Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 01:28:14 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Dash a better alternative to Bitcoin?  (Read 23620 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Monopoly

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 11:19:12 AM

In dash network all transaction are really anonymous and this is a final purpose of BTC project . i think dash and monero are best of alternatives ....
g3rszpi

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 02:45:03 PM

In dash network all transaction are really anonymous and this is a final purpose of BTC project . i think dash and monero are best of alternatives ....
Only because of anonymity?
qwizzie (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1245

View Profile
July 28, 2015, 05:58:39 PM
Last edit: July 28, 2015, 06:12:53 PM by qwizzie

Only because of anonymity?

Although Dash at its core is an anonymity-focussed cryptocurrency, by now it has reached a point that it is capable of offering a lot more.
To understand what Dash have to offer more i will have to talk about what differentiate Dash from other cryptocurrencies :

Dash has a two-tier system, one tier is the POW mining that can be done with Dash, the second tier is the Masternode Network that enables
a Proof of Service protocol which not only helps with the Darksend mixing but also enables Dash to offer extra services on top of it. Extra services like
InstantX and having a decentralised budget system setup on blockchain level which will give it far more control over its own funds and last but not least
receiving revenues (income) from running a masternode (47.5% per block, to be extended to 50% in 2016).
These services have only recently been added and many more services will surely follow.

And to add to that : just like bitcoin should not be judged by its bitcoin price but by the use of the blockchain and the development of technology / services behind that blockchain,
Dash should not be judged by its current price but by the use of its two-tier system and the technology / services behind that.....

Learn from the past, set detailed and vivid goals for the future and live in the only moment of time over which you have any control : now
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2015, 08:49:58 PM

Dash has never implemented Masternode blinding, so its privacy is broken.

Here's what a Darkcoin core dev has to say about it:

darkcoin or however it will be called next year is not a decentralized entity.

this currency is lead by a single person.

darkcoin is like an old conservative company with strong hierarchical comamnd structures and a single person on the top of the pyramid.

fuck this i tell you.

darkcoin is not decentralized as it still relies on a single person.

the core devs were just a bunch of volunteers exploited for the big thing.

the things going on here are fishy, intransparent and rely on a single entity.

you are probably investors trying to win a gold donkey. or you are simply trying to exploit every possible vector of profit in the coins space. whatever. you are not here because darkcoin is something it claims to be.

what if evan duffield suddenly announces he quits the project tomorrow morning?

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
qwizzie (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 29, 2015, 06:25:16 AM

I have three trolls on my ignorelist, they are :

AdamWhite
TheDasher
iCEBREAKER

These trolls have been trolling the ANN Dash forum for some time now and have but one single purpose which is to derail our ANN thread and discredit
Dash by any means necessary even if that means blattently lying and spreading misinformation about Dash and its community.
i have learned the hard way to best deal with trolls like that is to put them on ignore which means i dont go into discussion with them in here
and only look at their posts to see if they have violated any of my three rules mentioned on my first post. Just rest assured anything coming from these
three individuals is pure FUD and attempts to discredit Dash .. nothing more, nothing less.

Learn from the past, set detailed and vivid goals for the future and live in the only moment of time over which you have any control : now
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2015, 06:41:41 AM

I have three trolls on my ignorelist, they are :

AdamWhite
TheDasher
iCEBREAKER

These trolls have been trolling the ANN Dash forum for some time now and have but one single purpose which is to derail our ANN thread and discredit
Dash by any means necessary even if that means blattently lying and spreading misinformation about Dash and its community.
i have learned the hard way to best deal with trolls like that is to put them on ignore which means i dont go into discussion with them in here
and only look at their posts to see if they have violated any of my three rules mentioned on my first post. Just rest assured anything coming from these
three individuals is pure FUD and attempts to discredit Dash .. nothing more, nothing less.

I have derailed nothing.  To the contrary, Dash's (solo) core dev eduffield responded to my recent posts and is happy to find about their content.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
TanteStefana2
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 24, 2015, 09:47:06 PM

Personally, I think Bitcoin will be filling in a very specific niche, most likely Governments will be hanging their Fiat on Bitcoin.  It was the first, it is the simplest and most transparent, and has become the most trusted crypto out there.  They will likely pin their own versions of crypto on side chains, something they can manipulate better, but regardless, when all the world works on crypto, it will be very easy to move from one to another.

So is Dash better?  It's much better at being cash.  It is digital cash in every way.  But Bitcoin is like gold, just as their slogan goes.  It's heavy, can't move it quickly and needs time to verify it's real.  But it's the first, which gives it a trust level unchallenged.  It simply can't function in the same way Dash can, thus, it will be as I projected above, the Fort Knox of the crypto economy.

Another proud lifetime Dash Foundation member Smiley My TanteStefana account was hacked, Beware trading
"You'll never reach your destination if you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks."
Sir Winston Churchill  BTC: 12pu5nMDPEyUGu3HTbnUB5zY5RG65EQE5d
qwizzie (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 24, 2015, 10:29:18 PM
Last edit: October 24, 2015, 10:45:06 PM by qwizzie

When i created this topic some time ago not much was known about the direction Dash was heading towards,
that changed when Dash Codename "Evolution" was announced a few weeks ago.

Evolution seems to be addressing at least some of the conditions (those condition the Dash Core-Team has influence over) that i earlier described that could make
Dash a better alternative to Bitcoin :

Personally i think it will depend on a few conditions :

- There need to be a growing awareness of cryptocurrency in general where people will not only regnonice and understand Bitcoin but also understand its weakness
such as lack of privacy (transactions can get traced easily now and even more easily in the near future with upcoming regulations) and the inefficiency / handycapped
use of it on a truelly global scale involving millions of transactions when it will be trying to fullfill the role of electronic cash (and most likely failing).  

* there is already a growing awareness of this weakness of Bitcoin that you see expressed in articles coming out lately but if that will persuede either
current bitcoin users or new bitcoin users to look for alternatives is still very much the question.

- To have DASH as better alternative it will need to have a simple package that is easy to understand, easy to use, very fast and very secure. That will mean moving towards not only
PC / Windows users but also Phone users (Android, IOS, Windows Phone) and making everything very very user-friendly.

- DASH will have to get an effective marketing campaign setup to attract more attention and position itself as direct competitor of Bitcoin.

When these conditions are met i feel DASH will have a good chance of being considered a better alternative to Bitcoin.

Teaser screenshot of Dash Code-Name "Evolution", this screenshot is just one of many parts that together will form "Evolution", hopefully more teasershots / information will follow
from the Dash Core-Team about the other parts.

Note : Dash Evolution is Dash's next major upgrade v13, No ETA yet and no specifics at this point either

For latest information about Dash Evolution check out this video :

https://dashtalk.org/threads/evan-duffield-explains-dash-technology-and-announces-evolution-at-bitcoin-wednesday.6453/#post-71489

and this link : https://dashtalk.org/threads/development-update-oct-19-2015.6429/

Evolution is a completely different way of thinking about cryptographic currency. To start, we’ve figured out how to implement an API in such a way that it’s both completely secure and decentralized. This will allow us to use 5-20 DASH random sub-quorum servers per request, instead of all of them as is the norm with the rest of the cryptographic currencies (each node must process each request individually). That alone gives us a large leap in technological abilities that none of our competitors have, but combined with our decentralized storage mechanism we can enable large scale support of user-based storage. This means our users data will live on the network and they can jump from their android Dash wallet, to a browser-based Dash wallet without losing information about their transaction histories, friends or private messages.

Technical details of the system are quite impressive alone, which is what we revealed at Bitcoin Wednesday in Amsterdam. However, that’s not really what is going to sell the system. We’re going to compete by making a new type of cryptographic currency that is user-focused.

All components of cryptographic currency are being rethought.This is intended to be a platform that the rest of the world can use without being scared away by all of the complicated cryptography happening behind the scenes. When a transaction comes into your wallet, it will say “Evan sent you 41DASH for Samsung 2005 TV”, not “41DASH from XrWaFt4YY3AevBoZWkmrQEYSAYwiUFodtB”. The later scares away a large percentage of the population, because it looks complex and feels unsafe.

If we told everyone within the community every detail, we would steal our own momentum, so we’re going to show a proof of concept of this system in action at Bitcoin Miami. This is quite exciting because this is one of the largest most influential conferences within the Bitcoin ecosystem and we hope to ignite a lot of interest.

DAPI will also include a vastly improved version of masternode blinding. All requests through the system can be blinded, so that they are redirected through the system to a masternode that doesn’t have any direct contact with the end user. This is the reason we will not be building masternode-blinding into the v12 client.

TanteStefana2
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 25, 2015, 05:19:33 AM

Even if Evolution weren't in the works, Dash has made such amazing improvements to Crypto Currency, it really is digital cash.  For the end user, instantaneous transactions make it possible to purchase in person any way you would normally transact with cash or credit / debit card as there is no wait.  And it's like cash because of the privacy it affords.  And even without Evolution, which promises to be amazing, Dash's decentralized governance and budgeting from the blockchain ensures the project will be able to grow and has a source for paying it's expenses without having to beg.  This situation has caused Bitcoin to make deals with other institutions, and I assure you, those institutions will have great sway over which direction Bitcoin will be developed in the future.

Dash is free from that.  Also, if you haven't seen the last talk Evan gave at Bitcoin Wednesday earlier this month in Amsterdam, you can see it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Jw5Gk-iuy0

Another proud lifetime Dash Foundation member Smiley My TanteStefana account was hacked, Beware trading
"You'll never reach your destination if you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks."
Sir Winston Churchill  BTC: 12pu5nMDPEyUGu3HTbnUB5zY5RG65EQE5d
qwizzie (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 25, 2015, 10:10:51 AM

Reminder from post 1 :

* Pls discuss if you think DASH will indeed be a better alternative to Bitcoin
* Pls discuss this with rationality and motify your response
* pls have some respect for both the cryptocurrency and its community. accusations of scam towards Dash will not be tolerated in this self-moderated topic, there are enough of those out there already !

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2015, 10:17:32 AM

Teaser screenshot of Dash Code-Name "Evolution"

OK, that's a nice slide.

Where is the whitepaper?

Where is the code?

Bitcoin now has CLTV/CSV, when will Dash add these important features?

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
qwizzie (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 25, 2015, 10:39:59 AM
Last edit: October 25, 2015, 10:56:03 AM by qwizzie

OK, that's a nice slide.

Where is the whitepaper?

Where is the code?

We will all see a working demonstration of Dash's Evolution on the Miami Bitcoin Event 21-22 Januari 2015.
(3 days after Dash's second year's birthday  Grin)

Whitepaper (2 white papers actually i think)  and code i'm sure will follow when its all done and ready, like most important things in life.

iCEY, I know you are all excited about it and that you cant wait to start reading those white papers pages as soon as possible (and boy there will be many pages to read)
and i understand the need to wanna sniff through all that exciting new code but you will just have to wait for it like the rest of us....

With regards to CLTV / CSV : Dash v12 implemented Bitcoin Core version 0.10, i have no idea if v12.1 or v12.2 will include further Bitcoin updates or if that will be
reserved for v13 (Evolution), thats up to the Dash Core-Team. I do want to mention that CLTV (where CheckLockTimeVerify & CheckSequenceVerify provide the basic
functions needed to build Lightning-type payment channels and Liquid/CT-type sidechains) only very recentely got implented in Bitcoin (yesterday ?) so i'm sure our
Core-Team will study it to see if it conflicts with their plans for Evolution.

Patience is not simply the ability to wait - it's how we behave while we're waiting.
Joyce Meyer

illodin

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 26, 2015, 03:13:37 PM

OK, that's a nice slide.

Where is the whitepaper?

Where is the code?

With regards to CLTV / CSV : i have no idea

Yes, that's what I figured.  With regards to the two key functions needed to scale blockchain based ecash, Dash's position is 'lol I dunno.'

That's *almost* as asinine as coding up Evolution before its allegedly revolutionary concepts have passed muster in the peer review process.

I guess Evan Scamfield is committed to shipping Evolution, whether it actually works or is based on fundamentally unsound computer science/cryptography.

So there is no other way to scale a blockchain based crypto coin than CLTV/CSV?
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2015, 03:34:23 PM

OK, that's a nice slide.

Where is the whitepaper?

Where is the code?

With regards to CLTV / CSV : i have no idea

Yes, that's what I figured.  With regards to the two key functions needed to scale blockchain based ecash, Dash's position is 'lol I dunno.'

That's *almost* as asinine as coding up Evolution before its allegedly revolutionary concepts have passed muster in the peer review process.

I guess Evan Scamfield is committed to shipping Evolution, whether it actually works or is based on fundamentally unsound computer science/cryptography.

So there is no other way to scale a blockchain based crypto coin than CLTV/CSV?

We're not even sure if the sidechains and payment channels enabled by CLTV/CSV will actually work to scale a blockchain based crypto coin.

All four concepts are new, experimental, and untested in the real world.

But, unlike Evolution, they are being developed as FOSS projects in full public view, with all benefits thereof.

It would be asinine for Blockstream to build them in secret, then start the public release with a rigged/stage-managed/choreographed/deterministic marketing demo before working backwards to open source and whitepapers

That would indicate Blockstream either likes to waste time/money/talent on boondoggles, or doesn't GAF whether the tech is solid and they are committed to releasing it, regardless of any fatal flaws or instamine-like major fiascos.

It would also indicate Bitcoin development is centralized, and limited to those special members of Blockstreams Secret Clubhouse.

The process goes [whitepaper(s)<-->peer review(s)] --> [coding<-->testing] --> marketing demo, not the other way around.

Here, I'll simply it down to DashHole level.  The process is called 'Research and Development' not 'Development and Research.'

The order is important!   Grin

Coding before you know the engineering foundation is solid is like building a house from the roof down.

That kind of stunt is usually pulled by for-profit start-ups, not legitimate 501c non-profits engaged in actual research.

Can you honestly say you don't see a problem will all the red flags here?

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
qwizzie (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 26, 2015, 09:35:03 PM

I understand iCey has some trouble both reading and understanding my previous post (short attention span perhaps ?) so here is my full sentence from my previous post.
Its okay iCEY, you just have a way with words .. mostly how to shorten them to fit your own use. I understand.  

With regards to CLTV / CSV : Dash v12 implemented Bitcoin Core version 0.10, i have no idea if v12.1 or v12.2 will include further Bitcoin updates or if that will be
reserved for v13 (Evolution), thats up to the Dash Core-Team. I do want to mention that CLTV (where CheckLockTimeVerify & CheckSequenceVerify provide the basic
functions needed to build Lightning-type payment channels and Liquid/CT-type sidechains) only very recentely got implented in Bitcoin (yesterday ?) so i'm sure our
Core-Team will study it to see if it conflicts with their plans for Evolution.

noah tall

Activity: 524
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 26, 2015, 10:03:20 PM

iCEBREAKER, the master of the "Moving the Goalposts" fallacy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moving_the_goalposts

When you're first argument is challenged and destroyed, move on to the 2nd, then the 3rd, ...

Dash has never implemented Masternode blinding, so its privacy is broken.

Where is the whitepaper?

Alternatively, try random internet quips that are not backed up by any facts or reasoning and repeat them several times a day:

-----------------------------

Bitcoin will end up as a system of record for Wall Street.
DASH will end up being the digital form of cash.

1aguar

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 27, 2015, 12:01:54 AM

I read this thread and this is my question:
What if evan duffield unexpectedly dies tomorrow morning?
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
October 27, 2015, 02:26:44 AM

I understand his mom also has the keys for spork.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2015, 03:36:49 AM

Nothing so dramatic as sudden death is necessary to bring Dash 'Bus Factor = 1' problem to the fore.

Less exiting prosaic and common events are more likely to have the same effect.

EG, what if Evan's wife tells him to choose between her or or Dash, because she doesn't wish to be married to, nor have children fathered by, a notorious scam artist?  Or he could just get sick of the whole thing and start a new life herding goats.  Or he could go to jail for charity fraud+tax evasion+unregistered securities.

There is also the otoh factor.  If Dash's sugar daddy/life support system decides to move on to other investments, Dash's goose is cooked.

At any time, if Evan or otho decide to pull a Satoshi and disappear, Dash becomes abandonware.

I'm not sure about the math, but do know being utterly dependent on two individuals continuing their present course gives Dash a Bus Factor lower than 1.  It's probably 1/2 or 1/4.  Either way, that's not acceptable resiliency for a project with the hubristic goal of replacing cash and plastic.

Pretentious fantasies of displacing BTC+Visa+fiat notwithstanding, Dash is just one man's hobby project, complete with homespun "bad crypto" and monetized by a very tiny group of insiders.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
qwizzie (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 27, 2015, 06:47:33 AM

Then the rest of the Dash core-team takes over, the Dash project has a large development team spread over different parts of the world
and functions without a central part.

https://www.dashpay.io/dash-video-series/
see "video 3 : Virtual Corporation" to understand how that works exactly.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: