Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 10:19:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Wallet Monitor  (Read 2458 times)
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2015, 03:15:01 PM

Anybody know of a good site and or software that can be used to monitor several HD wallets?

I used to make use of this site https://beta.coyno.com but it seems like the site is no longer functional as balances are not updated. Not sure whether its just a temporary problem and or if this project is not going ahead anymore.

What is nice about the site is that you can add the xpub key of several wallets and it then gives you a nice overview of your balances, transactions, balances over time etc...

I've tried Blockonomics but you can only enter single addresses there. The site needs to be able to handle HD wallets.

Any site out there you might know of ?

With Blockonomics you can add multiple address, just separate with (,). They have a nice interface.

I know but that will mean that I need to add a new address each time funds are sent to my wallet and everytime I send funds and have some go to a new change address I will have to add that change address as well. So all I'll be doing the whole day is add more and more addresses. With the site I mentioned you just add your wallets xpub key once and everything is done. The site monitors all addresses in your wallets that have any funds on them. So no need to constantly add new addresses as you use them, the site picks them up automatically.

You can add xpub key to Blockonomics now. If you want to add more than one xpub key, you can separate them using comma or a whitespace.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
thejaytiesto
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1014

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 04:15:43 PM

How safe it is to use HD wallets and to share public master keys to receive payments? I want to get on this, but im too paranoid about doing anything that involves leaving the legacy Bitcoin Core wallet.

Its safe as long as you do not disclose a single private key.

I remember watching a podcast with Andreas Antonopoulos and he mentioned how sharing a private public key might not be that safe, so I have my doubts. Excuse me while I find the podcast.

Edit: I finally found it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPvsTe5bjGs
RustyNomad (OP)

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2015, 04:51:48 PM

How safe it is to use HD wallets and to share public master keys to receive payments? I want to get on this, but im too paranoid about doing anything that involves leaving the legacy Bitcoin Core wallet.

Its safe as long as you do not disclose a single private key.

I remember watching a podcast with Andreas Antonopoulos and he mentioned how sharing a private public key might not be that safe, so I have my doubts. Excuse me while I find the podcast.

Edit: I finally found it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPvsTe5bjGs

You should maybe listen to it again.

He clearly stated that a public key or pub key could be used in a trustless environment, the example he used was on a public server where there was no trust. So there is no risk in sharing such a key. The risk he spoke about was if somebody should make use of a brain wallet type passphrase instead of the seed as we currently use. He explained that it was vital that the seed be protected as that would give access to the main xpub key and thus to the whole wallet, sub wallets, sub accounts and because of that the risk was bigger as every single sub wallet and or account would be compromised just through the leak of the single seed.

Where a xpubkey becomes vulnerable is where one of the private keys within that wallet is known. So never ever give out a single private key to anybody as they will be able to gain access, not easily but it can be done, to the whole wallet in that way. Some may think that its okay to share a public and private key in a sub wallet as that would not affect other wallets/accounts but it could and will compromise any wallet/account derived from the same seed.

When a xpriv key or the master private key is compromised the wallet is compromised and you can lose everything inside. If a xpub or public master key is compromised and gets known then only privacy is compromised because the person who has it can then see every single transaction in that wallet. They can however not make any transactions on that wallet.

The sharing of a xpub key thus has more to do with the risks to privacy than that of the risk of losing funds. Once somebody has your xpub key they can track every single transaction in every wallet/account derived from the same seed. Only way to get past that is to setup a complete new HD wallet with a new seed.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: