Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 05:17:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What are the chances Bfl. Basic. Avalon. Etc use the same gear?  (Read 3222 times)
psilan (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 07:16:01 PM

Possible?
Same pcb/chip maker, all hitting similar specs.

dip
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 07:42:11 PM

They're not all the same specs. We know the SC Single is 60GH/s @ ~60W, with 8 chips. That's 7.5GH/s @ ~7W per chip.

As for all the other manufacturers, it's unknown how many chips they will each use, and at what power consumption.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
ChipGeek

Activity: 198
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 10:05:03 PM

Very unlikely in my opinion.

Tip jar: 1ChipGeeK7PDxaAWG4VgsTi31SfJ6peKHw
quasarbtc

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 06:30:26 AM

Odd that they all came in with a 60 GH/s model. Is there a magic marketing reason for this value?
regular

Activity: 297

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 12:17:53 PM

60 first cropped up probably because the Avalon  makers wanted a 50% boost over BFL's initial single offering.
Desolator

Activity: 392

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 05:53:19 PM

Considering that Intel facilities cost about $40 billion each and smaller chip manufacturers aren't all that much cheaper, I'd say the odds that the same chip fabricator is making all of their chips is approximately 100%.
mufa23
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

I'd fight Gandhi.

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 06:50:58 PM

I'd say about tree fiddy

Positive rep with: pekv2, AzN1337c0d3r, Vince Torres, underworld07, Chimsley, omegaaf, Bogart, Gleason, SuperTramp, John K. and guitarplinker
crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 06:55:42 PM

Considering that Intel facilities cost about $40 billion each and smaller chip manufacturers aren't all that much cheaper, I'd say the odds that the same chip fabricator is making all of their chips is approximately 100%.
You're gonna compare Intel to BFL? BFL only makes a handful of products, and  they all use the same chip. Cablepair only makes 2 products, and they both use the same chips.

thebaron

Activity: 434

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 06:57:51 PM

You're gonna compare Intel to BFL? BFL only makes a handful of products, and  they all use the same chip. Cablepair only makes 2 products, and they both use the same chips.

They're also on the cutting edge of technology. The manufacturing process that is being used for the ASIC chips is several generations old.
abeaulieu

Activity: 295

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 09:40:18 PM

He wasn't comparing BFL to Intel. He was saying that the production facilities that ASICs are made in are extremely expensive. Thus there aren't a huge amount of them (increasing odds), and there are even less of them that have the capability to do smaller lithography that they need to achieve the high density (further increasing odds). (that's at least how i interpreted it).
Desolator

Activity: 392

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 02:34:42 PM

I wasn't exactly comparing them, as BFL does not make chips.  They sort of implied they do but now they claim they weren't referring to the chips.  They admit their chips are made in Asia.  Taiwan if I'm not mistaken and that's where most of them are.  You can probably count the number of high end and/or custom chip manufacturing plants in the world on 2 hands.  It's just that they sell to one company that sells to another that sells to another that sells to BFL.  The same goes for Marvell and Phision and SiS and even Samsung for example.  I think maybe Nvidia owns their own chip fab plant but I wouldn't be surprised if they actually didn't.
Sitarow
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1047

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 05:03:56 PM

I wasn't exactly comparing them, as BFL does not make chips.  They sort of implied they do but now they claim they weren't referring to the chips.  They admit their chips are made in Asia.  Taiwan if I'm not mistaken and that's where most of them are.  You can probably count the number of high end and/or custom chip manufacturing plants in the world on 2 hands.  It's just that they sell to one company that sells to another that sells to another that sells to BFL.  The same goes for Marvell and Phision and SiS and even Samsung for example.  I think maybe Nvidia owns their own chip fab plant but I wouldn't be surprised if they actually didn't.

Maybe the 2nd gen ASIC's will be "more" custom then these first gen.
crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 05:15:54 PM

I wasn't exactly comparing them, as BFL does not make chips.  They sort of implied they do but now they claim they weren't referring to the chips.  They admit their chips are made in Asia.  Taiwan if I'm not mistaken and that's where most of them are.

Can you link to this new information? I havn't heard of anything like that.

abeaulieu

Activity: 295

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 05:19:33 PM

You typically don't have another generation unless you screw up. That's the point of ASICs. You hard wire everything within, create the masks and manufacturer processes and then you have incredibly complex chips that have a sizable upfront cost but very low production cost. Contrary to what a lot of people thing you can design ASICs to accept some parameters, which makes them in a way re-programmable (this is bounded by what you design into them though). It's also quite popular to include in the ASIC a processor like an Arm8 or something. (I don't think BFL is doing this based upon looking over the layout they released a couple weeks back).
Borzoi

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 06:18:07 PM

You typically don't have another generation unless you screw up. That's the point of ASICs. You hard wire everything within, create the masks and manufacturer processes and then you have incredibly complex chips that have a sizable upfront cost but very low production cost. Contrary to what a lot of people thing you can design ASICs to accept some parameters, which makes them in a way re-programmable (this is bounded by what you design into them though). It's also quite popular to include in the ASIC a processor like an Arm8 or something. (I don't think BFL is doing this based upon looking over the layout they released a couple weeks back).

Not so much difficult.  Expense largely in size of die and count of layers.  Many runs of small size that use netlist can share common layers and only etch custom code in one layer.

Mask much simpler this way.  I do not think any of current makers have sales to do any method other than this.

This is most common of ways of making ASIC from FPGA prototype.  I do not think there has been enough time to create four or five layer mask just for mining bitcoins.  Is too expensive in start up costs to go that way.

Could be wrong.  It happen once before.  Grin
Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2012, 06:36:51 PM

The probability is exactly zero that anyone but BFL is using our chips, since ours are 100% original proprietary IP.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
Testit

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 06:59:24 PM

Yes of course they are using different chips/pcb design. Why do you think all the hush hush is all about.
psilan (OP)

Activity: 364

View Profile
October 05, 2012, 07:19:30 PM

The probability is exactly zero that anyone but BFL is using our chips, since ours are 100% original proprietary IP.

100%? :-)

Yea, it is China...

dip
Inaba
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2012, 08:07:03 PM

Yes, 100%

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
Inaba
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 05, 2012, 10:04:06 PM

Well, I guess that depends on what your definition of "all" is ... But for the commonly accepted definition of 100% original IP, I would say yes.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: