Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 04:18:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Standard accounting procedure  (Read 3016 times)
bitcoinbear

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 01:25:41 AM

Who of all the assets currently follows GAAP?

CryptoNote needs you! Join the elite merged mining forces right now here in Fantomcoin topic: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=598823.0
reeses
Donator

Activity: 151
Merit: 100

Assholier-than-thou retard magnet

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 01:39:38 AM

I haven't kept up with the IFRS changes to IAS 39 regarding fair value for non-currency financial instruments.  Anyone have expertise in this area as I suspect it's more universally applicable than GAAP since all the "exchanges" are not in the USA at this time.
jborkl (OP)

Activity: 246
Merit: 250

Team Heritage Motorsports

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2012, 01:41:55 AM

None that I see.

I am not asking for gaap, because I don't think its realistic. It varies even from cpa to cpa and state to state to a slight degree.

Real world accounting and proof of work.

Let's start somewhere.

Income
Expenses
Proof of work
Seperate bank account (not so hard on bitcoin, takes like 1 second to make a wallet?)

reeses
Donator

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 01:59:51 AM

None that I see.

I am not asking for gaap, because I don't think its realistic. It varies even from cpa to cpa and state to state to a slight degree.

Real world accounting and proof of work.

Let's start somewhere.

Income
Expenses
Proof of work
Seperate bank account (not so hard on bitcoin, takes like 1 second to make a wallet?)

I'm less concerned about the native btc transactions than the recognition of value when btc must be converted to fiat for expenses.  "FIAT/GOX on date due" is not helpful, given that this forces the asset manager to accept the risk of valuation fluctuation and unrealized gains and losses since GOXUSD or whatever does not transfer immediately.
smickles

Activity: 446
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2012, 02:16:35 AM

Although I am not a CPA, I believe I have followed GAAP for GLBSE:MPOE.ETF and GLBSE:SS
Note however that MPOE.ETF is now winding down.

reeses
Donator

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 02:44:13 AM

Although I am not a CPA, I believe I have followed GAAP for GLBSE:MPOE.ETF and GLBSE:SS

You're also one of the people about whom no one is worried. :-)  (Correlation?)
bitcoinbear

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 02:57:26 AM

And all the other asset operators could learn much by looking at the way you present your reports.

CryptoNote needs you! Join the elite merged mining forces right now here in Fantomcoin topic: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=598823.0
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1025

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 06:26:51 AM

No need to reinvent the wheel here people.  Use GAAP.  It exists for a reason, and there's no reason it doesn't apply to business conducted using Bitcoins vs business conducted using other financial instruments.

The only item in your list that GAAP doesn't apply to is #2.  And to that, I really don't even understand what you are requesting.  Company funds are not to be mixed?  Mixed with what?  Why?

In the real world, mixing personal and corporate funds is called commingling.  It lands you in prison, typically.
If that's what he meant, then I agree, unless the person is on the sole-propriety level of business.  If they are actually incorporated, then yes, the funds absolutely need to be kept separately.  If they are a sole-proprietor or equivalent, they can mix their funds between business and personal.

Sole proprietor means that one person is doing it himself, there is no other entity to mix funds with.  There is no distinction between personal funds and company funds, because the person and the company are the same.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1025

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 06:29:41 AM

Also, I very, very, very highly recommend that people stop referring to their fundraising efforts as "stocks", "shares", "bonds", etc.  If you are in the US and a judge decides that they really are stocks or bonds, you'll probably get fucked for violating SEC regulations.  And if the judge decides that they are not securities, you'll probably get fucked by the FTC for fraud.  Replace with other government agencies in other countries, of course.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
EskimoBob
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

Quality Printing Services by Federal Reserve Bank

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 02:21:50 PM

NO.

We should be using GAAP or IAS.

Coming up with our own standards will undoubtedly lead to confusion, scamming, and any number of other bad things.

+10

jborkl, thank you for starting this thread. Smiley

Representatives of different exchanges, we need to get you on board  here because the exchange is the only source of real trading activities etc. for managed funds/portfolios etc.

While reading what I wrote, use the most friendliest and relaxing voice in your head.
BTW, Things in BTC bubble universes are getting ugly....
Korbman
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 03:46:24 PM

The best type of accounting is easy accounting.

The best type of account is accurate, not easy accounting  Wink

NO.

We should be using GAAP or IAS.

Coming up with our own standards will undoubtedly lead to confusion, scamming, and any number of other bad things.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

If you're new to account, take a look at these example financial sheets to get an idea of what it might look like. Organization is absolutely key in your statements.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: