Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 02:24:47 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How to help people with Bitcoin?  (Read 1305 times)
MoorChael (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 09, 2015, 08:12:01 PM

I am far from a Bitcoin expert, but I believe in it's potential. I have a small amount of Bitcoin. I've used various on-line and local wallets. I've also written some code for basic website/wallet integration. Recently, during a phone call with a friend, I was asked to explain to a smart but "non-technical" person how to get his first Bitcoin.

While thinking out loud as to the "easiest" way to start out with Bitcoin - which wallet to use, which website/service for buying it - I realized that going from no Bitcoin knowledge to a wallet with a Bitcoin in it is not trivial. It's not like someone simply handing you a dollar bill for instance.

After trying to explain how to download and install a wallet, then wait a day for it to sync with the blockchain, I eventually said to simply use an on-line wallet at first. As for buying a Bitcoin, I explained meetups and LocalBitcoins.com, but those both required either driving into the city, or depositing cash into someone's bank account. The other option was an exchange which required a wire transfer along with sending a copy of a driver's license. By the time I got to options like purse.io for buying Amazon gift certificates then swapping them for Bitcoin, he was over it. I was told, "Never mind, but thanks anyway."

While I'm sure that a more knowledgeable person would have been able to do a much better job than I, I am sure that many other Bitcoin enthusiasts have had similar experiences.

In the end I realized that I should have just offered to come over, walk the guy through setting-up a simple on-line wallet, and have the guy give me cash for one of my Bitcoins (I could simply buy another one to replace it).

This brings me to the point of this thread. I know that there are a lot of people out there, curious about Bitcoin, but not willing or able to get over the initial hurdles of figuring out how to store it (or spend it for that matter), and actually exchanging money for something that you're confused about.

I am thinking of being a beginner's Bitcoin consultant of sorts. I could explain their wallet options over the phone or skype, walk them through getting it set-up, then meet them (locals) somewhere near their home to exchange Bitcoin directly in a non-intimidating environment. I don't expect to make much (if any) money (at least initially anyway). I was thinking of a flat consulting/convenience fee of $20 to $40, or something like that. I don't know if something like this is even feasible - I realize  that as a business model, there's very little upside and no scalability.

At this point, I really just want to help people get into Bitcoin, and make some/any money in the process if I can. In addition, this would be a way to get into the market so to speak, which at this point is really payment enough for me.

The main points would be:
1. A real person to answer your questions, and help with wallet set-up/installation.
2. Friendly cash/Bitcoin transactions close to home (unlike LocalBitcoins which are all downtown, at least in this area).

Here are my questions:
1. Do you guys think this type of service would be appealing to anyone?
2. Do any of you know of something like this already available?
3. It's still a sort of rough plan, do any of you have your own ideas on ways for refine it?

Any ideas, questions, or insights would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
czechkid

Activity: 167
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 09, 2015, 08:27:08 PM

Just got to say one thing..
This will be good when bitcoin gets out of the computer/nerd/developer/etc... Community..

So go for it Smiley
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
August 09, 2015, 08:31:24 PM

Hmm. I'd say pitch that they can simply register a card to Circle.com, set an amount and done. You have BTC and its in a wallet.

Then maybe explain for regular usage you can avoid fee by going the decentralized and true route. And god, you can recommend SPV wallets. Takes a min to sync and doesn't fill your hardware with its blockchain.

You can try to make a for dummy service but err, meh. I'm not sure someone who doesn't want to take a bit of time to understand at first should try to get into BTC anyways.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
harrymmmm

Activity: 576
Merit: 503

View Profile
August 09, 2015, 09:16:42 PM

I'm not sure someone who doesn't want to take a bit of time to understand at first should try to get into BTC anyways.

I disagree. There's a trivial amount of downside to screwing up on a test.

Think about how we all learned to deal with cash. We watched, we asked questions, then we got some and jumped straight in with small amounts. I think bitcoin is no different.
Jeremycoin
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1003

𝓗𝓞𝓓𝓛

View Profile
August 09, 2015, 09:33:05 PM

1. Do you guys think this type of service would be appealing to anyone?
I think yes, but do not expect to get a lot of money.
Logically, how can people pay you to explain about a new thing that "risky".

faucet used to be profitable
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
August 09, 2015, 09:39:24 PM

I'm not sure someone who doesn't want to take a bit of time to understand at first should try to get into BTC anyways.

Think about how we all learned to deal with cash. We watched, we asked questions, then we got some and jumped straight in with small amounts. I think bitcoin is no different.

I think it is and i don't think its comparable. You learn how to spend your cash, how not to spend your cash. You don't need to learn the the physical mechanic of spending cash; it is *take* and *hold in hand and give over*.
Bitcoin is technical, it require a minimum computer skills and a minimum of awareness to not get screw over, because it does not work mechanically like "Cash" and you need to understand the concept of how it work. It can do things Cash can't and cannot do things Cash can.

If the person you are talking to isint interested in learning the concept of how it works, he shouldn't be using it. At least until he decide to open his mind and grasp his head around it. Sadly looking at older generation of people, no matter what you do, some people just consciously/unconsciously decide not to put effort into new things. So trying to enable it "for everyone" in its current state is pointless. When/if BTC is integrated to bank and they can just transfer funds like they do now, then only then will it be "for everyone".

If he need to do a one time thing through Bitcoin, hold hand services such as previously mentioned at OP or Circle.com can come in handy. But you can't just hold everyone's hand all day everyday, because that is what you would need.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
harrymmmm

View Profile
August 09, 2015, 09:53:44 PM

I think it is and i don't think its comparable. You learn how to spend your cash, how not to spend your cash. You don't need to learn the the physical mechanic of spending cash; it is *take* and *hold in hand and give over*.
IMO bitcoin is the same. People are still spinning the yarn that bitcoin is too technical to use, but that's been incorrect since phone wallets arrived.

Bitcoin is technical, it require a minimum computer skills and a minimum of awareness to not get screw over, because it does not work mechanically like "Cash" and you need to understand the concept of how it work. It can do things Cash can't and cannot do things Cash can.
'mechanically'? Like clicking a couple buttons on your phone wallet?

You do not need to know how bitcoin works under the hood. You treat it like a tv. No clue how it works, but people use them all the time.

People learned ho w to use cards by trial and error. Again starting with small tests. Bitcoin is the same.

If the person you are talking to isint interested in learning the concept of how it works, he shouldn't be using it.
So people shouldn't use cards or cash until they understand how central reserve banking and vis/mastercard back ends work?

At least until he decide to open his mind and grasp his head around it. Sadly looking at older generation of people, no matter what you do, some people just consciously/unconsciously decide not to put effort into new things. So trying to enable it "for everyone" in its current state is pointless.
You don't seem to realize it's already enabled for everyone. Lol.
If they don't want to use it, that's fine, but the best way to find that out is to let them try. Like cards. In fact, even like cash.

When/if BTC is integrated to bank and they can just transfer funds like they do now, then only then will it be "for everyone".

If he need to do a one time thing through Bitcoin, hold hand services such as previously mentioned at OP or Circle.com can come in handy. But you can't just hold everyone's hand all day everyday, because that is what you would need.
Why would that be needed? Do you need someone to hold your hand every day to watch tv?
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
August 09, 2015, 10:03:44 PM

IMO bitcoin is the same. People are still spinning the yarn that bitcoin is too technical to use, but that's been incorrect since phone wallets arrived.

You do not need to know how bitcoin works under the hood. You treat it like a tv. No clue how it works, but people use them all the time.

People learned ho w to use cards by trial and error. Again starting with small tests. Bitcoin is the same.

If the person you are talking to isint interested in learning the concept of how it works, he shouldn't be using it.
So people shouldn't use cards or cash until they understand how central reserve banking and vis/mastercard back ends work?

At least until he decide to open his mind and grasp his head around it. Sadly looking at older generation of people, no matter what you do, some people just consciously/unconsciously decide not to put effort into new things. So trying to enable it "for everyone" in its current state is pointless.
If they don't want to use it, that's fine, but the best way to find that out is to let them try. Like cards. In fact, even like cash.

When/if BTC is integrated to bank and they can just transfer funds like they do now, then only then will it be "for everyone".

Why would that be needed? Do you need someone to hold your hand every day to watch tv?

No i'm saying you don't need to understand how centralized money system work. You do for Bitcoin. You can't just take Bitcoin with your hand and give it to someone else. You can't just say Oops i want my money back.
I specified Mechanically, not technically or under the hood. I'm not sure you're understanding what i'm referring to.

Looking at your replies. Did you even read what i'm referring to? What OP said? Because i'm referring to what OP said and you're not OP. In fact, did you even read what i said?

You're taking phrases out of context and throwing random text at it and replying "you say X" when the text you quoted is "i say NOT x". Moving on.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
harrymmmm

View Profile
August 10, 2015, 04:34:59 AM

No i'm saying you don't need to understand how centralized money system work. You do for Bitcoin. You can't just take Bitcoin with your hand and give it to someone else. You can't just say Oops i want my money back.
I specified Mechanically, not technically or under the hood. I'm not sure you're understanding what i'm referring to.

And I say you don't need to understand the tech to use bitcoin. Are you saying that you do?

Perhaps I'm not understanding your 'mechanical'. Maybe you should more clearly define what you mean then.
I assumed you meant to highlight the physical nature of cash as opposed to the digital nature of bitcoin.
Looking at your replies. Did you even read what i'm referring to? What OP said? Because i'm referring to what OP said and you're not OP. In fact, did you even read what i said?

You're taking phrases out of context and throwing random text at it and replying "you say X" when the text you quoted is "i say NOT x". Moving on.

Example please, or it's not there.
zero01

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 10, 2015, 05:00:01 AM

I think we can help someone with our bitcoin exchange into money and donate it Smiley ...
novadragon

View Profile
August 10, 2015, 05:51:42 AM

maybe we can help someone with bitcoin we have, perhaps by donating or exchange bitcoin us with something useful for others
flock123

View Profile
August 10, 2015, 06:21:09 AM

we can start to collect our bitcoin and make businesses that can employ them  Smiley
The Last Choice

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
August 10, 2015, 06:46:26 AM

donate it Smiley ...
Agree.

It's the best way to help other people without know them.
Kprawn
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1074

View Profile
August 10, 2015, 06:51:03 AM

People are VERY lazy..... In the last couple of months I have setup loads of wallets as demo's to get people to use Bitcoin. I have also sold some of my Bitcoins to people {with a extra bit of commission for me, to cover my costs and effort}

They usually take between $50 to $100 worth of Bitcoin at the start to test it out, and then they start asking for more... This is when I direct them to other methods of

acquiring Bitcoins on their own. {DO NOT keep on spoon-feeding them, or they will never learn and you will not get rid of them} I think one-on-one help is the best way to

get people to start using Bitcoin. {There is so many ways to do it wrong in the beginning and people then lose money and turn against Bitcoin}

THE FIRST DECENTRALIZED & PLAYER-OWNED CASINO
.EARNBET..EARN BITCOIN: DIVIDENDS
FOR-LIFETIME & MUCH MORE.
. BET WITH: BTCETHEOSLTCBCHWAXXRPBNB
.JOIN US: GITLABTWITTERTELEGRAM
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
August 10, 2015, 02:50:23 PM

People are VERY lazy..... In the last couple of months I have setup loads of wallets as demo's to get people to use Bitcoin. I have also sold some of my Bitcoins to people {with a extra bit of commission for me, to cover my costs and effort}

They usually take between $50 to $100 worth of Bitcoin at the start to test it out, and then they start asking for more... This is when I direct them to other methods of

acquiring Bitcoins on their own. {DO NOT keep on spoon-feeding them, or they will never learn and you will not get rid of them} I think one-on-one help is the best way to

get people to start using Bitcoin. {There is so many ways to do it wrong in the beginning and people then lose money and turn against Bitcoin}

I agree. However from my personal experience, when holding hands, people usually keep asking for more hand holding. And the second i direct them to easy and legit way to hold their wallet and obtain BTC on their own, they just go back to buying stuff off Amazon Prime.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
irfan01

Activity: 112

View Profile
August 14, 2015, 11:33:47 AM

perhaps you can redeem bitcoin money and give it to those who need it Smiley
ikydesu

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

fb.com/Bitky.shop | Bitcoin Merch!Premium Quality!

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2015, 11:43:25 AM

People who not familiar with computer science is too lazy to learn about bitcoin, first thing you need to explain or showing to them the method of Bitcoin surplus than compare with fiat method and give them an amount to try how Bitcoin works.
People is interested when they can earn free money, then explain to them to how earn Bitcoin is.
alva5763

Activity: 451
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 14, 2015, 02:53:41 PM

One point is to get those who know either nothing or very little about bitcoin to actually trust and believe in the currency.
btc-facebook
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 14, 2015, 02:54:44 PM

On my area no one ever heard about bitcoin. I'm do not know why this happen. Is it bitcoin is not commercial enough ? or maybe someone still hard to trust to bitcoin since AFAIK bitcoin's value still unstable. But we can try to take attention by helping others with bitcoin for example : I have charity and some of my bits , I donated for homeless. I'm not rich man but my friend always ask me, Why are you so generous ?  Grin
I'm answered : bitcoin help me out  Smiley
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
August 14, 2015, 03:15:22 PM

I talked about Bitcoin to my Granpa yesterday. It was like explaining that the sky isint blue at first. It went through after a bit but really, it take a certain mind to be able to wrap your mind away from your pre-conception and unto something different.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀