Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 02:49:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin is beggining to get "bad" publicity...  (Read 9201 times)
unk

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 02:24:29 AM

i'm not sure what your point is. 'Because I couldn't possibly have read Nozick already and found his arguments to be insufficient' was surely ironic, not factual.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Anonymous

June 04, 2011, 02:27:56 AM

For a professional academic, you sure know how to give such frivolous issues your time and energy. Haha.
MacFall

Agorist

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2011, 02:28:12 AM

My point was that Nozick didn't defend libertarian ideas very well at all in my opinion. I suppose I didn't make that clear.

No king but Christ; no law but Liberty!

Fledge Press: Pro-Liberty Fiction and Art
1JBmYmG2U5ETj8BXZUBCXDKWCQcFoERBNP
stillfire

Activity: 124
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 04, 2011, 03:00:42 AM

Given your criticism against MacFall I think it is fair and proper that I am a little direct. If MacFall hadn't read Nozick, what did he mean exactly when he said he "... found his arguments to be insufficient to overcome objections ... obvious ... without even having read the ... rebuttals"? Where did he 'find' these arguments do you suppose?

Since your response was unrelated to what MacFall actually said, it would seem you had not actually fully read what he wrote before you criticised his reading comprehension. An honest mistake I'm sure, but I found it amusing given the circumstances.

Lost your wallet password? Try Stillfire's Password Recovery Service.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2011, 12:37:09 AM
Last edit: February 09, 2015, 06:09:22 AM by iCEBREAKER

My point was that Nozick didn't defend libertarian ideas very well at all in my opinion. I suppose I didn't make that clear.

Shocked  Are you seriously trying to find fault with the late, great Robert Nozick on a bitcoin msg board completely full of info-anarchist and cyber-libertarian types?

OH NO YOU DIDN"T!!!  

Nozick was a professional logician and philosopher.  His Ultimate Defense of Liberty (a book called Anarchy, State, and Utopia) won the Book of the Year award.  How many vastly-influential bestsellers have you put out.  My guess would be 'zero.'

How long have you been a tenured Harvard professor?  Oh that's right you don't even teach at the local podunk junior community college.  

Yet, you disrespect the accomplishments of your superiors, via appeal to your own glorious Jesus-drenched personal opinion.  If you intended to persuade anyone besides yourself that your opinion is more than a gnat compared to Nozick's elephant, citing something besides your knee-jerk reaction would be advisable.

You keep name-checking Nozick and claiming to have understood his argument, while seeing through its fatal flaws with your monotheist death-god annointed vision.  But there's no reference to anything that Nozick wrote, only to his name and your amazing secret discovery of his hidden weaknesses.

And you wrap your inordinate self-regard in Christian superstitions, which you proudly display on your electronic sleeve.  How typical.

I've had enough of ignorant Fundy hicks insulting great men of mind such as Prof. Nozick.  It's time to push the personal criticism squarely back, onto both the mouthy, semi-educated liberal polisci hacks and the blue-nosed bumpkins who, while normally enemies, waste no time when uniting to disparage and attack brilliant thinkers like Nozick and libertarianism in general.

How often are you called upon to defend individual freedoms from hideous, terrible statist monsters like the incomprehensible John Rawls?  Probably never, because you're simply not up to the task.

"Anarchy, State, and Utopia" is one of the best books ever written.  That's why it's required reading for so many university classes (unlike anything you have or ever will have produced in your entire life).

With immense clarity and articulation, Nozick laid out and rigorously examines the case for the minimal night-watchman state with the practiced, orderly precision of a sushi chef.  

Then he proceeds to gut, fillet, and serve both stinking anarchist and Holier-than-though do gooders, like the mating pair of poisonous pufferfish they are.

When you try to tear down a great historical figure like Nozick, who is so much more respected and beloved than your entire family tree will ever be, using only negative feelings and emotional poo-pooing, it tells us far more about you than him.

I'd love to see you spend just ten minutes struggling as you try and read one his more technical books on the perennial mysteries, such as "Philosophical Explanations."  

Your simplistic, fable-filled head would explode on contact which such a dense tome of critical thinking.  All you would know is that you can always one-up anyone by saying "Well I put God on top of that."

But whatever, not everyone is cut out to live "The Examined Life" of a philosopher.  That's why the superstitious version of religion (you know, the one that makes dumb asses feel qualified by mere Falwellian faaaaayyyyth to disregard anything beyond their limited comprehension as 'unconvincing') is so popular.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
MacFall

Agorist

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2011, 01:00:30 AM

Appeals to authority, unfounded assumptions, ad hominems, and non sequiturs abound in the above post. Oh, and name-calling. Considering that plus the amount of vitriol, I suspect trollage. And badly done trollage at that. Go back to YouTube.

No king but Christ; no law but Liberty!

Fledge Press: Pro-Liberty Fiction and Art
1JBmYmG2U5ETj8BXZUBCXDKWCQcFoERBNP
shady financier

etcetera

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 10:00:45 AM

Shocked  Are you seriously trying to find fault with the late, great Robert Nozick on a bitcoin msg board completely full of info-anarchist and cyber-libertarian types?

OH NO YOU DIDN"T!!! 

Nozick was a professional logician and philosopher.  His Ultimate Defense of Liberty (a book called Anarchy, State, and Utopia) won the Book of the Year award.  How many vastly-influential bestsellers have you put out.  My guess would be 'zero.'

How long have you been a tenured Harvard professor?  Oh that's right you don't even teach at the local podunk junior community college. 

Yet, you disrespect the accomplishments of your superiors, via appeal to your own glorious Jesus-drenched personal opinion.  If you intended to persuade anyone besides yourself that your opinion is more than a gnat compared to Nozick's elephant, citing something besides your knee-jerk reaction would be advisable.

You keep name-checking Nozick and claiming to have understood his argument, while seeing through its fatal flaws with your monotheist death-god annointed vision.  But there's no reference to anything that Nozick wrote, only to his name and your amazing secret discovery of his hidden weaknesses.

And you wrap your inordinate self-regard in Christian superstitions, which you proudly display on your electronic sleeve.  How typical.

I've had enough of ignorant Fundy hicks insulting great men of mind such as Prof. Nozick.  It's time to push the personal criticism squarely back, onto both the mouthy, semi-educated liberal polisci hacks and the blue-nosed bumpkins who, while normally enemies, waste no time when uniting to disparate and attack brilliant thinkers like Nozick and libertarianism in general.

How often are you called upon to defend individual freedoms from hideous, terrible statist monsters like the incomprehensible John Rawls?  Probably never, because you're simply not up to the task.

"Anarchy, State, and Utopia" is one of the best books ever written.  That's why it's required reading for so many university classes (unlike anything you have or ever will have produced in your entire life).

With immense clarity and articulation, Nozick laid out and rigorously examines the case for the minimal night-watchman state with the practiced, orderly precision of a sushi chef. 

Then he proceeds to gut, fillet, and serve both stinking anarchist and Holier-than-though do gooders, like the mating pair of poisonous pufferfish they are.

When you try to tear down a great historical figure like Nozick, who is so much more respected and beloved than you're entire family tree will ever be, using only negative feelings and emotional poo-pooing, it tells us far more about you than him.

I'd love to see you spend just ten minutes struggling as you try and read one his more technical books on the perennial mysteries, such as "Philosophical Explanations." 

Your simplistic, fable-filled head would explode on contact which such a dense tome of critical thinking.  All you would know is that you can always one-up anyone by saying "Well I put God on top of that."

But whatever, not everyone is cut out to live "The Examined Life" of a philosopher.  That's why the superstitious version of religion (you know, the one that makes dumb asses feel qualified by mere Falwellian faaaaayyyyth to disregard anything beyond their limited comprehension as 'unconvincing') is so popular.

Lol Grin

You an me, we certainly don't agree about politics, but I did enjoy that^. Wink

1G8AUgSTAw8hfatNnDHuYEqBAUzC3qvAAL

Bitcoin news: http://thebitcoinsun.com/

Rapidlybuybitcoin here.

The value of goods, expressed in money, is called “price”, while the value of money, expressed in goods, is called “value”. C. Quigley
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  

Jump to: