Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 12:25:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Altcoins are becoming a joke...... Anyone Agree?  (Read 2235 times)
newrad (OP)

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 27, 2015, 03:02:33 AM

Everyday there is a new SHITcoin being released. It's becoming a joke now.  Enough is Enough!

Nobody accepts these Altcoins as currency, or payment, and nobody outside of this forum (and the cryptocurrency community) knows what the hell a Litecoin, Dogecoin, NXT, or Monero is.....

People in the real world BARELY know what Bitcoin is.... It's gonna be another 5+ years before Bitcoin starts to meet it's true potential.

The creation of new Altcoins needs to stop, let's face it... Bitcoin has BILLIONS invested into it, and isn't going anywhere.  Until Bitcoin fully penetrates the mainstream, no Altcoin will be a successful predecessor.   

Also 1 more thing.... Cryptocurrencies are not stocks.  Undecided

Let's discuss.

(Monero & Litecoin are the only candidates to be the BTC alternative)

Donate: 1Arwzha3tci23dC6XAZLSwNt6RQ6vj37au

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
El Dude

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 27, 2015, 04:02:04 AM

any altcoin without 1 million in daily volume is a joke i.e. anything not litecoin  Grin

Bitcoin and Litecoin hodler
Derrike

Activity: 84

View Profile
July 27, 2015, 04:11:59 AM

Yes I definitely agree with you and always think while watching the altcoin calender that what's the use of all these altcoins,  these all are just pump and dump.
benthach
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2015, 04:19:41 AM

altcoins is nothing but a joke at this point
meaningless coins after coins, the creator of the scam coin might make a few btc then disappeared forever to make new coins, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat... let me know if no one not understand the word repeat.

reddit btcwriter1 - twitter kingpininvestor
kennyP

Activity: 544

View Profile
July 27, 2015, 04:24:38 AM

You should read Nathaniel Popper's book "Digital Gold: Bitcoin and the Inside Story of the Misfits and Millionaires Trying to Reinvent Money"

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Gold-Bitcoin-Millionaires-Reinvent/dp/0062362496

It's a great account of how the early bitcoin adopters nursed bitcoin to where it is today. I knew the basic outline of the history, but Popper's account made me realise what all these early adopters had in common - their excitement for bitcoin had nothing to do with the world as it was, but with the world they could imagine, and the price of bitcoin and the number of users didn't deter them.

Can you imagine a world with hundreds of viable digital currencies? I can, and that's what I expect will happen in 3-5 years time, and some of those currencies exist today, and they're basically worth peanuts today, just like bitcoin was in 2010/11.

My big fear is banks and corporations will launch their own coins, so by the time the general public learn what a blockchain is they'll be using 100's of corporate coins that have nothing to do with the original vision for decentralized finance. That's why I think the SuperNET is so cool, as it's basic premise seems to be all alt coins should compete for end users, but they should do it in a co-operative way, like shops in a mall.

Shoppers like going to the mall because everything is there in the one place so its convenient (like the SuperNET client will be), but individual shops are competing none the less. Individual alt coins have no chance against citibank coin, but SuperNET definitely will!!
rdnkjdi
Legendary

Activity: 1256
Merit: 1009

View Profile
July 27, 2015, 04:35:03 AM

Most altcoins have ALWAYS been a joke (glance back to the days of solidcoin).  

There have been a few innovations.

Litecoins p2p pools, NXT & Counterparty, Cryptonote.

If you don't remember that 99% of what's going on in here are people trying to leave you holding a bag with something they created from nothing.  Then you aren't thinking right.

Also - most of the innovation has moved out of the altcoin forums.  AT, Ethereum, sidechains, etc.  
kennyP

Activity: 544

View Profile
July 27, 2015, 06:15:04 AM

Most altcoins have ALWAYS been a joke (glance back to the days of solidcoin).  

There have been a few innovations.

Litecoins p2p pools, NXT & Counterparty, Cryptonote.

If you don't remember that 99% of what's going on in here are people trying to leave you holding a bag with something they created from nothing.  Then you aren't thinking right.

Also - most of the innovation has moved out of the altcoin forums.  AT, Ethereum, sidechains, etc.  

I'd say ~10% of current alts have a chance at success (so 90% are worthless), but that's still a good number of coins. Once the bear market ends for good I predict another wave of alt coins but the bar will be higher this time, so more professional scams, and a few decent coins with some genuine innovation

the key to alt investing success is research & reading, and many here don't bother with that, so they judge all alts as being similar when many aren't. NXT started as an alt, and most said it was a scam, but they were clearly wrong.

the risk/reward profile for alts makes them profitable for scammers, but also profitable for people willing to wade through this damn forum
MaxDZ8

Activity: 672

View Profile
July 27, 2015, 06:25:49 AM

Are becoming?
The joke has been ongoing for longer than I can stand. It ceased being funny quite some time ago.
Back then we had true innovators like overkill coin or stuff borderlining art such as ripoff coin!

And btw, BTC alternative in LTC... cmon man!
NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 27, 2015, 06:52:00 AM

You should understand that investments need time to grow. If a VC invests 100 million into bitcoin, that doesn't mean it becomes worth more overnight.. Infrastructure has to be build before you see the result. The same goes for altcoins.

Coins like NXT, NEM and XCP are going to be interesting.
unusualfacts30

Activity: 1540

View Profile
July 27, 2015, 07:21:41 AM

First of all it's not becoming a joke...may be cryptocurrency is becoming a joke since every scammer is coming up with their own scam but the "idea" behind it is not becoming a joke. Government, Bank, Companies have found a great way to take advantage of blockchain and they're using it for their benefits.

Overall it has been very succesful idea and I'm sure Satoshi is very proud of it.

There are real people who're using blockchain, crypto for their day to day need and I think that's what satoshi was trying to accomplish...he never cared about the price of it only investors care so much about price.

Decentralized
Asset-Backed Banking

▄▄██████████████████
 █████████████████████
█████▀▀
████▀    ████
████     ████
████     ████
         ████     ████
         ████    ▄████
               ▄▄█████
█████████████████████
██████████████████▀▀ 
.TheStandard.io.█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
████████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
HCLivess
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1090

=== NODE IS OK! ==

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2015, 07:31:27 AM

the only reason for this thread is you feeling threatened

KlondikeBear

Activity: 115

View Profile
July 27, 2015, 07:42:04 AM

Can you imagine a world with hundreds of viable digital currencies? I can, and that's what I expect will happen in 3-5 years time, and some of those currencies exist today, and they're basically worth peanuts today, just like bitcoin was in 2010/11.

the key to alt investing success is research & reading, and many here don't bother with that, so they judge all alts as being similar when many aren't. NXT started as an alt, and most said it was a scam, but they were clearly wrong.

the risk/reward profile for alts makes them profitable for scammers, but also profitable for people willing to wade through this damn forum

I agree, good summary.

DR. ALBAN LYRICS

Enemy's gathering rumours ignorant spread
 Fools accept them without confirmation
 Hey, you'd better surrender

Stop spreading these rumours, oh
 Enemy's gathering rumours, oh yeah

Enemies are gathering rumour ignorant spread
 Enemies are gathering rumour ignorant spread
 Fools take it and accept it.
 Fools take it and accept it.

Enemy's gathering rumours ignorant spread
 Fools accept them without confirmation
 Hey, you'd better surrender

the Nash equilibrium?
rnicoll

Activity: 199
Merit: 110

View Profile
July 27, 2015, 08:03:54 AM

You should understand that investments need time to grow. If a VC invests 100 million into bitcoin, that doesn't mean it becomes worth more overnight.. Infrastructure has to be build before you see the result. The same goes for altcoins.

Coins like NXT, NEM and XCP are going to be interesting.

NXT, NEM and XCP aren't the jokes here, it's the constant stream of pre-mined coins coming out of the announcements board.

Well, NXP and XCP aren't, anyway, never heard of NEM before.

Dogecoin Core developer, ex-researcher, trader.

Unless stated otherwise, opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect that of other Dogecoin developers.
Abiky
Legendary

Activity: 3192
Merit: 1359

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
July 27, 2015, 12:37:51 PM

I think that the most promising alt coins are: NXT, LTC, XMR and BTS. The rest of the alt coins are just not worth it. Just my opinion  Roll Eyes

█████████████████████████
███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
CryptyMike

Activity: 291
Merit: 127

View Profile
July 27, 2015, 12:53:36 PM

Definitely true, I have been in the altcoin/Bitcoin world for a long time. March 2014 was a big boom for altcoins, when pump and dumps were at their height. Even that was a joke despite the altcoin game being profitable. Of course I have invested in altcoins and I did well, but it was mostly luck, and truly understanding how to capitalize on scammers and silly twitter accounts haha.

All in all, BTC is a wise investment imo, in addition to your existing portfolio such as stocks, or real estate perhaps.

At the end of the day, if EVERYONE was 100% in BTC, the market cap of BTC would increase and this would results in pushing us farther than we are. We need to all be on the same team, and that team is BTC...not CANN or something XD

P.S. - Altcoins are fun to fool in sometimes, but ultimately its best if we are all in BTC.
monsterer
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 27, 2015, 01:06:21 PM

Really? That is probably the best parallel we have; 'stocks' accessible to anyone who owns a computer.
KlondikeBear

View Profile
July 27, 2015, 01:19:51 PM

Yes, the best and wrong. If cryptoCURRENCIES are stocks, what are cryptoSTOCKS then?
Cryptostocks.com or NXT Asset Exchange are places where anyone who owns a computer can buy "stocks".
Currencies have different features.

Really? That is probably the best parallel we have; 'stocks' accessible to anyone who owns a computer.

the Nash equilibrium?
Abiky
Legendary

Activity: 3192
Merit: 1359

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
July 27, 2015, 01:24:49 PM

Yes, the best and wrong. If cryptoCURRENCIES are stocks, what are cryptoSTOCKS then?
Cryptostocks.com or NXT Asset Exchange are places where anyone who owns a computer can buy "stocks".

Wow! I had no idea this ever existed. I'm going to try this out. Thanks!  Wink

███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
monsterer
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 27, 2015, 01:27:44 PM

A cryptocurrency can be thought of like a company; it has shares (the currency), profit (fees burnt), employees (miners), users (us).
KlondikeBear

View Profile
July 27, 2015, 01:40:29 PM

A cryptocurrency can be thought of like a company; it has shares (the currency), profit (fees burnt), employees (miners), users (us).

That is true for Ripple maybe.

But classic cryptocurrency 1) is not incorporated 2) has no debts 3) has no accounting 4) has no assets 5) has no real profits or dividends
6) cannot be bankrupted 7) doesn't produce any product.
You usually cannot buy goods or services for stocks, etc. etc. etc.

Why should we use "stocks" analogy instead of just calling it "currencies" which they really are.
Let's call a spade a spade.  Smiley

the Nash equilibrium?
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: