Bitcoin Forum
June 03, 2024, 03:56:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Transactions speed prevent us from going to Mainstream ?  (Read 3983 times)
Josef27

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 06:51:02 AM

First of all who would do a double spend on small items. Double spending is no easy task, and with normal fees too you get fast conformations. The alternative is that they introduce microwallets like faucets do. People can transfer funds to those and pay them via micro transactions which don't need conformations. Its matter of when this is going to happen, Bitcoin has all the things which the world needs Smiley
You mean by offchain? Why use cash or credit card instead because it's still a same thing as centralized?
Also now seems hard to trust someone handling the "microwallet" thing for big thing, anything can happen.
S4VV4S

Activity: 1582
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 06:58:29 AM

Could this be the reason , It's like 15-20mn to get at least 1 confirmation if I'am correct ?
Anyway the point is that we need some time to get transactions verified , could this actually prevent us from going to mainstream ?  I mean if you want to buy something from McDonald are you supposed to wait 15mn while that's the time of your launch break ?

When you are buying parking tickets are you also supposed to wait few minuts ?  Huh It wouldn't make any sense .

Honestly , I'am not even sure what controls the speed of the transactions .

Transactions confirmation times shouldn't be a problem.
It does however require third party to confirm the transaction for you.
E.g. Xapo offers a Bitcoin Credit Card.
I don't know how it works but I am guessing, if your account has Bitcoins in it then Xapo will confirm the transaction instantly.
Herbert2020
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1137

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 07:01:17 AM

Could this be the reason , It's like 15-20mn to get at least 1 confirmation if I'am correct ?
Anyway the point is that we need some time to get transactions verified , could this actually prevent us from going to mainstream ?  I mean if you want to buy something from McDonald are you supposed to wait 15mn while that's the time of your launch break ?

When you are buying parking tickets are you also supposed to wait few minuts ?  Huh It wouldn't make any sense .

you are making a minor mistake about transaction speed and confirmation speed. the transaction speed is super fast in matter of seconds but the confirmation speed is longer (minutes).

businesses like McDonald (if they start accepting bitcoin) won't care about the confirmation as long as they see the transaction in their wallet. and in the hundreds of their customers i doubt if there would be even one or two who might scam them and double spend the bitcoin.

Weak hands have been complaining about missing out ever since bitcoin was $1 and never buy the dip.
Whales are those who keep buying the dip.
Thekool1s
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1218

Change is in your hands

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 07:06:30 AM

First of all who would do a double spend on small items. Double spending is no easy task, and with normal fees too you get fast conformations. The alternative is that they introduce microwallets like faucets do. People can transfer funds to those and pay them via micro transactions which don't need conformations. Its matter of when this is going to happen, Bitcoin has all the things which the world needs Smiley
You mean by offchain? Why use cash or credit card instead because it's still a same thing as centralized?
Also now seems hard to trust someone handling the "microwallet" thing for big thing, anything can happen.

No it is not, suppose mc Donald launches there own microwallet, You can fund it, e.g 1 btc in it and when the next time you go, you simply pay by the microwallet instantly, They will be in charge of the microwallets so any losses will be covered by them. How is this linked to centralizing? They can withdraw from it when ever they want, It will be bitcoin no Macbit Tongue
Josef27

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 07:25:32 AM

No it is not, suppose mc Donald launches there own microwallet, You can fund it, e.g 1 btc in it and when the next time you go, you simply pay by the microwallet instantly, They will be in charge of the microwallets so any losses will be covered by them. How is this linked to centralizing? They can withdraw from it when ever they want, It will be bitcoin no Macbit Tongue
If every bussiness use their own microwallet system then, that would be hard for each customer because they have to work hard to depositing each microwallet, and that just make the payments even more confusing.
Of course microwallet is centralized, because the real owner of the bussiness able to control over all of the coins
TrueBeliever

Activity: 78
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 07:32:59 AM

Anyway the point is that we need some time to get transactions verified , could this actually prevent us from going to mainstream ?  I mean if you want to buy something from McDonald are you supposed to wait 15mn while that's the time of your launch break ?

When you are buying parking tickets are you also supposed to wait few minuts ?  Huh It wouldn't make any sense .

Normally it is not required to wait for the confirmation if you are using a service such as bitpay.  Firstly it is not possible to cancel a legitimate btc transaction.  So the payment processor can analyze the propagation of the transaction through the network, if the transaction is not being rejected by nodes and is propagating at an expected rate then it is expected to be confirmed.  So the payment processor can 'approve' a payment in seconds.

In effect the payment processor is using nodes as a transaction validator, the transaction would be rejected by nodes if there was an issue.  The transaction will remain at the nodes to be queued to be added to a block.  The merchant will need to wait until transaction is confirmed before being able to spend the amount.

if the merchant was doing a wallet to wallet transaction with a customer then yes they might wait for confirmation as you pointed out, but in reality merchants are using payment processors - which provide other services including dynamic pricing, instant conversion etc...

██████████    YoBit.net - Cryptocurrency Exchange - Over 350 coins
█████████    <<  ● $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$   >>
██████████    <<  ● Play DICE! Win 1-5 btc just for 5 mins!  >>
Thekool1s
Legendary

Change is in your hands

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 07:33:53 AM

If every bussiness use their own microwallet system then, that would be hard for each customer because they have to work hard to depositing each microwallet, and that just make the payments even more confusing.
Of course microwallet is centralized, because the real owner of the bussiness able to control over all of the coins

But we don't expect mc Donald's to scam Tongue, Ok In that we can say its centralized, But we can always make apps which can manage our microwallets, Like 1 main app which we fund and in there are microwallets of big business and we can manage effectively how much we want to spend on a specific store etc. I think its doable, Bitcoin has every solution as I said Smiley
acquafredda
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1481

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 07:37:20 AM

I also think that transaction speed is an issue at the moment. For everyday spending if one goes to a place and spends very little no one would like to spend much in transactions fees: this lets you wait (how long??) until the transaction is confirmed.

Right now the title of this thread is correct: Transactions speed are preventing us our legitimate growth.

The question is: is there a solution or not?
thebenjamincode

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

37iGtdUJc2xXTDkw5TQZJQX1Wb98gSLYVP

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 07:46:03 AM

Yeah you're right there buddy, that's why i am hoping that bitcoin could change this so that we won't wait very long whenever we would send money to someone. But if this would not be resolve, i am hoping that an altcoin like ripple or stellar would go main stream since it offers very fast transaction speed
Thekool1s
Legendary

Change is in your hands

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 07:52:21 AM

I also think that transaction speed is an issue at the moment. For everyday spending if one goes to a place and spends very little no one would like to spend much in transactions fees: this lets you wait (how long??) until the transaction is confirmed.

Right now the title of this thread is correct: Transactions speed are preventing us our legitimate growth.

Right now the only solution that comes to mind is microwallets by major firms if they want to become scam free. That will cause centralization but it is a solution, But I think its not of a big deal,

Imagine you want to eat out X(famous) restaurant etc tonight, You can transfer funds to the microwallet like few hours earlier and when you go out to dine etc you pay via microwallet no waiting etc. but we will need an wallet which can manage all the microwallets etc to make the process easier.
Thekool1s
Legendary

Change is in your hands

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 07:56:31 AM

Yeah you're right there buddy, that's why i am hoping that bitcoin could change this so that we won't wait very long whenever we would send money to someone. But if this would not be resolve, i am hoping that an altcoin like ripple or stellar would go main stream since it offers very fast transaction speed

You should checkout bitshares. Its a new coin and it has a huge potential intant transactions etc, and it also offers bitUSD, BitEur bitGold and even BitBTC. so you could get paid in USD, Eur while giving away a fee of like 0.0007 Cents even for super huge payments, I recently bought btc via bitUsd and guess what I paid a fees of 0.0007 cents and I received the btc instantly, I too think we need a solution for bitcoin or it cant help and probably alt coins will take over with features like these.

BitBTC I think solves this problem too.
Jace

Activity: 288
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 09:32:36 AM

I'am not supporting Credit cards to be honest and I love bitcoin however CC is reversible indeed but ... there is no double spend like on BTC if it doesn't get verified .
Of course there is. I spend $10 with my credit card in McDonalds. Then I chargeback, thus the payment gets reversed. Or in a way you could say it gets 'unverified' (in fact, a CC payment doesn't even get verified until 6-12 months). Then I spend the same $10 on a pizza. See, I just double spent my $10.

and imagine if the transaction don't get verified at all for a reason or another , it will end up going back to the buyer which will make the seller losing money .
1. It will make the seller losing money just as much as with credit cards or paypal. In fact, with credit cards or paypal it's even worse, because the seller not only loses his money, but also has to pay chargeback or refund fees (enforced by visa/mastercard/paypal, nothing you can do about it).

2. "Imagine if the transaction doesn't get verified", do you have any idea how extremely, immensely, extraordinarily unlikely this is? It just doesn't happen. Especially not without using ridiculous trickery that is very easy to detect (like zero fee, or duplicate conflicting transactions, or tons of dust outputs, etc).

Seriously, try it. You simply won't be able to send a normal transaction and prevent it from being verified.

Feel free to send your life savings to 1JhrfA12dBMUhcgh85wYan6HL2uLQdB6z9
Kazimir
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 09:46:36 AM

I'm surprised there is so much misconception about this Sad

In fact, there is no problem. Bitcoin's transaction speed is about 1-2 seconds. How much faster would that need to be? Bitcoin is already faster than any other payment method on the planet.

Nope, ripple or stellar have similar transaction speed to Bitcoin. Except Bitcoin's network is much, MUCH faster, larger, and more efficient and powerful. Altcoins (including ripple and stellar) don't even come close.

Right now the only solution that comes to mind is microwallets by major firms if they want to become scam free. That will cause centralization but it is a solution, But I think its not of a big deal,

Imagine you want to eat out X(famous) restaurant etc tonight, You can transfer funds to the microwallet like few hours earlier and when you go out to dine etc you pay via microwallet no waiting etc. but we will need an wallet which can manage all the microwallets etc to make the process easier.
Realistically, this is not gonna happen. Besides, having a bunch of 'trusted wallets' or 'major firms' introduces a new kind of 3rd parties or middle men, which is completely against Bitcoin's decentralized nature.

We don't need that crap. We just need everybody to realize that for normal expenses, like paying for dinner at a restaurant, you don't need to wait for a confirmation. Paying with Bitcoin takes about 1 second, and you're done. Simple as that.

Let me stress this again: THERE IS NO PROBLEM.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Insert coin(s): 1KazimirL9MNcnFnoosGrEkmMsbYLxPPob
Mr Moustache

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 09:58:01 AM

I don't think its a problem at all. When you send bitcoin its instant and how many times has the payment never confirmed? It's zero for me. Aren't double spends rare at best?
mallard

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 10:10:52 AM

Because we don't want bitcoin to go mainstream until everyone's grandmothers can easily store their bitcoins.... the current solutions are either unsafe or way too nerdy for mass-adoption.

What do you mean?
Multibit is secure and easy to use, and there are lots of other clients that are also easy to use.
bornil267645

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

AltoCenter.com

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2015, 10:14:42 AM

The Bitcoin Transaction system is still faster than anything else available right now. So I don't think that is the problem. I think most of the service providers do not want to give their users the power of anonymity by allowing bitcoin.

Kazimir
Legendary

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 10:22:40 AM

Because we don't want bitcoin to go mainstream until everyone's grandmothers can easily store their bitcoins.... the current solutions are either unsafe or way too nerdy for mass-adoption.

What do you mean?
Multibit is secure and easy to use, and there are lots of other clients that are also easy to use.
Sorry, but no. As a geek and Bitcoin-savvy user, I like MultiBit a lot, but it's most definitely not ready for mass consumers yet.

If you doubt it, try and get your mother or grandmother to give MultiBit a try. Don't explain things or do everything for her, just let her find out herself. Unless of you have a nerdy (grand)mother (which is cool) she most likely won't figure it out.

The only two wallets I currently consider somewhat "mass audience proof" are Mycelium (Android) and Breadwallet (iOS).

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Kazimir
Legendary

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 12:07:36 PM

I think most of the service providers do not want to give their users the power of anonymity by allowing bitcoin.
Yep. Fortunately, we don't need those service providers (or their consent) to use Bitcoin. There's nothing for them to 'allow'. That's the whole idea of Bitcoin, to become independent of 3rd parties or middle men.

Obviously, the middle men with their current monopoly won't like that. Well, tough luck! The postal services didn't like email either. Technology, bitches! Cheesy

GODLIKE

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

LOL what you looking at?

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 12:22:46 PM

Bitcoin doesn't go mainstream for several reasons, but the worst and more difficult to fight of them is mental inertia.
People don't really know how money work and they keep using it just because they trust it.
At the same time they can't really catch HOW Bitcoin works, and Bitcoin is difficult to trust for a huge amount of people, exactly because they can't understand it.
It will be a slow, slow penetration... as Bill Gates stated: "it's a technological tour de force."

BITCOIN FOREVER news aggregator: only the most important news on the cryptoworld!
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 12:38:56 PM

I think most of the service providers do not want to give their users the power of anonymity by allowing bitcoin.
Yep. Fortunately, we don't need those service providers (or their consent) to use Bitcoin. There's nothing for them to 'allow'. That's the whole idea of Bitcoin, to become independent of 3rd parties or middle men.

Obviously, the middle men with their current monopoly won't like that. Well, tough luck! The postal services didn't like email either. Technology, bitches! Cheesy

yeah but this time isn't only about money, it's about not having the control anymore, i mean from postal service to email, the only difference was the profit involved, in the sense that the postal services hated the new tech because they lost money

but this time it's also because they will lose control, if bitcoin will come off from any third party, like it should be, there will be a much more fierce war
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: