Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 01:09:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows 10 and Bitcoin Discussion  (Read 7296 times)
TheIrishman
Legendary

Activity: 1049
Merit: 1006

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 04:07:31 AM

Rolling Back From Windows 10 To Your Older OS Appears Problematic

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-10-revert-os,29727.html

The only way to know if you like Windows 10 or not, of course, is to upgrade your system and give it a try. However, if you want to go back to your old OS, it appears that you're on a timer: Microsoft confirmed to Tom's Hardware that users will have only one month to decide if they want to continue with Windows 10 or not. A moderator on Tom's Hardware (darkbreeze) first discovered this issue, and when we reached out to Microsoft for more information, the answers we received raised some troubling potential issues.

Our initial thought was that this "one month" business simply meant you couldn't revert directly back to an old OS from Windows 10, but what about rolling back by simply performing a clean installation of your old OS? When we asked about that specifically, Microsoft dodged the question. At this point, then, we aren't certain if you can return to your old OS by using a clean install, because it is possible that Microsoft will invalidate old activation codes after that first month. This would seem in some way to align with Microsoft's upgrade deal, as you can only get your free Windows 10 by upgrading from your old OS; you can't use an old activation code.

If you want a clean install of Windows 10, you must first upgrade from your old OS to Windows 10, and then re-install Windows 10 again (from installation media). Even though it formats your hard drive during installation, Windows 10 somehow remembers that you previously upgraded from an older OS, and it will self-activate after installation. It isn't clear how Windows 10 does this, but it's likely because it saves the activation code somewhere else inside of your hardware. Some sort of online account-based activation would be far more conventional, but there is reason to suspect this other method is being used.

Microsoft informed us that a "meaningful" change to the hardware may require you to contact customer support in order to activate the system. This means that if you upgrade your system with a new motherboard or CPU, you may not be able to install Windows 10 without having to go through Microsoft's customer support, and even then, you may not be able to activate the system. Microsoft has stated that even with customer support, some hardware changes will invalidate your free copy of Windows 10 and require you to purchase one.

The problem gets worse for users who have a part go bad and need a replacement, as they don't have a choice; they need to fix the part or they can't use their PC, and the cost of that repair, then, would also have to include whatever Microsoft is charging for a new copy of Windows 10 at the time. You could simply go back to your old OS at that point to save a buck, but - again, if Microsoft invalidates your old activation code, you may be stuck having to buy a new copy of Windows 10 anyway.

Source: Tom's Hardware
Herbert2020
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1137

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 05:01:34 AM

i am still using windows 7 and have no problem so far with it. and as far as your concerns go, you can always use offline wallets and only broadcast the signed transactions on your online pc.

Weak hands have been complaining about missing out ever since bitcoin was $1 and never buy the dip.
Whales are those who keep buying the dip.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2015, 04:49:50 PM

Windows 10 can seek out pirated software
Microsoft recently updated its EULA for Windows 10, noting that the operating system can seek out and potentially disable any pirated software, like games, running on your PC. The new clause in question is found under section 7b of the EULA, which says that Microsoft may check your software at any time and download updates or make configuration changes.
“We may automatically check your version of the software and download software updates or configuration changes, including those that prevent you from accessing the Services, playing counterfeit games, or using unauthorized hardware peripheral devices. You may also be required to update the software to continue using the Services”.

Instead of becoming better, they are making things worse. Luckily I've already downgraded. It looks like Windows 7 will be the best mainstream OS for people who are aware of the situation. Millions were tricked into this 'free' update.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
onemorexmr

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 06:33:05 PM

Microsoft recently updated its EULA for Windows 10, noting that the operating system can seek out and potentially disable any pirated software, like games, running on your PC. The new clause in question is found under section 7b of the EULA, which says that Microsoft may check your software at any time and download updates or make configuration changes.
“We may automatically check your version of the software and download software updates or configuration changes, including those that prevent you from accessing the Services, playing counterfeit games, or using unauthorized hardware peripheral devices. You may also be required to update the software to continue using the Services”.

Instead of becoming better, they are making things worse. Luckily I've already downgraded. It looks like Windows 7 will be the best mainstream OS for people who are aware of the situation. Millions were tricked into this 'free' update.
Again I bet this is more for their Windows APPs on their tablet side but it is definitely over reaching their boundaries, if this keeps up I will go ahead and roll back to 8.1. They need to remember desktops are their bread and butter not tablets.

afaik its for windows-online-accounts which are needed for things like cartana and may be used as a login.
btw also some hardware may get you flagged and banned from there. not sure what hardware. maybe some other controllers?

XMR || Monero || monerodice.net || xmr.to || mymonero.com || openalias.org || you think bitcoin is fungible? watch this
TransaDox

Activity: 219
Merit: 102

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 06:33:52 PM

Again I bet this is more for their Windows APPs on their tablet side but it is definitely over reaching their boundaries, if this keeps up I will go ahead and roll back to 8.1. They need to remember desktops are their bread and butter not tablets.

They need to remember that is it our hardware and we have just bought some of their software to run on it. Using their online services should not be a pre-requisit for using the software on our hardware. Its not theirs and they are not the internet prison service searching our cells, confiscating belongings and turning lights on and off as they see fit.
Ilove-Obama

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 06:54:32 PM

I hope that this topic is in the right part of the forum, it's technical and relates to a big risk re Bitcoin.

I have been reading that the new Windows 10 OS has a LOT of privacy-destroying "features", including a rudimentary keystroke logger.  I read that that using it will expose passwords and other sensitive info to Microsoft.

But, what I have read was not at technical blogs or websites!  I did see this item at Reddit:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/3grgxn/att_windows_10_serious_threat_to_bitcoin_privacy/

This of course would make use of online wallets risky, but probably hardware wallets (Trezor and Ledger) less so if they were ALREADY setup before Win 10.

I invite comments re Windows 10 and its likely BAD effects on privacy.  Maybe having a computer tech install Win 7, say, after I get my next computer?

(I am not ready for Linux.........)

This is only the beginning, soon all the software will transfer all of your personal data

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
«««« ⪓  FAST CONFIRMATION   ► EDON ICO STARTED SOON  ◄  ⪓  NODE.js tehnology ⪓    »»»»
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
TransaDox

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 07:19:44 PM

Well apple doesn't see it that way and I think Microsoft "thinks" they can make more money if they don't view it that way either but what it will do is push everyone away to a new competitor.
Agreed. It was everyone acceptance of a walled garden that prompted this move. Apple always had a smaller market share but it was Google and Sony that made the software as a service model acceptable for operating systems.

Linux needs to come into the 21st century and put these guys to sleep once and for all.
maku
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 07:29:20 PM

I won't touch windows 10 with a 10'foot pole  Grin

http://localghost.org/posts/a-traffic-analysis-of-windows-10
Omg, This is insane information. I heard about spying, I know that facebook and every other social network is monitored, but to include spying features in windows 10 on such huge scale is unthinkable.
Big brother are watching us all. Now, I will forever stay with some previous M$ OS unless these spying features will be eliminated.
vulcanjedi

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 07:46:09 PM

afaik its for windows-online-accounts which are needed for things like cartana and may be used as a login.
btw also some hardware may get you flagged and banned from there. not sure what hardware. maybe some other controllers?

The hardware Microsoft is trying to disrupt/ban is mods made to xbox 360's and xbox one's. The mods allow you to play copied games. Windows 10 allows you to stream xbox one games to play them on a PC. The wording of Microsoft's EULA is ambiguous enough to cover future possible mods/hacks. They are not worried about controllers Smiley

I upgraded a win 7 pro with win 10 pro on a 5 year old Dell Precision workstation. Mining a handful of gridseed 5 chips for scrypt and U3's and an ultrahoist for SHA256. Still trying to get some solo mining to work on it at the same time. Seems win 10 is working OK. no problems yet.

vj
TransaDox

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 09:49:56 PM

Keeps getting better and better Shocked
Now they are stealing your bandwidth.

To add insult to injury, Microsoft has confirmed it is hijacking users' internet connections to upload software updates to other users, through "peer-to-peer" technology.
Source:

Gamers are going to love their ping times when the forced updates are in progress.
JanaBB

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 17, 2015, 10:34:40 PM

that's why i still use windows 7... I stopped at this version and feel safier;]
BitUsher
Legendary

Activity: 994
Merit: 1034

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 02:00:08 AM

To add insult to injury, Microsoft has confirmed it is hijacking users' internet connections to upload software updates to other users, through "peer-to-peer" technology.
Source:

Gamers are going to love their ping times when the forced updates are in progress.

This is pretty horrible but can be stopped -
WUDO will not use connections marked as metered. To mark a connection as metered click Start > Settings > Network & Internet > Wi‑Fi > Advanced options and use the toggle switch under Set as metered connection.

WUDO can be disabled. Go to Start > Settings > Updates & security > Windows Update > Advanced options and then select Choose how updates are delivered, and use the toggle to turn Delivery Optimization off.
coinableS
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1179

View Profile WWW
August 18, 2015, 02:04:22 AM

Source:

This is pretty horrible but can be stopped -
WUDO will not use connections marked as metered. To mark a connection as metered click Start > Settings > Network & Internet > Wi‑Fi > Advanced options and use the toggle switch under Set as metered connection.

WUDO can be disabled. Go to Start > Settings > Updates & security > Windows Update > Advanced options and then select Choose how updates are delivered, and use the toggle to turn Delivery Optimization off.

Thanks for sharing how to do this. I just updated my settings to disable the "Delivery Optimization" thanks to this.

EternalWingsofGod

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 06:55:10 AM

Considering the push to have all users move to Windows 10 and the suggestions to do it
I am a bit suspicious of their intentions and will be delaying my upgrade until I am certain its non-malware
(Of course once installed activate the settings and look for workarounds but for now I'll hold my current version of Windows)

rinhunter

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 18, 2015, 02:51:30 PM

that's why i still use windows 7... I stopped at this version and feel safier;]

sure?
whether if microsoft dismiss security update to Windows 7 if you still use it? and if you still feel safe?
TheIrishman
Legendary

Activity: 1049
Merit: 1006

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 03:08:37 AM
Last edit: August 26, 2015, 04:51:34 PM by TheIrishman

Why Windows 10 Sucks Or Everything Wrong with Windows 10

http://linuxfonts.narod.ru/why-windows-10-sucks.html

This article was not created to say that Linux is better (it's definitely not). It was created to stop Microsoft fans roaring in regard to Windows 10 and how it's better than Windows 7 in every regard - it's actually worse in most regards aside from DirectX 12 (which is actually hidden from the user and it's only exposed in games).

* Windows 10 spies on you aka phones home (welcome NSA/CIA/thoughtcrime/1984)!

* You've got no real control over crucial features of the OS:

- Windows 10 will have no service packs which means it will always be a work in progress and you are a perpetual beta tester.
   - Forced upgrades you cannot opt out of (and Microsoft have borked quite a lot of them recently so prepare to see your Windows die after installing a new portion of updates - actually Microsoft has already borked one update, read horror stories about KB3081424).

* Windows 10 features terrible UI inconsistency, not limited to:

- Two kinds of fonts antialiasing (ClearType v2 for classic applications and some awful dirty grayish shit for Modern apps).
   - All kinds of varying visual decorations and styles (some people have discovered up to seven varying styles in Windows 10).
   - Absolutely dissimilar classic and modern (PC settings) control panels.
   - Different fonts faces and sizes all around.
   - Different styles of settings for modern apps.
   - Absolutely different context menus and their appearance in different applications and apps.

* Terrible hardly configurable appearance, dubious design choices and extremely limited functionality (vs Windows 7/XP):

- Two Control Panels with absolutely zero thought given to how they differ and why each one should be used.
   - Some Control Widgets are spread between the two Control Panels which is utterly confusing (e.g. Users Management).
   - No Windows classic UI for windows decorations. Windows decorations can hardly be configured at all in Windows 10.
   - An awful choice of colors/palette.
   - Absolutely awful, childish and amateurish icons as if we live in the era of 8bit displays (only rivalled by those in Windows 3.1 from 1992). Windows 2000 in 1999 looked better than Windows 10 in 2015.
   - A big number of Windows 10 apps are still NOT on par with their classical counterparts from Windows 7/Vista/XP (many features are missing or many options are not configurable).
   - The start menu is an unusable abomination. Applications are listed as a list which is nigh impossible to scroll.

* Windows 10 sucks terribly if you are an unlucky user of a metered Internet connection:

- It features huge mandatory system and apps updates (you cannot disable them, you can only postpone the system reboot after their installation).
   - As if it wasn't enough, Windows 10 gets downloaded automatically if you run Windows 7 or 8.1. We are talking about 3 gigabytes of data some people absolutely do not need.
   - It uses your free bandwidth to distribute updates to other users nearby you.

* With Wi-Fi sense enabled anyone you have in your Skype, Outlook or Hotmail contacts lists — and any of your Facebook friends — can be granted automatic access to your Wi-Fi network as long as they're within range.

* A newly created user profile weighs over 300MB (!) while containing zero (!) information about the user.

* A newly created user profile is populated with all the default apps instead of giving the user a choice.

* In certain cases Windows 10 may kill your display if you are an unlucky owner of a laptop made by Alienware, LG or Samsung.

Just before you call me anti-Microsoft, a Linux shill, zealot or fanatic, here's a wonderful list of Linux problems that I've been compiling over the past six years. The truth is I don't plead allegiance to any OS on the market. So, sorry, Windows 10 sucks no less than Linux sucks, it just sucks differently. So far, Microsoft has two great modern OSes: Windows XP and Windows 7 (in the past they had rock solid Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 2000).

Sources:

http://linuxfonts.narod.ru/why-windows-10-sucks.html
https://edri.org/microsofts-new-small-print-how-your-personal-data-abused/
http://localghost.org/posts/a-traffic-analysis-of-windows-10
http://fudzilla.com/news/38470-windows-10-sniffs-for-piracy
http://arstechnica.co.uk/information-technology/2015/08/even-when-told-not-to-windows-10-just-cant-stop-talking-to-microsoft/
http://www.windowscentral.com/windows-10-problems-missing-features
http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/windows-10-upgrade-warning-for-alienware-owners.779449/
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/862417/geforce-drivers/windows-10-official-353-62-drivers-are-killing-samsung-and-lg-notebook-lcd-display-panels/1/

Luqman

Activity: 826
Merit: 263

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 03:26:57 AM

Since windows 10 have many bugs I still quietly enjoy windows 8.1  Roll Eyes
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
August 19, 2015, 03:40:35 AM

Glad I kept my windows 7 VMs.

Probably won't upgrade for a long time.

Microsoft products tend to suck. I hate being a beta user unwillingly or without being told.

This whole windows 10 saga reminds me of Windows Vista saga of bullshit bugs etc.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

BitUsher
Legendary

Activity: 994
Merit: 1034

View Profile
August 21, 2015, 02:47:07 PM

After some more research, testing, and reflection I will leave most of my windows boxes as 7 and put off upgrading to 10 for at least a few years , if not indefinitely. The whole WIN 10 OS is built as more of a cloud based and dependent OS focused on SAAS products for MS to shill and control. Our privacy tweaks don't completely disable this at the moment and may never do a sufficient job. 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  

Jump to: