Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 04:40:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: "Why I'm releasing a brainwallet cracker at DEFCON 23"  (Read 6090 times)
bitpump (OP)

Activity: 167
Merit: 101

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 05:29:17 AM
Merited by Financisto (1)

"Why I'm releasing a brainwallet cracker at DEFCON 23"
https://rya.nc/defcon-brainwallets.html
https://twitter.com/ryancdotorg

The 250BTC Brainwallet passphrase was "how much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood"
https://twitter.com/ryancdotorg/status/629862282831511552

Slideshow
https://rya.nc/cracking_cryptocurrency_brainwallets.pdf

Software
https://github.com/ryancdotorg/brainflayer

More details on this topic:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/3g7bpa/brainwallet_shut_down_permanently_due_to/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
electerium

Activity: 179
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 05:45:20 AM

this is actually like unbelievably horrible, and troublesome.

I remember when i first read about brainwallet on reddit I thought: that's like really scary, but cute, a lot of people will fall for using it.

It never occurred to me that not only could people end up with the same passphrase, but that you could actively scan the entire blockchain and just start brute forcing for brain wallets with easily gussed passphrases.

What's most concerning are that there are people who are ALREADY running botnets on the blockchain, and today any 5 char passphrase gets auto extracted in seconds.

most poignant:

"Brainwallets make the Blockchain a
public password hash database"
AgentofCoin
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 05:47:26 AM

The 250BTC Brainwallet passphrase was "how much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood"

It is surprising to me that people who are knowledgeable enough about Bitcoin/bitcoin to know what a brainwallet is,
don't choose more complex phrases, especially when their bitcoins are at higher risk of theft, compared to a standard privatekey.
The "how much wood could a woodchuck..." saying or whatever it is considered could be chosen by tens of people, in theory.
With millions of users in the future, that one would pop up hundredths of times.

Good luck with your presentation.

I support a decentralized & unregulatable ledger first, with safe scaling over time.
Request a signed message if you are associating with anyone claiming to be me.
electerium

Activity: 179
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 05:54:13 AM

people whove used brainwallet should sha256 their passphrase immediately and move the coins to something more secure.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2015, 06:08:59 AM

alot of smart people recommended that you should not use a brainwallet.

thanks to the reseacher. actually he is a whitehat  Smiley

@AgentofCoin

that is truly a bad brainwallet  Roll Eyes

findftp
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1006

Delusional crypto obsessionist

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 11:51:00 AM

people whove used brainwallet should sha256 their passphrase immediately and move the coins to something more secure.

Uhm, you're joking right?
cellard
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1250

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 12:35:23 PM

Damn, how I didn't think about that one? there's probably a lot of money being held with simple ass phrases like that, people just don't take their security seriously enough. Hopefully with time they will learn.
CelestialWalrus

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 12:38:00 PM

I've tried guessing some of them, but this one is just... wow. I've never found anything actually.
Kazimir
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 12:38:15 PM

I have a LOT of bitcoins stored in brainwallets, and I feel perfectly safe about it.

I think brainwallets are very secure, provided that you REALLY understand what makes strong input for a brainwallet, and what doesn't.

For example, I use Sha2562(master key + passphrase) where "master key" is a long, complex, impossible to guess password that I also use for e.g. Keepass. And the passphrase (it's actually a phrase, not a word) is something I can remember easily, but is still kinda hard to guess. Together, I feel very confident that nobody on earth is ever going to guess or brute force it.

With Sha2562 I mean something similar to Sha256d (double Sha256) which Bitcoin uses, but instead of Sha256(Sha256(x)), I use Sha256(x+Sha256(x)).

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Insert coin(s): 1KazimirL9MNcnFnoosGrEkmMsbYLxPPob
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 04:14:48 PM

I have a LOT of bitcoins stored in brainwallets, and I feel perfectly safe about it.

I think brainwallets are very secure, provided that you REALLY understand what makes strong input for a brainwallet, and what doesn't.

For example, I use Sha2562(master key + passphrase) where "master key" is a long, complex, impossible to guess password that I also use for e.g. Keepass. And the passphrase (it's actually a phrase, not a word) is something I can remember easily, but is still kinda hard to guess. Together, I feel very confident that nobody on earth is ever going to guess or brute force it.

With Sha2562 I mean something similar to Sha256d (double Sha256) which Bitcoin uses, but instead of Sha256(Sha256(x)), I use Sha256(x+Sha256(x)).

Yes.  However, it seems most people don't REALLY understand that.  It seems simple and obvious to
an informed person, but it is not to the layperson, even when explained.

In another thread, we were discussing probabilities and someone remarked "I don't understand all this fancy math"
when there was no math involved except multiplication and perhaps exponentiation.

When you're smart/informed/talent, its easy to overestimate the abilities of others.  So,
I get why brainwallets aren't recommended and even in your situation, the entropy can
only be estimated but not measured directly.

I just use electrum although I do believe in theory that you're right.  If you truly know
what you're doing, you can create a strong brain wallet.

Mickeyb

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 09:35:48 PM

Come on man, people who know how to choose good passwords and store them correctly while using brainwallets are as safe as using other "normal" wallets. I have seen so many stupid missuses with the wallet.dat files so far that are as bad as bad brainwallet passwords.

This means nothing, if people are using brainwallets, they are not less safe automatically.
EternalWingsofGod

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 09:53:23 PM

With the issues of setting up an intelligent brainwallet, it makes sense that people would be better off not creating them unless aware and capable of securing them however if the wallet is unused and abandoned a few treasure troves are available for grabs.

Someone didn't think that over.

coinableS
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1179

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2015, 10:48:29 PM

I have no plans on ever using a brainwallet when there are much more secure ways to store my coins.
If I did decide to use one for some crazy reason I would include a salt and a separator symbol.

"Im@b34v3r^how^much^wood^could^a^woodchuck^chuck^if^a^woodchuck^could^chuck^wood"

jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 10:53:08 PM

the really sad part is that this nursey rhyme is maybe forever ruined for the victim.

Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1617
Merit: 1011

View Profile
August 08, 2015, 11:47:53 PM

Next we'll hear about some moron using as a passphrase "peter piper picked a peck of picked peppers".
GermanGiant

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 09, 2015, 12:08:03 AM

As it seems, the Github source code of the brainwallet.org has also been taken down. Does anyone know about a copy of that repository ?
Herbert2020
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1137

View Profile
August 09, 2015, 12:47:00 PM

i don't mean to be harsh but honestly if the passphrase of the brain wallet was "how much wood..." the owner deserves to lose 250BTC and more.
the first thing that the brainwallet itself in the password field suggests is not to use popular phrases.
https://www.google.com/search?q=how+much+wood+could+a+woodchuck+chuck+if+a+woodchuck+could+chuck+wood

there is even a film with the same name for gods sake!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_Much_Wood_Would_a_Woodchuck_Chuck_(film)

Weak hands have been complaining about missing out ever since bitcoin was $1 and never buy the dip.
Whales are those who keep buying the dip.
manselr
Legendary

Activity: 868

View Profile
August 09, 2015, 03:49:30 PM

I think this is a good thing. We must be exposed to all of the possible Bitcoin and Bitcoin related stuff flaw's as early in the game as possible. Imagine if this happened 10 years from now. Now we can afford taking big losses and big mistakes because we can fix them without much impact, since we are still very early on.
bitcoinmasterlord
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1006

View Profile
August 09, 2015, 04:08:34 PM

It is surprising to me that people who are knowledgeable enough about Bitcoin/bitcoin to know what a brainwallet is,
don't choose more complex phrases, especially when their bitcoins are at higher risk of theft, compared to a standard privatekey.
The "how much wood could a woodchuck..." saying or whatever it is considered could be chosen by tens of people, in theory.
With millions of users in the future, that one would pop up hundredths of times.

Good luck with your presentation.

That is unbelieveably. With that amount of coins on it it must have been an experienced bitcoiner. That he made such an error makes it hard for me to feel pity for him.

Guess bitcoiners don't actually need to know about security.
Financisto

Activity: 632
Merit: 768

BTC⇆⚡⇄BTC

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2015, 02:40:29 PM

The facts of this research are outstanding...

That's why I only rely on KDF (scrypt, bcrypt and PBKDF2), never fast hash functions (SHA family etc) for this purpose (Brainwallets).

Thanks for your educational work! The community just gets stronger with it!

LIST • ESCROW providers • Ranking & Scores available!LIST • FOSS BrainwalletsBTC ⇆⚡⇄ BTCBTC aka BTC: 16MBvhaJoRBxW3Vk6apnvz3UYT9HAgraVS ⚡ PGP: 2680207AA9A1B69FE7A033D80DE0F221074384C4 ⚡ If you think freedom matters, please support the development of these privacy projects→DONATE some sats: TailsQubes OSWhonixVeraCryptPicocryptKryptorSimpleX Chat
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: