Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 06:05:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Who would you like on a Bitcoin Council that represented the BTC community?  (Read 6304 times)
Spekulatius
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 30, 2012, 09:47:43 PM

Who would you like on a Bitcoin Council that represented the whole BTC community and it's spirit?

No one. Whoever you nominate no one could live up to the promise. The community is far too diverse for any single entity to cover it all.
What we need is a multitude of different organisations from different backgrounds with different views and interests.
Im happy we already have a couple:

CLAG: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=76216.0
Bitcoin Foundation: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=113400.0
Bitcoin Consultancy (?): http://bitcoinconsultancy.com/

but we need more of them!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2012, 03:26:45 AM

This thread is full of fail.

There will be no Bitcoin Council because it's essentially the same thing as the Foundation was as initially proposed. What remains to be seen if the true colors in this forum take down the now starting BTC Foundation and Bitcoin along with it.  Sad
stochastic

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 03:36:16 AM

There will be no Bitcoin Council because it's essentially the same thing as the Foundation was as initially proposed. What remains to be seen if the true colors in this forum take down the now starting BTC Foundation and Bitcoin along with it.  Sad

I think what people fail to see is that any group of people can create a bitcoin foundation.  Any group of people can raise money to hire developers for bitcoin.  Any group of people can raise money to hire lobbyists to make sure the state keeps its hands off bitcoin.  It does not have to be one group, it can be many.  If you don't like the direction of one group, then go form your own.  Humans are not solitary organisms.  We are social creatures.  If you were not, you would not be on a forum.

I ask, who has more money to waste on a bitcoin council?  A few for profit companies that runs on slim margins, or thousands of individuals that are willing to forgo a latte to instead fund their favorite bitcoin group to achieve their stated goals?

A lot of people, like me, became interested in bitcoin because of the potential cryptocurrencies have in the natural progression of cryptoanarchist and anarcho-capitalist philosophies.  Those philosophies don't say "no government."  Instead they say "voluntary government."  Of course people can act like cats and refuse to form pacts, but don't be sad when the world leaves you behind.

The meek shall inherit the earth; the strong and wise will keep moving.

Introducing constraints to the economy only serves to limit what can be economical.
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2012, 03:59:59 AM

I think the scammers should start a foundation since theres so many of them.

Atlas

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 04:14:43 AM

I think what people fail to see is that any group of people can create a bitcoin foundation.  Any group of people can raise money to hire developers for bitcoin.  Any group of people can raise money to hire lobbyists to make sure the state keeps its hands off bitcoin.  It does not have to be one group, it can be many.  If you don't like the direction of one group, then go form your own.  Humans are not solitary organisms.  We are social creatures.  If you were not, you would not be on a forum.

I ask, who has more money to waste on a bitcoin council?  A few for profit companies that runs on slim margins, or thousands of individuals that are willing to forgo a latte to instead fund their favorite bitcoin group to achieve their stated goals?

A lot of people, like me, became interested in bitcoin because of the potential cryptocurrencies have in the natural progression of cryptoanarchist and anarcho-capitalist philosophies.  Those philosophies don't say "no government."  Instead they say "voluntary government."  Of course people can act like cats and refuse to form pacts, but don't be sad when the world leaves you behind.

What you fail to see is that The Bitcoin Foundation intends to control Bitcoin development as the United States intends to control the Middle East.
stochastic

Activity: 532

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 04:16:46 AM

What you fail to see is that The Bitcoin Foundation intends to control Bitcoin development as the United States intends to control the Middle East.

So form your own foundation to fight back, or are you just going to bitch and moan?

Introducing constraints to the economy only serves to limit what can be economical.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2012, 04:20:06 AM

ahahaha that's sig worthy  Grin
Atlas

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 04:20:56 AM
Last edit: October 01, 2012, 04:32:09 AM by Atlas

There will be no Bitcoin Council because it's essentially the same thing as the Foundation was as initially proposed. What remains to be seen if the true colors in this forum take down the now starting BTC Foundation and Bitcoin along with it.  Sad

I think what people fail to see is that any group of people can create a bitcoin foundation.  Any group of people can raise money to hire developers for bitcoin.  Any group of people can raise money to hire lobbyists to make sure the state keeps its hands off bitcoin.  It does not have to be one group, it can be many.  If you don't like the direction of one group, then go form your own.  Humans are not solitary organisms.  We are social creatures.  If you were not, you would not be on a forum.

I ask, who has more money to waste on a bitcoin council?  A few for profit companies that runs on slim margins, or thousands of individuals that are willing to forgo a latte to instead fund their favorite bitcoin group to achieve their stated goals?

A lot of people, like me, became interested in bitcoin because of the potential cryptocurrencies have in the natural progression of cryptoanarchist and anarcho-capitalist philosophies.  Those philosophies don't say "no government."  Instead they say "voluntary government."  Of course people can act like cats and refuse to form pacts, but don't be sad when the world leaves you behind.

So form your own foundation to fight back, or are you just going to bitch and moan?
I am a lone wolf. I have always been. Social organizing has never been my specialty.

I just bitch, whine and moan until everybody sees the truth. If the community as a whole values the point, it gets done on its own through mass resistance. I believe I serve a role towards my preferred end.

The bitcoinfoundation.org website was or is getting DDOS'd, so I am quite content with how things are now. People are aware and that's all I desire. If everyone is aware it all gets done.

We don't need formal organizations to have everything done in our preferred ways.
Zangelbert Bingledack
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 04:32:24 AM

We want a decentralized bitcoin foundation, a P2P Bitcoin Foundation.  Write some P2P software that has rules built in that is capable of allocating money to top voted projects.  Use smart contracts to enforce rules.

Basically this is a P2P Government, and the possibilities are endless.

Now that is a fascinating idea.
Atlas

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 04:34:02 AM

"P2P" representation exists naturally for any shared goals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leaderless_resistance

You guys think very inside the box.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2012, 04:34:56 AM

We want a decentralized bitcoin foundation, a P2P Bitcoin Foundation.  Write some P2P software that has rules built in that is capable of allocating money to top voted projects.  Use smart contracts to enforce rules.

Basically this is a P2P Government, and the possibilities are endless.

Now that is a fascinating idea.

It will come, someday.
But I doubt it will be part of bitcoin.
bitcorn

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 08:31:03 AM

The more I think of it, the less I want any of this at all. I'm not interested in a council, union, org, or foundation.
bracek

Activity: 530

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 11:06:04 AM

I can be "da regulatr" to all this mess
and will appoint one "coordinatr" to help me

greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 11:34:54 AM

If this is going to represent "the while Bitcoin community and it's spirit" the following persons need to be in there:

- pirateat40
- Bruce Wagner
- Zhou Tong
- Tom Williams (Oops, I had Bruce Wagner in the list already)
- The Bitcoinica Trio
greyhawk

Activity: 938

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 11:41:57 AM

If they start to move in a direction that is "evil" then there will be a large amount of resistance anyway.

Exactly, in a community THIS vocal the chances of TBF doing something the community deems harmful to Bitcoin is practically nil. The shitstorm would be epic.

Look at what an outcry even this one first announcement of their existence has produced. And they haven't even done anything yet.
The_Duke

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

Lead Core BitKitty Developer

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 12:23:37 PM

Look at what an outcry even this one first announcement of their existence has produced. And they haven't even done anything yet.

Of course they haven't. They are waiting for enough members to sign up, so they can start doing what they consider is VITAL to bitcoin: Paying Gavin. Because you have to realise, so far Gavin has been doing ALL of this super hard work for NOTHING! Please forget about the few thousand of coins he's sitting on since being an early adoptor. The fact that this translates to a million dollars means nothing. So far, you thought Gavin was doing this because of his ideals? Or because he felt bitcoin was such an awesome project? Because he liked coding? WRONG. He did it for money. Your money actually, so become a member quickly!

NOT a member of the so called ''Bitcoin Foundation''. Choose Independence!

Donate to the BitKitty Foundation instead! -> 1Fd4yLneGmxRHnPi6WCMC2hAMzaWvDePF9 <-
The_Duke

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 12:34:11 PM

I see nothing wrong with him being paid (tax free) to do solid work. The problem I have with the foundation is that they pretend to represent all of BTC. Their name is misleading.

Will they also be paying the lead developers of other clients? If not, then why not?

Donate to the BitKitty Foundation instead! -> 1Fd4yLneGmxRHnPi6WCMC2hAMzaWvDePF9 <-
The_Duke

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 12:46:28 PM

I see nothing wrong with him being paid (tax free) to do solid work. The problem I have with the foundation is that they pretend to represent all of BTC. Their name is misleading.

Will they also be paying the lead developers of other clients? If not, then why not?

No, because it is not really the bitcoin foundation, it is the "mt gox - bitinstant foundation to pay Gavin tax free to do what they want"

if they just called it something like that, no problem.

Exactly, I think we agree. If they want it to be called "The Bitcoin Foundation", then no devlopers should be paid by them, especially not if said developer(s) will only focus on one client, one sollution and at the same time be under the influence of money-hungry companies who are even in the board of the foundation.
If they do want to have all of that, pick a name that fits it.

Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 01:10:55 PM

If they want it to be called "The Bitcoin Foundation"...

Someone on the forum mentioned great idea what "TBF" stands for - "The Big Fail". I think we should call it this way, it suits better than "The Bitcoin Foundation".
The_Duke

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 01:14:37 PM

If they want it to be called "The Bitcoin Foundation"...

Someone on the forum mentioned great idea what "TBF" stands for - "The Big Fail". I think we should call it this way, it suits better than "The Bitcoin Foundation".

I'd prefer "farce" over "fail" Smiley

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: