Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 07:21:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Are you with me ?  (Voting closed: October 27, 2012, 10:09:05 AM)
Yes - 2 (20%)
No - 6 (60%)
I have a better solution (explain below) - 1 (10%)
I don't give a duck - 1 (10%)
Total Voters: 10

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [SUGGESTION] Forum topics should auto-close after period of inactivity  (Read 994 times)
ShadowOfHarbringer (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
September 27, 2012, 10:09:05 AM

I think that topics on this forum should automatically close after a certain period of inactivity time (perhaps 3 months or less) to prevent necromancers from casting their spells and thus creating an unbelievable mess.

Who's with me ?

Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2012, 11:27:46 AM

What's wrong with old threads? There's a lot of posts/threads, and there's a lot of interesting older discussions that will never get read by people who would be interested in it.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 12:31:13 AM

What's wrong with old threads? There's a lot of posts/threads, and there's a lot of interesting older discussions that will never get read by people who would be interested in it.
+1

Better to necro an old thread than to have to relearn historical knowledge. Many forums have a policy against duplicate threads, in fact. Prohibiting necros is equivalent to adding a policy requiring duplicate threads.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12927

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 12:49:35 AM

Better to necro an old thread than to have to relearn historical knowledge. Many forums have a policy against duplicate threads, in fact. Prohibiting necros is equivalent to adding a policy requiring duplicate threads.

Yeah, I don't like either of these policies. Post in an old thread or create a new one -- whichever you want.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
helloworld

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 01:28:30 AM

One thing which I think would be a really handy visual for necro'd threads would be a different background color on posts that are greater than say 3 months old.

Or a thick red horizontal line separating the old posts in the thread from the new ones.
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 06:13:14 AM

One thing which I think would be a really handy visual for necro'd threads would be a different background color on posts that are greater than say 3 months old.

Or a thick red horizontal line separating the old posts in the thread from the new ones.

The way some boards handle it is by having a warning pop up when you go to post a reply - similar to the warning we have when new replies have been added while you're writing a response.  It's useful because people often don't look at the date of a thread when they've found it via search and the information contained therein could be hopelessly outdated.  Warning people that it's an old thread before they can post a reply brings this to their attention.

Many forums have a policy against duplicate threads, in fact. Prohibiting necros is equivalent to adding a policy requiring duplicate threads.

The policy is often against having more than one active thread on a topic in a sub-forum, and there are times when it would be useful around here as useful information often gets lost when it's posted across 10 different threads on some hot button issue.

On the whole, though, this place isn't really busy enough to require dedicated mega-threads, and the reality is that when they exist people rarely bother reading beyond the first page or two so the same questions, answers and observations get posted over and over anyway.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2012, 06:18:19 AM
Last edit: September 28, 2012, 06:48:12 AM by BadBear

There is a warning when posting in old threads. Well kind of, if the last reply was more three months there's a warning, once it's been bumped there's no warning.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2012, 06:35:27 AM

I think it will be useful if "unread posts" etc. show the time the thread was started in addition to the time of last post (some forums do that). It's a bit more information-dense but it can help you know if you're walking into a graveyard. A slightly different color for old threads as helloworld could also be useful.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
helloworld

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 12:22:42 PM

The way some boards handle it is by having a warning pop up when you go to post a reply - similar to the warning we have when new replies have been added while you're writing a response.  It's useful because people often don't look at the date of a thread when they've found it via search and the information contained therein could be hopelessly outdated.  Warning people that it's an old thread before they can post a reply brings this to their attention.

That's great and all, but I'd prefer to see that kind of warning *before* I read through 7 pages of year-old posts!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: