Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 11:07:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Who would you like on a Bitcoin Council that represented the BTC community?  (Read 6304 times)
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1025

View Profile
September 30, 2012, 03:35:16 PM

This is sick.

Now we, the users, can choose between red and blue?

I can predict the next movement: What about a council of ancient and wise users to judge and arbitrate conflicts in the bitcoin world?

Huh Huh Huh

It's not going to work. We just need to keep Bitcoin and its ecosystem the more decentralized and pseudonymous we can.

Well I agree, we do not want to be blue. However you might look at it a different way. Gavin and the like are setting themselves as the king, we should at least organize a Senate...

I would rather not have to do this but our options are not many.

LOL.

Yes, please make a senate.  When you find out that your senate can't make anyone do anything that they don't want to do, and neither can the foundation, will all of you stop bitching about the foundation?

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
El Cabron (OP)
Gnomo
VIP

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 30, 2012, 03:42:33 PM

This is sick.

I can predict the next movement: What about a council of ancient and wise users to judge and arbitrate conflicts in the bitcoin world?

Huh Huh Huh

It's not going to work. We just need to keep Bitcoin and its ecosystem the more decentralized and pseudonymous we can.

Well I agree, we do not want to be blue. However you might look at it a different way. Gavin and the like are setting themselves as the king, we should at least organize a Senate...

LOL.

Yes, please make a senate.  When you find out that your senate can't make anyone do anything that they don't want to do, and neither can the foundation, will all of you stop bitching about the foundation?

Well if all the miners sign up Smiley

Sorry El Cabron, you are banned from posting or sending personal messages on this forum.
Trolling
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=622250.msg7030081#msg7030081
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 30, 2012, 03:49:49 PM

I don't understand why people are so fixated on the governments model of providing a service? Why do you want speak for people who didn't give you their consent to speak for them?

Why can't you just start a for profit service on a voluntary basis. If Bitcoin needs a face, have clients pay for it. If Bitcoin needs vetting businesses, have clients pay for it. If the dev team needs funding, have clients pay for it. And there's no need for a board of directors, or elections, or bylaws or anything like that. You can simply run a business that provides a desirable service for a certain price.

Maybe I get it. Maybe it's harder to get people to pay for something than simply asserting yourself to speak in their name whether they want it or not. Well guess what, harder doesn't make it bad or impossible and easier certainly doesn't make it safe and desirable.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
September 30, 2012, 03:58:45 PM

I nominate Atlas! We need someone who doesn't play by the rules, and is always on the edge to help make those tough decisions.
Mushroomized
Legendary

Activity: 1470

Hello!

View Profile
September 30, 2012, 04:17:29 PM

I nominate Atlas! We need someone who doesn't play by the rules, and is always on the edge to help make those tough decisions.
What about MNW, he doesn't play by anyone's rules, even his own!

hi
stochastic

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 30, 2012, 04:45:03 PM

This is sick.

Huh Huh Huh

LOL.

Well if all the miners sign up Smiley

There should be unions where miners, base users, speculators, exchanges, and developers all set up their own foundations.

Introducing constraints to the economy only serves to limit what can be economical.
Mushroomized
Legendary

Activity: 1470

Hello!

View Profile
September 30, 2012, 04:49:22 PM

Do you mean someone from the community (not from business) in the bitcoin foundation, or a whole new organization?

hi
jimbobway
Legendary

Activity: 1304
Merit: 1014

View Profile
September 30, 2012, 04:51:40 PM

I nominate no one.  I want an anonymous bitcoin council to be created using multisignature transactions.  It will be sort of like kickstarter, but for the advancement of bitcoin.

Basically a site needs to be set up on Tor where people can look at proposals.  Then, people can vote with their money.  If enough money is there for a project idea then the transaction is executed and the funds delivered to the project.  Note that no one needs to be involved with the distribution of money because it's based on multisignature transactions.  That's the whole point of bitcoin.
Raize
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015

View Profile
September 30, 2012, 06:08:25 PM

Might I recommend we follow Heinlein's Moon is a Harsh Mistress? Here's a quote:

I note one proposal to make this Congress a two-house body. Excellent — the more impediments to legislation the better. But, instead of following tradition, I suggest one house of legislators, another whose single duty is to repeal laws. Let the legislators pass laws only with a two-thirds majority... while the repealers are able to cancel any law through a mere one-third minority. Preposterous? Think about it. If a bill is so poor that it cannot command two-thirds of your consents, is it not likely that it would make a poor law? And if a law is disliked by as many as one-third is it not likely that you would be better off without it?

IMHO, it's hard to take any sort of "authority" seriously if they do not adopt this model. If the Bitcoin Foundation isn't going to adopt this model, then the Bitcoin Council, should. Two voting bodies, with nary a representative between.
mufa23
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

I'd fight Gandhi.

View Profile
September 30, 2012, 06:18:23 PM

Hold on! What part of "decentralized" do you guys not understand?! You guys are retarded. You cannot run Bitcoin. You cannot control it.

Positive rep with: pekv2, AzN1337c0d3r, Vince Torres, underworld07, Chimsley, omegaaf, Bogart, Gleason, SuperTramp, John K. and guitarplinker
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 30, 2012, 06:21:26 PM

Hold on! What part of "decentralized" do you guys not understand?!

It's centralized now, so we need to create more "centres" to get something as close to decentralization as possible.
Astro

Activity: 284
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 30, 2012, 06:25:15 PM

I nominate The Real Plato!
kwoody

Activity: 454
Merit: 250

Technology and Women. Amazing.

View Profile
September 30, 2012, 06:51:37 PM
Last edit: September 30, 2012, 07:02:17 PM by kwoody

A Bitcoin Union makes more sense. Unions are founded in an attempt to keep corporate entities in check.
The Foundation appointed themselves, they were not nominated by the majority, even though they suggest some kind of political structure to their Foundation.
Instead, we got an announcement about an announcement, which is almost laughable.
Is there room for impeachment in the bylaws? If not, there should be. Anything short of total transparency on behalf of the Foundation would be grounds for it, IMHO.
Keeping the majority "out of the loop" breeds distrust. Distrust breeds fear. Fear, when instilled in the majority of a community, breeds a moral-driven will against tyranny. If Bitcoin should ever succeed, trust is essential. I for one doubt that the Foundation can be trusted.

Oh, and who would I appoint to this Union...? Anyone whom the majority of the community believes should be there.
The Bitcoin Foundation "tax" of 2.5 Bitcoins for annual membership seems unreasonable, because they do not reasonably represent the majority.
stochastic

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 30, 2012, 07:11:16 PM

I nominate no one.  I want an anonymous bitcoin council to be created using multisignature transactions.  It will be sort of like kickstarter, but for the advancement of bitcoin.

Basically a site needs to be set up on Tor where people can look at proposals.  Then, people can vote with their money.  If enough money is there for a project idea then the transaction is executed and the funds delivered to the project.  Note that no one needs to be involved with the distribution of money because it's based on multisignature transactions.  That's the whole point of bitcoin.

This is not a bad idea but the only way to make it totally anonymous is to randomly select the members of a committee  Maybe have a random lottery to select the anonymous people like the Greeks use to do (minus the anonymous part).

What would the power be of such a committee?

ADDITIONAL ON POWER:
Maybe the committee could be members of each industry union (consumers, speculators, exchanges, miners, and so forth) and the committee is randomly selected from those members.  The committee could then use dues paid by the trade unions to direct public policy on bitcoin with the rest of the world and solve disputes between unions of the committee.

Introducing constraints to the economy only serves to limit what can be economical.
jimbobway
Legendary

Activity: 1304
Merit: 1014

View Profile
September 30, 2012, 07:31:26 PM

This is not a bad idea but the only way to make it totally anonymous is to randomly select the members of a committee  Maybe have a random lottery to select the anonymous people like the Greeks use to do (minus the anonymous part).

What would the power be of such a committee?

ADDITIONAL ON POWER:
Maybe the committee could be members of each industry union (consumers, speculators, exchanges, miners, and so forth) and the committee is randomly selected from those members.  The committee could then use dues paid by the trade unions to direct public policy on bitcoin with the rest of the world and solve disputes between unions of the committee.

Anything involving a committee is centralization.  We want a decentralized bitcoin foundation, a P2P Bitcoin Foundation.  Write some P2P software that has rules built in that is capable of allocating money to top voted projects.  Use smart contracts to enforce rules.

Basically this is a P2P Government, and the possibilities are endless.
CJGoodings

Activity: 322
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 30, 2012, 07:35:00 PM

I nominate Eleuthria (btcguild) & Nachtwind (virtualminer.eu). Also i believe there should be some sort of legal representation within the council just incase things get hairy.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
September 30, 2012, 08:06:05 PM

I nominate Eleuthria (btcguild) & Nachtwind (virtualminer.eu). Also i believe there should be some sort of legal representation within the council just incase things get hairy.

Katz is a no-brainer for legal.

I would further suggest:

Ver: = treasury (track record of due diligence wrt putting funds to work.)
BFL_Sonny: = Pubs (editorial experience with LFC.)
Wagner: = director of recreation.

I officially withdraw my suggestion of Gornick in this org.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2012, 09:05:41 PM
Last edit: October 01, 2012, 01:11:46 AM by adamstgBit

If any one wants an invite to the Bitcoin Business Alliance  ( BBA ) PM me.

Its free and theirs only one requirement really, you contribute to the improvement of  bitcoin.

kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1025

View Profile
September 30, 2012, 09:13:20 PM

If any one wants an invite to the Bitcoin Business Alliance  ( BBA ) PM me.

Its free and theirs only one requirement really, you contribute to the improvement of  bitcoin.

In light of the pandemonium unleashed by the Bitcoin Foundation announcement, aren't you worried that 1) your name makes it sound like you speak for all bitcoin businesses when you clearly do not, and 2) you are excluding individual bitcoin users?

(This is only partly a troll.)

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2012, 09:21:06 PM

If any one wants an invite to the Bitcoin Business Alliance  ( BBA ) PM me.

Its free and theirs only one requirement really, you contribute to the improvement of  bitcoin.

In light of the pandemonium unleashed by the Bitcoin Foundation announcement, aren't you worried that 1) your name makes it sound like you speak for all bitcoin businesses when you clearly do not, and 2) you are excluding individual bitcoin users?

(This is only partly a troll.)

i don't speak for all bitcoin businesses  Huh

I'm just saying some of us chat work together at the BBA   Cheesy

seriously tho we are trying to attack the problem of scamming and fraud in bitcoin...

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: