Bitcoin Forum
June 26, 2024, 11:18:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 44% of the network already switched to 8M blocks  (Read 3485 times)
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3514
Merit: 6177

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 08:04:20 PM

Well you aren't answering my main question which is Lightweight wallets , what is going to happen to those and why should I switch fast . I'am not using Bitcoin Core anymore anyway and the big question will I lose my BTC ?  Bitcoin XT bitcoins = Bitcoin Core bitcoins or not ?

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 08:19:24 PM

to be clear : if i see bitcoin XT on bitcoin.org ... i switch because the majority of the developper are agree to fork.
that's why bitcoin XT have no official page ... except on github or others linked website.

a developper that it haven't bitcoins to buy a serious domain to handle question traffic ... is not a key to touch the majority.
dropt
Legendary

Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 08:21:53 PM

Well you aren't answering my main question which is Lightweight wallets , what is going to happen to those and why should I switch fast . I'am not using Bitcoin Core anymore anyway and the big question will I lose my BTC ?  Bitcoin XT bitcoins = Bitcoin Core bitcoins or not ?

As far as I understand Bitcoin core BTC are the same as XT BTC until XT pushes its first block larger than 1MB.  At that point XT BTC are different than core BTC.  Whichever chain grows faster becomes the valid chain and valid BTC.  Your SPV wallet compatibility depends on whether the SPV server you're using is using XT or core.
fonsie

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 08:23:57 PM

When the time is there and it will fork, don't go making transactions until the dust has settled and you will be fine.

I decided to no longer use a signature, because people were trolling me about it.
fonsie

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 08:25:46 PM

to be clear : if i see bitcoin XT on bitcoin.org ... i switch because the majority of the developper are agree to fork.
that's why bitcoin XT have no official page ... except on github or others linked website.

a developper that it haven't bitcoins to buy a serious domain to handle question traffic ... is not a key to touch the majority.

Why would you let the core devs decide what will happen? YOU should decide.

http://xtnodes.com/
https://bitcoinxt.software/ (will be up shortly)

I decided to no longer use a signature, because people were trolling me about it.
dothebeats
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 1353

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 08:51:12 PM

Lite wallets or spv wallets rely on their servers on which chain are they using. So if, for example, xt gained 75% of the votes, all clients must switch to xt and your spv server should change too for your transactions to be valid across the network. If the 75% of the votes for xt is not yet achieve, nothing will happen.
fonsie

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 09:04:24 PM

It seems microsoft is also in favor of bigger blocks
https://getaddr.bitnodes.io/nodes/23.102.177.120-8333/

NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 09:06:44 PM

Didn't they already say that there would be no hardfork before 2016 anyway? I wouldn't worry too much, this is more like a voting round. The presidential seal will be switched months from now...
fonsie

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 09:09:43 PM

Didn't they already say that there would be no hardfork before 2016 anyway? I wouldn't worry too much, this is more like a voting round. The presidential seal will be switched months from now...

Yes

Requirements:

- date>2016
- consensus > 75%
- above two should remain for 2 weeks

Then bigger blocks are allowed.

OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 09:10:40 PM

As far as I understand Bitcoin core BTC are the same as XT BTC until XT pushes its first block larger than 1MB.  At that point XT BTC are different than core BTC.  Whichever chain grows faster becomes the valid chain and valid BTC.  Your SPV wallet compatibility depends on whether the SPV server you're using is using XT or core.

What the actual hell Shocked
Basically if I have right now 0.1 BTC , I won't have anything on XT later ? since you said at some point they won't be the same ... If this happens won't bitcoin just die ? I mean every signe bitcoiner will use their coins

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
fonsie

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 09:11:15 PM

It seems microsoft is also in favor of bigger blocks
https://getaddr.bitnodes.io/nodes/23.102.177.120-8333/

I still don't get why some people are against bigger blocks.

Same reason that some people are against bitcoin, "brain damage"

fonsie

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 09:12:18 PM

Basically if I have right now 0.1 BTC , I won't have anything on XT later ? since you said at some point they won't be the same ... If this happens won't bitcoin just die ? I mean every signe bitcoiner will use their coins

NO, you will have 0.1 btc on bitcoinQT and 0.1 btc on bitcoinXT.

Alley
Legendary

Activity: 910

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 09:13:32 PM

Just so its clear for everybody XT and core are the same coins right now.  No coins are changed that were made before a fork.  Only after the fork do you need to be cautious of where you get your coins.
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 09:15:49 PM

Just so its clear for everybody XT and core are the same coins right now.  No coins are changed that were made before a fork.  Only after the fork do you need to be cautious of where you get your coins.

@fonsie too .
and when we are supposed to switch exactly , informations should be make in public and stuff right ? I'am afraid I miss that and my coins get ruined

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
fonsie

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 09:16:18 PM

NO, you will have 0.1 btc on bitcoinQT and 0.1 btc on bitcoinXT.

Yes, you'll double your money, for free!  Isn't it exciting?

You don't seem to be understanding the concept. But it's OK, you're still NEWBIE.

fonsie

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 09:20:20 PM

@fonsie too .
and when we are supposed to switch exactly , informations should be make in public and stuff right ? I'am afraid I miss that and my coins get ruined

Nothing will hapen before 2016 at the least, so still plenty of time for you to get familiar with the whole concept.

Keep an eye on https://getaddr.bitnodes.io/nodes/?q=70010, those nodes are running and willing to accept bigger blocks.

Erdogan
Legendary

Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 09:26:29 PM

It's not happening yet, 44% is just a vote, but could happen soon. And if one of the two competing blockchains won't die quickly, ouch... Wink
If I were holding bitcoins now, I'd choose (temporarily) the safety of fiat. I even cancelled my low bids, just in case this turns ugly... Cool

The losing chain will disappear in hours.
redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 09:28:47 PM

I think it is a good thing. More trouble more power ! It is only about decentralization (we are free to do whatever we want in the bitcoin world, so we are free to use (or not use) the bitcoin core version/bitcoin xt version Wink).\
Erdogan
Legendary

Merit: 1005

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 09:31:07 PM

And I expect every server owner to state if they switch or not.
Alley
Legendary

Activity: 910

View Profile
August 11, 2015, 09:33:04 PM

I'd rather explain Biff forking the 1955 timeline with the almanac then try to explain a bitcoin fork here.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: