Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 07:35:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is wide distribution valuable ?  (Read 14502 times)
duphash (OP)

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 25, 2015, 06:57:03 PM

I always thought that having wide distribution has huge benefit to a coin, especially PoS coin.
But recently someone told me that it has only slight benefit.

I thought that widely distributed coin will not have risks of pumps and consequently dumps.
Some debate that AUR was widely distributed and dumped.

I object saying that it was initially pumped only because of poor initial distribution before airdrop and also did not have useful features.
If it had same qualities as Ether or NXT and was not allowed to be traded before airdrop is finished then it would not be pumped dumped.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jambola2
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1038

View Profile
July 25, 2015, 07:17:02 PM

Pump and dump is unrelated to how good or bad the features of a coin are.
It is often perpetuated by the creators who have more of it than the average user, or a group of users with capital to buy a large amount of the coin.
Once they have enough of the coin, they push up the market prices further, convincing the average user and potential investors that the coin is gaining value due to its merit. Once everyone invests in the coin and decides to hold, the huge investors or the creators of the coin bail out and dump the coin.

The main reason few altcoins take off is the abundance of alts. When there are so many alts, it is hard to find a new alt that will make all the difference.
Distributing it to more people may help, but only if the more people actually take notice of the coin.

No longer active on bitcointalk, however, you can still reach me via PMs if needed.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
July 25, 2015, 07:24:15 PM

aurora was simply a shit coin with false promise, it was premined around 50% with the promise of a good distrubution among the users of iceland, which i doubt it ever happened in the first place, and surely was orchestrated in a shady way

it was an huge pump scheme for sucking money from poor icelender, the dump in fact happened before the distribution leaving those that should've recieved their coins with a worthless bag

real good distrubution that happen naturally like with bitcoin, and lasts many years it's a completely different thing and will only help stabilization and dismiss big p&d
duphash (OP)

View Profile
July 25, 2015, 10:13:57 PM

aurora was simply a shit coin with false promise, it was premined around 50% with the promise of a good distrubution among the users of iceland, which i doubt it ever happened in the first place, and surely was orchestrated in a shady way

it was an huge pump scheme for sucking money from poor icelender, the dump in fact happened before the distribution leaving those that should've recieved their coins with a worthless bag

real good distrubution that happen naturally like with bitcoin, and lasts many years it's a completely different thing and will only help stabilization and dismiss big p&d

Ok, did anybody try really wide distribution without any scam ?
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
July 25, 2015, 10:20:32 PM

You would have to check ripple;
http://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/ripple/

It's a weird coin so you would have alot of reading to do.

It was 100% premine i believe and is being distributed manually to prevent this among other things. It is the #2 market cap coin so this is probably the closest to do what you're talking about.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
duphash (OP)

View Profile
July 25, 2015, 10:30:31 PM

One dev told me that it is possible to exclude sockpuppets without  revealing identity.

If this is possible then why not create such currency on NXT monetary system as experiment to see how it withstands pump attempts.

If million people own 0.00001% of it then pump will be impossible.
If it took something valuable from owners or offers some value in exchange then they won't dump much lower than that value, so there will be no dump.
duphash (OP)

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 12:50:05 AM

Did anybody run taint analisys on Ripple accounts to see real distribution ?
How does it compare to current NXT and BTC distribution ?
AtheistAKASaneBrain

Activity: 770
Merit: 509

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 12:51:20 AM

I always get a bitter feeling when I remember AUR. I mined a couple with my slow computer back then... and I held them all over the bubble instead of selling, I was too optimistic and was witing for a higher price, I got greed. Since then I don't gamble with altcoins, as long as I see some solid profit I sell for BTC. I could have made like 5 BTC out of nowhere with the insane AUR pump.
duphash (OP)

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 02:04:53 AM

It was 100% premine i believe and is being distributed manually to prevent this among other things. It is the #2 market cap coin so this is probably the closest to do what you're talking about.

I noticed that Ripple has huge swings in price. How come Ripple labs cannot maintain stable price ?
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 02:29:11 AM

I noticed that Ripple has huge swings in price. How come Ripple labs cannot maintain stable price ?

I don't know exactly. There's factors like... its crypto. The trust people put in crypto is up and down. Its not based on something of value like Gold. Etc.

You'd have to talk to people who are actually into Ripple. I am not.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
duphash (OP)

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 02:34:37 AM

What other coins have good distribution ?
I keep hearing that NEM had good distribution, but it lasted only 1 month, it does not look good, does it ?

mezmerizer9

Activity: 782
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 06:42:54 AM

What other coins have good distribution ?
I keep hearing that NEM had good distribution, but it lasted only 1 month, it does not look good, does it ?

But NEM's original holders are dumping it and crashing the price, due to the lacking solid features or applications to support the price. Ppl are dumping it for profits. It is not about good distribution. I thought good distribution should be that more ppl know the existence and are willing to buy and hold that coins, which will make the price stable.

███████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████?7?3████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
DECENT
FOUNDATION

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

[D]ecentralized application
[E]liminated third parties
[C]ontent distribution       

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

[E]ncrypted & secure
[N]o borders
[T]imeless reputation 

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

Amph
Legendary

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 06:48:25 AM

they could do it via signing msg, everyone post his btc address and sign it then for every genuine member that do this he will be reward with a portion of the supply of a the dev's pos coin
Mickeyb

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 07:34:34 AM

NEM did, but they are doing terribly since they are not delivering promised features at all or delivering too slowly.

Distribution is overrated in my opinion. Crypto world is still just a small group of people, imagine when this goes mainstream, for all those masses, we will be the ones that held all the coins and we will be tbe hoarders in their eyes.

Some even argue that the benefits of the bad distribution are not that bad, look at NXT, their whales have  financed and still are financing many projects.

All in all is better to have bad distribution and constant delivering and innovation than other way around.
everaja

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

~ScapeGoat~

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 07:39:50 AM

I always thought that having wide distribution has huge benefit to a coin, especially PoS coin.
But recently someone told me that it has only slight benefit.

I thought that widely distributed coin will not have risks of pumps and consequently dumps.
Some debate that AUR was widely distributed and dumped.

I object saying that it was initially pumped only because of poor initial distribution before airdrop and also did not have useful features.
If it had same qualities as Ether or NXT and was not allowed to be traded before airdrop is finished then it would not be pumped dumped.

I dont think AUR was similar to NXT , it lacked initialization , moreover the coin was holded much my the people who were involved in its creations , so much Pumps and Dumbs were Unlikely to occur with that. Unlikely AUR alts which you assume to be NXT was relly,fairly distributed among diffrent people not only the devs and Intrested people which made it a success for time being.
I think the Pumps and Dumbs are mainly because they have much Alts of the Same coin.

duphash (OP)

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 10:25:21 PM

they could do it via signing msg, everyone post his btc address and sign it then for every genuine member that do this he will be reward with a portion of the supply of a the dev's pos coin

I agree that it's better to have narrow distribution than lack of features.
I also agree that ideal coin must have both.

But is it true that wide distribution inevitably results in lack of features ?
Why not distribute it widely and allocate 20% for features slowly payable to devs upon completion of milestones.
Did anybody try that model ?
If yes, was it failure ?
duphash (OP)

View Profile
July 27, 2015, 12:29:05 AM

Why NEM devs are worse performing than NXT devs ?
Do they have enough incentives ?
Are they paid well ?
Derrike

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 27, 2015, 03:54:38 AM

According to me, it is valuable and not just valuable but also it decrease the chances of pump and dump.
So I think that it increases the life of any crypto currency unless the developers are not greedy.
Amph
Legendary

View Profile
July 27, 2015, 06:17:11 AM

I agree that it's better to have narrow distribution than lack of features.
I also agree that ideal coin must have both.

But is it true that wide distribution inevitably results in lack of features ?
Why not distribute it widely and allocate 20% for features slowly payable to devs upon completion of milestones.
Did anybody try that model ?
If yes, was it failure ?

no none has done what i've sayed in that post, actually i never thought of this thing, myself, i don't think it's a good idea to give 20% to dev, cryptocoin are not based on a dev, dev should not get anything if not the same amount that he will give to everyone
Kakmakr
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 1957

Leading Crypto Sports Betting & Casino Platform

View Profile
July 27, 2015, 09:29:57 AM

Wide distribution means nothing, if it's not backed up by a value added chain of merchants and vendors accepting it for goods. I compare this to a class of 1st graders exchanging marbles. Lots of them have it but it has no value, other than trading it amongst each other.

If the school canteen or shop starts accepting it for goods, the value will increase and the demand will rise, if there are a limited supply.

Most of these Alt's are being converted to BTC and then into fiat anyway. So there are no real value in keeping them, if they are not used to buy things from merchants and vendors to stimulate an economy. You will have some pre-mined coins being hoarded to increase it value {fake rarity} and then you will see a sudden dump.

..Stake.com..   ▄████████████████████████████████████▄
   ██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄            ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██  ▄████▄
   ██ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██████████ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██  ██████
   ██ ██████████ ██      ██ ██████████ ██   ▀██▀
   ██ ██      ██ ██████  ██ ██      ██ ██    ██
   ██ ██████  ██ █████  ███ ██████  ██ ████▄ ██
   ██ █████  ███ ████  ████ █████  ███ ████████
   ██ ████  ████ ██████████ ████  ████ ████▀
   ██ ██████████ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██████████ ██
   ██            ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀            ██ 
   ▀█████████▀ ▄████████████▄ ▀█████████▀
  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███  ██  ██  ███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄