Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 10:22:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Counter Announcement to The Bitcoin Foundation  (Read 3395 times)
acoindr (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 02, 2012, 11:38:23 PM

I need to write this up, but this should take care of the problem. Stay tuned. Coming likely tomorrow.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Gavin Andresen
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2012, 11:40:52 PM

No, no, no: to do it right, you "accidentally" slip a hint to a reporter a month before you launch....

(to the humor-impaired:   Wink   )

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
acoindr (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 02, 2012, 11:46:38 PM

No, no, no: to do it right, you "accidentally" slip a hint to a reporter a month before you launch....

I think you're right. If you ever "lose it" with programming, you might consider PR. Wink
kwoody

Activity: 454
Merit: 250

Technology and Women. Amazing.

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 12:22:09 AM

Announcements about announcements are bad, mmk?
acoindr (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 12:52:24 AM

mkay. Just trying to ease people's mind over the pandemonium this has caused, mkay?
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2012, 02:36:30 AM

mkay. Just trying to ease people's mind over the pandemonium this has caused, mkay?

mkay  Wink

fyi..saying "this should take care of the problem." without saying what this or the problem actually is.

If anything, you made people more nervous

Thats why Gavin was making fun of you.

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
acoindr (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 02:47:11 AM

mkay  Wink

fyi..saying "this should take care of the problem." without saying what this or the problem actually is.

The problem is the uproar caused with the launch of a "Bitcoin Foundation" - a move toward centralization of something supposed to be decentralized. (See 50 plus pages here)

And Gavin isn't making fun he's having fun Wink
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2012, 02:54:06 AM

mkay  Wink

The problem is the uproar caused with the launch of a "Bitcoin Foundation" - a move toward centralization of something supposed to be decentralized. (See 50 plus pages here)

Yup, I've been reading and responded at least 2-3 times on every page, so that means 150+ responses just in that thread.

I would not say its an uproar, its more like Atlas and a few haters. You will agree once you see the amount of members and donations.

Some people like Hazek actually bring up good points with certain issues in the foundation we need to work out and fix.

The haters are trollers say "ahhh foundation centralization ahh" when the smart people actually have good points and want to make it better.

So basically, your creating an announcement to ease the nervousness of the trollers...

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2012, 03:08:24 AM

TBF has far more noise around it than it deserves from both sides. Please stay in your thread or have your own sub forum.
I really had enough announcements and talking for a bitcoin-year now. When is bitcoincard coming? When is bitcoinwireless coming? When will my hair-dresser accept bitcoin? I don't care about announcements of announcements about committees dedicated to the discussion of designing foundations or not. Just do it.

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
acoindr (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 03:10:18 AM

Yup, I've been reading and responded at least 2-3 times on every page, so that means 150+ responses just in that thread.

I would not say its an uproar, its more like Atlas and a few haters. You will agree once you see the amount of members and donations.

Some people like Hazek actually bring up good points with certain issues in the foundation we need to work out and fix.

The haters are trollers say "ahhh foundation centralization ahh" when the smart people actually have good points and want to make it better.

So basically, your creating an announcement to ease the nervousness of the trollers...

You may have been reading, but perhaps not hearing? It's not "haters". What is there to hate upon? Everyone that would be reading this forum would likely want Bitcoin's success, so why oppose something supposedly working in that direction? It's because of actual concern, not trolling. Even you yourself said you agree with hazek about cause for concern, so I'm not really sure how we're not connecting:

Ah, the crux of the issue remains. I fear down the road this self imposed spokesperson, policy setting, business vetting, intertwined with corporate interest body will get corrupted and try and direct the for the most part ignorant user base to their advantage while you on the other hand have faith the community will be smart and vigilant enough to keep you in check.

Well then as long as the general electorate is the one of which we must now expect vigilance, I'm all calmed down and happy, especially since this works out so well in today's political systems. /this last part was a bit of sarcasm, not mean spirited of course, just for illustrating purposes

Why we needed this foot in the door for bad stuff to be possible to happen I will never understand.

No no, don't be sarcastic, because I agree with you.

(It only took us 38 pages to see each others points lol, partly my fault)

Of course this is a total real fear, one I have myself. You said it perfectly "self imposed spokesperson, policy setting, business vetting, intertwined with corporate interest body will get corrupted and try and direct the for the most part ignorant user base to their advantage"

This is totally a real threat, and a very scary one indeed. If this is what you were getting at, Im sorry for not seeing it earlier.

So basically, how do we protect the foundation from something like this?

Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2012, 03:48:54 AM

TBF has far more noise around it than it deserves from both sides. Please stay in your thread or have your own sub forum.
I really had enough announcements and talking for a bitcoin-year now. When is bitcoincard coming? When is bitcoinwireless coming? When will my hair-dresser accept bitcoin? I don't care about announcements of announcements about committees dedicated to the discussion of designing foundations or not. Just do it.

We just added instant banking transfers from 27 new countries on BitInstant.com

UK, Poland, South America, ect..

No announcement yet because testing

Feel free to give it a try  Grin

You may have been reading, but perhaps not hearing? It's not "haters". What is there to hate upon? Everyone that would be reading this forum would likely want Bitcoin's success, so why oppose something supposedly working in that direction? It's because of actual concern, not trolling. Even you yourself said you agree with hazek about cause for concern, so I'm not really sure how we're not connecting:

Sure, but no one knows what your announcement is so the connecting will happen there  Wink

Sub'd and eager!

giszmo
Legendary

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2012, 04:27:13 AM

We just added instant banking transfers from 27 new countries on BitInstant.com

UK, Poland, South America, ect..

No announcement yet because testing

Feel free to give it a try  Grin

I would if Chile was on the list.

WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 08:33:28 AM

Is this the big October announcement?
The_Duke

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

Lead Core BitKitty Developer

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 08:50:14 AM

+1

NOT a member of the so called ''Bitcoin Foundation''. Choose Independence!

Donate to the BitKitty Foundation instead! -> 1Fd4yLneGmxRHnPi6WCMC2hAMzaWvDePF9 <-
IIOII
Legendary

Activity: 1153
Merit: 1012

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 12:06:43 PM

As an official TBF hater and troller who just can utter a mere "ahhh foundation centralization ahh", I just wanted to add some art to this thread:

URSAY
Legendary

Activity: 1946

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 12:48:57 PM

I don't think everyone questioning this is a troll.

I've met Charlie and Gavin both in person. 

Gavin gave me his card but when I emailed him regarding a huge project that would help Bitcoin I got no response.

Charlie's "open offices" are not as open as he always mentions.  I had tried to meet with him recently regarding this pro Bitcoin project and the offices were always too busy.  I believe I tried meeting with him in person for about a week before I gave up.

MTGOX?  Used them before.  They leaked my info and wanted more.  I know better then to get GOXXXED.

Who helped me with this pro Bitcoin project?  BitPay was super friendly and available.

I'm a reasonable guy.  I'm not sure where the hesitation comes from with Charlie and Gavin but it's enough to have me wondering about their motives.  My project was very well funded (in the millions) and would of helped Bitcoin grow...there was no money in it for me but maybe some money for BitInstant.

Additionally, so I don't come come off like a total prick... haha...

I'd like to add that I'm very thankful for Gavin's work on the Bitcoin project and BitInstant is a great service that I enjoy very much.  Perhaps this is all a misunderstanding.

davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2012, 01:20:05 PM

I feel really neutral about this foundation. Good for Gavin if it pays him a salary.
As far as I'm concerned it's definitely not the face of Bitcoin or whatever, Bitcoin never had and never will have a face.

I'm personnally not criticizing this venture, grown-ups make the corporations they want after all, with the goals they want to pursue and aren't accountable to this community. On the other hand I'd appreciate this being treated as it should, a service announcement, not something that's going to bring "great stability to Bitcoin". I find it a little weird that one day Gavin wants to be demoted from his global mod position, and the next one he yells at hazek for wanting to move the TBF thread into service announcements.

Still, I wish the foundation, and Gavin personnally, good luck and much success!

Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2012, 01:49:16 PM

I don't think everyone questioning this is a troll.

Charlie's "open offices" are not as open as he always mentions.  I had tried to meet with him recently regarding this pro Bitcoin project and the offices were always too busy.  I believe I tried meeting with him in person for about a week before I gave up.

This is simply not true.

Forgive us if you try to come during meetings, ect.. but we also have a business to run.

However, people are here all day and just show up, everyone is always invited.

If you wanted to stop in, just do the same, or email rachel@bitinstant.com to do so.
Your claim is inconsistant with what you said, and simply does not make sense.

PM me directly because I have no idea who you are.

-Charlie

giszmo
Legendary

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2012, 02:01:44 PM

I find it a little weird that one day Gavin wants to be demoted from his global mod position, and the next one he yells at hazek for wanting to move the TBF thread into service announcements.

Link? All the TBF-stuff went TLDR too fast.
Moving TBF to service announcement sounds like a good step to calm the waves a bit although I understand it hurts each and every service provider to see his baby being moved out of the spot light. instawallet for example was granted that prestigious spot forever while others get moved quickly.

I suggested before to have some consistent rule for that and maybe this case makes my suggestion clearer. Lets move all service announcements to that forum after a predefined time please. My suggestion would be two weeks.

ɃɃ
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 02:33:52 PM

Stand back everyone, I've got this one:

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: