Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 09:54:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How to identify Antminer S5?  (Read 2542 times)
Tupsu
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 02:44:24 PM

DHCP is ok for floating devices, or monile/portable - but having DOES management on a larger LAN for a while, it's a NIGHTMARE when you're trying to figure out what the address for a device that FAILED is. MAC addresses are noticeably longer than IP addresses, it's a ton easier to make a mistake reading them - even if you put a note on each machine with the MAC address.

Also, MAC addresses are sorta random (yes, I know about the "manufacturer number" part) while you can assign an IP address yourself in a logical way, like "by rack/shelf/location on shelf" which makes it TRIVIAL to figure out what the address of a failed unit is even if you didn't remember to put a note on it.

Unless you're shifting stuff around a LOT, thre's no REASON to "change an IP" once you've set it. You set it once, it's THERE.

DHCP on a LAN full of non-shifting devices is for the birds.

Why do you have to worry about "various types of interface" when you set a static IP? That seems to be a totally strawman comment.

It seems like you move hardware around a TON more than any network I've ever dealt with, which would make your environment completely different than what I've worked with. My experience is that DHCP makes things a royal PAIN to deal with, STATIC makes them a ton easier.

I use MAC Adress as worker name.
If you  want to sell miner, you have  anyway switch to DHCP before shipping.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
chiguireitor
Legendary

Activity: 872
Merit: 1010

Coins, Games & Miners

View Profile WWW
August 11, 2015, 03:05:34 PM

(Read my responses in a soothing, serene voice, not quarreling here Wink )
Unless you're shifting stuff around a LOT, thre's no REASON to "change an IP" once you've set it. You set it once, it's THERE.

In fact, shifting occurs a lot in my farms... as i tend to sell devices with some frequency. Updating stuff is a lot easier for employees when they only got to unplug the old one and plug the new one and done.

... is for the birds.
... is for the birds.

First time in my life i see this expression!? what does it mean? it sound super funny for a non-native english speaker

QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 10:19:16 PM

It's an expression meaning something along the lines of "only a dumb bird would think this is a good idea".

"Flying into plate glass doors is for the birds" for a particularly illustrative example.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: