Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 06:31:13 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The EFF's damage to Bitcoin continues.  (Read 13206 times)
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 08:26:15 AM

If they can't tolerate people having their own perspective, that's just too damn bad.

The fucking irony.  You're the poster child for being unable to tolerate people having their own perspective - you label them "threats" to Bitcoin.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
Atlas

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 08:29:28 AM

If they can't tolerate people having their own perspective, that's just too damn bad.

The fucking irony.  You're the poster child for being unable to tolerate people having their own perspective - you label them "threats" to Bitcoin.

I do accept their perspective. I just won't accept their potential actions and influence.
TheBible

Activity: 125
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 08:32:24 AM

I do accept their perspective. I just won't accept their potential actions and influence.

You delete their posts.  We've all seen your wiki.  Anything you disagree with you simply silence.  You never even attempt discourse, you just delete.  You silence others to make your own views the only ones heard.  You're a fascist.
Atlas

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 08:34:51 AM

Nothing is stopping from women joining in. People having certain opinions about humanoids with vaginas isn't banning women from this forum.  

I'm not against a bit of 'harden the f**k up' as far as online speech goes, but I'm also not averse to initiatives to bring counter-voices in to verbally smack them down.
As we saw with the whole jessy/vegetta thing - that can work pretty nicely.

In the meantime - anyone should be able to smack down that crap whether or not they have penis and identify as male,female or something else; without retarded claims of 'white knighting'.   Well - claim it if you want - but it's dumb.

Nobody's *forcing* you to be a nice person Atlas, I'm just arguing for it in general as a measure which will
a) make this place a little more representative of society as a whole (nearly half the potential population avoiding it isn't a good start)
b) grow the Bitcoin userbase

Do you really have a problem with that?

I just don't find male:female ratios relevant at all. People associate as they please. There are plenty of cultural and psychological reasons for why there aren't many women here and it goes beyond misogynism.

High levels of estrogen and cortisol can change a person.
Atlas

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 08:39:54 AM

Quote from: Lolie
Atlas is organising a Texas meet-up. I hope a woman Bitcoiner attends and punches him in the balls.

Kinky.
The_Duke

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

Lead Core BitKitty Developer

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 08:47:01 AM

It's one thing for the EFF not to accept Bitcoin for it's own reasons specific to legal advocacy - but from the above, we see that their about-face and public statements continue to damage Bitcoin's reputation in the non-profit sphere.

Are you suggesting that an organisation that is not a defacto, official, recognised body of authority, but just a foundation that is supposed to give advise and steer in a certain direction is actually being listened to by people to the extend it has an effect on things? That people don't look further than the first thing they see and just take their truth for granted? And you're not happy with how this foundation operates? Because it hurts bitcoin? That's a really bad thing indeed. My god, imagine that happening to bitcoin!  Shocked

But what is so great about this? The BEST way to change this (according to a founding member of the foundation) is to become a member and make your vote count. Good luck, and please let us know how it worked out for you! Cheesy

NOT a member of the so called ''Bitcoin Foundation''. Choose Independence!

Donate to the BitKitty Foundation instead! -> 1Fd4yLneGmxRHnPi6WCMC2hAMzaWvDePF9 <-
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 08:48:39 AM

/r/MensRights must be very proud of you.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
Atlas

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 08:59:46 AM

/r/MensRights must be very proud of you.

I like /r/AndrogynousRights myself.
Luno

Activity: 504

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 09:00:19 AM

Responding to earlier in this thread about the EFF.

You could ask the EFF to let their lawyer elaborate on, in writing, the pitfals in Bitcoin, taxation and law he considers dangerous. That would be helpful to Bitcoin being able to give an "official" argumented response to this, not to prove EFF wrong in general about this, but to disprove the arguments. If we ask them to help us on this it would make no sense to rant the EFF for being against Bitcoin. The EFF is important to the world for a lot of other reasons.

The Bitcoin Foundation is valuable exactly for a situation like this, and I'm sure they will need a lawyer at some point too.

There are a lot of NGO's, no need to force someone to be an early adopter.
Eiii

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 09:35:52 AM

I don't think this is a huge deal. The EFF is just advising that bitcoin could be a legal liability-- not that bitcoins are worthless, not that they're a fraud, not any of the countless things that people have said to try to discredit bitcoin. Just that adopting it may cause legal troubles down the road. If you think they're misadvising their clients by doing that, you're insane.

It'd be great if the EFF started pushing bitcoin, sure. There's no doubt in my mind that bitcoin or some similar cryptocurrency will significantly change how we transfer money in the next few decades regardless of what the EFF thinks. They don't have any obligation to defend or support bitcoin and I don't see why we should be upset at them for giving reasonable legal advice.
Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 10:05:24 AM

This would be a good test case for the Bitcoin Foundation, no? Try and get the EFF to change their stand on Bitcoin.
FLHippy

Activity: 784
Merit: 101

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 10:17:26 AM

I've now pointed out to them the underrepresentation of women in the bitcoin community - along with how misogynistic it can be in here:
"How do we get the women on board?' https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=32386.0

Not the greatest advertisement for this community I'll admit; but if their mission really is to get females more involved in open source Technology - you'd think they'd be interested in addressing this imbalance.

You gotta make the money first. Then when you get the money you get the power. Then when you get the power, then you get the women.

WHALES HEAVEN
Custody-free Swapping Platform
◈  ────────  Reddit ⬝  BountyWebsiteTelegramTwitterGitHub  ────────  ◈
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2349

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 10:40:22 AM

This would be a good test case for the Bitcoin Foundation, no? Try and get the EFF to change their stand on Bitcoin.

meh, foundations ... who needs 'em?

the EFF (epic freedom fail) and TBF (the bitcoin fail) can get together and do nothing about everything and put the worlds to rights

Shadow383

Activity: 336

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 10:44:37 AM

How can accepting bitcoin be a problem with services like bit-pay around  Huh
sharky112065

Activity: 383

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 12:11:43 PM

Lame  Sad

Donations welcome: 12KaKtrK52iQjPdtsJq7fJ7smC32tXWbWr
Insu Dra

Activity: 182

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 12:21:11 PM

I'm not against a bit of 'harden the f**k up' as far as online speech goes

Sorry can't resist: HTFU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgvM7av1o1Q

"drugs, guns, and gambling for anyone and everyone!"
Saturn7

Activity: 147

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 12:26:09 PM

I don't see what the problem is with accepting bitcoin.

I have a registered company in the UK which is managed by a chartered accountant, and they simply treat bitcoins as shares of a company.

In the same way companies can get shares of another company in exchange for something like intellectual property.

Taxes only come in when you convert bitcoins into cash. In the same way you are charged taxes for shares being sold.

First there was Fire, then Electricity, and now Bitcoins Wink
stevegee58
Legendary

Activity: 916
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 12:30:14 PM

Bitcoin is interesting, but I really can't identify with this religious fanaticism that requires companies, organizations etc to either be "true believers" or "heretics".

You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.
Atlas

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 12:31:22 PM

Bitcoin is interesting, but I really can't identify with this religious fanaticism that requires companies, organizations etc to either be "true believers" or "heretics".

We just want Bitcoin to survive as long as possible. Corporate hegemony can end things if we let it.
Sant001

Activity: 182

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 12:37:12 PM

Isn't this what the Bitcoin Foundation is for?

Hopefully TBF and their lawyers will be able to answer any legal, tax, accounting questions that the EFF or any other big organizations may have about accepting bitcoins.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: