Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:53:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I've just been robbed :-(  (Read 19178 times)
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

amarha

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 09:09:48 AM

am I reading this right? The OP lost over a MILLION dollars worth of btc???

Well, it was around 100k at the time.

Out of all the bitcoin losses, I feel the most sorry for CDecker. I don't know why exactly, maybe because he's an expert who ended up losing his coins. Maybe because he was so genuinely interested in the technology that seeing him get robbed is worse than seeing some random speculator lose their coins. I don't know exactly , but it sucks that he lost them.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
datz

Activity: 295
Merit: 250

"to survive, we must live and fly"

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 09:33:30 AM

Sorry for your loss. PeerCover is on its way!
atomium
Donator

Activity: 406
Merit: 252

Study the past, if you would divine the future.

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 04:11:57 PM

Wow man im really sorry for that, i dont keep my wallet or backup on my laptop or online i have it offline and just add small amounts of bitcoin when i want to go shopping.
Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 04:40:44 PM

Out of all the bitcoin losses, I feel the most sorry for CDecker. I don't know why exactly, maybe because he's an expert who ended up losing his coins. Maybe because he was so genuinely interested in the technology that seeing him get robbed is worse than seeing some random speculator lose their coins. I don't know exactly , but it sucks that he lost them.

Yeah, it pretty much sucks. He disappeared from the forums after the theft, I pretty much understand him, being robbed of that huge amount of money it's a shock.

This is a lesson to be learned, nobody should feel secure regardless of their OS (some linux guys tend to believe they are uncrackable), the only way to have your coins reasonably safe is with a paper wallet or in cold storage.

And still, BTC is like cash - so treat it like that. When it's gone, it's gone for good.

wopwop

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 05:12:23 PM

Yeah, it pretty much sucks. He disappeared from the forums after the theft, I pretty much understand him, being robbed of that huge amount of money it's a shock.

This is a lesson to be learned, nobody should feel secure regardless of their OS (some linux guys tend to believe they are uncrackable), the only way to have your coins reasonably safe is with a paper wallet or in cold storage.

And still, BTC is like cash - so treat it like that. When it's gone, it's gone for good.
He's still online almost daily

@topic: lol
Otoh
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3024
Merit: 1105

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 06:20:06 PM

Sorry to hear OP & I hope that one day you'll have made it back or equivalent in some way, maybe by developing the best selling hardware wallet in existence or something.

BTC = $c²     My BTC addie = 1otohotohMoQoxHuxLBveQiZcV3Pji3Tc 
Bitstamp Exchange: Referal Code
CHARITY | MY REP | PREDICTION 1 | PREDICTION 2 | PREDICTION 3
No_2

Activity: 901
Merit: 1031

BTC: the beginning of stake-based public resources

View Profile
May 30, 2013, 11:36:42 PM

+1
timeofmind

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 04:12:02 AM

It would be really funny if the hacker left a million dollars in Ripple IOUs in its place...

But seriously, I did feel really bad when I read this.

BitMessage: BM-GtUdgmqs5voD3M6o3X38gM93RyxPhDK9
worldinacoin

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 04:15:45 AM

Bitcoin used to be near worthless, so I guess no one really bothers until recently.   But Bitcoin now is extremely valuable, everyone needs to take the necessary precautions.
Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

amarha

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 09:49:53 AM

Bitcoin used to be near worthless, so I guess no one really bothers until recently.   But Bitcoin now is extremely valuable, everyone needs to take the necessary precautions.

It was worth around 10-12 dollars if I remember correctly when he lost his coins. Around $100,000 dollars even then. Definitely not worthless.

In Fact, bitcoins have been worth protecting since at least 2011. It was 2009-2010 when people were forgetting about/deleting their wallets without thinking too much.

worldinacoin

Activity: 756

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 09:51:33 AM

I mean old habits die hard.  If all along it was considered worthless and it appreciates in value, you wont be noticing about adding on extra security features.
mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 2607

In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce

View Profile WWW
May 31, 2013, 10:37:18 AM

Another unfortunate event that can't be undone. Guess that's a minus for Bitcoin.

Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 10:40:01 AM

Another unfortunate event that can't be undone. Guess that's a minus for Bitcoin.

It's the same minus you have for cash. When it's gone, it's gone - unless you can identify the thieves and you send the police after them.

If you want insured money keep using your credit card. Bitcoin is not about that.

Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2422
Merit: 2113

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 08:35:45 PM
Last edit: May 31, 2013, 08:46:39 PM by Richy_T

If you need a larger amount, you grab multiple paper wallets and empty them all. That's still pretty inconvenient though.

That's where a barcode scanner comes in.  Surely there must be something out there that makes a barcode scanner out of the webcam.

Some software that would sweep the wallet too. In theory, you could even code the destination address onto the paper wallet to make it a one-shot deal.

Hmm. I don't know enough about the protocol but I wonder if you could create and print the signed transaction so that it just gets inserted wholesale. Would it be possible to derive the public keys from that and direct it to another address? If not, you have a pretty secure way of storing funds (though it would tie you to one target wallet).

Just had a quick look at how transactions are generated and it does appear that this is completely possible.

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k
meebs

Activity: 616

View Profile
June 01, 2013, 03:25:08 AM

That sucks, bro.

If it's any consolation (probably not), I heard a story on this forum once about a guy that formatted a drive with tens of thousands of coins on it. He said the worst part was his wife knowing about it.

espescially if she knew what they were worth now..

it'd be like dropping a damn winning lottery ticket into a fire... i dont even WANT to know what that would feel like.

▄▄▄█████████████▄▄▄
           ▄████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████▄
        ▄██████▀▀             ▀▀██████▄
      ▄█████▀▀                    ▀▀█████▄
     █████▀                          ▀█████
    ████▀          ▄▄███████▄▄         ▀████
   ████▌        ▄██▀▀▀    ▀▀▀██▄        ▐████
  ████▌       ▄██▀            ▀██▄       ▐████
 ▐████       ██▀   ▄▄█▀▀▀█▄▄    ▀██       ████▌
 ████▌      ▐█▌   █▀  ▄▄   ▀▀             ▐████
▐████       ██  █▌  █▌ █████████████      ████▌
▐████       ██  ▐█  ▐█                     ████▌