Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 10:53:12 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin to mainstream adoption tactic  (Read 1100 times)
GODLIKE (OP)

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

LOL what you looking at?

View Profile
July 29, 2015, 07:26:55 PM
Last edit: July 30, 2015, 11:10:22 AM by GODLIKE

After several months of thinking about the Bitcoin issues to become a worldwide used currency, I've come to the conclusions you can read below, and I want to share them and hear opinions from other people.

The object of this study is to understand which is the best LOCATION to base the spreading of Bitcoin, in relation to effort, investment and local conditions.

The first consideration I make is that cryptocurrency main problem is reception by mainstream.
Cryptocurrency is such a new concept, something that such a large part of humanity has never heard or thought before, that pushing it into their lives under the form of money, a thing that so much influence our lives, replacing it completely, is an enormous task.

And up to here, I'm sure, you didn't read anything new Cheesy

The second consideration is that who acknowledged Bitcoin up to now is a particular group of persons: open minded, computer enthusiasts, mostly young males with generally an over the average IQ are the ones that can understand what is behind Bitcoin and its potentiality.
There's been somewhat of a boom from 2013 to now in Bitcoin spreading, with its highs and lows of course, but the boom has slowed down quite much in terms of adoption from privates at the moment, and we are in a phase that sees companies and banks studying it.

Also up to here, you probably didn't read anything too original Cheesy

So, now there's a question we are asking ourselves all the time: HOW to keep Bitcoin spreading and help it?
Following the two statements up here, we can guess that the best way to help Bitcoin spreading is FINDING PEOPLE LIKE MINDED.
People like us that can understand how Bitcoin works, or at least be so much open minded to ACCEPT that IT WORKS, even if they can't catch exactly HOW.
Also because, let's face it: IT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.
Most of humanity will not understand HOW Bitcoin works.
They will just use it, like they use cars, refrigerators, smartphones, and all the rest.
My personal opinion is that at least half of humanity would have big problems in understanding the blockchain mechanism, let alone cryptography and all the other stuff.
So, we have to EXPAND our target pool and look for people that will just ACCEPT Bitcoin, and following this, proceed in evangelizing THAT target population.

The main problem is FINDING this type of people, the ones that are not so much into computers or economy, but are enough open minded to adopt Bitcoin.

Of course, even up to here it may be that you didn't read anything too new.

But here comes the plot twist (maybe) Cheesy

How do you find a huge number of people and convince them to use Bitcoin without using a huge amount of resources, time and money?
I may have an answer to this, which also involves another consideration.

HOW do you convince a person that A SYSTEM is working?
You show this person THAT SYSTEM WORKING.
THAT's what we lack at the moment.
The rest of the world see us as "Bitcoin enthusiasts", weirdos that have fallen into some type of scam they have no wish to investigate further.
Or, in the best of cases, "if Bitcoin will become mainstream, I will adopt it, but for now I'm not interested."
People can't understand that we, some hundred of thousand of people scattered around the globe ARE ALREADY THAT SYSTEM.
We have to show them something more CLEAR, something their brains will accept as an irrefutable reality.
Something even SMALLER.
But something that can be easily identified as an ECONOMIC SYSTEM WORKING UNDER BITCOIN.
Or at least a big part of it, like 60 or 70%.
Something that will let these people understand that the thing works, WITHOUT ANY DOUBT.

We are asking to people to replace MONEY, the thing they used since they born, with something completely different.
This is the hurdle. We have to overcome this. We have to show them that their MONEY can be REPLACED with BITCOIN.

Now, when people can't perceive the "Bitcoin enthusiasts" as a system that IS working, we must ask ourselves WHAT they can see, understand and accept as that.
The answer that came to my mind is "a small city".
I think that when a small city will begin to run in large part under Bitcoin, the boom into mainstream will begin.

Not that this hasn't been tried before.
I was so enthusiast when I read about the Island of Mann becoming Bitcoin capital.
That disappeared in nothing. The government may accept Bitcoin for taxes payments, but if you go and look with Coinmap in there, it's a desert. It only means that there was ONE Bitcoin enthusiast in the government building, or a couple, or three. Doesn't matter. The community isn't a good one to accept the thing.
Then I read about the Island of Jersey. That puffed up in nothing as well, despite an association all oriented to promote Bitcoin on the island.

So, is the obstacle insurmountable?
I don't think so.
We only have to find WHERE people are most open minded regarding Bitcoin.
But to do this, there's a hurdle to overcome: as Bitcoin grants some level of anonimity, we don't know which country or city has the most adoption.
So, how to find this location, where people are more open into accepting Bitcoin, and PUSH IN THERE to make that small system fully (or mostly) working on Bitcoin currency?

Bitcoin map is only giving away VENUES that accept Bitcoin.
But, hey! Venues that accept Bitcoin... aren't shop owners the most difficult people to convince into adoption, because they have to add something to their system of payments?
So when you find the city with the most shops accepting Bitcoins, in relation to its population, it's probably the best location where to push Bitcoin adoption.
It means that THAT city is the most open minded regarding Bitcoins and that the effort into creating the Bitcoin system should go there.

So, I scoured a Bitcoin map to find which city has the best ratio of adoption of Bitcoin in its shops, and the result is below.
I didn't check systematically all the cities, I just looked at most promising locations, so if somebody will re-check, he may find something better, but I doubt it.

One last consideration.
People favorable to Bitcoin may not the single most influencing factor into the equation.
Bad economy in that location may as well be important, but I couldn't find a city with as good reception of Bitcoin as Tampa, Florida, in the USA, population 360000.

You would think that countries with bad economy would be first in the list of shops that accept Bitcoins, but unluckily, for some reason, it's not like that.
This may depend on lower income and less smartphones/computers available, or just because their minds are less favorable to accept new things, like the case of Greece seems to show.
Whatever the reason, my opinion is that poor countries DO NOT seem the places where the revolution will begin.

If I was a millionaire, with money to invest and promote Bitcoin (which in turn would come back under growth of Bitcoin value), I would invest in promoting in Tampa, as THIS looks the most Bitcoin receptive city in the world.
So, dudes from Tampa, I'm sure there's quite a number of you in this forum Grin you are the ONES, you are the chosen ones that should put more effort than everybody into spreading the word.
Your city is the one that probably puts less opposition to the thing, and will probably be the first "Bitcoin city" in the world anyway.
So if there's any millionaire in here... try to recruit some fellow Bitcoiner and send him spread the word.
For everybody's goodness and for yourself as well Wink

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nxbKuDItuKWVeQ8zqWgCBBqOxpyZ7CsfOz4gpwGgjCk/edit?usp=sharing

http://bitcoinmaps.info/

P.s.: alternatively, there's Kansas City, that looks very near in open mindedness regarding Bitcoin, but it's 140000 people more population... quite some more work to do!

BITCOIN FOREVER news aggregator: only the most important news on the cryptoworld!
zeraTunerse

View Profile
July 29, 2015, 09:45:41 PM

After several months of thinking about the Bitcoin issues to become a worldwide used currency, I've come to the conclusions you can read below, and I want to share them and hear opinions from other people.

The object of this study is to understand which is the best LOCATION to base the spreading of Bitcoin, in relation to effort, investment and local conditions.

The first consideration I make is that cryptocurrency main problem is reception by mainstream.
Cryptocurrency is such a new concept, something that such a large part of humanity has never heard or thought before, that pushing it into their lives under the form of money, a thing that so much influence our lives, replacing it completely, is an enormous task.

And up to here, I'm sure, you didn't read anything new Cheesy

The second consideration is that who acknowledged Bitcoin up to now is a particular group of persons: open minded, computer enthusiasts, mostly young males with generally an over the average IQ are the ones that can understand what is behind Bitcoin and its potentiality.
There's been somewhat of a boom from 2013 to now in Bitcoin spreading, with its highs and lows of course, but the boom has slowed down quite much in terms of adoption from privates at the moment, and we are in a phase that sees companies and banks studying it.

Also up to here, you probably didn't read anything too original Cheesy

So, now there's a question we are asking ourselves all the time: HOW to keep Bitcoin spreading and help it?
Following the two statements up here, we can guess that the best way to help Bitcoin spreading is FINDING PEOPLE LIKE MINDED.
People like us that can understand how Bitcoin works, or at least be so much open minded to ACCEPT that IT WORKS, even if they can't catch exactly HOW.
Also because, let's face it: IT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.
Most of humanity will not understand HOW Bitcoin works.
They will just use it, like they use cars, refrigerators, smartphones, and all the rest.
My personal opinion is that at least half of humanity would have big problems in understanding the blockchain mechanism, let alone cryptography and all the other stuff.
So, we have to EXPAND our target pool and look for people that will just ACCEPT Bitcoin, and following this, proceed in evangelizing THAT target population.

The main problem is FINDING this type of people, the ones that are not so much into computers or economy, but are enough open minded to adopt Bitcoin.

Of course, even up to here it may be that you didn't read anything too new.

But here comes the plot twist (maybe) Cheesy

How do you find a huge number of people and convince them to use Bitcoin without using a huge amount of resources, time and money?
I may have an answer to this, which also involves another consideration.

HOW do you convince a person that A SYSTEM is working?
You show this person THAT SYSTEM WORKING.
THAT's what we lack at the moment.
The rest of the world see us as "Bitcoin enthusiasts", weirdos that have fallen into some type of scam they have no wish to investigate further.
Or, in the best of cases, "if Bitcoin will become mainstream, I will adopt it, but for now I'm not interested."
People can't understand that we, some hundred of thousand of people scattered around the globe ARE ALREADY THAT SYSTEM.
We have to show them something more CLEAR, something their brains will accept as an irrefutable reality.
Something even SMALLER.
But something that can be easily identified as an ECONOMIC SYSTEM WORKING UNDER BITCOIN.
Or at least a big part of it, like 60 or 70%.
Something that will let these people understand that the thing works, WITHOUT ANY DOUBT.

We are asking to people to replace MONEY, the thing they used since they born, with something completely different.
This is the hurdle. We have to overcome this. We have to show them that their MONEY can be REPLACED with BITCOIN.

Now, when people can't perceive the "Bitcoin enthusiasts" as a system that IS working, we must ask ourselves WHAT they can see, understand and accept as that.
The answer that came to my mind is "a small city".
I think that when a small city will begin to run in large part under Bitcoin, the boom into mainstream will begin.

Not that this hasn't been tried before.
I was so enthusiast when I read about the Island of Mann becoming Bitcoin capital.
That disappeared in nothing. The government may accept Bitcoin for taxes payments, but if you go and look with Coinmap in there, it's a desert. It only means that there was ONE Bitcoin enthusiast in the government building, or a couple, or three. Doesn't matter. The community isn't a good one to accept the thing.
Then I read about the Island of Jersey. That puffed up in nothing as well, despite an association all oriented to promote Bitcoin on the island.

So, is the obstacle insurmountable?
I don't think so.
We only have to find WHERE people are most open minded regarding Bitcoin.
But to do this, there's a hurdle to overcome: as Bitcoin grants some level of anonimity, we don't know which country or city has the most adoption.
So, how to find this location, where people are more open into accepting Bitcoin, and PUSH IN THERE to make that small system fully (or mostly) working on Bitcoin currency?

Bitcoin map is only giving away VENUES that accept Bitcoin.
But, hey! Venues that accept Bitcoin... aren't shop owners the most difficult people to convince into adoption, because they have to add something to their system of payments?
So when you find the city with the most shops accepting Bitcoins, in relation to its population, it's probably the best location where to push Bitcoin adoption.
It means that THAT city is the most open minded regarding Bitcoins and that the effort into creating the Bitcoin system should go there.

So, I scoured a Bitcoin map to find which city has the best ratio of adoption of Bitcoin in its shops, and the result is below.
I didn't check systematically all the cities, I just looked at most promising locations, so if somebody will re-check, he may find something better, but I doubt it.

One last consideration.
People favorable to Bitcoin may not the single most influencing factor into the equation.
Bad economy in that location may as well be important, but I couldn't find a city with as good reception of Bitcoin as Tampa, Florida, in the USA, population 360000.

You would think that countries with bad economy would be first in the list of shops that accept Bitcoins, but unluckily, for some reason, it's not like that.
This may depend on lower income and less smartphones/computers available, or just because their minds are less favorable to accept new things, like the case of Greece seems to show.
Whatever the reason, my opinion is that poor countries DO NOT seem the places where the revolution will begin.

If I was a millionaire, with money to invest and promote Bitcoin (which in turn would come back under growth of Bitcoin value), I would invest in promoting in Tampa, as THIS looks the most Bitcoin receptive city in the world.
So, dudes from Tampa, I'm sure there's quite a number of you in this forum Grin you are the ONES, you are the chosen ones that should put more effort than everybody into spreading the word.
Your city is the one that probably puts less opposition to the thing, and will probably be the first "Bitcoin city" in the world anyway.
So if there's any millionaire in here... try to recruit some fellow Bitcoiner and send him spread the word.
For everybody's goodness and for yourself as well Wink

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nxbKuDItuKWVeQ8zqWgCBBqOxpyZ7CsfOz4gpwGgjCk/edit?usp=sharing

http://bitcoinmaps.info/

P.s.: alternatively, there's Kansas City, that looks very near in open mindedness regarding Bitcoin, but it's 140000 people more population... quite some more work to do!

The only thing we need to do is keep on recommending people around us, whether friends or family, once they get the exact idea of what bitcoin is and how can it help us they would surely start using it, it would take time to trust something that they really don't know but if we guide in the positive way, anything is possible.
PolarPoint

Activity: 672

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 12:02:15 AM

I am slightly disappointed. Such a long post by OP and there is no valid points given in it. Promote bitcoin in Tampa and Kansas City? We want much more than a city to adopt bitcoin. My idea is simple, have more bitcoin ATMs everywhere in the world, and a user friendly app on phones. If people can buy bitcoin easily, more people will buy them for curiosity at first and then discover how easy it is to use bitcoin.
GODLIKE (OP)

LOL what you looking at?

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 08:50:55 AM
Last edit: July 30, 2015, 09:51:23 AM by GODLIKE

I am slightly disappointed. Such a long post by OP and there is no valid points given in it. Promote bitcoin in Tampa and Kansas City? We want much more than a city to adopt bitcoin. My idea is simple, have more bitcoin ATMs everywhere in the world, and a user friendly app on phones. If people can buy bitcoin easily, more people will buy them for curiosity at first and then discover how easy it is to use bitcoin.

2 posts, and both of you couldn't catch the thing, it seems.
I don't want to have Bitcoin JUST in Tampa and Kansas City.
It's clearly written why I identified those cities.

I'll try to summarize here, in hope you will catch it.
1) biggest hurdle to make Bitcoin mainstream: convince them Bitcoin works, without having them understand how does it exactly work
2) how to make people trust in a complex SYSTEM, when they can't understand it?
3) let them see that the system ACTUALLY RUNNING
4) people can't see US, Bitcoin enthusiasts, as a SYSTEM that is ALREADY using the currency
5) they dismiss us as weirdos that are being SCAMMED (otherwise why oh why all the world is not using Bitcoin already?)
6) thus we need to show people a smaller, more identifiable system running on Bitcoin
7) what is the best way to do that?
8 )find the location in the world where Bitcoin has best reception, and convert it as much as possible
9) profit.

Now, you may not agree with this promotional mechanism, but at least I hope that you catched it now.

Quote from: zeraTunerse
The only thing we need to do is keep on recommending

We are ALREADY doing that, I guess, and that's clearly not working that much.
And even if that was somewhat working, what I exposed is a promotional mechanism that could immensely boost Bitcoin adoption through the world.
I exposed the reasoning behind this, if you read carefully you can spot there's some logic behind it.

Nobody says "hey everybody stop spreading the word, just let the guys in Tampa proceed to do all the work".

I just say "This is the location where people look more open minded regarding Bitcoin, it's the best place to evangelize because it's the place where people are more favorable to it. As showing a system running is the best way to convince people that a system WORKS, it might  be a good idea to proceed to convert Tampa instead than any other place on Earth, because people are more open minded towards Bitcoin."
You may not agree with this of course, but in this case you should say the reason.
Because I think it's quite undeniable that one of the best tactics to sell something is to show that the thing is working.
And evidently, showing that Bitcoin is mechanically working is not enough: people must see that there's a place on Earth that runs mostly on Bitcoin, otherwise they won't adopt it, or it will take a lot of time.

BITCOIN FOREVER news aggregator: only the most important news on the cryptoworld!
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2015, 09:41:02 AM
Last edit: July 30, 2015, 09:56:31 AM by LaudaM

Where is the tl;dr version of this?

I am slightly disappointed. Such a long post by OP and there is no valid points given in it.
I'd rather not waste my time, unless OP can either fix his initial post or add a short tl;dr version.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
GODLIKE (OP)

LOL what you looking at?

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 09:49:50 AM

Where is the tl;dr version of this?

I am slightly disappointed. Such a long post by OP and there is no valid points given in it.
I'd rather not waste my time, unless OP can either fix his initial post or add a short version.

He simply couldn't catch what I wrote.
Anyway, there's a "short version" in the following post.

NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 09:54:58 AM

Every aspect of bitcoin should be easy and intuitive to use. That will speed up things most. Currently it feels overwhelming to get started with it..

Maybe you can compare it to MSDOS (bitcoin currently) and windows 7/iOS (bitcoin how it has to become)
Mickeyb

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 10:05:32 AM

1. You simplify the use of Bitcoin to the point that is oversimplified.
2. Continue spreading the word, friends, family etc.
3. You keep innovating and making a rock solid software that will not give up on is.
4. You let the time does its job. Look at Greece, Cyprus etc.
neoneros

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

I can draw your avatar!

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2015, 10:06:22 AM

The thing you can do is team up with some local bitcoin fanatics and make a plan to visit local stores, bars and restaurants, tell them about Bitcoin and make it easy for them to incorporate it into their venue, make 'Bitcoin accepted' stickers for their windows next to the CC and banckcard,  so every customer will see and start to question in their head what bitcoin is, it will grow, slowly but graduatly.

Take it step by step, most countries have a centrel 'where to spend my coins' website, they probably have connections to other cities in which these kind of groups are active, you could go and have a chat about how to go about it in your own town.

GODLIKE (OP)

LOL what you looking at?

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 10:25:15 AM
Last edit: July 30, 2015, 10:39:36 AM by GODLIKE

Every aspect of bitcoin should be easy and intuitive to use. That will speed up things most. Currently it feels overwhelming to get started with it..

Maybe you can compare it to MSDOS (bitcoin currently) and windows 7/iOS (bitcoin how it has to become)

This is a good objection, and I agree with it in part: it's surely more difficult to pay with your smartphone wallet than with paper banknotes.
But try to watch it from another point of view.
Download and install COINOMI on your smartphone (it's the easiest/fastest wallet I know at the moment).
Do you really think that's more difficult to use than any credit card or payment method, apart paper banknotes?
I don't think so.

It's just DIFFERENT: you have to snapshot a picture of the code and... well that's all.

You don't need to know the word blockchain or backup or cold storage or anything else.
Those things can come later.
And with the same wallet from your smartphone you can store your Bitcoin capital onto some well protected webwallet and only keep some Bitcoins for daily use on your portable wallet.

So, yes, using Bitcoin is different from the other forms of payment, of course, but I don't think it's much more complex than most cards.
Coincidence, today I helped a neighbour of mine to buy something with Paypal (he's on his 70s and with all effort he can't really get into how computers and websites work, so he asks me for help quite often). Using Paypal took verification of his email, phone number, connection of his web account with his Paypal card...
With Bitcoin, you don't really need any of this crap.
You could pay at the shop, and you could pay online, and nobody would ask you screens and screens of ID verification that most over 50 can't deal with.

Now for a small thought experiment: imagine that on your smartphone wallet you have no Bitcoins.
It only shows $ or €. Bitcoin doesn't exist.
Now, imagine you go to a shop and buy something, then you bring out your smartphone and pay in $ or € with it.
Have you... felt anything?
Didn't that already... FEEL BETTER?
That's ONLY because you are USED to $ and €.
This proves that the only problem with Bitcoin is that it's a new currency not backed by anybody, it's something people perceive like scam or "not serious", and the only way to overcome this feeling is to prove them that a system RUNS on it.
And the fastest way to build up a small system running on Bitcoin is the one I described in the opening post.

GODLIKE (OP)

LOL what you looking at?

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 10:27:15 AM

3. You keep innovating and making a rock solid software that will not give up on is.

4. Look at Greece?
Nothing happened in Greece, dude, I followed it closely.
40% of greeks NEVER accessed internet.
And THIS is a good place to say: Greece is the WRONG PLACE to advertise Bitcoin, also between your family.
For the simple reason that, with such a bad internet infrastructure or appreciation, there's an additional barrier in its adoption.
Greece will surely NOT be one of the first countries adopting Bitcoin, DESPITE its terrible economic conditions.

2. Ye that happens ANYWAY.

3. Not my task, it's coders and IT task, and this happens ANYWAY as well. Software evolution goes on.

1. What?

GODLIKE (OP)

LOL what you looking at?

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 10:31:08 AM

The thing you can do is team up with some local bitcoin fanatics and make a plan to visit local stores, bars and restaurants, tell them about Bitcoin and make it easy for them to incorporate it into their venue, make 'Bitcoin accepted' stickers for their windows next to the CC and banckcard,  so every customer will see and start to question in their head what bitcoin is, it will grow, slowly but graduatly.

Take it step by step, most countries have a centrel 'where to spend my coins' website, they probably have connections to other cities in which these kind of groups are active, you could go and have a chat about how to go about it in your own town.

Exactly!
What I want to say is that the best place on Earth where you can do that is Tampa, Florida.
And I wouldn't repeat it yet again, but showing an entire small city running on Bitcoin would be the best advertising ever.
I think that when this will happen, the big boom into mainstream will really begin.

Jorge320

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 10:42:41 AM

It's important to keep in mind that adoption will be a slow 'rev up' until it reaches a point of scale that allows it to find it's own space in the market.  The important thing is to keep talking about BTC, showing vendors its benefit, and supporting the businesses that currently accept it.
Denker
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1016

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 10:46:25 AM

We are on a good way regarding this. Give a bit more time and I'm sure we will see several thousands BTC Atms around the globe.

maku
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 10:51:27 AM

4. Look at Greece?
And THIS is a good place to say: Greece is the WRONG PLACE to advertise Bitcoin, also between your family.
For the simple reason that, with such a bad internet infrastructure or appreciation, there's an additional barrier in its adoption.
Greece will surely NOT be one of the first countries adopting Bitcoin, DESPITE its terrible economic conditions.

3. Not my task, it's coders and IT task, and this happens ANYWAY as well. Software evolution goes on.

1. What?
If the greeks have no idea what internet exactly is how do you expect them to embrace bitcoin? That was not the point of this story.
Greek crisis showed people that even with somewhat strong currency they are not safe. Their bank accounts can be frozen, their money grabbed by government.
This is where bitcoin comes on a scene, some people realized that with bitcoin your money will be safer, that is a first step.
GODLIKE (OP)

LOL what you looking at?

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 10:51:51 AM
Last edit: July 30, 2015, 11:05:41 AM by GODLIKE

We are on a good way regarding this. Give a bit more time and I'm sure we will see several thousands BTC Atms around the globe.

Bitcoin ATMs are not convincing anybody that the thing works.
They are only helping people that are convinced of it already to acquire Bitcoins.
It's good, but it's not the topic.
I mean, the topic is about how to CONVINCE people in the shortest possible time and throw Bitcoin in the mainstream adoption.

Bitcoin ATMs will help somewhat when people will begin to WANT to use Bitcoins and not bother to go online or trust online services.
But what we must do first, is having people WANT to use Bitcoin.

Also, I wonder (and you should too) how many people are buying Bitcoins from those ATMs.
As NO DATA is released on the matter, I suspect the number to be very, very low.

GODLIKE (OP)

LOL what you looking at?

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 11:04:04 AM

4. Look at Greece?

1. What?
If the greeks have no idea what internet exactly is how do you expect them to embrace bitcoin? That was not the point of this story.
Greek crisis showed people that even with somewhat strong currency they are not safe. Their bank accounts can be frozen, their money grabbed by government.
This is where bitcoin comes on a scene, some people realized that with bitcoin your money will be safer, that is a first step.

Well, everything goes into the cauldron. Even going around the street with a Bitcoin Tshirt probably helps.

What I can't understand from all the posts that came into this thread is: do you think the tactic I exposed is WRONG or what?

I mean, NOBODY seems to think that what I wrote in the opening thread would be a good tactic to accelerate mainstream Bitcoin adoption.
Everybody posting this and that.
BUT as well NOBODY is discussing my points in the opening post.

To say it better:
1) yes, having ATM around helps
2) yes, talking to your familiars and friends helps
3) yes, going around with a Bitcoin Tshirt helps
4) yes, making even more intuitive software helps

But this thread is a study that tries to find the BEST mid term tactic to help Bitcoin get into mainstream.
Can you say if you find what I wrote in the opening post something... weird? Useless? Maybe working?
Also because, you know, points from 1 to 4 are ANYWAY ALREADY HAPPENING.
And nobody will ANYWAY stop them from happening.
This thread is about WHERE TO POINT MORE EFFORT INTO SPREADING BITCOIN WORD with evangelization, conferences, etc.

Sorry if this seems rude, but I didn't see a SINGLE POST discussing my proposal, and ALL POSTS saying that there's something else going on.
Something else that is NOT a tactic, but just what every single person (me included) is doing probably every day.
I know there's something else going on. I am part of it.
I don't want to gain consensus about the proposal, but at least try to find fallacies in my reasoning, prove it wrong someway, otherwise you are just repeating stuff everybody knows, stuff that will anyway go on, and you are pretty much out of the thread topic.

In other words: can you please tell me what you think about the tactic proposed in the opening post?
Thank you.

AtheistAKASaneBrain

Activity: 770
Merit: 509

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 11:49:46 AM

I don't think there is a specific tactic to follow to increase adoption, it just happens naturally when the time is right. Case in point: In argentina BTC is extremely useful.
In the rest of the world were there arent serious monetary everyday problems we'll have to wait until goverment vanishes cash.
Denker
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1016

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 12:12:49 PM

Bitcoin ATMs are not convincing anybody that the thing works.
They are only helping people that are convinced of it already to acquire Bitcoins.
It's good, but it's not the topic.
I mean, the topic is about how to CONVINCE people in the shortest possible time and throw Bitcoin in the mainstream adoption.

Bitcoin ATMs will help somewhat when people will begin to WANT to use Bitcoins and not bother to go online or trust online services.
But what we must do first, is having people WANT to use Bitcoin.

Also, I wonder (and you should too) how many people are buying Bitcoins from those ATMs.
As NO DATA is released on the matter, I suspect the number to be very, very low.

A lot of things will help to reach Bitcoin's mainstream adoption. The ATMs are one piece of that. And don't underestimate these machines. The more are placed in hotspots of big metrololises the more people will scratch their heads and think what that is cause they see it almost everywhere. And when you as a long user Bitcoin stand in front one of those atms some curious persons might ask you what this is and how it works. And now it's up to you to explain, show and convince them. Wink

Of course this will not happen in 1 or 2 years. The adoption will grow slowly and we have to be patient with average joes. You can not force a process like this to speed up.

We can do what we dow now. Let the devs code and the entrepreneurs build new Bitcoin related companies. Let's continue to make meet ups and conferences and tell your friends and family about it. Make up use cases where Bitcoin shows it's advantages and show it to the people.Experiencing Bitcoin is way better than just explaining it in therory.

And as I said you have to give it time!!!!
GODLIKE (OP)

LOL what you looking at?

View Profile
July 30, 2015, 12:16:28 PM

I don't think there is a specific tactic to follow to increase adoption, it just happens naturally when the time is right. Case in point: In argentina BTC is extremely useful.
In the rest of the world were there arent serious monetary everyday problems we'll have to wait until goverment vanishes cash.

This is very very naive to say... it's like saying that advertising doesn't do anything.
But, you know, each serious advertising campaign examines a TARGET AUDIENCE (just like I did) and elaborates an action plan.

Case in Point, Buenos Aires has got a good number of shops in it, 150... but in relation to population it's a quite low number, as you can see from the spreadsheet I linked.
So you can evince from this that, as I wrote in the first post, the adoption rate of Bitcoin is based not only on the bad economy status of a country, but on other factors. But at this points I suspect you only read some of the lines of my post, as this is explained more extensively in there.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: