Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 05:11:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Top 5 Ways Jon Stewart Was Full of Sh*t  (Read 1825 times)
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
August 06, 2015, 02:50:11 PM

Jon Stewart has been a major cultural and political commentator for the past 16 years. He liked to take down the powerful—at least, when his head wasn’t shoved up Uncle Sam’s ass.

As The Daily Show host ends his run, reminisce with Reason TV the top five ways Jon Stewart was full of shit.

http://reason.com/reasontv/2015/08/05/5-ways-jon-stewart-was-full-of-shit

Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2015, 03:32:30 PM

When the daily show started it was just a joke, but it was also a real source of opposition views in the mainstream. Over time the influence of the show became so great it became serious and had to abide by the rules of politics. Eventually John Stewart folded and started openly supporting the democratic party rather than maintaining its previous position of criticizing both parties. As soon as they started supporting the dual party system I lost all respect for John Stewart and The Daily Show. It was still humorous, but it lost the edge and the meaning it once had. Also I found the political cowtowing rather repulsive itself.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2015, 03:55:56 PM

That's exactly how I started feeling about Jon Stewart, I thought the guy was great in his prime, but as the years went by no matter how angsty he might get about it he started towing the political mainstream line far too much when before he would call both sides out on their bullshit. Remember during one of the campaigns how they mocked both Democrats and Republicans at the same time? Gone now, I wonder if it's partly because he was planning on leaving he started playing it safe and going after the easy targets like racists and homophobes.

I am not looking forward to Trevor Noah at all, I suspect he'll be really bad, because as bad as Jon Stewart could get he at least had some self-respect and could admit when he was wrong but oh dear. Thank fuck Top Gear got onto Amazon and Bill Maher is still kicking around otherwise I don't know what we'd all do if we didn't have them calling people out on their bullshit.
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2015, 04:46:16 PM

That's exactly how I started feeling about Jon Stewart, I thought the guy was great in his prime, but as the years went by no matter how angsty he might get about it he started towing the political mainstream line far too much when before he would call both sides out on their bullshit. Remember during one of the campaigns how they mocked both Democrats and Republicans at the same time? Gone now, I wonder if it's partly because he was planning on leaving he started playing it safe and going after the easy targets like racists and homophobes.

I am not looking forward to Trevor Noah at all, I suspect he'll be really bad, because as bad as Jon Stewart could get he at least had some self-respect and could admit when he was wrong but oh dear. Thank fuck Top Gear got onto Amazon and Bill Maher is still kicking around otherwise I don't know what we'd all do if we didn't have them calling people out on their bullshit.

I think what happened was he got far too much political power (which I don't think he was actively seeking) and TPTB gave him an offer he couldn't refuse honestly.

Bill Maher? Really? I consider him a bigger knob and sell out than John Stewart ever was.
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
August 06, 2015, 04:55:05 PM

I think what happened was he got far too much political power (which I don't think he was actively seeking) and TPTB gave him an offer he couldn't refuse honestly.

Bill Maher? Really? I consider him a bigger knob and sell out than John Stewart ever was.

Hello, John Stewart.

You are welcome to respond here on bitcointalk.org and explain why you are full of shit (or why you are not.)

Be sure to explain how much more money someone paid you to act "correctly."  You see, some of us would like to know what the scale of these payoffs are.

Thanks.
ibminer
Legendary

Activity: 1816
Merit: 2787

Goonies never say die.

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2015, 05:03:45 PM

Stewart definitely sold out a bit in his later years, he was still funny though and brought attention to at least some of the idiocracy that comes up, I can't say I agreed with his opinion/spin in every situation, but, without sounding too homosexual, I will still miss him.   Grin

Bill Maher is certainly a knob. Shock Jock Narcissist might be the best way to describe him. He's usually just spouting off at the mouth to soothe his atheistic soul and to bring as many people *down* to his level as possible. Its the only way he can justify his belief system.

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
August 06, 2015, 05:04:42 PM

Hello, John Stewart.

You are welcome to respond here on bitcointalk.org and explain why you are full of shit (or why you are not.)

Be sure to explain how much more money someone paid you to act "correctly."  You see, some of us would like to know what the scale of these payoffs are.

Thanks.

Jon stewart is not a fan of anything NOT controlled by a big government.... But the payoff was good.

Jon Stewart Secretly Met with Obama, Worked ‘In Concert’ with White House

The host of Comedy Central’s The Daily Show Jon Stewart secretly met with President Barack Obama at the White House on at least two occasions, which were followed with on-air attacks on Obama’s political enemies.

Politico’s Darren Samuelsohn wrote his paper’s farewell to Stewart, who is set to retire from The Daily Show next Thursday. He notes that Stewart had an enormous effect on national politics, but sometimes “that effect took the form of either prodding, or working in concert with, the Obama administration.”

Samuelsohn reports that Stewart visited the Oval Office in the fall of 2011 to privately meet with Obama, in the midst of heated budget negotiations. According to former Obama aide Austan Goolsbee, “the president wanted to counter his critics on the left and lay the groundwork for his 2012 re-election campaign.”

In 2014, the president met with Stewart during the early days of the Ukraine crisis. Later that day, Obama announced that there would be harsh consequences for Russia if they continued their aggression towards Ukraine. In his first show after the meeting, Stewart– who had skewered the aggressive cowboy stances of George W. Bush during his presidency– ran an opening segment mocking… Vladimir Putin.

“In a segment titled ‘It’s a Vlad, Vlad, Vlad, Vlad World,’ Stewart giggled as he displayed a picture of the shirtless Russian leader — ‘Heil Titler,’ he joked,” reports Politico. “Then he showed a video of Vladimir Putin at the Winter Olympics in Sochi and wondered if he was ‘even paying attention at the Olympics? … Or did you consider the parade of nations a browsing opportunity?’”

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/jon-stewart-secretly-met-with-obama-worked-in-concert-with-white-house/

He was a TOTAL SELLOUT...

Damiantroll

Activity: 147
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 07, 2015, 06:31:16 AM

I've always hated it when people bring up Jon Stewart in an argument. His viewers (or at least most of them) watched his show to be legitimately informed about politics, but whenever he's wrong about something or he misrepresents something they always bring up the "but he's just a comedian!" defense. People wanted to have their cake and eat it too.

Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
August 07, 2015, 03:18:19 PM

I've always hated it when people bring up Jon Stewart in an argument. His viewers (or at least most of them) watched his show to be legitimately informed about politics, but whenever he's wrong about something or he misrepresents something they always bring up the "but he's just a comedian!" defense. People wanted to have their cake and eat it too.

And that, is the definition of a progressive mind in 2015. I was never a fan of them, although I enjoy their creativity in "liberal" art  Smiley

Now their views has done a 360 and the snake is eating its tail. This will eventually create a paralysis of their philosophy, thanks to a monster they created called micro agression. How many dots there is on a circle? That's the snake right there...

Lethn
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2015, 03:29:29 PM

Bill Maher can be a nob yes, but he's very honest about calling people on the left on their bullshit, especially when it comes to freedom of speech, I can respect a guy for that, Jon Stewart on the other hand I think started shielding political allies a bit too much towards the end.
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2015, 03:41:56 PM

Bill Maher can be a nob yes, but he's very honest about calling people on the left on their bullshit, especially when it comes to freedom of speech, I can respect a guy for that, Jon Stewart on the other hand I think started shielding political allies a bit too much towards the end.

On a scale of bullshit I would put John Steward in a larger pile for sure, but IMO Maher's pile is also exceptionally large and steamy. I have seen him be a political shill for issues many times, just usually with a conservative bend.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
August 07, 2015, 06:38:57 PM

As Jon Stewart wraps up 16 years of hosting The Daily Show Thursday night, one thing is certain: We’re all dumber for his tenure.

Under Stewart, The Daily Show became must-see TV for a segment of the population who considers the mocking of political opponents and their positions to be appropriate discourse, and worse—an acceptable method of news-intake. A 2014 Brookings Institution study found that more people trusted The Daily Show than MSNBC for news.

Headlines such as “Jon Stewart destroys Glenn Beck,” “Jon Stewart demolishes Megyn Kelly and Fox,” “Jon Stewart eviscerates CNN,” “Jon Stewart crushes Dick Cheney” became standard for Stewart’s viral videos. He would pick a target, usually a conservative and frequently a Fox News personality, and would proceed to “destroy,” “demolish,” “eviscerate,” “crush,” and sometimes flat-out “shred” them.

Like a musician lecturing into a microphone onstage, Stewart only permitted one-way mockery. When anyone questioned his opinions and methods, he would say his show was just comedy. In 2013 when it seemed that Stewart was mocking the Obamacare rollout a little too often, he got pushback from his liberal followers. Stewart was quick to point out it was just equal-opportunity joking, and he wasn’t taking a position. He, of course, did not offer similar explanations when hammering President George W. Bush’s policies.

In a famous exchange on the CNN debate show Crossfire in 2004, Stewart called Republican Tucker Carlson and Democrat Paul Begala “partisan hacks” who poisoned the discourse. When Carlson pointed out that Stewart had given a softball interview to John Kerry, whom Stewart admitted voting for, Stewart blew up and said, “You’re on CNN! The show that leads into me is puppets making crank phone calls! What is wrong with you?”

Yet Stewart was exactly the kind of partisan hack he eviscerated. Politico recently reported that not only had Stewart met in secret with President Barack Obama right before big stories were set to hit, but Obama’s aides had also worked with Daily Show writers so that their side of the story was well-represented.

http://time.com/3987151/daily-show-jon-stewart-dumber/

Lethn
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2015, 05:04:45 PM

On a scale of bullshit I would put John Steward in a larger pile for sure, but IMO Maher's pile is also exceptionally large and steamy. I have seen him be a political shill for issues many times, just usually with a conservative bend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SA1bsM2rZVU

Here's Bill Maher getting pissed off at politically correct people and he does it constantly, regardless of your opinions of him the man's for free speech, that much is certain and he frequently gets into fights with people on the left over it.
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2015, 05:23:44 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SA1bsM2rZVU

Here's Bill Maher getting pissed off at politically correct people and he does it constantly, regardless of your opinions of him the man's for free speech, that much is certain and he frequently gets into fights with people on the left over it.

I didn't say he has no redeeming qualities. Stuart has redeeming qualities as well. The moment I see a some one shilling for one party or the other though is the moment I realize they are too simple to understand they are fundamentally the same entity. It is just a question of what flavor you want your shit sandwich to be. Cool ranch shit or BBQ shit?
Trifixion713

Activity: 269
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 05:39:53 PM

I used to like the Daily Show back when Craig Kilborn was the host, they had John Bloom aka Joe Bob Briggs doing God Stuff and the show was pretty funny - then Stewart took the helm and I quit watching.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 03:54:22 PM

TREVOR NOAH’S RATINGS COLLAPSE; DOWN -59% WITH TEENS

Trevor Noah’s “Daily Show” ratings are much more amusing than Trevor Noah. Jon Stewart never had very good ratings. With fewer than 1% of America very tuning in, because they could use him as a bludgeon against the political right, the media turned Stewart into a Potemkin Phenom. Noah’s glaring lack of talent, charm and intelligence has driven his debut ratings even lower.

Despite all the free hype from every corner of the left-wing national media, Noah bombed during his first week with an average of just 1.02 million viewers. That’s down a breathtaking -33% from this same time last year. And at this same time last year we were not in the middle of a historic presidential election delivering all-time high cable news ratings during the debates.

The best news is that young people have abandoned the show in droves. Among teens, the “Daily Show” ratings are down an incredible -59%, from 56k average viewers to just 23k.

Trevor Noah sucks. Everyone knows it. He’s a left-wing extremist like self-proclaimed socialist Jon Stewart, but Noah has no talent. He’s creating the GOP-hating content the national media desperately desire, but the content is so bad, the media isn’t re-running it endlessly.

When CNN isn’t using your left-wing propaganda, you suck like nothing ever sucked in the history of suck.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-hollywood/2015/10/09/trevor-noahs-ratings-collapse-plunge-59-with-teens/

Lethn
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2015, 09:27:41 PM

I'm not surprised at all this happened, I know Jon Stewart has his bad points, but he was always an honest human being and that's what made him so likeable when the left did something extremely shitty he let them know about it most of them time. Trevor Noah on the other hand seems to have the mentality of your average tumblr SJW from what I've seen of him, meanwhile with Jon he'd get into arguments with various left wing networks who thought they could arrogantly lecture him about everything which was always funny to watch.

Actually, I am pretty glad Trevor Noah isn't getting the same ratings, because if he did it would say a lot about the people who watch the daily show.
Wilikon (OP)
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 10:56:46 PM

I'm not surprised at all this happened, I know Jon Stewart has his bad points, but he was always an honest human being and that's what made him so likeable when the left did something extremely shitty he let them know about it most of them time. Trevor Noah on the other hand seems to have the mentality of your average tumblr SJW from what I've seen of him, meanwhile with Jon he'd get into arguments with various left wing networks who thought they could arrogantly lecture him about everything which was always funny to watch.

Actually, I am pretty glad Trevor Noah isn't getting the same ratings, because if he did it would say a lot about the people who watch the daily show.

I liked jon and the way he was making fun of conservatives. He was funny. It was painful. I thought he had that Easy Rider DNA. Really sad he became a 100% 0bama puppet. Bill maher, another one I want to hate, but he is funny and even a broken clock is right twice a day...

That trevor dude, if he wants to stay in the business, needs to be smarter or buy his jokes on Ebay...

Lethn
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2015, 11:04:09 PM

I don't agree with Bill Maher on a lot of stuff especially with economics, but when it comes to feminism and political correctness it's great seeing him tear up people about it, the same goes for when he talks about Islam, the thing about these guys is, even if you don't agree with them, they have their priorities right. In the grand scheme of things getting all pissy about what somebody said to somebody on television is a joke in itself, when it comes to the real stuff like freedom of speech and expression that's what people should be caring about, none of this trivial bullshit.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: