Bitcoin Forum
June 08, 2024, 10:57:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Nook is dying and my wallet is on it!  (Read 901 times)
lexinook (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 09:23:27 PM

I have some of my bit coins (0.5 coins, I'm rich!  Roll Eyes )at localbitcoins.com the other half are on my nook HD (0.5 coins). The nook needs to be reimaged and I want to get my bitcoins off before it dies.

I saw all these complex ways to copy it but wouldn't it be easier to make a new wallet on my PC then transfer the coins to the new wallet? I thought they lived on the SD card in the nook but when I backed up it sent me a file to my email.

What to do?
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2015, 09:30:41 PM

What wallet are you using on the Nook?

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1009

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 09:46:31 PM

Yes, you can simply send them to a new wallet... If you can't, it would help know a bit more about your problem (software used, issues you're having...)
lexinook (OP)

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 04:31:44 AM

I have some of my bit coins (0.5 coins, I'm rich!  Roll Eyes )at localbitcoins.com the other half are on my nook HD (0.5 coins). The nook needs to be reimaged and I want to get my bitcoins off before it dies.

I saw all these complex ways to copy it but wouldn't it be easier to make a new wallet on my PC then transfer the coins to the new wallet? I thought they lived on the SD card in the nook but when I backed up it sent me a file to my email.

What to do?
Simply make a wallet on your pc and send the coins to that address, that way the coins will be on your pc and you won't have to deal with the worry of wallet.dat's . Seems worth the transaction fee to me.

Whats the transaction fee?
Possum577

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2015, 05:19:31 AM

What to do?
Simply make a wallet on your pc and send the coins to that address, that way the coins will be on your pc and you won't have to deal with the worry of wallet.dat's . Seems worth the transaction fee to me.

The transaction fee is low, certainly much less that what you could lose.

lexinook (OP)

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 05:31:37 AM

What wallet are you using on the Nook?

4.37 bitcoin wallet developers using bitcoinj and zxing

Also which wallet should i use on windows xp?
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2015, 06:05:15 AM

I have some of my bit coins (0.5 coins, I'm rich!  Roll Eyes )at localbitcoins.com the other half are on my nook HD (0.5 coins). The nook needs to be reimaged and I want to get my bitcoins off before it dies.

What to do?

The transaction fee is low, certainly much less that what you could lose.

it is about 2 cents.

@lexinook

dont use Win XP at all because microsoft doesnt support that OS anymore! i would not recommend to store your BTC on an XP machine.

a paper wallet / hardware wallet would be a better choice  or  if this too complicated for you - something like coinbase with 2 factor authentication for small amounts.

lexinook (OP)

View Profile
July 25, 2015, 09:02:08 AM

dont use Win XP at all because microsoft doesnt support that OS anymore! i would not recommend to store your BTC on an XP machine.

a paper wallet / hardware wallet would be a better choice  or  if this too complicated for you - something like coinbase with 2 factor authentication for small amounts.

a hardware wallet would be a sd card? I could do this with coin base? thanks!
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 25, 2015, 11:09:28 AM

Coinbase is a exchange... that has a wallet on it. 

What our looking for is a leightweight wallet, or colld wallet mentioned like paper wallet.   I suggest researching wallets before picking one.  - https://bitcoin.org/en/choose-your-wallet
S4VV4S

Activity: 1582
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 25, 2015, 11:09:57 AM

A hardware wallet is a Trezor
There are others too.

Just search the forum for hardware wallet Smiley
ikydesu

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

fb.com/Bitky.shop | Bitcoin Merch!Premium Quality!

View Profile WWW
July 25, 2015, 07:03:33 PM

What to do?

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Transaction_fees

Look at LiteCoinGuy signature, you can check about hardware wallet: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=899253.0

Coinbase is exchanger which also can use as web wallet.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: