Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 12:34:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: NSA KNOWS  (Read 8243 times)
pereira4
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1183

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 10:54:16 PM

No one said it's fully anonymous.
You can push your tx'es anonymously without relaying your IP info. (of course you need cold storage, offline wallet etc).

Yup, but you cannot interact with exchanges because exchanges will know your credentials. Like some said even if you meet irl to exchange btc for cash it's not really anonymous, the guy sees your face
Blawpaw
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1027

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 11:16:22 PM

I think I have to totally agree with you on this one.
Even worst, If the government implements a digital national currency and enforce  its use, then they will be able to make a complete track of all your spendings...
Bitcoin even might be the killer app for keeping track of citizens spendings...

Unfortunately, throughout history we have seen marvelous inventions being turned in weapons of mass destruction...

I beleive that with this technology we will see the same.
Kazimir
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 04, 2015, 11:37:06 PM

How are you exactly going to exchange the Bitcoins into fiat without getting traced?
After putting your bitcoins through a mixer, you can safely transfer them to an exchange.

But more importantly: why the hell would you want to change your precious bitcoins into old fashioned fiat? I'd rather keep my bitcoins, or spend them on shops or services that accept Bitcoin directly.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Insert coin(s): 1KazimirL9MNcnFnoosGrEkmMsbYLxPPob
Trustafarian

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 07:39:58 AM
Last edit: August 05, 2015, 08:13:00 AM by Trustafarian

Regarding the NSA hype and big brother paranoia.
Yes they are trying to have access to anything possible.
But at the end of the day they can only do so much with all their computer power, the reason is it needs human interpretation.
If your BTC addresses (or other crypto ones) are the subject of a major interest/investigation then only will they allocate resources to that particular case.
You just run down to human limitation. Say you are an analyst at the NSA, you are already assigned with tons of materials (Syria, Putin, China) I'm sure that most of it they don't know what to do with, but store it
for some later retrieval usage if required, and it keeps accumulating, they must be overwhelmed with data to interpret but just can't physically do it. Collection is easy, it's human resources the real challenge. There has to be a major coordination between agencies to focus on particular people. Regarding bitcoin, the agencies are focusing their attention at the point of exchange which is a soft target for them. This is why we are having so much trouble with exchanges (licensing) and conversions (fiat-btc-fiat), they know that the Islamic state, Drug cartels etc... if they use bitcoin now or in the future will have to convert. They are putting the burden on the institutions (banks worlwdide), exchanges (companies and owners wordlwide) to do the analysis and report suspicious people/transaction.  Now if some post factum event occurs ie. with the Islamic State, they will allocate their resources to trace back the whole thing, addresses, wallets, exchanges, banks. The banks will be fined, the exchanges will have their licenses revoked and a possible jail time for the owners.
Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 07:47:45 AM

You're wrong,

I bet you used to watch Big Valley like I did when a kid, eh?
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 03:05:47 PM

You're wrong,

I bet you used to watch Big Valley like I did when a kid, eh?

Oh yeah, I had such a little boner for Audra Barkley when I was a kid. lol

The whole NSA plot is so stupid. If any three letter agency wanted to they could focus on Bitcoin and create a lot of trouble here. The NSA focuses and has their hands full watching terrorist groups and individuals. They have no reason to waste time on Bitcoin. Now, the IRS is a different story. They're only worried about the money and Bitcoin is money you could potentially hide from them.

thebenjamincode

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

37iGtdUJc2xXTDkw5TQZJQX1Wb98gSLYVP

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 04:39:59 PM

i use blockchain.info as my bitcoin wallet
can they still spy on me with that?
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 09:11:09 PM

Going through the web make you even more traceable. However if you can register without giving private information, use encrypted email and vpn to connect, you may be able to negate that part.

Still, whenever you interact with websites, wallet to a wallet, you create traceability. You need to wear gloves for everything and the best is to avoid doing anything traceable. The level of anonymity you really need depend on what you're doing and who/where you are, however.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
Abiky
Legendary

Activity: 3234
Merit: 1364

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 10:53:05 PM

I would rather create a paper wallet (and make sure that my pc is offline) and store my Bitcoins in it. That may make it untraceable. I think  Cheesy

█████████████████████████
███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
█████████████████████████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
Razick
Legendary

Activity: 1330

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 11:38:31 PM

I don't think the goal is to hide the fact that Bitcoin is being used, the goal is to be able to keep the specifics of your finances and transactions private.

ACCOUNT RECOVERED 4/27/2020. Account was previously hacked sometime in 2017. Posts between 12/31/2016 and 4/27/2020 are NOT LEGITIMATE.
Razick
Legendary

Activity: 1330

View Profile
August 05, 2015, 11:39:44 PM

I would rather create a paper wallet (and make sure that my pc is offline) and store my Bitcoins in it. That may make it untraceable. I think  Cheesy

If you buy them offline too and even then...

ACCOUNT RECOVERED 4/27/2020. Account was previously hacked sometime in 2017. Posts between 12/31/2016 and 4/27/2020 are NOT LEGITIMATE.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
August 06, 2015, 12:24:20 AM

xD Bitcoins arent actually in a wallet, generating a privkey offline and then sending btc to that address still is going to link the old address with your new offline address. So if the previous address was linked to you, the new one will be too.

You can't send BTC offline, how are you going to send a transaction offline Tongue

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
Patatas
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1115

Providing AI/ChatGpt Services - PM!

View Profile
August 06, 2015, 01:43:29 AM

NSA monitors the internet so basically everything that's on the internet was known by the NSA, even your nudes you uploaded on the web(if there's any)  Tongue
GODLIKE (OP)

Activity: 546

LOL what you looking at?

View Profile
August 06, 2015, 07:37:46 AM

Going through the web make you even more traceable. However if you can register without giving private information, use encrypted email and vpn to connect, you may be able to negate that part.

Still, whenever you interact with websites, wallet to a wallet, you create traceability. You need to wear gloves for everything and the best is to avoid doing anything traceable. The level of anonymity you really need depend on what you're doing and who/where you are, however.

Agree on this.
If you want to do something illegal, it depends on what extent.
In example, if you sell weed, unless you enter the "thousands dollars per month" realm, I don't think that NSA will begin to check your connection, and until you create new Bitcoin addresses, you are safe: nobody can find how you get paid.

But if you plan to do something worse, like, I don't know, importing 300000$ of drugs, I would never, ever use my HOME connection to get my payment throught Bitcoin.
I would use a completely separate device for that purpose, and use it on an open wifi or only turn it on with mobile connection to effect the transfer, then turn it off immediately.
And even then, I would leave that device FAR from my home, because each and every device has its own ID and even if you connect from a public place with your CrapPhone, then you bring that CrapPhone at home, they will identify that it was THAT CrapPhone that connected to THAT wifi and effected THAT transfer. It's like a hot potato.
You wouldn't be safe anyway.

The conclusion is that BANKNOTES are FAR more anonymous than Bitcoin.
If you like Bitcoin because it's anonymous, you are on the wrong way: revert to banknotes.
Bitcoin is only PRIVACY SAFE, but nothing more.

BITCOIN FOREVER news aggregator: only the most important news on the cryptoworld!
Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1617
Merit: 1012

View Profile
August 06, 2015, 08:48:58 AM

I would use a completely separate device for that purpose, and use it on an open wifi or only turn it on with mobile connection to effect the transfer, then turn it off immediately.

One thing I would like to add is that places with open wifi usually have security cameras and you don't want to be caught on video tapping away on your laptop complete with timestamps. You should therefore use your device discretely - try to use it from the public toilet if the signal reaches there. Also wear a disguise as you enter or leave the location.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
August 06, 2015, 03:29:04 PM

One thing I would like to add is that places with open wifi usually have security cameras and you don't want to be caught on video tapping away on your laptop complete with timestamps. You should therefore use your device discretely - try to use it from the public toilet if the signal reaches there. Also wear a disguise as you enter or leave the location.

That's insanely paranoid even if it is the correct information. Jesus Christ what are you people doing, selling heroin to preteens or fucking babies the the park? Why don't you consider being a boring person by doing silly stuff like obeying the law. No one would care about you then. Nothing could be fun enough or profitable enough to make me hide in a stinky shitter to use my laptop.

GODLIKE (OP)

Activity: 546

LOL what you looking at?

View Profile
August 06, 2015, 05:16:32 PM

That's insanely paranoid even if it is the correct information. Jesus Christ what are you people doing, selling heroin to preteens or fucking babies the the park? Why don't you consider being a boring person by doing silly stuff like obeying the law. No one would care about you then. Nothing could be fun enough or profitable enough to make me hide in a stinky shitter to use my laptop.

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy I agree with this, I opened this thread only because I have some people questioning privacy when I set up an initiative to try count Bitcoin users through a Facebook group.
They think the government will finally see them if they join the group  Cheesy Wink
The only thing they are right is that hackers around can see who is involved in Bitcoin, his name and more data.
Problem is, hackers don't care at all about your name when they look for prey.

BITCOIN FOREVER news aggregator: only the most important news on the cryptoworld!
dserrano5
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029

View Profile
August 06, 2015, 05:57:54 PM

Why don't you consider being a boring person by doing silly stuff like obeying the law.

Because laws are so insanely broad and ambiguous that "obeying the law" is slowly becoming as safe as not doing it. Eg. you really don't want to be caught on cam while doing a bitcoin transaction because money laundering.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
August 06, 2015, 06:44:41 PM

Why don't you consider being a boring person by doing silly stuff like obeying the law.

Because laws are so insanely broad and ambiguous that "obeying the law" is slowly becoming as safe as not doing it. Eg. you really don't want to be caught on cam while doing a bitcoin transaction because money laundering.

That's a bit of an exaggeration but when i think about it, its sadly not much of one. The law is open to interpretation, there is a huge grey zone where you can break the law even if you're not, or not be breaking the law even if you are, or should be.

I'm just thankful i'm not in the US, where bitcoin is in a negative legal status. It's much better in Canada.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
bitcoinmasterlord
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1006

View Profile
August 09, 2015, 02:41:50 PM

I think you are correct.

Since Edward Snowden we know that the NSA practically controls and observes any internet connection. They have their fingers on many ISP's and on each internet cable. So they have an easy time to find out who connects to nodes. At the same time they can read when you propagate a transaction. As far as i know transactions aren't encrypted, but even when, the NSA only would need to run a node to encrypt it.

Before the NSA you are an open book. And when they would want they could hack your computer, in most times they only need to click a button to hack you automatically, and freeze your funds.

I think the NSA is happy about bitcoin. When terror is using it more they will have an easier time.

Of course, when you use Tor or something then it is not so easy. But then... did you post one of your addresse? Already they can connect some dots.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: