have to think of another way of storing.

Also, with regards to Blockchain there was a lot of talk about them having had not properly secure wallets in the first place??

zircon (OP)

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 02:30:45 PM

No it did not have 2FA enabled - I just moved the remaining ones (Also a Blockchain wallet!) to another Blockchain wallet that does have 2FA while I figure out what I am going to do next.

But that still does not explain why it happened - because I have logged in from another connection or browser or pc before, and it only allows me in once I have authenticated via email as well...

zircon (OP)

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 02:33:24 PM

That's the thing - I don't think it was a hacker either - hacker would have taken everything, and also, would have had to authenticate via my email if logging in from somewhere else - even if he/she knew my password.

That is why I was thinking it could only have happened with a virus, with my session open, or there are these issues which I assumed had been sorted with Blockchain: e.g. this - https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/gentleman-hacker-returns-stolen-bitcoins-blockchain-info/

Herbert2020
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1137

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 02:34:03 PM

how is it weakness of bitcoin?!!

as i understood from OP , he didn't have 2FA enabled on his account. i have seen a lot of this which led to losing bitcoin stored on blockchain.info 's wallet. besides it is a well known fact that online wallets aren't exactly the most secure place for storing bitcoin.

so it would be the service's weakness and not bitcoin

Weak hands have been complaining about missing out ever since bitcoin was $1 and never buy the dip.
Whales are those who keep buying the dip.
Blazr

Activity: 882
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 02:34:13 PM

Blockchain.info had bugs in their random number generator before that caused many people to have the same Bitcoin address in their wallet. I wonder if that is what happened again, and some other person had OP's address too but didn't fully realize what happened so didn't clean the address out and only tested it.

zircon (OP)

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 02:37:35 PM

I have no idea....I am busy talking to BC - but so far have had the blunt response - sorry bud it's gone bblabla.

It is just so bizarre that only 1 Bitcoin would disappear if hacked - makes no sense at all.

Anyway have 2FA enabled now but I'm going to have to move my Bitcoins as I feel very insecure with Blockchain right now.

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: