Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 06:42:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Bitcoin currently under attack?  (Read 3902 times)
ianbakewell (OP)

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 04:23:06 PM

I just noticed this thread in the mining section:

Crossposting for awareness and further discussion.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 04:32:21 PM

if it were an attack why would they have contacted the devs ahead of time?
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 05:12:38 PM

It is a university, so I figured they were not hostile.
Did not see any mention of contact with the devs.

Still, 10% of the network is a hell of a lot to just "turn on" suddenly Shocked
Wonder how much more they have up the sleeve.

this is actually old news from a few weeks back when they published the paper.  at that time, they said they had contacted the devs. 

what is new is that they've actually demonstrated, with evidence, their theory in action.
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 05:16:46 PM

Zurich? Is it where a lot of bankers live?  Smiley
lakeluke

Activity: 64
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 05:35:33 PM

Can someone pls post a link to their paper; thanks
Ivica

Activity: 218
Merit: 100

Firstbits: 19e3fc

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 05:37:48 PM

Can someone pls post a link to their paper; thanks

This one http://eprint.iacr.org/2012/248 ?

19e3fcoLTu8YVFAU1NywJ88YnHH5kF8ScP - donations are welcome.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 06:03:04 PM

what is new is that they've actually demonstrated, with evidence, their theory in action.

Well, new back in May when their results were first shared.

This is for the race attack (on 0/unconfirmed transctions), and not a 51% attack which could reverse confirmed transactions.

- http://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Double-spending

They describe how they could connect to their "test vendor", which means that vendor's node wasn't configured according to the recommendations (i.e., no incoming connections, explicitly connect outgoing to hub nodes):

- http://blockchain.info/hub-nodes

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Dansker

Activity: 740
Merit: 500

Hello world!

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 07:50:25 PM

About time a university started researching Bitcoin seriously.

Stress testing the network and protocol by a neutral party is something we should be grateful for, regardless of the immediate consequences.

If they can disrupt the network, so can others. And then I prefer this uni to do it, so we can learn from it rather than die from it.

Severian

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 07:57:35 PM

Stress testing the network and protocol by a neutral party is something we should be grateful for, regardless of the immediate consequences.

Well said. Just quoting you for reinforcement.
Cdecker

Activity: 489
Merit: 504

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2012, 08:00:04 PM

Well I was wondering how long it would take for people to notice. It's me Cheesy

And no I am not putting lots of hashing power to the network, notice that it just says "relayed by" and not "mined by". I'm performing some measurements, paper is due in a few weeks.

Want to see what developers are chatting about? http://bitcoinstats.com/irc/bitcoin-dev/logs/
Bitcoin-OTC Rating
Gyrsur
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 1520

Bitcoin Legal Tender Countries: 2 of 206

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2012, 08:02:27 PM

About time a university started researching Bitcoin seriously.

If they can disrupt the network, so can others. And then I prefer this uni to do it, so we can learn from it rather than die from it.

the whole mining process has to be inspected. all the involved parties which producing no really value have to be sorted out!

allthingsluxury
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2012, 08:02:44 PM

Will be interesting to see how this all unfolds.

Dansker

Activity: 740
Merit: 500

Hello world!

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 08:05:18 PM

Well I was wondering how long it would take for people to notice. It's me Cheesy

And no I am not putting lots of hashing power to the network, notice that it just says "relayed by" and not "mined by". I'm performing some measurements, paper is due in a few weeks.

Can you somehow prove this is you doing this?

Also, what you are doing, care to "explain it like I'm 5"?

Gyrsur
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2012, 08:05:24 PM

thank you! due your work I came under attack of some moderators and some pool operators (which I really like!)

Cdecker

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2012, 08:11:18 PM

thank you! due your work I came under attack of some moderators and some pool operators (which I really like!)
Hm? What do you mean?

I can't give you the exact details of what I'm doing until it gets published. I can tell you that I participate in the network as any other node does, I'm just a very big node (5'000 connections open), and am thus considered a Hub in Blockchain.info's vocabulary Cheesy

Want to see what developers are chatting about? http://bitcoinstats.com/irc/bitcoin-dev/logs/
Bitcoin-OTC Rating
Akka
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 08:12:54 PM

Can you somehow prove this is you doing this?

Also, what you are doing, care to "explain it like I'm 5"?

Its really him: http://www.disco.ethz.ch/members/cdecker.html

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
Cdecker

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2012, 08:16:35 PM

I'm not the only one working with such large nodes btw. There seems to be someone from the university of Munich that is doing something similar:
I wonder what they are doing :-)

Bitcoin-OTC Rating
Gyrsur
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2012, 08:19:04 PM

Hm? What do you mean?

I can't give you the exact details of what I'm doing until it gets published. I can tell you that I participate in the network as any other node does, I'm just a very big node (5'000 connections open), and am thus considered a Hub in Blockchain.info's vocabulary Cheesy

please read this here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=113654.0

elux
Legendary

Activity: 1458
Merit: 1006

View Profile
September 28, 2012, 08:21:27 PM
Last edit: September 28, 2012, 08:32:51 PM by elux

Well I was wondering how long it would take for people to notice. It's me

Cool. Well, today I learned a bunch of arcana about relaying versus mining blocks.
What, exactly, are you measuring? How many people are grappling with Bitcoin at ETH Zürich?

Well that's a weird way to look at it. They happened to be right, and we happened to be wrong.
There is not much honor in being a fool, but there can be some merit in admitting the mistake.

Now, what we should do is learn from the experience, and only then feel good about ourselves.
Cdecker

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2012, 08:23:21 PM

Sorry about that mate. The Paper is from another group (System Security) in the University, I'm in Distributed Computing.
As far as I can tell we don't have any relevant computational power working on Bitcoin, I'm just relaying the blocks faster than others in the network.

Bitcoin-OTC Rating
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: