Bitcoin Forum
May 15, 2024, 07:56:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: should we make a bitcointalk TOR hidden service?  (Read 3118 times)
Bitznbitz

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 06:35:29 PM

I think it would be good.
conspirosphere.tk
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1064

Bitcoin is antisemitic

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 08:14:13 PM

Tor hidden service would be great, but don't forget that central server is still an issue.
I mentioned this before in other thread - Look at Osiris serverless portal. Decentralized P2P solution.

I tried it, works nicely and it is a great concept. Its only problem is like the blockchain: you have to download a local copy of a forum from the peers, and that is a slow task the first time or if you do it after a while.
samson
Legendary

Activity: 2097
Merit: 1070

View Profile
October 07, 2012, 10:42:48 PM

and a pleathora of other payment systems/solutions.

There are some really psykopathic people working at those companies who will refuse to adapt and will instead hate.

They are already hating and will never adapt so it won't make much of a difference if it's on tor or not.

Everyone has access to tor....
jl2035

Activity: 146
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 22, 2012, 11:01:40 PM

when this happens, my friend... https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=90148   Grin

JOIN Bitbiz bitbiz.io
Kuusou

Activity: 56

View Profile
November 23, 2012, 12:03:38 AM

I think there is room for a more widespread service (A forum like this) on the TOR network. The issue is that we are not looking to do illegal things here. If anything we are trying to be the face of Bitcoin and Bitcoin discussion here. If you are doing illegal things, just stop. There are other places for that.

The speed thing really is an issue as well. This forum seems really slow at times already (It's not just me right?). I would really rather not have it be TOR slow. And although I do think more people need to host nodes if they are going to utilize the network, I also know that not everyone is in control of their internet. You have a lot of people using their parents or siblings or spouses internet and I really can't ask them to host something that could in any way become an issue for another person.

I also want to point out that it doesn't always have to be about doing something wrong. I don't want anyone spying on me for any reason at all. I don't need people knowing my buying or spending habits, be it with Bitcoin or cash. I use a card for spending though and I do realize that all of the spending I do on that is logged somewhere. Bitcoin is and will always be a target for this sort of spying though. There are reasons it was made the way it was. It's not about making a currency that can be used for illegal actions. It's about privacy. Something that I believe should be a natural right. I understand that people do illegal things and that Bitcoin gives people the privacy they need in order to complete transactions over the internet. I don't condemn such things, I don't like that they are giving Bitcoin a bad name, but I understand that they would be doing it another way if they didn't have Bitcoin. It's that public image that we need to work on.

I don't think it will become illegal though. If that was able to happen then they would also be able to make trading game currency illegal as well. It's just silly.

So sure, you can go make a TOR forum that mimics this one, but this forum needs to stay here, needs to be fast, and needs to not be doing illegal things. Bitcoin needs a user friendly forum environment that people can utilize. It needs a clean face.
btct

Activity: 7

View Profile
November 23, 2012, 11:05:33 AM

Tor hidden services are incredibly slow, and there's no point for a legal site to be on Tor.
Endgame

Activity: 412
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 23, 2012, 11:47:30 AM

The bitcointalk forums are an important part of the public face of bitcoin, and thus need to remain easily accessible. If you hide them inside TOR it will help to keep bitcoin a small geeky pastime, and prevent more mainstream adoption.
tjohej

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

Magic Staff

View Profile
November 23, 2012, 07:38:55 PM

all PMs should be required to be PGP encrypted, since I believe PMs are the property of the sender+receiver and no-one else has the right to read them. i'm sure there are many other privacy increasing features that could be added as well[snip]
Hmm, but that could be done on a voluntary basis. Let's say you wanna receive PM's encrypted. What you can do is post a link to your public key in your signature, then ask people to send you PM's only GPG/PGP encrypted and maybe signed. That way those who want encryption and signatures can do it. Those who don't want to do it, they just don't participate in this. If you like you can start a separate topic like "using PGP/GPG for PMs. Post if you want to participate" then people can post who are interested to PM with encryption and/or signatures using public key cryptography and then it's settled. What do you think about it and everyone else what do you think about this?

Quote from: btct
Tor hidden services are incredibly slow, and there's no point for a legal site to be on Tor.
Using Tor is like using curtains on your windows. You don't necessarily hide something illegal but the reason you use curtains is to maintain your privacy. Same goes for Tor.

There may still be hope for the 1st decentralized cryptocurrency which is Bitcoin. How to approach different subjects is key to progress.
SirBitConomy

View Profile
November 23, 2012, 09:38:17 PM

I don't think it would be the worst idea in the world. There is free tor hosting out there but they would probably want paid tor hosting or to host it themselves. Bitcoin might become illegal some day. You never know.
SynOps

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

BitFi Services

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2012, 09:54:09 AM

Only if it could be a mirror of this site, so those who do use TOR often can use the onion link, and the regulars can use the regular link.

I agree though, if your doing illegal stuff, go to a different site, I believe in keeping Bitcoin in a positive light, rather than have it associated with TOR and illegal stuff everytime an article is posted about Bitcoin or Tor or those illegal sites.

SIDE NOT; Im a newbie here, but the site seems to run quickly for me!

conspirosphere.tk
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1064

Bitcoin is antisemitic

View Profile
November 24, 2012, 01:13:18 PM

Bitcoin might become illegal some day. You never know.

Yep. That's the main reason to consider this option imho. If they forbid private property of gold 80 years ago, just figure what they could pull out now. At least we should have a backup plan ready to go underground in case things go south.
AnubisTheJackle

View Profile
November 24, 2012, 02:37:10 PM

The fact that you don't see the irony in that sentence scares me. It's this very sentiment that is the reason that we need more legal services on Tor. Tor has already gotten a bad name due to the use of illegal websites, providing legal services as .onion sites would allow a more legitimate internet service to grow in the .onion universe.

As for if this site "needs" to be a .onion, I don't think it "needs" to be. Tor Browser allows you to browse both .onion and non-.onion sites so if you're worried about security, navigate here through Tor. There's no reason we NEED a .onion address.
ennio.morricone

Activity: 8

View Profile
November 24, 2012, 08:11:36 PM

i'm divided on this one.

both options have their advantages.
the future of btc is uncertain, since we have no idea how governments will act when btc reaches critical size.
I think it would be wise to divise a backup plan (including a move into the darknet/undernet) in case of need.
However, for the time being, i think the "open net" is still the way to go.
Bitexchange

Activity: 28

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2012, 10:15:41 PM

Tor hidden service would be great, but don't forget that central server is still an issue.
I mentioned this before in other thread - Look at Osiris serverless portal. Decentralized P2P solution.

How would a forum work on that software?
I dont think you can do PHP or anything similar with that.
Maybe nice for static pages but anything dynamic would be impossible i guess.
Or am i wrong there?

salfter

Activity: 651
Merit: 501

My PGP Key: 92C7689C

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2012, 11:02:17 PM

Some kind of anonymous gateway might be fairly cool but the problem is anonymity is a double edged sword. Just ask (name escapes me), an old anonymous email service that got shutdown because of abuse (I want to say anonnet.fi but that's incorrect)

anon.penet.fi? They shut down in 1996 after the Cult of $cientology alleged that someone had used them to email their "secrets."

Tipjars: BTC 1TipsGocnz2N5qgAm9f7JLrsMqkb3oXe2 LTC LTipsVC7XaFy9M6Zaf1aGGe8w8xVUeWFvR | My Bitcoin Note Generator | Pool Auto-Switchers: zpool MiningPoolHub NiceHash
Bitgem Resources: Pool Explorer Paper Wallet
Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 2122

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 01:42:18 AM

Some kind of anonymous gateway might be fairly cool but the problem is anonymity is a double edged sword. Just ask (name escapes me), an old anonymous email service that got shutdown because of abuse (I want to say anonnet.fi but that's incorrect)

anon.penet.fi? They shut down in 1996 after the Cult of $cientology alleged that someone had used them to email their "secrets."

That's the one (and the correct reason). Slightly different risk but basically the same problem overall.

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k
pepperx

Activity: 8

View Profile
November 25, 2012, 01:01:51 PM

While this is still up, I probably won't use the TOR site. TOR is way too slow to browse the internet with.
nobbynobbynoob

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

Annuit cœptis humanae libertas

View Profile WWW
November 25, 2012, 01:07:31 PM

i'm divided on this one.

both options have their advantages.
the future of btc is uncertain, since we have no idea how governments will act when btc reaches critical size.
I think it would be wise to divise a backup plan (including a move into the darknet/undernet) in case of need.
However, for the time being, i think the "open net" is still the way to go.

I think so too, although there would be some argument about a definition of critical mass. I've heard it defined as about one sixth of the populace (or economy) before, but of course Bitcoin will achieved amazing success even if only penetrating about one per cent of the world's economy.

And as has already been posted, it's possible to browse Bitcointalk using Tor.

Earn Free Bitcoins!   Earn bitcoin via BitcoinGet
BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: