Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 12:17:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "fast flux" false abuse report received for my node and seed.bitcoin.sipa.be  (Read 1884 times)
molecular (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 06:16:59 PM

The hoster who hosts my bitcoin node just forwarded the following email they received from noreply@certsi.es

Dear Team,

CERTSI has detected some domain names that seem to be using Fast-Flux techniques[1] pointing to machines under your constituency, which may be members of a botnet.

As you are probably aware, Fast Flux botnets are built upon a network of compromised machines in order to provide better reliability to their evil deeds.
We can only infer that the detected domains are indeed fast flux domains from the DNS resolution. However, finding its IP address belonging to a fast flux domain is a strong indicator that a given host is compromised (or has been in the past, sometimes the evildoer fails to promptly remove the ip from the fast flux domain).

We recommend you to enquiry the customer whether he recognizes the domain as one they own/provide a service to. In case he doesn't, the host should probably be considered compromised, and appropiate measures taken to clean it and ensure it doesn't get compromised again.

At the bottom of this email you can find the information, concerning the hosts under your constituency that have been gathered since our last notification, as well as attached for your convenience.

The file is formatted as follows:

[Timestamp] [IP] [Domain] [Country] [AS]

**Timestamp format is dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm:ss UTC**

As this information is collected from public services, you can share it with other involved entities (like ISPs, CERTs or other companies).

We hope this information regarding the security of your customers/clients results useful for you. In case of further questions, or if you need any help on this issue, please feel free to contact us at .

You can contact us if you detect any fraudulent activity under a .es domain or related with Spanish resources, and we would try to help you to solve it.

Thank you.
Best Regards,

1- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_flux

2015-07-21 16:30:29, <my node IP>, seed.bitcoin.sipa.be, DE, 24940, HETZNER-AS Hetzner Online AG

(I replaced my nodes IP address with "<my node IP>")

So I'm guessing they falsely identified seed.bitocin.sipa.be as a fastflux domain used to run a botnet?

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
vm1990
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 23, 2015, 10:39:03 PM

dont make it an easy read do they...
looks like the website has had/has some strange traffic and or a complaint against it for something (bitcoin has been classed as a botnet by mistake by a few providers in the past) i wouldnt worry to much about it. but if you are worried id suggest contacting them and see what info they can give to you. if its not your domain then contact the user and ask if they know whats happening.

there are a few things you could include to help out
is it your domain?
is it a VPS/Dedicated server or a webhosting package?
if it is your domain have you owned it long?
if its a VPS/Dedicated how long have you had that ip
are you running windows or linux?

some of them you might not want to answer but it does make it easier
check whats running on the servers make sure no ones got into them.

achow101
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 6505

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2015, 03:00:57 AM

There is actually another thread about this. Someone had the same problem. The thread is here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1118701.0

This apparently has something to do with the Bitcoin Seeder dns seed software which is legitimate but that ISP thinks it is malicious.

molecular (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
July 24, 2015, 08:52:46 AM

dont make it an easy read do they...
looks like the website has had/has some strange traffic and or a complaint against it for something (bitcoin has been classed as a botnet by mistake by a few providers in the past) i wouldnt worry to much about it. but if you are worried id suggest contacting them and see what info they can give to you. if its not your domain then contact the user and ask if they know whats happening.

there are a few things you could include to help out
is it your domain?
is it a VPS/Dedicated server or a webhosting package?
if it is your domain have you owned it long?
if its a VPS/Dedicated how long have you had that ip
are you running windows or linux?

some of them you might not want to answer but it does make it easier
check whats running on the servers make sure no ones got into them.

Not confused at all and yes: no need to worry.

seed.bitcoin.sipa.be (used for bitcoin peer discovery, I assume) is falsely flagged as being a "fast flux domain".

The IP-Adress is my server and it was associated because the domain had resolved to this IP for a moment (the domain cycles through different bitcoin node IP-Addresses, I assume)

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
molecular (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
July 24, 2015, 08:55:20 AM

There is actually another thread about this. Someone had the same problem. The thread is here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1118701.0

This apparently has something to do with the Bitcoin Seeder dns seed software which is legitimate but that ISP thinks it is malicious.

Thanks for linking that thread.

trueblue276

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 14, 2015, 08:36:30 PM

Interestingly, Time Warner Cable just shut down* my residential cable modem for this same reason-- they received an abuse report about Fast Flux at my IP address, and I run a full Bitcoin Core node. Well, past tense, ran-- I am going to shut it down, now, because I don't want to risk getting reported again (even though I've done nothing wrong.) I had to call them and get transferred to their Security department to get my service restored.

(* Technically they blocked all my IPv4 traffic. The modem had all happy lights, I had an IP address, and IPv6 still worked so I could reach gmail and google and ip6.me-- but most of the internet was down to me because IPv4 didn't work.)
molecular (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
August 15, 2015, 06:22:02 PM

Interestingly, Time Warner Cable just shut down* my residential cable modem for this same reason-- they received an abuse report about Fast Flux at my IP address, and I run a full Bitcoin Core node. Well, past tense, ran-- I am going to shut it down, now, because I don't want to risk getting reported again (even though I've done nothing wrong.) I had to call them and get transferred to their Security department to get my service restored.

fucking paranoid wimps at Time Warner Cable... who are they to deny service based on suspicion

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: