Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 12:13:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows 10 and Bitcoin Discussion  (Read 7297 times)
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 06:55:50 PM

why does the user have to turn these "features" off?

That is a huge red flag.
It ask during the installation process if you want certain features on and it is a toggle switch, of course the default will be on so they can gather more data.

Just because a politician says they will do something does that mean they will?

How is that any different just because a piece of software "asks" you if you want something done that it actually will do it?

Agenda supersedes functionality in today's day in age.

It's better to be cynical (and wrong) than to be robbed and out of pocket while trusting.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

amiryaqot
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 06:59:22 PM

I am still on Windows7 i also got accepted their invitation for free upgrade to Windows10 but luckily not moved to this, after these kind of privacy related issue from Windows10 suffering now i am afraid to take step to upgrade my current Windows so i keep using this until it will get resolved.
Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 07:06:05 PM

Windows 8 is a mess.
Windows 10 is a joke.

That why i want a stable version for ... Windows XP (modified and free now) 
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3514
Merit: 6158

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 07:08:14 PM

I'am not saying that I do trust Microsoft on my bitcoins but they have no use for it and from what I read on CoinTelegraph couple of hours ago basically transactions under surveillance and nothing such private keys files should be in public for them . here is the quote
If this is the case, then using Bitcoin through your device could expose your transactions to external surveillance.
Also since July 29 when it came out , a lot of tutorials came out to get your privacy back (most of people used the express and recommended installation and didn't custom install their windows , even those who did have an issue of privacy but much less) .
I will be making a topic on Beginners and Help section tomorow about those things including other stuff to protect your self .

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
AgentofCoin
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 07:19:14 PM

I'am not saying that I do trust Microsoft on my bitcoins but they have no use for it ...

They might not steal your bitcoins or have any use for it, but storing any of your data,
including wallet passwords, address copy/pastes, privatekey copy/pastes, and etc., is useful information.

If Microsoft servers are compromised, either by government or hacker, that information is valuable to them (the intruder).

I support a decentralized & unregulatable ledger first, with safe scaling over time.
Request a signed message if you are associating with anyone claiming to be me.
Mickeyb

Activity: 798

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 07:25:49 PM

Windows 8 has come out, I kept using 7. Now Windows 10 is coming out and I will still be using 7. Together with xp, Windows 7 is their best product by far so why change something that is working well.

Also, I don't like all of the changes that have been implemented on 8 and now continued on 10, that's why I erased 8 from a new machine and put a 7 on it.
funkenstein
Legendary

Activity: 1066
Merit: 1050

Khazad ai-menu!

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2015, 07:52:09 PM

OMG this thread is LOLZ you trolls had me seriously believing there that people still used Winblows!!  

Bwhahahaaa

I mean, this being the forum of open source currency and all, which only works because open source, and open source only could ever work for this kind of thing...  

, anyway nicely done trollzz

"Give me control over a coin's checkpoints and I care not who mines its blocks."
http://vtscc.org  http://woodcoin.info
Meuh6879
Legendary

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 07:54:32 PM

OMG this thread is LOLZ you trolls had me seriously believing there that people still used Winblows!!  

try to work with professionnal device with proprietary DRIVERS on linux ...
and after this, try to read proprietary FILES on free app from linux world ...
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 07:58:06 PM

I assumed all versions of Windows did this to some extent anyway. If every single Windows 10 user was fully informed of what was going on I wonder how many would actually care. It's becoming a rather strange world.

And I've tried multiple versions of Linux plenty of times. I think it's a load of shit. There. I said it.

Meuh6879
Legendary

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 08:01:32 PM

The best moment is when i see a MAC in a doctor office ... with a WINDOWS SERVER remote (TSE or VNC like) to run is crapy old software (to read radiographic or old folder client).
funkenstein
Legendary

Activity: 1066
Merit: 1050

Khazad ai-menu!

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2015, 08:01:58 PM

try to work with professionnal device with proprietary DRIVERS on linux ...
and after this, try to read proprietary FILES on free app from linux world ...

??  "Now try reading it - - -  with your handcuffs OFF."     

Uh, ok, sure.  I can do that, lol. 

"Give me control over a coin's checkpoints and I care not who mines its blocks."
http://vtscc.org  http://woodcoin.info
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2015, 08:09:01 PM

keep using windows 7 or 8.
because we are still doubting about the bugs in windows 10.
you won't understand what the bugs will affect your computer if you are not a pro of computing.
-snip-
Actually no. If you think that bugs that are not visible to the users are going to cause any real trouble, then you're mistaken. The OS would be fundamentally flawed then, which it is not.
I've upgraded 1 system to Windows 10 and have disabled everything while installing. I have not experienced a single bug yet aside from Windows Update failing/glitching. However, I do not use Bitcoin on that system and will probably not use it. Windows 10 definitely wants a lot of information, even location which is pretty useless if you're using a PC.

I have been reading that the new Windows 10 OS has a LOT of privacy-destroying "features", including a rudimentary keystroke logger.  I read that that using it will expose passwords and other sensitive info to Microsoft.
I would like to get exact information on this keystroke logger. It looks like people aren't aware that they could just install Windows 7 inside a VM on a Windows 10 machine and run Bitcoin there. However, a keystroke logger would make this workaround obsolete.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Meuh6879
Legendary

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 08:14:18 PM

However, I do not use Bitcoin on that system and will probably not use it. Windows 10 definitely wants a lot of information, even location which is pretty useless if you're using a PC.

you don't known the censorship of youtube and many many many others website (like ebay) ?
trust me, you don't want to transmit your country location.  Roll Eyes
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2015, 08:22:43 PM

you don't known the censorship of youtube and many many many others website (like ebay) ?
trust me, you don't want to transmit your country location.  Roll Eyes
Such websites do not need your OS to transmit that information as you will be located and blocked via ISP (unless you're using VPN/proxy/other).

It want's location for cortana which allows you to ask things like " what is the closest chinese food", or "what are the movie times" It is merging them for the Windows 10 pro on the surface tablets.
I've tried Cortana and it is no big deal. It often confuses words as well. Besides, they ask you to turn location on before using Cortana.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Racey
Legendary

Activity: 1134

Soon, I have to go away.

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 08:58:45 PM

If you upgrade to Windows 10 or get a device that already has it installed, your default browser is set to Microsoft Edge by Windows, so we created support materials to show you how to restore or choose Firefox as your default browser in Windows 10.

Firefox Has a New Look for Windows 10

And while you are at it, update Firefox now, go to (customize( ? (about) thats it updates  are immediate.

And its gone.
bitllionaire
Legendary

Activity: 1120

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 09:07:58 PM

I have windows 10 and all my wallets in the pc

do I have to worry ?
BitUsher
Legendary

Activity: 994
Merit: 1034

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 09:21:33 PM

When windows 7 came out, users complained that the network tray icon doesn't blink to show activity, a freeware utility came out to solve that. Windows 8 didn't have a classic start button, freeware solved that too. So I think the privacy problem will also be solved by a freeware utility soon. Wait a couple of months and someone will release one.

Couple of months?
A executable script that fixes all concerns came out within days of release.

https://github.com/10se1ucgo/DisableWinTracking/releases
unamis76
Legendary

Merit: 1009

View Profile
August 13, 2015, 09:33:51 PM

Since I tested Windows 10 in the beginning of this year I was really anxious to have the final version on my machines, so I jumped on it right after news hit that build 10240 distributed on Microsoft Insider was RTM. There has been an incredible fuzz about this version for quite some time now, for positive and negative things. So far I have it on my main machines and I'm happy. One of the things that made me jump was the fact that I had 3 inactivated legit keys right out of the gate without spending any dime.

Put it on my laptop first, went from Ubuntu 15.04 to Windows 10 10130 then to 10240, no big issues, running smoothly. Had Bitcoin Core, Armory and Electrum there, simply stopped using them on this PC. Did the same on my Desktop (the only difference being starting on Windows 8.1), it had Bitcoin Core and now has Armory and I also tested Electrum. All run nicely.

Windows 10 can keylog at will all my computer's empty online wallets Smiley I don't store funds over 5 ou 10$ for quite some time.

Normally, as people say, when stuff is free, we are the products... My love to test all the newest OS's surpasses this, so I think it's a fair tradeoff, for now, and all Bitcoin related apps seem to be working fine, so no issues for me in having Windows 10.
Za1n
Legendary

Activity: 1078

View Profile
August 14, 2015, 02:31:37 AM

When windows 7 came out, users complained that the network tray icon doesn't blink to show activity, a freeware utility came out to solve that. Windows 8 didn't have a classic start button, freeware solved that too. So I think the privacy problem will also be solved by a freeware utility soon. Wait a couple of months and someone will release one.

Couple of months?

The problem with this is the fact that in the past Microsoft has re-enabled the "default settings" on certain patches, thus you would still need to keep an eye on it long term to make sure it doesn't become accidentally undone. Wink
Wary

Activity: 798

Who's there?

View Profile
August 14, 2015, 04:19:18 AM

Couple of months?

Can we trust this script more than we trust Windows?

Fairplay medal of dnaleor's trading simulator. Smiley
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: